PDA

View Full Version : The Dream: Part One

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:15:38 AM
Coruscant. The Greater Jedi Order. It was larger than life, certainly larger than any holocard that he'd gotten in the mail, which could never capture the ambience, energy, and the overall spirit, which now Jackson DeWitt could see with his own eyes. He'd sold his speeder to get this far. He didn't even have the fare money to return home to Mos Espa. His parents were poor and proud, moisture vaporator farmers that were just barely loving enough to send their youngest of 10 boys off on his damn-foolish dream...instead of being pragmatic enough to demand that he stay and help with the meager harvest. They could spare not a credit, though, so Jackson had to sell his second love of speeders to chase his first - becoming a Jedi. Now, he was closer than ever...and nobody had said he'd get even this far. He stood at the lobby of a spaceport, single bag in hand as he gawked among the thousands upon thousands that bustled around him. He was overwhelmed, and terribly excited.

"I'm on Coruscant..."

He kept repeating it, hoping the full effect wouldn't cause his heart to leap out of his chest. A group of pedestrians cleared from a nearby window, that opened up to the skyline. With a wide, uncontrollable grin, Jackson walked, then upgraded to a run, arriving at the viewport. There, looming several miles away, towering over everything else...

"The temple...."

Suddenly, his bag became too heavy to hold, even though there were only 5 days worth of clothes inside. He let it slide to the floor, placing a hand against the window. The five ivory towers soared, seeming to touch heaven on their ascent. Indeed the main tower loomed past the other spires, disappearing through the light urban haze. Jackson thought he'd have something more self-inspirational to say, to announce to himself that he'd finally 'made it'. All he could get out was...

"Wow."

He stood unmoving, as dozens others came and went, watching the spires glisten in the morning sunlight. Descending from cloud nine, he finally reached for his back, kicking up his lead-filled feet into another run, as he raced outside.

"Taxi! Taxi!"

A hovercab sidled to the sidewalk, and Jackson opened the door, tossing his bag in, and nearly diving inside, with eagerness. The Gran turned around casually.

Where to, kid?

Jackson sat for a moment, trying to get control of his heart again. He couldn't restrain the smile on his face, not even with the discipline of a Jedi Master.

"To the Jedi Temple! I'm going to be a Jedi!"

The Gran chuckled a little.

That sounds good to me, kid...congratulations. Gonna get a lightsaber and everything, eh?

Jackson beamed.

"I'd say so! Its the weapon of a Jedi Knight..."

His eyes took on a distant, far-away lustre, as he conjured up a quote that seemed burned on his very soul. Words first uttered by Obi Wan Kenobi, later taught to future generations by his student, the great Luke Skywalker.

"...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, with a more civilized edge."

Jackson realized that he'd gotten spacy. He laughed a bit, shrugging off his monumental eagerness.

"Its been a long way in from Tattooine, and I'm a bit excited."

The Gran smiled.

Well, then by all means, what am I waiting for? I got a Jedi onboard!

Laughing, the three-eyed alien, accelerated rapidly, making due haste to deliver the future member of the Jedi Order. Jackson was smiles all the way. A few minutes later, and he'd arrived, paying fare and gratuity to the Gran. He even leaned in, shaking the cabbie's grubby hand.

"Thank you for the ride, mister."

The Gran paused, a bit unprepared for the outer rim farmboy's graces. He smiled, eyestalks looking up to him.

Thanks nothin. Go be a hero. Hope you save the day!

The cab drove away, and Jackson was left at the entry arch to the Greater Jedi Order temple. It loomed above, beckoning in the throngs of similar hopefuls as himself, who longed to join the Order's hallowed halls. A few milled at the entrance, entering or chatting amongst others. Without running, which was an effort to resist, Jackson made his way inside. Once in the Recruitment Center, he paused, his bag again too heavy for him to hold, as he was weighted down by awe once again. There were elaborate archways and beautiful statues, depicting important people and events throughout the Order's thousand-generation life. Most read like children's tales to Jackson, and he'd committed almost all to memory before he had even lost his baby teeth. He glanced at the statues, his voice low and hushed.

"Echu Shen Jon, Tot Doneeta, Atreyu, Mace Windu, Yarael Poof, Figrin D'an, Obi Wan Kenobi, Kyle Katarn, Leia Solo, Marcus Q'Dunn, Yoda, Anbira Hicchoru, Corran Horn..."

