PDA

View Full Version : OOC changes discussion

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:55:38 PM
Okay, here is what I think are some things we can do to the FAQ for an OOC specific rule set.

Rules

-People who hijack/flood threads tagged with [NSP] or [RP] get one warning and then are banned from OOC if the warnings are not heeded. This also applies to those who post in one of the threads tagged as stated previously with NO relevance to the topic IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. Not someone talking about something vaguely relevant. Just those with NO relevance

-Postcount++ People deemed to be posting for no other reason than to add to their post count will have their post count reset to zero if they persist after a single warning.

-Harassment/Disrespect. (needs more of a definition) One warning and then banning from OOC will follow.

-People rearranging swear words so they can be used. If they're filtered, the word is banned, no matter how pretty it looks. One warning and then banning from OOC will follow.

Topic tags proposed for use in the OOC forum.

Topic tags will be added as an option when creating a new thread, in the form of a drop down list. These tags are to help people find topics of interest to them. Topics that fit into any of the categories mentioned but not tagged, are subject to have their first post modified by a staff member so that the topic can be easily identified.

[NSP] = No Spam Request. (no hijacking)
[RP] = Role-Play discussions. (no hijacking)
[LIMG] = Large Image(s) included.
[MUS] = Music file included.
[XLINK] = External link included.
[HIJK] = Thread Hijacks welcome.
[QUIZ] = Quiz or questionnaire included.
[SPAM] = No point of discussion. An advertisement or pointless topic.

It was also suggested by myself and Ryla to split OOC into two seperate forums. One for serious topics and one for the "non serious" topics, but if topic tags are accepted and used, that should not be needed.

Nupraptor
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:58:14 PM
I don't think the tags should be mandatory, but they should be highly encouraged. If someone really doesn't want spam in their topic, they'll use the tag.

I think the [MUS] tag should be changed to read "embedded music within", or something like that.

Taylor Millard
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:59:42 PM
I like everything except for splitting OOC forum. I don't see that necessary.

But everything else looks fine to me.

How long of a banning though?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:59:58 PM
Nope, I don't mean to say that tags are mandatory for all topics, but any that fit into the categories we have, should be tagged IMO. Mainly NSP, LIMG, MUS, and RP

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:01:38 PM
Originally posted by Taylor Millard
I like everything except for splitting OOC forum. I don't see that necessary.

But everything else looks fine to me.

How long of a banning though? The bannings I mentioned in the proposed rules would be forum specific for only the OOC forum. If the individual decides to take the activities that got them banned from the OOC forum to other forums then a board wide banning could follow.

Some kind of restitution or period of banning isn't a bad idea to have for OOC forum specific bannings.

Taylor Millard
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:06:19 PM
Oh I know...EDIT- SWFans clarified...question null and void.

*can think of one RPer who could be banned right now. And is literally asking for it too.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:14:52 PM
I mentioned that.
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Some kind of restitution or period of banning isn't a bad idea to have for OOC forum specific bannings. But right now am asking for ideas. :p

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 01:22:14 PM
Another rule:

-One on one conversations that could be discussed in an Instant Messanger application or Private Message will be closed.

(it may need some fine tuning for clarification)

Gav Mortis
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:21:30 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Another rule:

-One on one conversations that could be discussed in an Instant Messanger application or Private Message will be closed.

(it may need some fine tuning for clarification)

I completely agree with that as there is a very recent example of that currently in OOC.

Perhaps the splitting of OOC into two sub-forums is unneccessary at the moment, I think the final OOC forum rule set should be posted once decided upon and observe how well it works and by the results that follow we could discuss whether or not a split is needed.

I really like the tags that we could see being implemented - it would help provide a much more fluid and controlled navigation of the forum for posters.

The harrassment/disrespect rules will need defining and need to be fleshed out but are very important, as such need to be very specific so there can be no "loop-hole-ing" of the rules. Attitudes about that place do get pumped up to excess and in-your-face at times, I for one am sick of attitude and being on the recieving end of it. I wont have it personally and I think a big crack-down needs to be put into action against the "hot-heads".

I am about to have dinner so I will elaborate on my ideas later but lets hope this revamping of the OOC code of conduct with bring about vast improvements. :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:28:24 PM
I am currently working on getting the topic tag hack installed. It appears to be a very well written hack and is rather complex, but will do exactly what we want. It is also forum specific so that any of the groups that may wish to implement something similar (yet have different tags or formatting of tags since its partially template based) can do so with little trouble. :)

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:28:40 PM
Gav, I agree with you... people need to just chill out and admit that they were wrong. Not me, of course, because I am perfect. :lol

I like these tags... but could they be color coded??? :D

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:31:03 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
Gav, I agree with you... people need to just chill out and admit that they were wrong. Not me, of course, because I am perfect. :lol

I like these tags... but could they be color coded??? :D At this point I am not certain if each tag could have a different color because its not in use for me to play with yet. I have a feeling that all the tags will be the same color though no matter how much I fiddle with it. The whole group of tags can certianly have a single specific color so that all tagged topics stand out in each style though, that I know for sure at this point.

EDIT: BTW The structure of the hack will allow us to add or modify tags easily. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 12th, 2002, 04:53:29 PM
I like all these ideas. :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:16:28 PM
At this point I am inclined to think that bannings from OOC for rule violations should be for a period of a week. If the user has to be banned from OOC more than once it is permanent, but these policies are still up for discussion.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 13th, 2002, 04:34:06 AM
No need to split the OOC forum - rest is cool

ReaperFett
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:44:28 AM
I think it depends on the crime. I remember banning Leeloo for a weekend or a Sturday (I forget which) to calm down. It did work.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 13th, 2002, 12:27:43 PM
Ah yes, blissful silence. :D

ReaperFett
Oct 13th, 2002, 12:49:47 PM
Would have loved to have seen a graph showing post stats with that in the middle :)

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:45:41 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who is bugged by such antics... I bet the stats are oddly low for that weekend... :D