PDA

View Full Version : Peace of Mind: Lillian's Training

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:19:35 PM
A message had been sent to Lillian Snow yesterday regarding her training. It read:

Dear Lillian Snow,
Salemn Lysce has accepted you as her Padawan. Please meet her in the training grounds at eleven o'clock the next day. Be prompt.

And so, Salemn stood in the Academy waiting for Lillian to arrive. Today she was wearing blue Jedi robes instead of brown, and at her waist her lightsabre was clipped. Her hood wasn't drawn up and her blond hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she knew it wouldn't be long until her new Padawan's training would begin.

Lillian Snow
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:24:04 PM
Lillian looked into the room, not sure if she was in the right place.

"M-master Salemn?"

She stepped through the door and spotted her master.

"Oh good...I've found you..."

She coughed violently, wiping her hands of the blood. Behind her, Reason lurked.

Reason
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:26:51 PM
Reason lurked behind Lillian, sizing up Salemn. A weapon hung at the other girl's hip; he wouldn't allow that. Reason bristled, its wrist blades springing to life and its tail doubling in length.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:42:55 PM
< Welcome, Lillian. A pleasure to see you're on time. >

Nodding her head in a sign of greeting, her brown eyes glanced over to the huge robot that stood behind Lillian. Immediately she frowned and began to walk towards Lillian, drawing out a handkerchief for the Padawan to wipe the blood with.

< Lillian, can you please ask your 'companion' to step outside ? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:48:12 PM
Lillian accepted the handkerchief with a smile, and turned to Reason.

"Reason, stand down."

Reason
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:53:25 PM
Reason hesitated, casting one last look at Salemn, then withdrew its weaponry and stationed itself outside the door, sensors scanning the room from outside. If anything out of the ordinary happened, it would be upon them in a flash of laserblades and blasterbolts.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:08:02 AM
Watching as 'Reason' retreated back outside, she turned her attention back to Lillian. After she had cleaned herself up, Salemn walked back to the middle of the room. There were mats on the floor, and she took a seat, indicating that Lillian should do the same.

< Before we begin, I'd like to get to know you better. Please, tell me about yourself. >

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:11:21 AM
"My family are experts in many forms of technology. They sell computers, parts of computers, and some forms of droid and starship equipment..."

She began as she sat opposite Salemn.

"They have sheltered me for much of my life, due to my...condition..."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:18:17 AM
< Yes, your condition - it intrigues me. I have yet to do some research on it, but while we're on it, please tell me about it. >

She clasped her hands in her lap and leaned forward, listening intently.

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:23:34 AM
"Well...I'm not sure what causes it...It makes me very physically weak...sometimes I collapse for no apparent reason, or have difficulty walking or doing other things that many can do with ease. Also, there is the matter of coughing up blood...Medical professionals believe it is a fault with my blood..."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:29:00 AM
< Ah, I see ... Well, I hope that won't cause a hinderence in your training. Although we'll be working more on developing your Force powers at first, you'll still have to keep your body fit. Is that clear ? >

Although she was normally a "shy" person, tending to keep to herself, she would work hard with Lillian, demanding only the best. She was a perfectionist and would make sure that Lillian would not be below the expectations.

< Are there any questions you have for me ? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:33:02 AM
"I understand...I used to walk and run in my neighborhood back home..."

She considered asking Salemn something,but could come up with nothing.

"Um...what do I learn first?"

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:47:10 AM
< That's what we're going to find out. How much do you know of the Force ? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:54:27 AM
"I know what everyone knows; that all beings possess it, that it binds the universe together. I have never used it before, but some say they have seen it in me. Many attribute my life to the Force, and claim that I would not be alive without its prescence in me."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:08:50 AM
< All beings have midichlorian, but only those that have a high midichlorian count are able to use the Force. This is a gift that we are blessed with and should be thankful for, never taking it for granted.

The Force is not living, but in a sense - Is. It's Presence is always around us, and only a Ysalimir can prevent one from using the Force. >

Rising from the mat, Salemn looked over at the walls, where several practice sabers for Padawans were hanging. She reached out with her hand and one lifted off of the wall, floating towards her. She caught with ease and looked back towards Lillian.

< And your knowledge of lightsabres ? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:11:04 AM
"None, other than they are weightless swords of plasma or lasers."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:30:15 AM
Her thumb pressed the switch and instantly the room was filled with a light hum, the purple beam coming forth.

< It is a Jedi's weapon, and as some like to say, a friend. >

Sweeping it infront of her, she then turned it off and looked at Lillian.

