PDA

View Full Version : Metal swords (open, not a fight)

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:20:22 PM
The Jackel stood in a calm forest clearing, his shirt hanging on a nearby tree branch. The sun was getting low, and it was hot out. Sweat traced the lacerations on his torso and followed the contours of his muscles. He'd been practicing for hours on his swordsmanship, using a little tool he dubbed "the bludgeon katana". The bludgeon katana was a piece of metal pipe with a large chunk of durracrete stuck to one end, making it considerably heavier than the rusted blade he used. Tape wrapped around the other end, approximating a handle. He stood in a low stance, feet parallel pointed straight ahead, keeping his center of gravity balanced. Quickly he shuffled forward and swung the bludgeon katana down in a switft stroke, squeezing off the blow's momentum.

"Next!"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:27:39 PM
Clap. Clap. Clap. Clap.

A slow, lonely round of applause sounded from the East, and Sejah stepped forward, his leather-gloved paws clapping into each other with a dull thwap.

"Interesting, I haven't seen someone practice with a pole-hammer in a while. I'll admit I wasn't ever much good at it." He said, a slight smile on his face. He didn't want a fight, in fact, his intentions were quite the contrary. Tehre wee few he had seen that practiced with traditional weapons, and having nearly grown up in a fencing school, he had a great love for swordsmanship. It was nearly all he could do.

Approaching Inu-Aku, the mongoose looked over the weapon and chuckled, "If nothing else, it's creative. Name's Sejah, what's yours?"

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:30:26 PM
He didn't feel like offering Sejah the usual two choices.

"Inu seems to be the name I've picked up around here."

He wiped the sweat from his brow and stepped back, resuming his stance.

"This exercise was one of the better ones, I think. It teaches control."

He struck, stopping the blow short, feeling the tug of fatigue at his arms.

"Next!"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:38:38 PM
Another smile broke Sejah's muzzle as Inu-Aku pulled off his next strike. "No offense, but, you remind me of a student I once had."

He had actually come out the the wooded area to practice his own swordsmanship, a large tournament would call him away in a few days, and he wished to get in as much practice as he could. From his left hip hung a tulwar scimitar, almost like a saber in its design. "You have good control, but, a good exercise with that thing is grace. I know you probably have heard this before, but, try pullign off a series of moves with that thing without stopping it."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:42:01 PM
"None taken. A series, you say?"

He stepped back away from Sejah, to keep the mongoose clear of the weapon. He struck as he had before, stopped it, and swung horizontally. The swing stopped slowly, not as controlled as the vertical strike. He stood back and dropped the practice weapon, rolling out his sore and tired arms.

"...next..."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:43:58 PM
An approving nod came from Sejah, and he stepped forward as the other man set down his weapon. "Lookign tired. Mind if I...?" he asked while reachign a paw out to take the handle of the discarded bludgeon katana.

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:45:08 PM
"'Feel free."

He sat up in the branches of the tree where his shirt hung.

"Let's see what you've got, Sejah."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:52:13 PM
Remembering to remove his tulwar and lightsaber form his belt, the mongoose tughtened the straps on his gloves and took the handle of the practice weapon in his paws. It was heavy, and awkward.

"Like I said, I never was too awful good with a pole-hammer, but, let's see if I can still do it," he said while bringing it upright and tepping back away from Inu-Aku.

"Sheeaaah!" he grunted while snapping a step out forward and launched his hips sideways to power his shoulders and swung the hammer out horizontally, then used the momentum--and a good amount of grip strength--to wheel it up and around to a high to low strike followed by another. Keepign his step in rythm, he grit his jaws and spun around to deliver another stroke into thin air, then cut loose another small roar and launched a fierce overhead blow that landed hard, denting the earth before him.

"W-hoo, thing's heaier than it looks," he looked back to Inu as he spoke, "Tried using somethign liek that to build strength for a while, but, never fully got the hang of it. How long you been practicing with it out here?"

