PDA

View Full Version : Wishes to spek to the Council

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 15th, 2002, 04:14:21 PM
It was rare that the Jedi Master came into the halls of the Temple - and even more rare that he would come before the Council. Usually in times of trouble when his voice in knowledge were sorely needed. But today, he was here when there was none - because this was something quite different and to him pleasing.

He was here to put before the Council an interesting idea.

Liam Jinn
Oct 15th, 2002, 04:30:10 PM
Liam stood in the council chamber, looking out a window. After awhile he turned and started walking to his seat, only to catch a glimpse of a familiar cloaked figure. The sight was not expected, though that's usually when Marcus would appear.

"Master Q'Dunn, is there something on your mind?"

Xazor Elessar
Oct 15th, 2002, 06:46:32 PM
Xazor looked up from her seat and set her eyes upon Marcus...not a surprise to her, for she knew he was coming....their Life Bond told her so. Smiling, she bowed her head and then fixed her eyes upon his gentle ones.

"Greetings Master....yes, please tell us what is upon your mind that you should appear before us this day."

She said softly, letting her mind drift into his to find out his reasoning before the others knew...

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:56:27 PM
Wait, m'lady. I wish for you to know when others do

His soft and strangely accented voice rang out, quiet, yet powerful.

"Council, much I observe all that goes on and much I think of the Order, even if I am not here. This Order I anm a founding member of and when I speak, others listen. Then, listen to me as I tell you of a problem and a solution I wish to impliment.

We train our student in many basic things - fighting, telekinesis. But much we do not teach them but instead allow them to to find out for their own, or promote before they are ready to know. I set high standards and I would not present to you one whom is not ready to be promoted. Nor would I present one whom you need to find out if they are worthy, for it will be self evident! That is my way however.... how others wish to conduct themselves, that is not for me to judge. I only do what I feel is right.

Where I believe we have failed at times is to not teach others how to pass on our knowledge. It appears to me that when one is promoted, they are then presumed to be able to train and in some ways they think their training has finished. THIS IS NOT SO, as Council member Dawnstrider well knows! How much more have you learned of myself and your mother since you have been knighted? Do you agree that Knights being cast adrift after promotion could well be wrong?

With this in mind, I wish to bring forth the name of Sejah Haversh. He is a student the likes I could only dream of, he is attentive and learns. His skills develop and if it were any other Master or Knight, I would think he may well have been bought forth for promotion. I will not do so now. However, I believe he is ready to move on and learn the lessons that can only be learned in a different setting to a direct Master to Padawan relationship. I wish for him to now be allowed to act independantly as if he were a Knight, to be allowed to train others in the skills of swordplay which he excels at, to be independant so as I may observe how he responds and acts. If he satisfies me on this, then I would bring him forth for promotion.

To sum up quickly - I wish to see how he would act if he were a Jedi Knight. This I also say - I compliment Haversh on his conduct so far as a Jedi Padawan. I could not wish for a better student and I consider myself pleased that he and my other active student, Kelt Simoson have shown to be excellent. If it were not for the fact I have been tardy on training Kelt, I may well be asking for the same for him. He too impresses me and now I shall no longer be tardy in his training"

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:42:51 PM
Your concerns are noted, Master Q'Dunn, and you have explained yourself well. However, a similar matter has arisen before, and in light of such precedent, I must disagree to this request...and stand by a previous decision that has already been decided by this Council with the Padawan Ansatsu. There is to be no special consideration in the duties of a Padawan Learner. If you feel he is ready for such a task, you may submit him for Knighthood. A Jedi must never cease to learn, but a Padawan must be resolute to this task.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 15th, 2002, 10:16:33 PM
"I have not asked for Padawan Haversh to be given a special task - this is to extend his training and to ready him for Knighthood. While I would have agreed with Ansatsu, this is not the same situation. Ansatsu is not ready to train others - Haversh is. And I would put him forth for promotion, but I will not let a Padawan of mine be promoted without full and proper training! This is experience we need to give our Padawans when they are ready and is it not best to do so while they are properly supervised?

I have had Padawans long before promoted when they were not ready and I will not risk that again. While I have trained Haversh in ways that go beyond normal training, filling out his knowledge, he needs to learn how to be responsible for himself and to others. He needs to learn how to be a teacher. It is best to do so while supervised. Ansatsu wanted to reach beyond his position. Haversh, this is to be a lesson - a lesson in how to teach others. Should not this step be taken while he is my Padawan? And I will add one more - Haversh is not to be left to his own devices. He is still my Padawan and under my care.