They seemed to go on forever. He could lose himself for eternity, swimming in his dreams and wildest imaginings. Now, he could take his chance, to live the dream.

Oriadin
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:50:50 AM
Oriadin had been studying hard as per usual in the achives. Hed gone a little bleery eyed and so decided to call it a day. He returned the screen to the main page and left. He was heading back towards his quarters when a curious looking man seemed to be looking about in... wonder.

He walked up behind him and waited for him to turn round. He didnt. He seemed to be lost in his amazement of the statues that decorated the corridor they were in. The man knew all the people in the statues from what Oriadin could here. Pretty impressive for a stranger. It was probable that not all the Jedi knew who all of them were!

Finally Oriadin decided to make contact. He cleared his throat just enough so that the man could hear.

--Can I help you, young man?--

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:15:28 AM
Jackson turned around, a bit flushed in the face from being caught in such a goofy situation. He couldn't shake the grin from his face, as he looked back to Oriadin, and pointed back to the statues all around.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mister, I didn't see where in particular to go from here, and...well, I've got holos of this at home, and its a bit of sensory overload, I guess."

He gulped. He was rambling, and he was nervous, and worst of all, he hadn't introduced himself to this man who, by the looks of him, was a Jedi Knight! He held out a hand that was a little damp from his excitement's perspiration. Pausing, he buffed it against the side of his slacks.

"I-I'm DeWitt...uh...Jackson DeWitt, from Mos Espa."

Mentally, he kicked himself. As if the Jedi cared about what poor little town on Tattooine he was from. He could count the number of traffic lights in the entire place on a hand.

"I've um...come to apply for membership in the Jedi."

He stammered a little, and caught his voice.

"I realize...um....by Old Republic standards that I'm too old for the training, but they said that all ages can apply now that the Empire's fallen and...its been really all I could think about aside from moisture vaporators since I could speak, or at least thats what my mom tells me."

He blinked hard, kicking himself double-time for more rambling.

"I...guess I just need to find out if there's um...someone I can talk to? About getting in?"

He looked at Oriadin, biting his lip a little.

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:00:54 AM
"Getting in? Didn't you walk through the door?"

Zeke laughed and stood from where he'd been sitting.

"My name's Zeke, I'm a Knight here at the Order. I'm assuming you wish to join...?"

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:24:49 AM
Sene smiled as he watched the young man who appeared to be awestruck ramble on at Oriadin. His stuttering speach reminded Sene of himself when he too entered the temple for the first time. The smile still extended across his face, he approached the young man and offered his hand. He just hoped the new guy wouldn't be put off at having to talk to a 14 year old....

"Hello, my name is Sene Unty. I am a padawan here at the order. Did you say your name was Jackson?"

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:26:28 AM
"Well...yessir, I mean, I..."

He smiled, realizing that even a Jedi Knight could crack a joke.

"...I'm Jackson DeWitt, sir, from Tattooine."

He extended the same hand to Zeke. In the back of his mind, he was analyzing the situation, and a voice said You are shaking the hand of a Jedi Knight. It was an introspective nearly strong enough to cause him to go weak in the knees. Instead, he continued to shake Zeke's hand.

"Yessir, I took up some fare on an outbound transport, and came to Coruscant. I've always wanted to be a Jedi."

He paused, regrouping to explain.

"Well, I suppose its on account of everybody saying I wouldn't amount to no good like that. I mean, they're always the first to tell me that I should stick to knowin about vaporators, and that maybe I don't even know that so well, but I've never had my heart in moisture farming, and well...about the only thing we've got out on the Rim are stories..."

He stammered a bit.

"...y'know, all the famous Jedi that have come to Tattooine, or even grew up there. Its like, gifted...like some great big common destiny, I think. I've heard stories since probably before I could understand words, and there ain't much else to do in Mos Espa thats decent, aside from working and daydreaming."

He was rambling yet again, and he paused abruptly.

"Sorry. Its been a busy day, I think."

He nodded in greeting and an affirmative at Sene's query, eyes following the approaching Padawan.

"Yessir. Jackson DeWitt, sir."

