PDA

View Full Version : Seeing is Believing...

Dylan Sparse
Oct 10th, 2002, 04:19:30 PM
"Are you sure you don't want us to come in with you?"

"Yes Mother, I'm sure. I'll be fine, stop worrying."

"You're sure? Do you have your things?"

"Yes Mother... I had my things five minutes ago, I'll have them five from now."

"And you packed everything? Shirts, pants, clean underwe--"

"Mother!"

The younger of the two speakers, a boy of sixteen, blushed a deep crimson. His mother, and elderly looking woman, in her sixties at least, seemed not to notice her sons embarressment. Luckily for the young man, his father understood.

"Dad... A little help? Please?"

Chuckling, Earl Sparse steered his wife away, giving Dylan a pat on the shoulder.

"Come Adeline, let's see about getting a cup of tea. You know it settles your nerves."

Sighing in relief Sylan very slowly walked into the Jedi Recruitment Center. He calculated each step carefully before taking it.

Dylan Sparse wasn't anything special. Of average height, auburn hair cut short, fair skin, a narrow face. He wore dark glasses covering his eyes and a simple navy shirt, advertising a band in bright yellow letters. Tailored jeans and runners finished off his outfit. He was by no means "buff" but Dylan was slim, a swimmers build.

And now he found himself here, of all places. Uncertain of what he was to do, he stood in silence for a moment straining to hear around him. Echoes... Something being dropped to his left... And footsteps, growing louder.

Dylan adjusted his bag to the other shoulder and gripped a book that had been unable to fit, in his hand.

"Hello?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 10th, 2002, 05:46:44 PM
"Hello there," a voice replied from across the room, "Sorry, didn't mean to sneak up on you like that."

Sejah stepped out into the light, his tail sweeping behind him lazily. "You new here, kid? Looks like it; still got your bags packed," the mongoose went on to say. "Name's Sejah, what's yours? And what brings you here? Well, other than the cafeteria food, that is." He chuckled. Sejah often thought that new recruits were greeted a bit too asturely, and he finally saw a chance to greet one himself. If the boy was anything like himself when he first arrived,a friendly face and easy-going attitude would help to calm his nerves.

Dylan Sparse
Oct 10th, 2002, 06:42:00 PM
Dylan turned his head in the direction of the voice and grinned. This Sejah certainly sounded friendly. The thing was, Dylan could not see what the owner of the voice looked like. He couldn't see what Sejah was doing, couldn't even tell exactly where he was standing. Indeed, Dylan wasn't even sure what the building he had been standing in looked like. He was blind.

"Sejah is it? I'm Dylan, Dylan Sparse. Well, the food was one of the biggest reasons of my coming here, but the Jedi part had a little something to do with it too."

Dylan removed his glasses, revealing the sightless blue eyes. He smiled and held a hand out, aimed to where Sejah's voice had come from.

"It's nice to meet you."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 10th, 2002, 08:03:51 PM
Blind. No wonder he hadn't looked startled when he had looked upon him, Sejah thought. But the physical ailment troubled him little, after all, he did know of another blind Jedi.

With a good grip, Sejah placed his furred paw into Dylan's grasp and shook it. "Good to meet you, Dylan," the Nehantite replied. "Yes, that's fur. I'm a Nehantite, look like a big ol' mongoose, welcome to the Jedi Order. Come on, let's have a seat; it might be a while before the real welcome wagon gets here."

Sejah was careful not to ask if Dylan needed a hand, or to insult him by directing him fully, but only helping when he thought it was necessarry. Pride was a powerful thing, and he didn't want to insult Dylan's. When they had finally sat down, Sejah held his paws in his lap, even though Dylan couldn't see the polite gesture. "So, you've got a good sense of humor. That's something I often find lacking around here, myself. I'm not the official welcoming comittee, I'm only a Padawan learner myself, but, we might as well kill time before a Knight shows up. So, tell me a bit about yourself, why you want to be a Jedi?"

Dylan Sparse
Oct 10th, 2002, 08:46:37 PM
Dylan chuckled again.

"Well I'm sure you're a good lookin' guy but I'm afraid I don't know what a Nehantite or a mongoose look like. I've been blind for as long as I can remember Sejah; Don't have any clue about a lot of things, color even."

It took him a moment to sit. It was always a bit unnerving in new places where the layout was different. He had always relied on the familiarity of where things were placed at home to maneuver. He was grateful for the tactful help of Sejah. Far too many treated him like he was fragile while others alienated him completly. Setting his bag on the floor and his book on his lap, Dylan supressed a yawn and absently trailed his fingers on the surface of the seat, getting a rough idea of what it might look like.

"Well, I'm a pretty basic guy. Lived here my whole life with my mom and dad. My dad ships droid parts all over so I've travelled a bit, nothing too exciting though. My parents were worried that I might get hurt or something... I'm their only child and I was adopted when they were fairly old so I try to understand."

He shook his head, fondly remembering random things.

