PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Games?

imported_Eve
Oct 16th, 2002, 06:54:07 AM
I don't know if someone already had this idea, but I was wondering if we wanted to try something that would encourage participation in the community, and would reduce boredom for me on Sundays?

I thought maybe, on Sundays, or any day that you think would be good - there could be some sort of schedule made for playing/signing into PC games (which would only be starwars, I suppose).

Most games are ready for playing opponets over the net. Say that at 2:00 pm on Sundays, there is a time for everyone to sign into, say (for example) "Racer". You could have ten SWForum members racing eachother. Or people having lightsaber fights in "Jedi Knight", or something.

Maybe we have three games going at a time. Stats could be kept in a forum here, and discussion otherwise.

I think it would add one more aspect to this community that others like it don't have. It increases the SW atmosphere around here, and thus, could inspire RPing. It gives people one more thing to do 'round here, and gives SWForums the "one-up" on other SW communities.

I think some people probably do this anyway, but I'm suggesting that this community coordinate a schedule, so people can here at at a certain time and join in. If no one participates, then we're no worse off here.

What do y'all think?

Evil Hobgoblin
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:52:53 AM
It sounds good.

... too bad I can't get in on it. :/

Morgan Evanar
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:31:04 AM
It sounds nice but won't work. No one has real bandwith (such as a full T1) available, and all of these games really need a dedicated server.

Very few people are on broadband and the experince of dialup gaming is rather lacking. Also, the latency issues for internationals make things even stinkier.

Then again, I'm much more "hard core" about this sort of thing than everyone else.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2002, 12:09:56 PM
:x dial up sucks..I've never tried online gaming...

Levi Argon
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:16:59 PM
I've never experienced much trouble with international servers. I have a cable modem - soon to be upgraded to 1Mbit/sec! :D - but overall I think this idea can only be a positive thing, after all it's not like anything bad will come of it and I agree, would vastly improve a comraderie and friendlier atmosphere at SWFans.

But a dedicated server would be a great advantage. How much would it cost to purchase and run such a server? Perhaps if this idea did prove popular and was successful we could then upgrade and maybe all chip in on it a little. Just a thought.

ReaperFett
Oct 16th, 2002, 04:49:54 PM
I used to play Jedi Knight and COunterstrike against peeps from the US all the time :)

Morgan Evanar
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:06:18 PM
Well, like I said, I'm much more hardcore about it. Dedicated servers run anywhere from $20-100 a month in the US, depending on the number of players and the game.

And Gav, its not that bandwidth is the problem (although it can be) its latency. Anything above 100ms is bad, anthing above 150 is almost unbearable. T1s provide fabulous latency, virtually none from the final destination to the ISP.

Futhermore, its not download, its upload. Unless your connection is symetrical, you'll always be able to pull much more downstream than you can send upstream. Theoretically I could host 4-6 people on my DSL, but that would really give me one heck of an advantage because I'd have 0 latency. Running a server = cpu intensive. You need a strong system to back it, and IMO mine's lacking the memory to both run a server and play.

Figrin D'an
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:24:30 PM
We just need to have a big SWFans.net LAN party... ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:46:25 AM
WE JUST NEED TEH BOARDS TO NOT BE DEAD!!!

The down time today was ridiculous!!! like..two hours! :x

Is there anything I can do to help!??!

TheHolo.Net
Oct 17th, 2002, 01:31:44 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
WE JUST NEED TEH BOARDS TO NOT BE DEAD!!!

The down time today was ridiculous!!! like..two hours! :x

Is there anything I can do to help!??! Only if you worked for the company that hosts the site. Anytime I am the one to take it down, it is not for that kind of duration.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:51:11 AM
okies. I don't work for them. They suck! ;)

Anyway, glad to see everything survived the downtime. :D

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:06:58 AM
Pfft, you Americans miss all the downtime fun. They seem to do most when youre all tucked up in bed :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:07:44 AM
Well, instead of running a dedicated server, one could agree upon an IP/servername whenever there was a game.

Levi Argon
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:26:13 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Well, instead of running a dedicated server, one could agree upon an IP/servername whenever there was a game.

Agreed. I think that would be fairly straight forward to organize. Some of us have done it before. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:15:32 AM
First we do thread hijacks, then it becomes server hijacks ;)

imported_Eve
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:28:59 AM
I didn't mean for it to become the responsibility of swforums, as a burden.

I have played people online before with my measly dial up. If people can't play because of their connection, then they're no worse off. People do it now, anyway.

What all Star Wars PC games are available anyway?

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:53:34 AM
Well, the MAIN ones would be:

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
X-Wing Alliance
Galactic Battlegrounds

Any more?

imported_Eve
Oct 18th, 2002, 03:40:23 PM
Thanks Fettish. These are the only ones capable for play online?

I wouldn't know, but I think there is more.