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:32:48 AM
Zeke relaxed his hand, but Jackson continued to shake it anyway. Zeke continued to shake Jackson's hand to hide the newcomer's nervousness.

"You're from Tatooine? You got lucky. I myself have no homeplanet."

But the point wasn't to share background with the man. The point was to see if he was worthy of being a Jedi.

"You want to join us to prove those who doubt you wrong?"

Sounded kinda selfish to Zeke, though it was perfectly understandable.

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:35:47 AM
Sene listened to Zeke's question and nodded.

"I dont know if that is a good enough reason for joining the order. You need a better reason than proving others wrong."

Oriadin
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:38:23 AM
Oriadin felt that Jackson felt somewhat honored to be talking to a Jedi. He seemed nervous and somewhat unsure of himself but already Oriadin liked him. He seemed like a simple but noble man. He shook his hand.

--My name is Oriadin, I am a padawan here at the Jedi Order--

Oriadin looked the man up and down. Although he seemed a nice enough man, his lack of confidence and the fact that he seemed... giddy left doubts in Oriadins mind whether or not this man truly had what it takes to be a Jedi, or whether or not he was simply a Jedi fanboy. A few had come in before, hoping to become a Jedi, and not really knowing what was involved.

--You seem to know an awful lot about the Jedi and the building here for an outsider.--

He smiled to make the man feel welcome. Just then Zeke and Sene spoke to Jackson.

--Usually Xazor, another Jedi here deals with all the incomming potentials although shes been very busy recently so weve all been trying to help out. I dont know if she is about today, we could wait or I could give you a brief look round, if you like--

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:41:52 AM
"Well....nosir, not all for that. I guess thats just what's easiest to remember and such. I've dreamed about it for more than that. I've seen enough trouble on Tattooine, and seen people hurt this way and that. Being kicked around isn't for me, sir...if you know what I mean. I got a lot of brothers and sisters back home, and they're all gonna do what our mom and dad have been doing, and what their moms and dads before them did. Thats how it is out there, and I guess with you not having a home, may not be easy to understand."

He shuffled on his feet.

"Its not much, but its tradition...and they wouldn't leave even if I took em with me, which I can't for lack of means. And there's bad folks same as good there, and I'm guessin that applies everywhere, too. Seen good folks get pushed around plenty of times, but there's not a lot to be done about it when you're just a farmhand halfway between civilization and dune sea."

He smiled nervously, licking at his dry lips.

"So I suppose my dream isn't too bad to ask, seeing as I could even do some good for all the family I left behind, and other families, even. Everybody knows the Jedi, and they know the good they do. I just wanna be a part of doing something right."

At Oriadin's words, Jackson's eyes widened.

"You know Xazor Leo Dawnstrider???"

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he'd closed his eyes, wishing he could will them back. OF COURSE he knew her. Everybody here probably did. But...there was something larger than life about her, about a lot of Jedi. Even on backwater Tattooine, the Garou knight's name reached his ears in thrilling tales, and he'd amassed holos and news clippings, following her service to the Jedi with a collector's zeal.

"Well, if she's busy, I don't mean to be imposing. I don't have a place to stay here yet, but...I mean...I can come back, unless somebody else can look into my application? I really don't mind, its an honor any way around it."

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:48:58 AM
Zeke raised a brow.

"Xaz is the regular greeter, but any Knight can accept new recruits..."

At least his sudden excitement had given Zeke the chance to stop shaking his hand.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:54:30 AM
"Ok, well...is there anything I need to do? Do you need a blood sample for midichlorian count, or maybe I need to fill out a form. I don't mind either way. I got my physical before leaving, and doc said that I'm healthy, but...he doesn't have anything to do with midichlorians, and I told him thanks anyways."

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 12:00:34 PM
Forms? Midichlorian count? Zeke didn't even know his own count, but it hadn't stopped him. Nor had he filled out any forms.

"I don't recall any papers to be signed...oh wait, There was. Oriadin and/or Sene, go get the waiver. The one about losing limbs in duels with Sith Lords."

He was kidding again, but his voice was serious. A subtle hint at the dangers of being a Jedi.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 12:05:15 PM
Jackson laughed along.

"Well, I know it could come to that, but I figure that you've got a better chance facing trouble than having it come looking for you."

