PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the opportunity

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 02:44:23 PM
Jackson entered Master Yoghurt's Bar & Grill, which was a short distance from the main Jedi temple, in Coco district. He had no job, no place to live, and very little money. Altogether it was a bad mix to arrive on Coruscant with none of the above, but the moisture farmboy from Mos Espa was undaunted. Instead, his eyes seemed to sparkle at the denizens of the establishment, a good deal of whom were Jedi. Again, his unhiding smile crept to his face. It was the perfect opportunity. If he had to get a job...where better than here, where he was around Jedi at all times. He only hoped they were hiring. He hadn't seen an ad in the window, nor did he have a resume to speak of. Aside from a meager bag at his side, he owned the clothes on his back and nothing else. His diminuitive frame wedged between patrons as he approached the bar. Looking around, he couldn't find the barkeep.

"Excuse me? I'm here about a job."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 06:33:41 PM
Kaytor spoted the boy as soon as he had walked in. She shook her head and mutter under her breath about another jedi. She rose to her feet and steped over to the boy. She leaned up against the bar with her back and placed her elbows on the bar.

"Another jedi from the order, I asume?"

She looked at him to make sure that he had heard her.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:30:50 PM
He smiled at her comment, turning to face her.

"Me? Oh...not yet. But I will be soon."

Jackson extended a hand to Kaytor.

"I'm Jackson DeWitt, nice to meet you."

He smiled sheepishly, extending a friendly hand.

"I'd offer you a drink, but...I'm on a water budget right now. Trying to take care of that, and looking for some work around here. Figured as long as I'm gonna be a Jedi anyways, I might as well look into any openings at the Jedi bar."

He laughed a bit.

"Maybe pick up on some conversations, and get a leg up on future training."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 08:44:08 PM
She just glances at his hand.

"I am not one to talk about jedi doings. Kaytor Surna, Vampyre of the Shrine, former jedi of the GJO."

Kaytor places a couple credits on the counter for his drink.

"I have no need for normal drinks."

She crosses her arms and waits for a reaction from him.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:18:30 PM
His eyes widened a bit. A Vampyre? He'd thought that was fairy tale stuff, though he'd heard of a creature named Dannik Jerriko that used to live on Tattooine. They said he was some kind of vampyre too, maybe some fairy tales had more than a nugget of truth to them.

"Well...thats not one I'm used to hearing every day, miss."

He smiled, color rising to his face a bit as he looked down at the chits she had placed on the counter. He'd appreciated the courtesy, but the way he was raised didn't really entitle him to accept it. His family was poor, and didn't have much, aside from their dignity. A man could live a day on an empty stomach. He couldn't go on living if he wasn't a man.

"Its awfully appreciated, Kaytor. I'm just fine with my water though, thanks."

He laughed.

"Besides, I don't wanna get off on the wrong foot, if there's someone here to talk about a job...or an open spot in the Order."

Jackson seemed to brighten a bit.

"I'm no country bumpkin prude or anything, but I guess I gotta keep my head on my shoulders."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:29:50 PM
"Around here, keeping your head on your shoulders is harder to do."

She smirked slightly. The credits levitated into the air and back into a pouch at her side. She glanced around the room quickly.

"Course I have to be a bit more careful then others. Most of the jedi at your order have some problems with me."

She was suprised that even this younger jedi hadn't yet noted the darker aura around her.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:35:14 PM
Jackson's eyes were transfixed on the floating credits, as they moved back to Kaytor's pouch. It took a few seconds before he returned his eyes to look at her.

"Well...I can worry about keeping my head later on down the line. I'm still working on my admission, and after that will be plenty of training, I'm sure. I don't really know how I'll manage the padawan braid on such short notice..."

He laughed a bit.

"...but thats just another thing to think about, further down the line. I'm living each day as it comes now. I'm on top of the world!"

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:41:59 PM
Kaytor laughed a bit.

"That is an interesting look on life. Are you always this positive about things?"

She found it quite interesting how this jedi had a look at things. Everyone had their own way of looking at life, though. She turned her attention back to the other jedi in the room.

"Might I ask why you chose the jedi? What is so special about them?"

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:54:43 PM
"I've known all my life I was gonna be a Jedi. Its my destiny."

His grin turned a bit softer, and his expression took on a wistful appearance.

"I've always known. Even raised on a moisture farm, and with all the harvest work, its all I can think about. Nobody pays it much mind, though. They tell me that if I spent half the time I spent daydreaming out on the crops, that I'd be the hardest worker out there."

He paused,

"...not that I'm not a hard worker, but I just get to thinkin sometimes, and I think it makes people uncomfortable. Dad tells me that I shouldn't get my hopes up...that people like us aren't meant to do nothin but work vaporators. His daddy did it, and his before him. I guess its all they've ever known, and everybody's comfortable. But I look up at the sky each night....Tattooine's got a nice, clear sky, and just count the stars. I count until I fall asleep. One day, I'll count them all, and I'll be seeing them up close, too!"

His smile was slowly building on itself again.

"And then, I'll come home, and tell Mom. Tell Dad. I'll tell Kyle, and Nant, and Vokker when I go to Tosche station. You see, they think I'm dreamin a fool's dream...and I know I can do this. I want them to smile and be proud, and know that I can do some good for people, and can do it away from the homestead."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:10:27 PM
Kaytor shook her head. She remembered when she had a dream like that. Then it faded in an instant

"I wouldn't get my hopes up to high on the jedi. I had a dream like you once. But it ended several months ago. Some people are just not jedi material I guess. I doubt few are."

She shruged her shoulders.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:21:57 PM
Jackson smiled in a funny way.

"You know, I've been hearing that alot. I'm starting to think that the more I hear it, the more I am sure I'll prove it wrong. Yoda told Luke Skywalker he was too old to complete the training. I've had people tell me things all my life...that I'm a runt nobody. Five feet nothing. A hundred and nothing. When it came to brains, I got the short end of the stick, and that I'd be best to keep my mind on things that people like me can do."

He was smiling widely now.

"I can handle one more naysayer."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:26:42 PM
"Just letting you know, the jedi arent all they are cracked up to be. Corse your hearing this from a creature of darkness so..."

Kaytor glanced back to him.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:32:02 PM
He hoisted his glass of water, in a mock toast to Kaytor.

"Well, here's to the next time we meet, and maybe I can change that point of view."

Kaytor Surna
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:38:18 PM
"Perhaps. But many have tried to do so. And many have failed. Good luck on your quest. May the force be with you."

She stood up and started to walk out the door.