PDA

View Full Version : Heads up

TheHolo.Net
Oct 11th, 2002, 04:21:03 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed or said anything yet, but recently I decided to do a check on how many database queries our main index page was generating in an effort to try and keep things running as well as possible. In doing so I found well over 200 queries were being done in the later hours of the day just for the main index. A little further investigation revealed to me that the bulk of those queries were being caused by the "Who Was Online Today" display of the number of visitors to the forum today. That being the case I have revoved that number from the index and our query count for the main index is down to 28. The hack was performing a single query for each member that had visited in the nuber it was displaying.

The Who was Online Today page itself does not hit the database in the same way so I have left it in operation and left the link to it on the index.

So if someone asks why the number is no longer on the mainpage say it was in the intrest of optimizing our forums to run better that it was purposefully removed.

:)

Nupraptor
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:27:32 PM
Ah, cool. That's a good idea. Thank you, oh great web monkey.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:30:10 PM
Most welcome. I already see better performance in the main index load times as a result.

Oh yeah Nup, if you are logged in as your Admin account, you will see some nifty stats in the footer of the AOTC - Geonosis style that help glean such issues. :)

Nupraptor
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:31:32 PM
Oh definitely kick butt! I like that a lot.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:33:12 PM
Page generation time is pretty cool to see. :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 12th, 2002, 10:31:21 AM
Huzzah! Optimising the code means even faster loading forum for us. You are quite a l33t d3wd at hacking vB, Ogre ;):D