PDA

View Full Version : Programming Job - HELP PLEASE!

Oriadin
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:46:45 AM
Well, im trying to get into programming but I just cant seem to get anywhere. Ive applied for countless programming jobs but each and everyone says not enough experience or not the right qualifications. I recently sent an email to some guy asking for programmers to ask what he could suggest was best for me. Here are the emails, mine first, then his reply.

------------------

Hello, I found your advertisement on the fish4 website, asking for people to apply for a job in Web Development, using ASP, SQL, Html etc. and was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am interested in this line of work but am unqualified. I am learning VB script and ASP at the moment from a book and I have done my NVQ levels 2 and 3 in 'C' programming but as you probably know, this doesn't really stand up to people who have far better qualifications. I was wondering if you could tell me what qualifications you are usually looking for? Is it a degree and if so does it have to be on a specific subject? I'm considering doing a course with the Open University you see. Problem is they don't seem to do a specific programming course. The best I could find was BSc (Hons) Information Technology and Computing. I don't really want to have to go through and pay for the course only to find that employers are looking for something else. I would be very grateful if you could tell me if you think a course like this would better my chances of finding this type of work. If not, is there something else you can suggest?

Thank you very much for your time, it's very much appreciated.

----------------------

Most of the people applying for jobs at this level are degree standard - but the most important thing we look for is experience. So for somebody with say 3 years experience in a web consultancy academic qualificattions are not really that important.

My advice would be to try to get in somewhere, working for peanuts if necessary to build up your experience and skills.

============

Now, out of all the people here, there must be some programmers and if there are, I really need your advice on what you think I should do.

1. Do I do the course?
2. How do I get my foot in the door?

For everyones information, NVQ level 2 is like high school level, what we in the UK call GCSE's.
NVQ level 3 is after high school but before University. Like A levels if you know what they are.

Any input would be great, thanks.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 17th, 2002, 07:48:52 AM
Make websites, write code for fun. The only way to show you know what you're doing is to code things out. I have a friend in North Carolina who clinched his job because of the website he wrote for the TFC clan we were in. Make a webserver so you can have it locally managed. This should give you some experince with a SQL DB.

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:49:32 AM
I hate C. I dislike Java. Programming to do with Neural Networks is bleeding confusing, and will no doubt make me fail my Uni course and give me a nervous breakdown. But Web-based programming is fun.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:42:13 PM
Ori - if you need any help with C, Visual Basic and some other forms of coding, I have a good few friends who are spend most of their time coding stuff like that, mostly MUD's, so I can pass on an email or two to you in PM if you want.

Oriadin
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:12:40 PM
Thats guys. Jenny, I'll let you know. Im pretty much ok at the moment. Dont have any real questions I need to ask at the moment. I'll let you know if I do though.

So whats everyones oppinion on me doing the Uni course?

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:55:20 PM
Just bare in mind that BSCs are a lot of work.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:12:37 PM
The fact is the best programmers are self taught. I have seen Uni Grads that aint worth crap, yet self taughts that are mind blowing.

In this household, Helen can program. She knows C, VB, she once did FORTRAN and Pascal, I used to know COBOL and IBM's JCL well. But now she's digging into HTML. And as per normal when it comes to programming, she picks it up in seconds.

To be a programmer, you also really have to have the knack. While programming can be taught, the best really do have a love of code that goes beyond what any teacher could impart. Also, bizarrely, I would guess out of the 5 best programmers I have met (and in 15 years of working on computers, I've met a lot), 4 are women. The very best was male, but he had no life outside of computers and he was simply brilliant. The second best was 40'sh Hindu lady, who would come in at 9am, have lunch at 12:30, go home at 2:30, yet produce incredible code and a lot of it - never said a word to anyone, but just coded. Eye watering stuff -_-

I can code and I certainly can read it.... but I have no love of doing it.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:23:53 PM
^Bottom statement is my problem right there. But I do dearly love playing with cisco routers. ^_^

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:29:19 PM
Cisco's are da b0mb. I luv playing with Cisco gear esp since n00bs and tossers dont go near that type of stuff. Real Cisco setup seperates the hackers from the script kiddies

Oriadin
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:49:56 AM
Cisco... I havent got a clue what that is!

As for programming, I got taught C, learnt VB by myslef and am in the process of learning VB script and Java Script. VB script is pretty simple as its very similar to VB. I would like to learn C++ at some point.

I love programming but im not that great. Not yet anyways. Im getting there though :)

Severen Morkonis
Oct 18th, 2002, 08:07:53 AM
I got a mate at work that Knows C++ Scripting and HTML,VRTML and other langs on the comp....i know HTML off by heart but man..this guys a nut job over it lol...

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:41:26 AM
I struggle to remember code. If I have all my previous programs Im alright, but ask me to do some on its own? I struggle.

And on a course with so much programming. DOnt think I could have planned it worse :)

<blink>Testing</blink>