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 12:10:42 PM
"More often than not, trouble will come looking for you. In the form of Sith, Dark Jedi, street thugs, even the civilians whose lives you're trying to make better. Being a Jedi isn't easy. Nor is it fun and games. Since my arrival here at the Order, I have fought Sith of nearly all ranks, fought soliders, fought thugs, fought those I try to save. And not all battles are physical either. Many opponents know the strength of attacking the heart, the mind, the soul. Such attacks as those are even harder, at times impossible to defend against. Trouble for a Jedi is a wide array of things, and not all of them can be prevented. I myself have failed in protecting and bettering the universe more times than succeeded."

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 12:13:53 PM
Sene smiled at the excitement the boy showed at hearing the name Xazor. If he only knew that Sene's master was Xazor.....boy he would go into convulsions. If anyone knew Xazor in this room the best it was him.

Sene laughed at Zeke's joke than smiled at Jackson's return comment.

"We Jedi usually wait for the trouble to come looking for us. After all, Jedi shouldn't instigate a fight.......we are defenders not attackers."

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 12:23:39 PM
"Well...I don't mean to come off as a braggart, sir, and I don't have much in the ways of laurels to sit on anyway, but I'm not a quitter. Its been hard enough gettin here as-is. I sold my speeder to get here, and don't have much in the way of any money left. My family can't support me, and they're now a hand short on harvest."

His voice lowered a little.

"But I will do anything to succeed here. Its the first and last thought through my head, every day. No Jedi is a quitter."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 01:17:00 PM
< Greetings, Jackson DeWitt. >

He could hear the voice inside of his head instead of spoken aloud as a figure in brown robes edged closer. There were so many aliens and people alike bustling through the Recruitment Center that she had gone unnoticed, especially in the attire, even though it was the traditional Jedi robes. Lowering her hood, fair blond hair was revealed and brown eyes peered out towards him.

< My name is Salemn Lysce, and I, too, am a Knight of this Order. I am sure that Lady Xazor will have time to get acquainted with you. >

The young woman's eyes took on a harder look as she began to pace around him, almost examining him. Let's see .. humble looks, trusting eyes...

< You seem to have alot of compassion for one from Tattoine. >

Stopping infront of Jackson, Salemn finally smiled slightly.

< I have one question, although I'm quite sure you're getting tired of those. What do you think the Jedi stand for ? >

(OOC - *Edit* Sorry ! )

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 01:27:11 PM
He was dumbstruck, as the woman's voice filled his mind. He'd never experienced telepathy before, but he'd known about it enough, and knew of the Jedi Knight called Salemn Lysce, and her muteness that demanded that she master the skill of transmitting thought. He'd wondered what it would be like, and if he'd know it if it happened. Now, he stood...a bit breathless.

"Wow..."

He shook the amazed look from his face, and realized Salemn had asked him a question.

"My apologies, Miss Lysce. I, um....that was a first time thing for me. Not that I didn't know, but...I've never done that before, and its a bit exhillarating."

The question...

"Well...I think the Jedi stand for good people, even when good people don't have a leg to stand on, at times."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 02:23:43 PM
The smile grew somewhat broader at his reaction, but it quickly faded away at his answer.

< The Jedi aren't just 'for the people', Jackson. Let's say, for instance, that a Senator needs to get back to his planet and his ship broke down. Unfortunately, he's being followed by an experienced bounty hunter. The Jedi who's protecting him has a choice of either giving their credits to a homeless beggar or giving it to someone who can take the Senator back to his home planet. The Jedi will choose the latter. >

She crossed her arms, canting her head to the side.

< Do you know anything of the Force ? >

Most people who came to join knew of it, although they weren't questioned of their knowledge, but Jackson was ... different.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 02:36:17 PM
"Well, I figure Senators are people too, ma'am...and figuring that we can't save everybody in the galaxy, doesn't mean we can't try."

The next query came, and Jackson's eyes lit up as her voice filled his mind.

"Do I? I know lots about it! Its an energy field, created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."

He detatched himself from the quote in his mind.

"I haven't had any personal experience, ma'am...but I'm eager to learn and can work extra hard on the skills that I need."

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:02:09 PM
Sene stood silently listening to the exchange between Jackson and Salemn. He smiled at every question and grimaced at every answer. He seemed to be quoting alot. His final comment shocked Sene to the core.....

