PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg Does ET right!

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:05:54 PM
http://member.compuserve.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1402&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20021015%2F104102036.htm&sc=1402

Spielberg is going to release ET in both the original and SE editions when the DVD's hit stores. It looks like BOTH versions are going to be on the $30 version. Gee, what OTHER film should get that treatment?:rolleyes

Taylor Millard
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:08:14 PM
Boy I'm glad to know there's someone else out there who thinks that the SW Trilogy ought to be released on DVD in both Original and Special Edition.

If ET sells well, Lucas might do it too.

Hopefully.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:11:32 PM
I'm sure we're going to see multiple editions of the SW films on DVD one day. I'm just hoping that at least ONE version has the films I grew up with. There's a difference, and to many fans, it matters a great deal.

Taylor Millard
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:21:38 PM
You know I honestly like both versions just fine. But I want them both on DVD...I like that idea.

Mu Satach
Oct 15th, 2002, 02:22:16 PM
I just want Empire without the whiney Luke scream. :p

JMK
Oct 15th, 2002, 02:30:18 PM
Or you could hit mute every time you watch it for a few seconds...wouldn't that be convenient? ;)

I would like that scream to be gone too. I honestly think that some of the changes in the SW:SE were done just to see if they could do it, and then they would come up with a thinly veiled excuse as to why they did it...

darth_mcbain
Oct 15th, 2002, 04:14:30 PM
I like both versions. I love the originals, as like we've all stated at one point or another, they are what we grew up with. Yeah there are a few parts that are rough around the edges compared with what you can do in today's technology, but that is part of their charm, and I get a great sense of nostalgia when I pop those in.

But the SE are great too, I think a lot of the changes they made were really good. For instance, I really like the addition of the Wampa in ESB, and I like the revamped take-off scene of the Millenium Falcon in Mos Eisley. Some of the things that were added were detrimental IMHO, though, such as the whole Han-Greedo thing, Luke's (actually Palpatine's) un-necessary scream in Bespin, and changing Luke's lines in the Dagobah swamp ("You were lucky to get out of there" - why did they have to mess with the classic "You're lucky you don't taste very good.") And some changes are just so-so, like the addition of Jabba.

When I watch the movies, I usually end up watching the SEs more than the originals, but I definitely do not want to see the originals fall by the wayside. They are classic films and they really should make it a point that both versions will be released. The originals are part of film history and can't just be ignored. I know GL says he only wants the finished product to be available, but come on - let the fans have all the versions.

I think it is good that they are doing ET like this - maybe it will spur Lucasfilm to do the same.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:16:51 PM
I really like what Spielberg said on the matter. That he didn't want to take the original version away from fans. It's not that I hate the SE's, it's just that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, want the versions that I saw as a little kid. I can close my eyes and see Ties flying through space enclosed in little black boxes. It brings a smile to my face. Most people who want the originals aren't asking for the SE's to be burned, we just want to see the images and lines we grew up with. I'm hopeful that there are enough fans out there that feel the same way that Lucas will be inclined to give them what they want. Not forced mind you, just inclined. This is the kind of thing that a super deluxe boxed set is made for, I can't see why you WOULDN'T put them in there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:48:06 PM
*gasp* I never noticed that line was changed! I LOVE the "You're lucky you don't taste very good" line!!! *faints*

Thats what I get for not owning a single one of the movies. :cry

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:10:13 AM
*watches his ESB Made in Malaysia DVD*

Lucky to get out of there?! Cheeses crackers! Con sarnit, I never noticed that before. I always assumed the line was the same as in the original. That was a good line!

*burns LD's bra in protest* :angel

jjwr
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:57:14 AM
It would be nice if they just released both in a single 2 DVD set, that would allow room for extra's on both discs.

Course that would make them less money so you know that's not gonna happen.

sirdizzy
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:08:37 PM
i hated that they cut ther ewok song at the end of jedi

when i was a kid i could sing that song word for word

i still hate em for cutting it

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:21:20 PM
Yub yub. It may have been annoying to some, but it was more memorable than what replaced it IMO. But damn, how come Lando couldn't find the beat?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:31:32 PM
^_^; my bra!

Lando is the coolest, he didn't have to find the beat. He was cool anyway. ;)

I liked the celebrating on different planets in the SE. But, maybe thats just me. :)

Sene Unty
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:35:34 PM
I liked that too LD...it was cool!

darth_mcbain
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:55:37 PM
I like the new Ewok celebration about the same as the original one, but the original was a classic. And yeah, Lando was pretty far off on that one... :lol YUB YUB...

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:17:10 PM
You could tell that they probably had some kind of music on the set that didn't match the eventual music that was laid over the film. Billy Dee probably was the ONLY one who was following the beat right. Or maybe he was just jacked up on some Colt 45!

sirdizzy
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:03:27 PM
be quite you blasphemous people

the ewok song is star wars don't make me come over there and sing it to you

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:19:36 PM
The ewok song rocked. It was like...uber sesame street.

sirdizzy
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:29:45 PM
i was also into sesame street when jedi came out too