"It took me a while to convince them to let me come here. You see Sejah, I don't know what anything looks like. So I've gotten to know the world in a totally different way. I can't see when something horrible happens. It's a blessing in it's own way I suppose. But I hear things, feel them... And I figure if maybe I can make it a little easier for people who can see what trash goes on, they might be happier. And I've always liked being the hero."

Dylan grinned and scratched the back of his neck. All the time he had been speaking, Dylan's gaze was kept forward. It was easier than guessing where someones eyes were and it was often less uncomfortable for them.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 10th, 2002, 09:00:30 PM
Dylan's story was like something out of a television movie, Sejah thought. The kind of life you only see in re-creation, not the real world. With a casual grin, the mongoose said, "I think a lot of us like being the hero, Dylan. Sounds like you've got a good heart in there, pal; lot of kids your age I meet nowadays are always a bit bitter, or selfish. You put your will to it, I think you'll make a good Jedi."

Leaning back in his chair, Sejah remembered something again. "You said you've never been able to see. What would you say if I told you there was another man--blind such as yourself-here at this order who can see things through the Force? If you are willing to commit your future to the Jedi, I'm pretty sure I could track him down for you."

It was a baited offer, one he almost knew Dylan would jump at the chance to take. But, it was still not up to Sejah to allow Dylan into the Jedi order, that would be the choice of a Knight.

Dylan Sparse
Oct 11th, 2002, 10:08:58 AM
Dylans eyebrows rose in surprise. His was an odd expression for his eyes never changed, only his features gave indication to the young mans present emotion.

"He can see? Really see?"

Dylan sighed and shook his head.

"I'm sorry Sejah, it's not that I don't believe you it's just hard for me to understand... Like telling a dog that the labrador down the street saw a rainbow or trying to explain what yellow looks like to someone who's lived in the dark all their lives... To me, being able to see is just like that canine rainbow. It's only a story. Am I making any sense or have I gone off the deep end? I tend to do that from time to time."

Before Sejah could answer, Dylan continued.

"I would be enthralled to meet him of course... If I am able to join here I'd very much appreciate it if you could arrange it."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 11th, 2002, 09:42:46 PM
Dylan also had a good head about him, in addition to his sense of humor. If he could handle it, he would make a good Jedi, or at least Sejah thought so.

"Dylan, even if you don't join, I'll make sure you meet him. His name's Kack Mebuff, and I'll wager he'll want to meet you, too," he said. "But, you've got to realize what you're getting into. I don't know what you've heard about the Jedi, but, odds are it's mainly the same legends I heard. Stories of bravery, good beating evil, and battles with lightsabers. It is all those things, Dylan, and a lot more."

Sejah's tone became more somber and serious as he went on to explain, "I'm not a Knight, but I'll tell you what I do know. Once you say you want to be a Jedi, the life you had before won't be one you can return to. It's a hard choice, I know, but, the results can be worth it. You'll learn marvelous things, and eventually be able to help others, and make some good friends along the way. But, in return, you will also make some enemies, whether you want to or not. There are those who use the Force to their own benefit, and they are known as the Sith. Many of them would love nothing more than to see a guy like you crushed, and some will do so if they got the chance. Being a Jedi isn't easy, but, if you can do it, someday those legends you heard might be about you."

Clearing hsi throat, Sejah let a pause pass, then asked, "So, Dylan, what made you choose this place? Why do you want to be a Jedi?"

Dylan Sparse
Oct 12th, 2002, 06:17:23 PM
He was silent for a moment, absorbing all that he had been told.

"You're right about the legends... I've heard them. I was like most of the kids in my neighborhood, pretending to be a Jedi, saving the world before dinner. I never really thought I'd ever pursue it. If I wasn't blind, maybe I wouldn't have, who's to say? But everyone needs a hand sometime, I know that well enough. If I can give it to them it might make life seem easier... Isn't that what people want? For life to be easier?"

Dylan set his book beside him so he didn't have to worry about it falling to the floor while they talked.

"I know it won't be easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. As for the Sith... If they want to try and stop me they can. There's always going to be people wanting to stop you, I've learnt that the hard way. Not everybody is kind to people like me Sejah, I've had to work hard at everything I do... Everything others take for granted is a challenge for me. I've never met someone as bad as a Sith mind you but if facing them is part of becoming a Jedi than I'm more than willing to do it."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2002, 02:32:50 PM
His voice turned very serious, Sejah asked next, "Are you willing to die?"

Dylan Sparse
Oct 15th, 2002, 05:23:06 PM
The question caught him off gaurd and Dylan, rather than answer right away, took a moment to really think about it. He was very serious when it came to major decisions and when he made them he was commited. To train as a Jedi was a choice that would shape the rest of his life, not a descision to be taken lightly. Slowly Dylan nodded. He himself was a tad surprised with his answer, for it was one of those rare moments when one finds out something about themselves they had only previously suspected.