"You have never experienced the force? What makes you think you have any ability?"

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:34:21 PM
"I couldn't tell you why, sir...I have dreams sometimes. Maybe a dream is a bit of your destiny reaching down and giving you a trail of breadcrumbs when you're not looking. I know I haven't found all I'm looking for, sir, and I know I couldn't prove to you now that the force is with me."

He sighed.

"But I know it will be...if you'll just give me the chance to reach down and find it. I'm not the biggest or strongest, and I know I'm not no bookworm, and that can give me trouble too, but I surely won't disappoint you. Any of you."

He looked around at the others...and could see genuine concern weighted on their faces.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:45:15 PM
"Never dissapoint us?"

:: A voice came out of the shadows as a hand slowly landed on Jacksons's left shoulder.::

"Maybe we should give him a chance to proove that"Lance then walked over towards Salemn and nodded to all of the jedis gathered in the RC, he stopped walking and turned around to once again face him, his arms folded around his chest.

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 04:32:50 PM
Zeke looked to Salemn and Lance. They weren't helping much at all. Salemn it seemed had outright insulted him. Here Lance was wanting to test him.

"And did your recruiters grill you this hard with questioning and tests?"

Zeke sighed.

"If you must...but I think its unfair of you to try the poor guy like this. I believe, that if given the chance, he will eventually prove you all to be wrong."

He bowed to Jackson.

"Good luck to you..."

And he turned and left him to Salemn and Lance's superficial testing.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:06:01 PM
"Sir, its alright. I don't mind! I'll do anything any of you ask, to get accepted. I know I can do it!"

Jackson smiled at Zeke's blessings, grasping his hand again as he departed.

"Thank you, sir!"

Zeke
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:15:31 PM
Zeke grinned, his heart sinking at Jackson's enthusiasm. Though he had little doubt the man had potential, he knew that in the face of Lance and Salemn's testing he would be turned down.

"It's no problem. Good luck, once again."

And then he was gone.

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:01:03 PM
Sene watched Zeke leave and turned his attention back to Jackson. The guy didn't seem to ever lose that massive grin he wore so proudly on his face.

"Dreams are a powerful thing Jackson. You must never lose sight of them....but you can not allow dreams to dictate your life. Do you really think you are prepared to be a Jedi knight? Let me tell you Jackson the road is not easy....and despite your apparently unwaivering enthusiasm, you will need something deeper than confidence."

Sene looked into the mans eyes.

"Hearing what you have said today gives me hope. Unfortunatly I am not a decision maker around here. That duty falls on my master Xazor."

Than Sene smiled.

"But I think she'll like you....."

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 09:12:27 PM
Jackson nodded, understanding Sene's words.

"Should I wait for Master Dawnstrider's decision here? Is there anything else for me to do? I know I must seem like such a rube with all these questions."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:00:22 PM
< Not necessarily. Any Knight can welcome someone into the folds of the Order. >

Salemn sighed slightly before shifting her weight to the other foot.

< What do you believe is the most important thing in this whole universe ? The one thing that no one could live without ? >

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:09:39 PM
The question derailed Jackson...how in the frell could you answer something so...big?

"I...um...don't really know how to answer that, ma'am. Thats a bit much to put into a word."

A look of concern creeped on his face, as he scratched slightly behind his ear. He had never thought of that before.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:24:48 PM
< Is it really? >

Taking a step back, she studied him carefully. He seemed a little dumbfounded and taken aback by her question.

< Fame? Riches? Compassion? Knowledge? Truth? Honor? The choice is yours - choose wisely. >

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:28:46 PM
"But...there's nothing there that is that much more important than another, no matter how big it is, ma'am. I don't understand."

He paused, desperately.

"But...but I can! I just need to think about it more, or learn."

His voice trailed off, as his racing mind failed to find the right mental tangent that could deliver the answer to him.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:38:21 PM
< If money would suddenly disappear, there would be chaos in the galaxy for having nothing to pay with. Without honor, the Jedi would not be. If there was no compassion, nobody would care for the other and it would be brutal, destroying many lives and hopes. If knowledge didn't exist, the universe wouldn't have survived all these years. If there was no fame, then no Senators and Emperors could be elected, depending on which you fancy, and then there would be nobody to represent their planet, make treaties, and so on. >

There was more that she could've rattled off, but she stopped and sighed slightly. He was trying - that much she had to give - but sometimes trying just wasn't enough.