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:24:14 PM
"I've been doing that particular exercise for about 2 or 3 hours. I've been praticing my swordsmanship since noon."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 05:01:06 PM
"Seems to be a popular spot, then," was Sejah's response as he picked up his saber and tlwar again. "Came out to practice myself."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 05:26:27 PM
"Its quiet and out of the way. An ideal spot for solo practice. It's perfect."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 05:54:25 PM
"I'm out of practice from what I used to be. Used to be a teacher, Rho'istaan incoperated styles." Sejah replied drawing his edgeless sword. He had two that were identical, but one actually had a live edge. Live edges were not allowed in competition, so he had a dull counterpart to his other one. It ws that which he carried with him.

Laying his scabbard and lightsaber back down, the mongoose stood up straight and then adopted a defensive stance. "Rho'istaan is not one style, but a compliation of many," he started, then launchign into a rapid series of strokes, slashes, and blocks at the air, "It took nearly a thousand years of tournaments, one every twenty-seven years," a backspin and a low to high slash interrupted him, "The panel would record moves of the winners, and would work them all into one style. The master style." Dropping to one knee, he thrust out his sword, then scooted forward and lashed out with a stroke that would have taken off an enemy's sword hand. "There are few masters of it, I only made it to First Apprentice."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 05:58:37 PM
Inu watched Sejah, impressed with the mongoose's skill.

"I wasn't taught an actual style. Just a few swordfighting basics. Such as no followthrough. If you follow through with an attack and your sword gets stuck in your enemy, his friend can come up and kill you while you're still pulling your sword out. But by stopping the blow, you can kill him and then go find another enemy, hence 'Next!' like I was doing before."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 06:23:09 PM
"And I learned that there is always follow-through. It increases strike power, speed, and also makes you think in advance." Sejah replied.

"For instance, say there were three attackers around me, two to the front, and one back that way, sligtly to my left." he pointed with hsi sword to indicate. "Now, he attacks first," pointing to the one before him to his right. "I block his attack, and roll my soulder into his chest, shoving him into his partner like so," the mongoose played out the action, then turned to face his invisible opponents. "Not they're all on one side. The far away one is comign in, but while he does so, I parry with his friends, and take this one through the throat after removing his paw. With that downstroke, I force the next one's blade out of the way and deliver a slash to the chest because I miss a lethal bow.

"Anyway, the third is now almost atop me, and so I lift my blade to block his, and in the return, I take the injured one through the neck as well, and invert that sweep to sever my last opponent's intestines. By stoppign each stroke, you have to take time to start again, and so you are slower, and do not carry momentum. Think a few steps ahead, and you can blend from one to the next." Sejah explained.

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 06:29:49 PM
Inu considered.

"I've never fought more than one opponent at once. And if there were multiples, they never attacked fast enough."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:03:39 PM
Lowering his blade, Sejah looked up into the tree where Inu sat. "It doesn't matter how many opponents you have, you simply have to think ahead, find a weakness, and exploit it." He said. "But, your strenght and ability to control that thing like you did is pretty formaiddable."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:10:10 PM
"Thanks, I guess."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:20:31 PM
Nodding politely, Sejah stepped back into his practice, but managed to talk while doing so.

While her performed a series of parries and blocks, he asked, "I ahve not seen a species such as yours before. Would you mind if I ask what you are?"

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:22:56 PM
"I was human. My genes, combined with those of a wild dog, created the form you see before you."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:26:23 PM
Sejah nearly fumbled his grasp on his sword, and had to stop. Looking back up into the tree, he questioned, "Genetically produced? Did you want to look like that or-," he suddely realized that Inu might not wish to speak about it, and he calmed down. "Sorry, nevermind."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:33:41 PM
"It's fine. And no, I did not want this done to me. But the pros of having this forced upon me are an even match for the cons."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:55:03 PM
A morbid curiosity was called up in sejah, but, he decided to be polite and not pry. If Inu wished to have his secrets, he would let him.