< What type of Jedi do you see yourself becoming ? A mentalist, a healer, a scholar, a warrior ..? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:16:52 PM
"Not a warrior...perhaps a healer, or mentalist...or perhaps a Consular, similar to Master Figrin..."

Reason
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:18:21 PM
Outside, Reason detected the heat of the blade, identified the weapon. It bristled, ready at a moment's notice...

Salemn Lysce
Oct 16th, 2002, 06:51:53 PM
< Well, with that cleared, you will learn the basics. >

Still holding onto the practice sabre, she went over to the corner where the equipment was stored. Picking up what looked like a large pole, she walked back over to Lillian.

< It's time we go outside. Follow me. >

Going to the doors, she opened them, only to see 'Reason'. A frown etched on her face before looking back towards her Padawan, then continued onward. After walking outside the Academy, she led Lillian to the Order's gardens. Huge trees of many kinds were everywhere, along with flowers, ferns, and a small waterfountain.

Placing the pole on the ground, Salemn motioned for Lillian to stand with her underneath a willow tree.

< Place your hand on the bark .. Tell me what you feel. >

Lillian Snow
Oct 16th, 2002, 06:59:44 PM
Lillian followed Salemn out to the gardens. As her master walked over to a willow tree, she turned the giant sentinel that had followed them

"Reason, stay over here. I promise she won't hurt me."

Reason seemed to glare, but didn't move. Lillian hoped it would do as she said and moved to join Salemn.

< Place your hand on the bark .. Tell me what you feel. >

Lillian put out one hand to touch the old tree. She guessed that she was supposed to use the Force, but wasn't sure how to even begin.

"Wh...what do I do?"

Salemn Lysce
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:20:35 PM
< Lose the chains that bind you down to practical thoughts and let your senses go - feel the Life and energy that runs through the tree; Its pain, its losses, its happiness ... Become one with it. >

Salemn watched her Padawan, hoping she would grasp her words' meanings.

Lillian Snow
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:27:21 PM
Lillian looked back to the tree, doubtful of her own ability. But she would try. Lillian touched the tree, feeling a hint of doubt in her heart. To her surprise, she felt a soft glow from the tree, and a flash of something...though what she wasn't sure. Lillian drew back from the tree and put a hand to her forehead, then turned and coughed, covering her face. To her relief, there was no blood.

"Master Salemn...I..."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:32:09 PM
Shaking her head, she reached out and grasped Lillian's hand, then reached out with the other and placed it on the tree. Closing her eyes, she began to concentrate, seeming to let go of her body and becoming one with the tree. Salemn was transmitting all of what she was experiencing to her Padawan - and suddenly Lillian felt herself lost in a world of feelings; She felt warm, and as if a wave of tranquility washed over her entire being. She didn't 'do', she was. Then, it all went away as soon as Salemn withdrew her hand from the tree and looked back at Lillian.

< If you trust me, you will try again and succeed. What you just experienced was a taste ... >

Lillian Snow
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:01:33 PM
Lillian placed both hands on the tree, and directed her focus to it. She felt the beginnings of what had occured with Salemn, and felt the quiet happiness of the tree. It stood confident, tall, unafraid. Lillian smiled slightly to herself at the tree's emotion.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:22:41 PM
Crossing her arms, she observed Lillian's face, watching the smile sketch across it. She could sense through the Force that she was feeling the tree's peace and silently praised her Padawan's efforts.

< Excellent, Lillian! >

Smiling slightly, Salemn leaned against the willow tree, feeling its calm wave of happiness.

< Now, I want you to clear your mind of any thought. You'll hear your subconscience whispering, but try your best to silence it. This is called meditating, and you'll open your senses to the Force and hear what It has to say to you. >

Lillian Snow
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:26:50 PM
"Think of nothing? I..." she started to protest, but stopped. "I will try..."

And Lillian shut her eyes, still touching the tree, and tried to clear her mind of thought. But the more she tried not to think of anything, the more she found herself wondering if it was possible, and finding it difficult to keep her mind quiet.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:28:41 PM
< Don't try - do. >

The advice probably sounded a bit odd, but it made sense. The more Lillian would try the harder it would become, but if she took a deep breath and stopped 'trying', her mind could be cleared and she would hear the distinct whispering of the Force ..

Lillian Snow
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:39:15 PM
Don't try? But if she didn't try, she couldn't do it! Lillian stopped and sighed.

"I...I don't understand..."

She sat down under the tree in the shade and looked up at Salemn.

"How can I do it if I don't try to do it?"