"Yes. If it were for a cause I believed in."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2002, 08:27:58 PM
Though he couldn't see it, Sejah nodded slowly, letting a pause pass. "Interesting, but, what if it were for only a small thing, for only one person, perhaps? If you knew that your family would miss you, and that you would be missing out on many splendid things, would you still make that choice? Think it over, Dylan, this is a more complicated question than it seems."

Dylan Sparse
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:03:49 PM
Dylan spoke softly, slowly.

"Just because something is small or individual, doesn't mean that it is any less important. So yes, I would. Sometimes we must do things that benefit others and assist in the bigger picture. I'm only one person but if I can help another by sacrificing my life then I've given them something I could not have any other way. Yes, I believe saving a life is worth mine."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:22:58 PM
"Good," Sejah replied, letting a pause pass after saying it. "Because in becoming a Jedi, you have to let your past go as if you had died. This is a comittment for life, Dylan, there is no turning back once you've started, and no quitting, either. To join is to let yourself die so that you can be reborn as something greater."

"I don't mean to scare you off, but, the best anaogy I can make is learning to read. Once you know how, you can't be ignorant of words anymore."

Though he couldn't see anybody else in the room, Sejah suddenly got the distinct impression that they were not alone anymore.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:15:58 PM
And indeed, Sejah's senses were right.

Salemn had passed by when she heard Sejah greeting Dylan when she heard them discussing "sight". Pausing, she looked in their direction, listening to their conversation. Dylan was blind - like Chance and Kack. She, herself, was a Mute, but that hadn't hindered her into becoming a Jedi Knight. Instead, it had made her grown stronger from using the Force constantly to "speak" into other people's minds.

Sejah's questions had been to the point with honesty - and Dylan's responses were well-worded and sincere.

< Sejah is correct - you must learn to let go of your past and mold your new future. >

The voice was soft as the two could hear it in their minds, and she stepped out from the shadows which concealed her petite form. As always, she wore the traditional brown robes of the Jedi and lowered the hood, revealing tousled blond hair and gentle, brown eyes.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:16:21 AM
Sejah and Salemn didn't know each other well, and that allowed for a mistake neither of them were to blame for. As the Knight spoke into Sejah' mind, it was as if he had been hit in the brain with a brick, and then had his eardrums blown in by a bullhorn. His kind were unable to recieve, or send telepathic messages.

Grunting from the pain, Sejah clutched his skull with his paws and waited for it to pass, then spoke in a quiet voice, "Salemn, please, don't do that again. I know you didn't remember, but, I can't recieve telepathy; it hurts. If you must speak to me, it will ahve to be through Dylan. I'm sorry. But it is good to see you. Dylan here wishes to join the order, but, it is not up to me to accept him."

Salemn Lysce
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:24:29 AM
Because she was so in tune with the Force, she could feel Sejah's pain and grimaced, gritting her teeth together. The two had never met - just passed by each other occassionally - and she hadn't known that he couldn't receive telepathic messages. This would make another person she couldn't 'speak' to, along with Diego Van Derveld.

Not wishing to drag Dylan into the issue she caused, though, Salemn just hoped she looked apologetic enough for Sejah to know she was truly sorry. There were so many things she didn't know about her fellow Jedi - and this only proved her point further. She was just grateful that the mistake wasn't absolutely devastating..

Dylan Sparse
Oct 19th, 2002, 03:30:15 PM
Before he could answer Sejah, a voice interupted. For a moment Dylan was surprised that he had heard it, not aloud, but in his mind. He had heard that the Jedi were able to communicate telepathically but the detail had gone unremembered until now.

The voice was soft, female. Dylan listened as Sejah explained to the woman, Salemn he called her, about his inabilaty to recieve Force messages. WHen he had done explaining Dylan nodded.

"I am willing to do what it takes ma'am. Sejah has been giving me a rough idea of what it involves. But he can't scare me off that easily."

A small smile appeared on the young mans face.

Salemn Lysce
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:11:06 AM
Directing her Force messages only to Dylan now, she surpressed a laugh at what he said.

< Like Sejah explained, the life of a Jedi isn't all what it's cracked up to be. It can be extremely difficult and trying at times, and that's when you'll have to stand your ground. Not only do we have the Sith to look out for, but also the Dark Jedi. We have non-Force users that rally against us, and even civilians dislike us just for what we stand for. Can you handle this burden ? >

Dylan Sparse
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:18:32 PM
"Yes ma'am. I'll give all I got. I've thought long and hard about it, believe me. It took me time to decide whether I should come or not because I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish. I'm ready and willing to face whatever it takes."

Dylan was solemn, and his youthful face was a sharp contrast to the maturity he felt within. But perhaps it was better that way, for he had not yet learned to conceal his emotions well. It was easy for even a complete stranger to tell he was speaking earnestly, honestly.

OOC: Sorry about this crap post, been a rough couple of days, thoughts are kind of jumbled:(