"Well, I hope you have found a way to live with it. And at least you aren't covered in fur," the mongoose joked. "Drying off after a shower or bath is a pain."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:05:28 PM
"You mean you don't just shake yourself out?" he asked jokingly.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:05:10 PM
Zipping a quick L through the air with his balde, Sejah skirked and replied matter-of-factly, "That requires a looser skin than I posess. A ripple effect is caused in the shaking. I can do it no more so than you can."

The sword zipped again, wheelign up, then down as if he were swatting at an incredibly polite fly. "But seriously, no."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:07:46 PM
"Heh. I didn't think so."

He fell silent, watching Sejah practice.

"How many years did you say you've been swordfighting?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:39:19 PM
"Fencing," Sejah corrected him. "I've only been in an actual swordfight a few times, and only twice with a live blade. Don't know how many fencing matches I've been in, though."

Taking a rest, he looked over his blade and answered Inu's question, "I'd say thirteen years. Was taken in when I was nearly thirteen, and I'm almost twenty-six now. Been First Apprentice for ten years. Or at least I ws before I came here. Tought a class four days a week, two on saturdays."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:40:58 PM
"Impressive, Sejah. I myself have been fighting for a little over a year. Judging from your performance, it seems I have much to learn."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:46:00 PM
"Fighting isn't the same as the martial arts or fencing. I fighting, you want to hurt your opponet. I would rather defeat them, be it in thechnical skill or embarassment." Sejah said, "But, if you are willing to listen and can be well disciplined, you can learn quickly."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:49:06 PM
Willing to listen and be disciplined. There were two qualities that many felt he needed work on. So why not improve both of them and his skill at the same time?

"Sure. Care to teach me?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:51:57 PM
"I have only one sword at the moment, I'm afraid," Sejah apologized, "Unless you would use sticks, I think we are at a slight impass."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:56:18 PM
The Jackel fell from the tree and landed on his feet, taking his rusted katana from where he had left it and unsheathed it.

"Will this do?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:00:43 PM
Sejah nearly cringed at the sight of the corroded blade. "Ye-, yes, that will do. But, you should really learn to take better care of it. Metal that high in carbon can't stand bing in that condition for long. I suggest you take it to a sword polisher after this."

Standing in an openign stance with his tulwar pointing out to the side form his waist, Sejah instructed. "Okay, be careful if that is a live edge, mine is not. Now, come at me and try to strike me. I need to guage your skill before I can see what to teach."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:05:12 PM
Inu's eyes narrowed and he took his stance from before.

"It was given to me in this condition. I have not been taught to care for it. And yes, it is a live edge."

He shuffled forward and rotated his arms, bringing the rusted blade up in a diagonal strike.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:18:26 PM
Sejah loved fighting agaisnt two-handed blades; especially curved ones.

With seasoned grace he turned and thrust out and down with his tulwar, getting it under Inu-Aku's blade edge and yanked up, using the curve of his own blade as a hook to pull the swing up and away over his head. And, feelign a bit playful, he lifted his left leg and thumped a light kick into Inu's back before then placing that footpaw on the jackel's hip and shoving away, falling back to a normal stance again himself.

"First lesson, watch your opponet. You should ahve looked at my stance and seen what attack you should have used against it. Try again, let's see if you can do better."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:24:34 PM
Inu staggered, the kick throwing him slightly off balance.

"What attack to use?" he repeated, frustration edging his voice.

He settled down and studied Sejah's stance. The tulwar pointed off to Inu's left, so...he came in with a horizontal strike from Sejah's left.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:31:57 PM
Just like a student. They hear one thing, and do another.

Shifting his weight onto his right footpaw, he spun on it and wheeled around to block Inu's horizontal strike with his tulwar held point-down. The metal clashed, but Sejah pushed out and down with the hilt of his sword, pulling Inu along and driving his strike into the ground. Quickly pulling his tulwar back, he whipped it around and dealt a smarting thwack to his opponent's rump with the flat of his thin blade.

"I said look at my stance and attack accordingly," he chided, "Not plow the dirt and get a spanking."

