PDA

View Full Version : A Rising Concern - Council (open)

Estelle Russard
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:42:02 PM
Estelle Russard had grown bolder in her time at the Greater Jedi Order.

From arriving as a young wide-eyed and all together naive girl from the rural town of Tr' Nuva, her acceptance and subsequent training as a Jedi padawan and the months following her promotion to Knight, had seen quite a transformation in the shy, idealistic girl.

Her personality, in essence, was still the same - she was still the same compassionate, empathetic and kind person she had always tried to be. Only now she was stronger and equipped to put those traits to use in order to help others. She was wiser now in the ways of the Jedi - as well as wiser in the ways of the world. She was not as innocent and not as inexperienced. She had lived a little and seen a lot. In short, she had grown up.

This by no means meant she had "arrived." Far from it, and she knew that better than anyone. But what it did mean, was that she had a confidence, both in herself and her ability - and also in her own judgement. To a degree.

This was why she was here.

She entered into the Council Room of the Greater Jedi Order, purposefully, though a little apprehensive. What she had come to say may not prove too popular. But she felt compelled.
Bowing respectfully to the Council members and those present, she spoke as to the reason she was there.

"Please may I have a word with the Council. There is something that I wish to voice to you and seek your wisdom on."

She paused, taking a deep breath, before continuing.

"It is in regard to the young man Jackson DeWitt."

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:45:17 PM
Navaria spoke up first.

"Of course. The floor is yours, Jedi Knight Russard."

She had heard about this young man but really did not know much of the situation unfortunately. This would help to open her eyes to what was on the mind of DeWitt and Russard.

Estelle Russard
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:11:53 PM
Nodding, Estelle shifted her weight a little on her feet. The topic was not an easy one, and though she was convinced in her own mind of which she spoke, she still felt awkward about it.

She was glad Navaria was here. Her insight had time and again proven invaluable to the Order.

"Thankyou, Master Tarkin."

She breathed calmly.

"What I wish to say is difficult.

I am fully of the persuasion that people must have aspirations and goals to work toward. To seek to grow beyond ones limited abilites and obtain a greater calling.

The young man Jackson DeWitt is full of such dreams as these. He has determination and enthusiasm. No one can deny this. However, these things alone, are not enough.

I dont know if you have had any contact with him at all, but I have spoken to him a couple of times. Each time I have felt a fear for him. He sets himself to lofty a task. His future is uncertain - I feel this in the Force. He does not appear force sensitive to me in any way.

He believes he will be a padawan one day. I dont believe we should give him such false hope. "

Liam Jinn
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:13:52 PM
"Are you certain that he is not force sensitive?"

Liam's eyes slowly lifted from the council floor to Estelle.

"Perhaps we should have someone test him, if there is a doubt. I would hate to turn away a possible recruit if there is no need."

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 21st, 2002, 05:10:32 PM
"Yes. He really should be tested first. For if he is at least able to sense the Force, then there is hope for him. But, if he is not, then you are correct, Russard. We must approach him with care and explain the situation to him fully.

First things first. Where is DeWitt so he can be tested? And, althought I am not willing to agree to such things, but in this case I will make an exception because of the sensitivity of this manner.... Do not tell him what the test is for. After the results are known, we can proceed properly."

Zeke
Oct 21st, 2002, 05:20:26 PM
Zeke stepped forward from his spot near the Council Chamber's door.

"Um...if I may speak...?" he asked.

OOC: If you'd rather this was just Estelle talking with the council, delete this...

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:16:10 PM
"Zeke."

Her eyes locked upon the Knight.

"Step forward and state what is on your mind."

Zeke
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:56:54 PM
"I hired him to be the groundskeeper at the Academy, gave him space in my room to live, and have been watching him to some degree since his arrival. I feel that yes, he CAN become a Padawan. I don't like the idea of putting him through a test, but if we must test him, allow me to have a hand in it."

Estelle Russard
Oct 26th, 2002, 06:41:38 PM
Estelle agreed with Liam's suggestion of a test, and nodded as Navaria's reasoning was similar to her own.

It would be a shame, yes, to loose a potential padawan - but a disaster should they place a mantel upon one who was not able to bear it.

She looked over to Zeke. He was one of the worst for encouraging Jacksons hopes, but he and the young man had become friends. DeWitt would trust him and feel safe with him, no doubt.

"I agree DeWitt should be tested"

Estelle shifted nervously on her feet, honesty making her state her opinion, though it was slightly contrary to the more experienced Navaria. If she was wrong, Nav would tell her so, and she would leave it as the council decided best. Well, here goes..

"but I feel he should know about it. Atleast he will know, we are taking his desire to become a padawan seriously.
I also feel that Zeke should be involved in the process. Jackson knows him and the process may go easier for that reason."

