PDA

View Full Version : About Count Dooku.

Blaine
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:48:54 AM
Would he be considered a sort of Dark Jedi in SWFans terms?

If not, then what would he be considered because he wouldn't be a Jedi, but would he a be a Sith?

Taylor Millard
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:49:56 AM
I believe they (being Lucas) said he was a Sith, since Sideous is a Sith.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:50:54 AM
Hrm, but Palapatine had Dark Jedi as well if I remember correctly....

Taylor Millard
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:52:24 AM
Wait...you're right.

I forgot...the Lucas definition of a Dark Jedi is a Jedi trained in the light who has fallen away from the path.

He MIGHT be considered a Dark Jedi.

*shrugs*

Never really thought 'bout it honestly.

Blaine
Oct 12th, 2002, 11:01:03 AM
Darth Vader:

Jedi trained in the light who has fallen away from the path?

Taylor Millard
Oct 12th, 2002, 11:02:20 AM
Yup, even with the title 'Dark Lord of the Sith'. Could've been both I suppose.

We do have some Dark Jedi characters on the boards who are also Sith. And vice versa.

ReaperFett
Oct 12th, 2002, 11:14:42 AM
Let's see.....

A Dark Jedi is basically a bad Jedi.

A Sith is someone who follows a certain religion, basically.

So, he would be both Dark Jedi AND Sith, IMO

Nupraptor
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:47:44 PM
Mmm... I think he would be close to a Dark Jedi. But I consider the two terms mutually exclusive. If you follow the Sith religion, you are a Sith. If you have studied it, and use it for your own reasons, then you can be a Dark Jedi.

The main difference between the two is ideals. Many Dark Jedi do not believe that they are evil. The original Dark Jedi were simply normal Jedi who thought they could use the Dark Side for good purposes.

To give an example: If you were to convert to a religion, you would follow all the normal traditions. You'd celebrate their Holidays, follow their traditions, etc. But if you didn't want to become a part of that religion, you could still study it and maybe copy a couple of their practices, without actually believing in it. Ya dig?

Xenodoros Stormrider
Oct 12th, 2002, 02:47:50 PM
I dig.

Thanks for answering the question everyone.

Severen Morkonis
Oct 12th, 2002, 02:48:51 PM
Skippy-E-Do

Darius Van-Derveld
Oct 13th, 2002, 03:37:57 AM
like.... even people wha arent christian celebrate christmas

i always though dark jedi just used the Force for their own gain, not always to deliberately hurt people....
but then again........ ah, too confusing.

Ishan Shade
Oct 13th, 2002, 10:59:33 AM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
Mmm... I think he would be close to a Dark Jedi. But I consider the two terms mutually exclusive. If you follow the Sith religion, you are a Sith. If you have studied it, and use it for your own reasons, then you can be a Dark Jedi.

The main difference between the two is ideals. Many Dark Jedi do not believe that they are evil. The original Dark Jedi were simply normal Jedi who thought they could use the Dark Side for good purposes.

To give an example: If you were to convert to a religion, you would follow all the normal traditions. You'd celebrate their Holidays, follow their traditions, etc. But if you didn't want to become a part of that religion, you could still study it and maybe copy a couple of their practices, without actually believing in it. Ya dig?

I think Nupraptor hit it right on the head...!

(btw I'm new here...so....Hello all!)

Taylor Millard
Oct 13th, 2002, 11:10:51 AM
Welcome to SWFans. :)

Enjoy ya stay.

Evil Hobgoblin
Oct 13th, 2002, 03:41:10 PM
I've always considered "Dark Jedi" to straddle the border between Sith and Jedi. They believe Jedi ways to be ineffective, and so pursue more unrestricted methods to similar goals. Sith have a different set of beliefs that arise from totally embracing the Dark Jedi methodology. Thus, Dark Jedi are more redeemable than Sith, but just as easily completely corruptable.