Inu
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:40:08 PM
Inu drew his sword from the ground, supressing his frustration. He'd attacked from both sides, what now? A stab? Undoubtedly he'd be made a fool of again. He stood still, watching Sejah, studying the stance. He could see no flaws, no openings. But nothing was perfect!

"I don't see it...."

He lunged and stabbed at Sejah.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:49:34 PM
The balde was turned away with a sideways sweep and Sejah stepped in, butting against his chest with his own and grabbed Inu's jaw with his free paw. Holding him there, he spoke calmly.

"Don't get mad. You get mad, you make mistakes. That lunge was a mistake. Now think, have I move more than a pivot or one step this whole time? No, you have, though. You should have looked at my stance, I was ready for a hard blow. You know why? Because you think that sword of yours is only good for slashing with. That lunge of yours was not polished, you don't do it often. Now, think about that and try again."

Letting go of his jaw, Sejah stepped back and resumed his stance again.

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 11:25:11 AM
The Jackel glared, trying to calm himself. He dropped his stance, Sejah wouldn't be attacking him anytime soon. He watched Sejah's stance again, trying to think.

"Shouldn't you teach him strategy?" "Strategy? No. I don't need strategists. All I need are bloodthirtsty berserkers. Strength will do well enough for this one."

"Oh shut up, old man..." he muttered to himself.

He would figure this out, if it took him days he would figure this out. Sejah hadn't moved, he was expecting a hard attack. So what to do then? A swift attack? He had speed, but Sejah was faster still. Maybe an attack without the sword? But that defeated the purpose of the exercise, which was to learn to use the sword. He sighed again.

"Focus, you idiot..." he thought to himself.

Sejah hadn't moved. He'd turned all the momentum from his attacks back at Inu. So therefore, an attack that carried less momentum. He stepped forward and delivered the same, controlled downward stroke he had used with the hammer-pole.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 02:35:41 PM
Inu was learning, if only slowly. The change of tactic was what he needed, but still, he couldn't see what he really needed to do.
The purpose of the excercise was not, in fact, how to use the sword, but instead how to fight with one. There was a difference.

One hand on the long handle acted as a fulcrum point as the other yanked back , chopping down with the blade with greater leverage than most swords could attain. So, it was not up to Sejah to block it fully, but to deflect it. Shooting his arm up, he met Inu's sword with his own, then pushed sideways and used the bit of momentum it had to sweep it to the ground again, though using his own strength to keep it going after Inu had decided to stop it.

Holding it down, he snatched out with his free paw again and snagged a painful hold on one of his opponent's ears. "You aren't hearing what I'm saying. Now, tell me, just what exactly are you trying to hit with this sword of yours?" Sejah asked, still holding him there.

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:08:26 PM
"You, dammit all! You're too skilled, and skill defeats strength every time they clash. Now, are you satisfied with making a mockery of me?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:14:36 PM
Sejah tweaked his ear harder and growled in his face. "Answer my question! What were you trying to hit with your sword?"

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:21:50 PM
"YOU!" He shouted, throwing Sejah off with a burst of anger.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:30:39 PM
Releasing him, Sejah stepped back and calmly asked, "And what have you hit instead every time?"

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:46:30 PM
"Nothing."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:52:24 PM
Shaking his head, Sejah suddenly lashed out with his tulwar and smacked it against Inu's katana with a lough clang and shouted, "Wrong! You've been hitting this! My sword!"

Pulling it back, he sighed and said, "Perhaps you've been going at the wrong target, it seems."

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:32:46 PM
"Do you mean to tell me I should strike at your sword?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:36:42 PM
"I mean to tell you nothing. To tell is not the same as to teach. But, yes. In going after me, I only had to protect myself, and so I used my sword to do so. Perhaps if you had tried to parry a bit, you would ahve found a hole to go after. As I said, look at my stance and attack accordingly. I could block from any direction like I was, so, you have to make me move. It's the follow through, not the strike, that wins a match." He explained with a slim smile.

