PDA

View Full Version : WTF??? (Issue to look at in regards to staying logged in)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:24:33 AM
Hey Mr SWFans,

With two people using this PC, we have seen this a fair bit recently -

I would log in.

Look around, maybe post

Go away.

Come back and find Helenias is the person logged in instead of me!

Got any ideas how that could happen?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:12:03 AM
My guess is that there are some corrupted cookies on the PC. Delete them and see if the problem persists.

Helenias Evenstar
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:03:52 PM
I have and this is still the problem we have.

I log in to SWFans

Go wander off to Meras

Come back to SWFans.

Find Marcus is logged in.

Now, my login stays put during a reboot and also looking at other sites - but it always happens if I go to Meras and then come back. Hope that helps.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:31:25 PM
The only thing it can be is a corrupt cookie problem. If you are using IE as your browser, close all the IE windows and delete the cookies through the Internet icon in the control Panel. This will remove all the cookies in the browser. If you leave even one IE window open some cookies will not be deleted and will be left corrupt.

It can only be a corrupt cookie problem because that is all there is involved in staying logged in either here or at Meras, and the cookie’s should be separate because they are stored in relation to the site URL not the software being used.

I visit about 8 or 9 vBs and can tell when I am having cookie problems because at the other vBs besides Meras or SWFans the Mark this Forum as Read feature doesn’t work, while at Meras or SWFans I can usually tell because I read a new topic that has the (typically animated) icon that indicates it is an unread topic and when I reload that forum again that icon is still there after having read the topic.

There are other behaviors very similar to what you describe that I occasionally see when my brother visits and uses his log in. Deleting all the cookies via the method I suggest has always worked 100% of the time. Of course it means that any Internet site I was logged into before I will have to log into again to reestablish my cookie for that site, but it does work.

Helenias Evenstar
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:41:54 PM
Allright, I'll do as you suggest.

Taylor Millard
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:45:44 PM
That's happened to me too. Actually happened twice on this PC and once at the station. Now I just log out before I leave.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:47:10 PM
The recent site move and the incorporation of having two seperate URLs that function for this site are bound to make corrupt cookies even more common. :x

Nupraptor
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:49:15 PM
Actually, I was wondering if maybe they could possibly have two seperate cookies, one for each login. I don't think it's possible, but it may be.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:12:39 PM
It appears we can maybe, because at swforums.net I am using a different style than I am at sw-fans.net, but many of the links for CP and such automatically place the sw-fans.net URL onto the address, so reliable it isn't.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:02:25 PM
Looks like you can be logged in with different names at the two different URLs. That may be the cause of Helenais' problem too. It could be that she was logged into swforums.net and she followed a footer link from Meras that led to sw-fans.net where Marcus was logged in.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:32:45 PM
:: Looks at URL ::

You know, that could be right. I'm on swfans.net Looking at history, she was using sw-fans.net I'll log and keep you informed.