Salemn Lysce
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:29:11 AM
< Because when you try, you think. >

Looking down at Lillian, she tried to explain it more clearly.

< When you try, it's like telling your mind what to do, therefore you're thinking and can't clear it. If you don't try and just do, your mind will clear. >

It was hard to explain, and Salemn could only hope that the girl understood.

Lillian Snow
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:39:41 AM
Lillian didn't understand. She hugged her legs and put her face down and sighed. Don't try? Lillian sighed, ready to give up. As she sat calming her frustration she stopped worrying with it, and allowed her mind to settle.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:11:27 PM
It was then Lillian could hear distant murmurs in her mind. Was it her subconscience? Possibly .. but then the thoughts were too faded to be heard. It was almost like the faint whispering of a breeze that wasn't there, or the chattering of people in an empty house. Whatever it was, the Padawan could feel as if she were weightless; Tranquil, carefree, wise ..

Lillian Snow
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:26:38 PM
Lillian allowed the sounds to continue, falling into them, relaxing. She felt weightless, and for once, without the illness that plagued her.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 19th, 2002, 01:22:56 PM
Remaining silent, Salemn merely observed her. Since it was her first time meditating, Lillian would snap out of it sooner than most, but for now the Jedi Knight would leave her be.

Lillian Snow
Oct 19th, 2002, 01:57:15 PM
Lillian stirred and looked to Salemn.

"What was that?" she asked.

She felt suddenly revitalized, though still a bit out of it. She stretched and waited for Salemn's explanation.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 19th, 2002, 02:49:54 PM
< You just had a taste of meditation, experiencing the Force. >

Nodding her head slightly as if to confirm her words, Salemn bent down and searched the ground with her fingers. Finding a rock, she held it and stood up.

< Now, I want you to relax and reach out with the Force, trying to stop this rock from falling. >

And then, she dropped it.

Lillian Snow
Oct 19th, 2002, 03:03:18 PM
Lillian panicked slightly, unprepared to try and focus enough to catch the rock. It hit the ground with a dull thud, soft dirt spraying up onto Lillian's shoes.

"Please, let me try again!"

Even as she spoke she was preparing for the next drop.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:37:28 AM
< Of course, everyone deserves a second chance. >

Grinning, the rock floated back up in the air before dropping again.

Lillian Snow
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:41:49 AM
The rock wobbled and slowed, but hit the ground all the same.

"M-master Salemn, I..."

Lillian paused and coughed, catching the blood on her handkerchief.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:34:20 PM
< Good, Lillian. Did you see how you managed to slow the rock's momentum down ? That was what I wanted to see, and you performed excellently. >

Smiling, she waited until Lillian was done coughing before continuing.

< Now since the rock is on the ground, care to try and levitate it ? >

Lillian Snow
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:43:57 PM
"Levitate...?"

She sighed, drawing her knees to her chest and resting her chin on her arms. She looked at the stone and sighed. Lift the stone...Lillian smiled to herself, a little confidence growing in her heart. If she could sense a tree's emotions, and meditate, and slow the falling rock, then maybe, just maybe she could levitate one...the stone before her began to vibrate violently as the Force started to act upon it....

Salemn Lysce
Oct 20th, 2002, 01:57:29 PM
< Just concentrate, Lillian. Open yourself to the Force and all the possibilities It offers. >

She watched as the rock began to shake, waiting for the moment when her Padawan would be able to lift it with the Force.

Lillian Snow
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:00:00 PM
Lillian shut her eyes, enjoying the feeling that her limited Force control brought her. It made her feel warm, safe...She opened her eyes to see the stone floating at eye-height. She gasped in surprise and it fell once more.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 26th, 2002, 01:33:05 PM
She grinned, watching as the rock slowly floated up into the air - trembling a bit - then as it fell back to the ground as Lillian broke her concentration. No doubt the Apprentice would try again ...

Lillian Snow
Oct 27th, 2002, 06:50:22 PM
She relaxed, settling her eyes on the stone. She felt the Force's protective warmth and watched the rock rise from the floor to hold a steady position where it had been before.

"It...it won't go any higher..." Lillian said after a few moments.

Salemn Lysce
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:40:26 PM
< You've done well for now, Lillian. I must say that I'm proud for you being able to tap into the Force so quickly. You have already opened yourself to the senses of another living thing, grasped the concept of the Force and levitated a rock. Now, we will move onto weapons. >

She had placed the pole and the practice lightsaber besides the willow tree earlier and now retrieved them, holding them out for Lillian to see.