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:40:21 PM
"All that just to prove your point about follow through? And what is there to parry? In your stance..."

He assumed the stance Sejah had taken.

"...your sword is pointed out to your side. I cannot parry it unless you attack with it or I move around to your side. You will move to face me if I do."

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:50:42 PM
"You're learning, and yet still not even getting close." Sejah replied. "Okay, if you want to hit me, but know you can't directly do it, you have to parry until you can, right? Right. So, how do you get me to parry? You have to come at me as if to injusr me, not kill me. Keep your distance, and we will have a sword's length in which to fight. Have you ever seen a fencing match? When the two fencters fight, they ae often not close enough to hit each other, but are close enough to do battle. Now, it is up to you to figure out that range, and keep it until you see an opening."

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:54:24 PM
"Very well. And no, I have never seen a fencing match."

He took his other stance, shuffling forward, determination in his eyes. He would learn this. Inu struck with a fast strike, aimed as Sejah's sword arm. As the mongoose had said, not a killing blow, and not close enough to hit him, but be a threat.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 9th, 2002, 08:02:12 PM
Though he could have manipulated that strike to his own advantage more, Sejah simply lashed out with his own blade and struck it aside, then wheeled his tulwar back around to go in for a strike of his own to see how Inu would handle it.

Inu
Oct 9th, 2002, 08:16:27 PM
He flexed his wrist and hit Sejah's sword aside, then sidestepped and went for another strike at the mongoose's shoulder.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 10th, 2002, 04:07:39 PM
Finally, Inu was beginning to get it.

Stepping back, Sejah was barely able to get his blade in the way again, and cotinued to parry with his opponent. Finally, after nearly a minute, he decided to test Inu again, and left his side open for atack. If he saw it, the testwould be how to attack, but, first he would have to see it.

Inu
Oct 10th, 2002, 04:17:07 PM
Inu backed up, tired from all his earlier practice. His arms were screaming, the hammer-pole exercise had been tough on him. He shut one eye against the sweat that ran down his forehead, and watched Sejah. What folly was this? He was letting his guard down? He struck with an underhanded cut.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 10th, 2002, 06:31:01 PM
Had it been a real fight, Inu would have just lost his left arm.

As the Jackel had been coming in for his strike, Sejah wheeled his sword around and then slammed it, blunt-edge-first, into Inu's bicep. effectively giving him an arm charley-horse, and also blocking his attack.

Winding down, the mongoose explained, "I know this is tough, but, you need to be able to also think about how your moves can be blocked as you are doing them."

Inu
Oct 10th, 2002, 09:52:13 PM
Inu dropped his katana, rubbing the feeling back into it.

"Take my arm off, jeez..."

But the anger was gone. He was learning, which was good. And Sejah hadn't humiliated him that time.

"Consider how my attack might be blocked as I do them," he repeated. "And how do I focus on the present and future at the same time without sacrificing focus on one or the other?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 11th, 2002, 12:21:41 AM
"Now you're learning," Sejah nodded. "And after you learn that, learn where I'll be aming at, and the two places you should stop me from doing so at and two places each you can hit me before that. Nobody ever said this is going to be easy. Thank your lucky stars you're not trying to be a Death-Shadow."

Inu
Oct 14th, 2002, 10:24:03 AM
"Death-Shadow...?"

But he was considering Sejah's advice.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:05:47 PM
"Death-Shadow; a position of honor and secrecy where I come from. I do not fancy meeting them, and would like less to fight one. That is all you need to know." Sejah replied, then looked at the bruise forming on Inu's arm.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have hit you so hard; is your arm okay?"

Inu
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:08:20 PM
"I've had worse...it'll pass. Shall we continue?"

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:36:55 PM
"Are you up for it? You're tired. Your muscles won't be able to remember motions you teach them now. Are you sure you wish to continue?" Sejah asked.

Inu
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:40:18 PM
Inu sighed. As much as he'd like to keep on, he'd been there since noon.

"I guess I should stop. I've been at it 8 hours straight."