PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Prey

Jinn Fizz
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:06:50 PM
So did anybody here watch this new show on the WB Wednesday night? I thought it was kind of interesting, and shows some promise...I think it will be worth catching a few more episodes and see how it develops. :)

BUFFJEDI
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:54:31 PM
I wanted to, but I missed it :(. It's either going to be good or suck big time :) :( . I read/ heard somewhere that Mark Hammill was going to do the voice for a Joker type on the show or the joker himself. I just wonder if they got it mixed up with the Cartoon batman :huh

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2002, 04:05:44 PM
I read of Hammill's involvement as well. I don't think it's a screw up. His voice work as the Joker is simply amazing. I don't know if he'll film any scenes, or simply stick to doing some voice over work. I wouldn't mind seeing him play the part, he'd do a great job.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 12th, 2002, 04:51:18 PM
There was a big credit in the beginning of the show for Mark Hamill doing the voice of the Joker, but it was actually pretty ridiculous because the Joker was only featured in a couple of stylized flashbacks and he said hardly anything :p.

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2002, 04:57:20 PM
So how did they explain Batman's absence? Is he "retired?"

Jinn Fizz
Oct 12th, 2002, 05:16:53 PM
The Joker basically succeeded in driving Batman into hiding...he arranged for the killing of Selena Kyle, AKA Catwoman. Selena was murdered in front of her daughter, Helena, who was fathered by Bruce Wayne. On the same night that Selena was killed, the Joker himself showed up at Barbara "Batgirl" Gordon's apartment and shot her. He didn't kill her, but he left her a quadriplegic. It was too much for Batman, and he disappeared. No one knows where he is.

Helena Kyle has become a crime-fighting superhero known as "The Huntress," and Barbara Gordon has become "Oracle," kind of like the brains of the operation.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 12th, 2002, 06:15:24 PM
I've never heard of this show...darn, and now I've missed it. Is it a cartoon or live action?

Figrin D'an
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:05:52 PM
Saw part of it... wasn't impressed.

But, then again, I'm really not into that particular genre of show.

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:39:55 PM
I was wondering how they were going handle Oracle. In the comics the Joker shoots her while she's at home with her father Commisioner Gordon. The Joker then kidnaps and tortures Gordon in an attempt to drive him insane. Batman saves Gordon, and Gordon orders him to bring the Joker in the "right" way. Batman brings him in and they share a joke which I always took to refer to the title of the comic; The Killing Joke. But the killing of Kyle is a big departure and I'm not sure I like the idea of it. If the show is in the style of "Buffy" then it's not something I'm inclined to enjoy.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 12th, 2002, 09:01:37 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I've never heard of this show...darn, and now I've missed it. Is it a cartoon or live action?

Live action.

Oh, and Harley Quinn is in it too. She's played by Mia Sara...it took me a while to recognize her, because in things like Legend and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, she had long dark hair. Now she's got really short blonde hair.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:43:52 PM
The Joker basically succeeded in driving Batman into hiding That may have ruined it for me right there:(

NOone force's Batman to do anything , even Superman:cool

But I'm going to give it a shot anyway

On Mark Hamill , I thought he did a fine job on the Flash Tv show:)

Jinn Fizz
Oct 13th, 2002, 09:04:13 AM
Oh yeah, the Trickster!!! I loved the Flash, that was a great series, too bad it lasted only one season. :(

On Birds of Prey, Batman was seen in flashbacks, but that's all. I have my doubts as to whether he'll ever pop up in the series. It's pretty obvious that this series is a variation on a theme, it's the female side of superhero crimefighting, I guess. In the premiere episode, Barbara and Helena added a third person to their crimefighting squad, a teenaged girl with psychic powers. It remains to be seen if she gets a cool superhero name. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 13th, 2002, 12:41:14 PM
I would have checked it out but the WB isn't in this area which stinks. I would really like to watch Smallville, it sounds like a very good show. Birds of Prey I don't know, I guess if you look at as an alternative universe kind of thing.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:49:23 PM
Smallville is great!! I personally thought it would be a real stinker . But boy was I wrong.Now do not get me wrong it does at times get a little lame BUT for the most part it is one of the best show's on tv. Bo duke does a great job as Johnathan clark, and the guy playing lex (Can't think of his name ?? ) is super. He just to me seems what lex would have been younger.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:50:30 PM
Mater Carr, I can tape Smallville for you :)But you may be lost if you have yet to see the earlier show's :(

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:58:22 PM
Maybe I will just rent Season One on DVD whenever that comes out, it is probably the best thing to do.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 13th, 2002, 06:31:09 PM
Well Fine than:headbash ;)

I do wish they would putit on DVD soon. There are several episodes i missed:(

Taylor Millard
Oct 13th, 2002, 07:24:59 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Birds of Prey I don't know, I guess if you look at as an alternative universe kind of thing.

Actually it's funny, the DC Comicverse (to most silver agers) is considered Alternate Universe. So DC and WB basically just went back to Silver Age Batman (where he married Catwoman and had a kid) and updated it.

It's just new for us new guys. I'll have to confirm it with some of my comic buddies, but I believe it was Silver Age Batman who had a kid with Catwoman.

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2002, 07:41:31 PM
Never knew that. So when did the split occur? You'd figure the storylines need to start over every few decades anyway. You just can't keep heroes frozen in their mid 30's forever. I was into Batman for a few years, but I've kind of lost interest since Knights End. Everything after that has just been kind of a letdown. Now I just look for the occasional good story. Keeping track of continuity is just kind of silly to me.

Taylor Millard
Oct 14th, 2002, 01:06:33 AM
The split happened around...'85 I think...THINK is the key word.

The story is called 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'. It's how DC got all their universes down to one. Or tried to.

Sene Unty
Oct 16th, 2002, 12:41:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I was wondering how they were going handle Oracle. In the comics the Joker shoots her while she's at home with her father Commisioner Gordon. The Joker then kidnaps and tortures Gordon in an attempt to drive him insane. Batman saves Gordon, and Gordon orders him to bring the Joker in the "right" way. Batman brings him in and they share a joke which I always took to refer to the title of the comic; The Killing Joke.

By the fantastically supberb Alan Moore....anyone who remotely likes comics should read this....and Watchmen....and his new comic Top 10....and anything this guy has ever written :D

Originally posted by Taylor Millard
The story is called 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'. It's how DC got all their universes down to one. Or tried to.

Crisis was great, but it still left things unfinished because it didn't completly kill off all the alterante universes. They had a similar story a while later that tryed to make a clean sweep, but that failed, and caused them to try again. The first one was great....escpecially Earth-2 where all the JLA were bad guys....awesome stuff. :D

I dont know about this new show....the comic is good, but it looked kinda cheesy to me....I'll give it a try though. What time does it come on???

Taylor Millard
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:04:14 PM
It comes on Wednesday at 9PM Eastern and Pacific so 8PM Central. Just got finished watching it, it's not bad at all. I'm sure we'll see a crossover at some point between Smallville and BoP (as comic readers affenctionately call it).

I think it's gotta good chance of doing well. They're doing a nice mix of the old (Huntress being Catwoman and Batman's daughter) and the new (Oracle being Batgirl). I think it's gotta chance.

And as for Zero Hour...yeah, it had some okay elements, but much of the good stuff happened afterwards (JSA coming back, Hal Jordan being Spectre...etc etc.)

Hopefully we'll see a young Bruce Wayne series at some point. Or a Nightwing one. Both would work good imho.