Why is it that we would allow others to teach unsupervised as soon as they are Knighted, unexperienced? Is this not a great danger? I seek to minimise or remove this danger entirely"

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 15th, 2002, 11:04:17 PM
"Knight Hicchoru, I must agree with Master Q'Dunn on this one. I have had the opportunity to spar with Padawan Haversh, and he is truly a gifted swordsman. We all agree that a well-prepared Jedi is crutial to keeping the high standards we have here for all of our Padawans. All of us, at any level, are still gifted with talents and abilities... some to teach, some to lead, some to heal. Sejah has this gift... and I believe that it would be wasteful for us not to allow him to share it."

My voice was strangely quiet, but rang out through the council room with a slight echo. I cradled my hands in my lap, unsure of what to say. "I propose that we treat these matters on a case-by-case basis. There can be no hard and fast rule in matters such as these."

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 16th, 2002, 02:22:35 PM
"I am not so certain, Ryla. Anbira brings up a good point with Ansatsu. We all agreed that Knights, and only Knights that are promoted to this rank can train. This would go against what we all agreed upon.

Being a Knight is not only simply training, it is a way of thinking and believing. A new way of life with much more responsibility. If you wish for him to be acting as a Knight, then that is all right. But training is out of the question.

Have Sejah make decisions on his own. Lead an expedition that he is qualified for. Put him in situations that challege his beliefs and what it means to be a Jedi, with you not at his side. This I would agree upon."

Xazor Elessar
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:58:03 PM
Xazor thought about Marcus's request and sighed. Though they did things differently than most in the Order, she knew that her devotion was to the rules. Sighing upon what was an extremely difficult situation, Xazor let her eyes drift over to Navaria.

"I agree with my fellow Council Members upon this issue. It would not be fair for Sejah to teach....even though he is quite skilled. Leading missions and helping with classes and other tasks of the such I have no objection to....but teaching is strictly for Knight's and Masters."

I'm sorry.....I see your point full well..... She said softly in his mind as her gentle eyes rested upon his. She hoped that he would not take it personally, but she had to make tough decisions...even if she did not fully agree with what she was saying....

AmazonBabe
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:11:45 PM
:: AB nodded her head in agreement with Anbira, Nav, and Xaz. She did not wish to repeat what had already been said, and instead gave her answer silently. ::

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 21st, 2002, 04:27:49 PM
Half a victory... but was that also half a defeat?

"And you seriously expect Knight to be able to train straight away when they are Knighted? Think before you put this in the same basket as other situations - how may I ask are we to teach those nearing Knighthood to teach if we do not show them how? My Padawan is skillful enough to be presented for Knighthood, yet you expect me to believe he can pass on what I have taught him immediatly? I have faith in him, but no one should be given this burden without some sort of experience.

I have stated that he would not be left unattended. I would observe and correct as necessary.

I would also state this... it has always been one of the failings of this Order that new Knights are basically left to their own deices after promotion. Thence you have the situation where inexperienced and unmonitiored Knights are training and while I am sure they do their best.... are they a match for ones whom are experienced and know how best to train Padawans?

Do not ignore this problem I have placed here. "

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 21st, 2002, 05:07:56 PM
"That is true, Master Q'Dunn, but all newly appointed Knights know that they have the teachings of their own Masters to draw upon or if they are in question of what to do, the Council and the entire Order is here to help them if they so choose. Which, has happened in recent weeks."

Xazor Elessar
Oct 21st, 2002, 05:17:41 PM
Xazor looked down at her hands for a moment...how much teaching her hands had done...how much teaching her heart had done. She had felt lost at the beginning, with her first Padawan. She did not know what to do...but he came out alright. Smiling, she looked up at Marcus with a new idea.

"Perhaps for each new Knight that takes on a Padawan, they should be assigned a mentor to watch over their training until they are comfortable. A mentor...someone who has experience in training...perhaps someone who has already brought another to Knighthood. I think that this would be a good idea and if they need help in ideas and the such in how to teach.....or if they are having problems and need answers to their questions, they have someone to go to and they will not feel like a Padawan themselves anymore...."

The idea was good, in her mind...she wished that she would have had someone to turn to when beginning to teach...but her Master...her Father, had told her to just remember things she had done with him. It was not much help and so she seemed to fail the first few lessons of her teaching 'carreer'. Hopefully the others would see this as a possible opportunity....