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:50:45 PM
"But...Master Lysce...none of em are any bigger than any of the others...or, if they are, then its by such a little bit, that who's to say?"

He was beginning to unravel a bit, and bit on his lower lip to try and focus his thoughts.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:04:36 AM
He was beginning to get nervous ..

< Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering ... Are you afraid? >

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:08:26 AM
He started to answer, but stopped. Was he?

"Well I...don't wanna let everybody down, ma'am. Mom and Dad took an awful big hit, lettin me out on my own in the middle of harvest. They're a hand short, and I don't wanna fail."

His eyes were downcast.

"I suppose I am afraid a little, ma'am."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:15:30 AM
< Much fear I sense in you. >

Narrowing her eyes, Salemn uncrossed her arms.

< You fear for your parents, for your future, for your reputation .. I do not know if we can accept you into our ranks. >

Taking a step back, she sighed.

< And that is what you fear most. >

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:32:40 AM
Jackson felt his face blanch.

"I do not know if we can accept you into our ranks."

It repeated over and over in his mind, as he licked at dry lips.

"Master Lysce, is there something I can do? You don't understand. All my life, this is what I've known I was going to do. M...maybe I can...you know...become less afraid? Its just that my whole life, nobody's given me a second thought...you know, ma'am. About being somebody...about makin a difference. I've thought about this day for years, and please...there's gotta be something I can do, Master Lysce. Please."

Jackson suddenly felt much smaller than he actually was.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:44:13 AM
< If all your life you've been this concerned about what others think, then if you become a Jedi you'll drive yourself mentally insane. A few civilians might believe you to be the hero, where others see you as a plague. The Sith will twist your vunerable mind and you'll crumble to nothing. No, I don't think I can allow that to happen. >

Shaking her head, she reached into her pockets and drew out a handful of credits.

< No. You cannot be a Jedi. In time, after you've become more sure of yourself you can come back and we will see. Until then, this should suffice you. Remember - one doesn't have to be a Jedi to commit good deeds. >

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 15th, 2002, 12:57:56 AM
And with a thought, Jackson DeWitt's dream was crushed.

The funny thing about dreams though, is that you can step on them, flatten them, smash them in and deform them. Destroying them is another matter entirely. Even as the pit of Jackson's stomach seemed to drop away with his dismay, his dream lived. Bruised. Beaten. Left for dead, like so many others had done when they'd never given him a second thought. It was a large blow, but...dreams are so very hard to destroy.

Jackson didn't say a word. He didn't take the money. He was poor, it was true...but he had far too much dignity left to accept charity. Not while he could scrape a meager life himself. He slowly backed away from the group...finally able to speak, but just barely.

<font size=-2>"Thank you....I'll try again....later."</font>

Picking up his small bag of clothes, Jackson turned, retracing his steps out of the recruitment center.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:04:35 AM
His pride had kept him back from taking the credits, even though it could've been sent to his parents. Putting it back within her pocket, she watched his disappearing figure until it could be seen no more, then turned around. Leaving the Recruitment Center, she would go to her Quarters and pour herself something to drink and meditate. Salemn didn't even bother looking at Oriadin or Sene as she left, feeling the despair Jackson had left in the air.

Oriadin
Oct 15th, 2002, 03:02:38 AM
Oriadins heart sank for the young man. It was so very sad. Salemn had been harsh but fair in his opinion. You could not choose to have the force. No matter how much you wanted it. It really did seem like this young man didnt have it in him.

Oriadin stayed very quiet as all the proceedings unfolded. It was outranked by everyone there and so felt their judgement would perhaps be better. He choose to stand, listen and learn. He couldnt help but feel so sorry for the young man though. Hed come all this way and this was his dream. Perhaps there was something Oriadin could do. He hated to see people in despair and suffering.

He ran after the man but he couldnt see where hed gone. Oriadin went off to look for him.

EDIT: I didnt realise there was a follow up to this in the bar and grill until after I entered this in so Ive split the post up into this thread and the one in the B&G