This could be redundant, but I wanted to spout out my take a little bit. :)

Xenodoros Stormrider
Oct 13th, 2002, 03:47:59 PM
I understand what you're saying. Dark Jedi want to do more than the Jedi, but they don't want to do what the Sith do. But they're just as dangerous. Got it =P

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 13th, 2002, 04:02:40 PM
A Dark Jedi is simply any Jedi, with or without training in the Sith tradition, who came to fall under the influence of the Dark Side.

He could be considered a Sith and a Dark Jedi, because all Sith are essentially Dark Jedi... but all Dark Jedi aren't necessarily Sith.

I just felt the need to add in mine to this.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 13th, 2002, 04:14:24 PM
I also wanted to point out that Darth Sideous is not a Sith.

When people hear the term 'Sith' they automatically assume it's just an 'evil' Jedi - like a bad guy/good guy type of thing. The Sith were their own race, they had their own planet in which they lived. The race was exterminated when their entire planet exploded, which supposedly took place even before Episode I.

Darth Vader attained the title "Dark Lord of the Sith", yet he wasn't even a Sith.

I have no explanation for Darth Maul. That's Lucas' mistake.

Now that I think about it, I should retract my statement in the post above saying Dooku could be Sith, because if the Sith were gone by Episode I then there's no way he could be one. I'd say the only thing he could've been was a Dark Jedi.

Gurney Devries
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:17:10 PM
Actually, what happened was that the original Dark Jedi stumbled upon the Sith planet in the Unknown Regions and studied their religious powers over the Force. I believe they even inter-bred with them.
Sith
this ancient brotherhood of Jedi Knights split from the ranks of the "lightsiders" when access to the ancient Sith lore was forbidden. The Jedi Council feared that the knowledge of harnessing the Dark Side of the Force would be twisted and used to perform many evil acts. The Sith brotherhood was founded some 2,000 years before the Battle of Yavin by a rogue Jedi Knight who yearned to learn more of the Dark Side of the Force. Together with about 50 followers, this rogue fled the Old Republic and established his own Sith order. With galactic domination on their agenda, these new Sith Lords quickly became distrustful of each other and abusive of their dark side powers. In a short time, they had nearly wiped themselves out again. One Sith Lord remained, a man by the name of Darth Bane. He swore that the Sith would never again vanish from the galaxy, but also made certain that they never grew beyond their means. He established a rigid code by which there could only be a single Sith Lord and a single Sith apprentice. When the Lord finally expired, his current apprentice was promoted and allowed to take his own student. This pairing continued for the next several centuries until Darth Sidious rose to power as the Sith Lord

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:23:58 PM
So they basically adopted some of old Sith's ways and studied it for their own reasons, but they're not exactly Sith themselves. According to Nupraptor's idea on it, the ones you're speaking of would be considered Dark Jedi. Which is what Palpatine and Count Dooku were.

Gurney Devries
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:31:23 PM
If they believe in the religion, then they would be Sith, by the earlier definiton. It mostly seems to be a matter of beliefs, not bloodline.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:36:08 PM
They're adopting the religion/ideas, the original Sith were their own race and Empire, which are extinct.

Nupraptor
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:50:23 PM
Well, there's definitely a difference between the original Sith and what we consider the Sith around the time of the movies. The original Sith were a race, whereas the ones in the movies are more of an order. My distinction was referring to the Order.

My own personal definition (which I'm not claiming is entirely correct, only what makes sense to me) had to do with whether or not your believe in the Sith Religion and follow its practices, as the original Dark Jedi wound up doing.

Sidious had definitely wound up doing some extensive research into the original Sith scriptures. And yes, I think that anyone who proclaims themselves a Dark Lord of the Sith is indeed a Sith: If you didn't believe in the religion, you wouldn't care about the titles. That would be like a Buddhist going around claiming he was the Pope.

A good example of a Dark Jedi would be Joruus C'Baoth. He was definitely a weilder of the Dark Side: The man could even toss around lightning, just like Palpatine. But he had absolutely no knowledge of the Sith ways. And he believed that he was dealing out justice and order for the people of Wayland, not causing random terror and suffering. Even though he did, ultimately, do just that.