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:40:31 PM
"Zeke, as much as your enthusiam is appreciated, especially by DeWitt, not everyone can be a Padawan. A Padawan is a student of the Force and if there is no ability to sense the Force in the first place, you are setting up this young man for a terrible fall."

Her attention shifted back to Estelle. She could sense that the Knight was a bit reluctant to speak in contrary to Navaria.

"You have known DeWitt the longest, Russard?"

Zeke
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:51:02 PM
Zeke simply bowed, and allowed the conversation to continue. He had no counter for Navaria, at least not now. He returned to his corner by the door and listened attentively. He'd figure something out.

Estelle Russard
Oct 31st, 2002, 01:18:19 AM
"I couldn't really answer that accurately, Master Tarkin. I did note his arrival very soon after he came to the Order, but I was not the first to meet him.

I have spoken to Jackson several times, but I would not say that I am close to him, or even that I know him well. There are others here that would be closer to him than myself. My concerns rise from the clouded feelings in the force that I get from him."

Oriadin
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:08:11 AM
Oriadin had heard about this meeting to talk about Jackson so went along to hear what was being said. Oriadin stepped forward to took a look over each member of the council. It seemed as though Navaria was leading this discussion so Oriadin aimed what he had to say at her. He bowed as a mark of respect for the wise Jedi then began.

--If I may... Its possible that I have known Jackson for the longest. I was the first one to greet him when he came to the Order and Ive spoken to him on a number of occasions now.

He has a heart of gold and his determination is a credit to him. I have found that many people here but cant help but like the man. He's fairly simple but he makes do with what he has.--

He glanced back to Estelle, recalling a discussion he had with her not too long ago.

--So far I havent been able to detect any force sesitivity from him. I also think that a test would be a wise decision. Its the only way to know for sure. If I may suggest though, there could be a danger in training Jackson. I have spoken to him about why it is he wants to become a Jedi. His answer troubled me somewhat. He told me in not so many words that he wanted to show everybody that had put him down, that he could make it. He wanted to make an example to those like him to chase thier dreams and to never give up.

As good as that is, he didnt mention a want to protect the galaxy or to take care of the innocent. It did sound as if it were for personal gain, which is worrying. If he is to be trained, I think it would be a good idea for his Master to be aware of this.--

AmazonBabe
Oct 31st, 2002, 05:07:01 PM
:: AB was seated beside Navaria, and listened as the others spoke. When she saw a time to speak, she did so. ::

I have not had the pleasure of meeting this young man as of yet.

A test would certainly ascertain whether he is Force-sensitive or not. But I do agree with Master Navaria that we shoud not "lead him on" if there is no chance for him to become a Padawan.

:: She looked to Oriadin. ::

As to what you have said about him doing this for personal gain, we shall also question him at the time of the test.

Zeke
Oct 31st, 2002, 06:55:50 PM
"When's it gonna be and what's it gonna be?"

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:49:13 PM
"The test? There are a few approaches but we could make things quite simple and take a blood sample. But that does not always tell the whole tale. One of the Council should approach him and make in inquiry into his desire of being a Jedi."

She looked towards AB.

"Then we can also ascertain his true motives. Whether it is for personal gain or not."

Her focus returned to rest upon both Zeke and Estelle.

"I have tested a Padawan myself when he arrived here through mediation and a simple exercise to be confident that he was Force Sensitive. I can do the same for DeWitt if my fellow Council Members agree to it and the method of testing."

Navaria looked to Estelle with an understanding smile.

"I realize why you would want him to know he is being tested but that could also affect his answers to the questioning. He may not realize that he would be doing this, but it is a very distinct possibility. As you said, he is willing to do anything to be accepted and trained and I would want to hear his own words without being influenced by a test. Otherwise, it would not be a test now would it?"

Estelle Russard
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:12:49 AM
The advice from Navaria and AB seemed sound to Estelle and she nodded her agreement.

"Thankyou for your help in this - the Council, I know, will do what is best."

She waited to see if Zeke or Oriadin had anything further to add, before asking her leave again of the Council.

She hoped for Jackson's sake the testing process would be short and fast.

Oriadin
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:52:34 AM
Oriadin nodded signifying he had nothing else to add.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:44:17 AM
She nodded both to Estelle and Oriadin.

"And I thank you both for speaking your mind in relation to this matter. Your words always help the Council in its decision."

Navaria looked to Zeke if he had anything further to say.

Zeke
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:46:33 AM
Zeke pondered, trying to think of something...but still he had no counter.

"Well then, let's hop to. A test it is."

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:24:28 PM
"Very well."

She looked to her peers sitting with her.

"Does the rest of the Council have anything else to add to my proposal?"