< Please, pick one. >

It was obvious that Lillian's first lesson would be a mix - the others following would concentrate on just one thing. For now, though, it would give the new Padawan an idea of all the things that she would be learning, practicing and applying as her life as a Jedi.

Lillian Snow
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:59:12 PM
Lillian was unsure which to take, which would suit her best. The lightsaber seemed to be an offensive weapon, the pole suited more to defense. Considering the frequency with which Reason attacked things, she didn't need to do much of it. She took the pole.

Salemn Lysce
Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:34:53 PM
< Nice choice, Lillian. >

She remembered in her first training lesson with Nash how he used a pole ... Ah, but that was in the past.

< Now, a Jedi must always be on guard. Danger creeps around every corner, and you never know when someone could strike. >

Snap-hiss. The saber was activated and the purple blade hummed lightly. Slowly yet surely, Salemn began to circle Lillian.

< For one never knows ... >

She struck out with the weapon.

Reason
Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:42:14 PM
Salemn's blow fell short, her arms held firmly by Reason.

No harm will come to Lillian Snow.

Lillian Snow
Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:44:12 PM
Lillian faltered, unable to block. It seemed Reason had done that for her.

"Reason, stand down! She's not going to hurt me!"

Salemn Lysce
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:29:38 AM
The droid, despite its immense size and power, found its metal arms slowly releasing her as an unseen force pushed them away.

< Lillian .. It would be greatly appreciated if you could get this thing out of here. It's disrupting your training ! >

Salemn turned around and glared at Reason with her brown eyes, sighing.

Lillian Snow
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:36:54 AM
"Reason, stand down! Master Salemn is teaching me to defend myself."

The droid didn't budge.

"Maybe if we did it in a way that didn't look like you were attacking me?"

Salemn Lysce
Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:28:02 PM
< Ah, but the lesson is to reach out with the Force and know your enemy's motives ... and how to properly defend yourself. >

Her brow furrowed as she became deep in thought. The droid was apparantly made to protect Lillian at all costs, and to it she seemed to pose as a threat. What if ...

< Lillian, I want you to attack me. >

Lillian Snow
Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:32:47 PM
"A-attack you?" she squeaked. "B-but Master Salemn...I..."

Salemn Lysce
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:24:37 PM
< But what ? >

She questioned, brown eyes fixated on Lillian.

Lillian Snow
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:22:07 PM
"But I...I..."

She swallowed hard, eyes pleading with her master, begging her not to make Lillian try to hurt her. But Salemn's face was stern, and Lillian swallowed again. She shut her eyes and swung the pole with an amazing speed toward her master's head.

Salemn Lysce
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:50:09 AM
Even though she had still held onto the practice lightsaber after Reason grabbed her, she deactivated it and ducked, the pole flying over her head with a swoosh.

< Already you made a mistake, Lillian. Keep your eyes on the enemy at all times. >

Indeed, the girl was strong to be able to hold such an immense pole without faltering, but it wouldn't be brute strength alone that would help you win a fight.

< Try again. >

Lillian Snow
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:14:57 AM
Lillian faltered. She didn't want to hurt anyone...why should she learn to attacK? She swung again, watching Salemn.

Salemn Lysce
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:35:00 PM
This time Lillian swung with less enthusiasm, but still she was managing to hold onto the pole.

< Excellent - now, block ! >

Salemn gave an easy swing with the lightsaber towards her padawan's right.

Lillian Snow
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:51:52 PM
Lillian cried out and swung the pole, an inelegant move, but it did what it was supposed to.

"I..I did it!"

Salemn Lysce
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:56:43 PM
< Good, now keep it up. >

Lillian's reflexes were fast, but now she would have to think.

< Pretend I'm a Darksider, Lillian. Believe that I'm Sasha. Then attack. >

Yes, now it was time to see what exactly her Padawan would do. And what emotions she would draw up, also. It was then she brought her leg up and shoved her foot in Lillian's stomach.

Lillian Snow
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:01:59 AM
Lillian flinched at the name. Sasha. The bane of her every nightmare since the night when he'd attacked her. Lillian swallowed hard and looked pleadingly to Reason. It wasn't moving. She looked back at Salemn, could see in her stead the Sith Knight smirking at her.

"Just a pretty face. Nothing more."

She steeled herself and struck at Salemn.

"He's wrong!"

Salemn Lysce
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:06:38 PM
Lillian's eyes became a shade darker, and Salemn knew that she was seeing Sasha. When her padawan swung the pole towards her, she parried the blow with her lightsaber, watching as the metal slowly began to burn away. If her lightsaber cut through the pole, Lillian would have no more weapon to defend herself.

And then ... what would she do ?

Lillian Snow
Nov 24th, 2002, 07:24:57 PM
Lillian pulled her staff back. If it broke, she would be defenseless. This was a new problem, what should she do? She didn't know anything at all about fighting...

Salemn Lysce
Nov 26th, 2002, 09:35:02 AM
The metal scraped against the lightsaber as the pole was pulled away, producing a shower of metallic colored sparks.

< Stupid. That's what you are. Just a pretty face, nothing more. >

Anger. She was trying to provoke Lillian's anger and hate, to see how far she had to push until the Padawan broke. To Lillian, Sasha's face stared sternly at her, despite the little smirk.

Lillian Snow
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:50:44 AM
Lillian shut her eyes against the taunting, a few tears escaping from them. She doesn't want to cry, doesn't want to be weak. But she's being selfish, and that's not how Jedi should be. Jedi shouldn't get angry either, but her face is burning, and her hands are hot too.

"Just...just stop it!"

Lillian swings the staff like a hammer.

"STOP!"

Salemn Lysce
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:57:41 PM
Salemn allowed the pole to hit her in the side, causing her to fly a couple feet back and landing in a slump.

< Help .. me ... >

Called out Sasha to Lillian, raising his hand out with his fingers outstretched before closing them into a fist, letting his hand drop to the ground.

< Heal me ... >

Lillian Snow
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:45:26 AM
Lillian squeaks and drops the pole in shock.

"I hit him!"

She was torn, she didn't know if she should run while Sasha was down or stand her ground. Then again, she could heed his pleas and heal him.

"I...I don't know how..."

Salemn Lysce
Dec 4th, 2002, 09:32:37 AM
< Just try ! >

Sasha groaned a bit, clutching his stomach as he grimaced in pain. His face was beginning to go pale as perspiration began to form at his forehead.

< Do what comes naturally. >

Lillian Snow
Dec 4th, 2002, 09:34:29 PM
Lillian approaches warily, afraid he'll attack her. She kneels down and places one hand over the injury.

"If only I knew what to do..."

She shut her eyes tight, trying to push out the feeling of shame that nagged at her in her heart.

"If only I knew how to use the Force to heal..."

Salemn Lysce
Dec 11th, 2002, 09:53:29 PM
< Like .. this .... >

Sasha reached up, placing his hand on Lillian's and closed his violet eyes.

< Call on the Force, Lillian. Draw it and just ... make it heal. I-I can't explain it, I can't heal ... >

Lillian Snow
Dec 11th, 2002, 10:37:34 PM
Lillian, too overcome with panic to think that he may be attempting to trick her, shuts her eyes and focuses.

"Heal him!" she pleads in her thoughts, and she can feel warmth in her palms. The Force gathers slowly, its not doing anything yet.

Salemn Lysce
Dec 12th, 2002, 04:17:47 PM
< Hurry. >

He urged her own, his violet eyes starting to turn brown as Salemn concentrated to keep the illusion up. They weren't her speciality and drained her, physically and mentally. Meanwhile, she was watching as Lillian began to concentrate and started to call upon the Force.

Lillian Snow
Dec 12th, 2002, 05:07:31 PM
Lillian shut her eyes and looked away, focusing as hard as she could to heal her enemy.

"Please..." she whispers.

The injury begins to slowly mend.

Salemn Lysce
Dec 12th, 2002, 08:18:49 PM
As the tissue fibers began to mend, Sasha grinned and let out a sigh. Lillian was discovering one of the many uses of the Force on her own, proving that she was quite adept with the Force.

Lillian Snow
Dec 12th, 2002, 09:43:54 PM
Lillian was nearly in tears by now, half-terrified, half-amazed. She'd hit him, actually hurt him. She'd never struck someone before in her life. The fact that she had knocked him over with one swing was more than she could stand. But also she was amazed at it, that she wasn't so defenseless. Also, she was learning to heal. This very technique may in the end be her salvation. She coughs nervously, a bit of blood dribbling down her chin, but she ignores it, and continues.

Salemn Lysce
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:28:23 PM
After Lillian had healed the "wound", Sasha slowly began to fade away from her view, replaced by Salemn.

< Congratulations, Lillian. You're done with your training for today, now you can go to your room and rest. >

She remembered her first time learning how to heal, and it completely drained her. Surely it must've been the same for Lillian, maybe worse.

Rising to her feet, Salemn smiled and put her hands on her hips.

< Well done, Padawan. >