PDA

View Full Version : SWFans.net Moderator accounts

Nupraptor
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:12:22 PM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23405 << Please have a look through this thread - particularly Eve's post and the replies following it.

I think this is a very good idea, and I would like to implement it here. However, for it to be effective, it would have to be something which every member of the staff would have to agree to.

We each would have accounts, labelled something like "SWFans.net Moderator 01" or "SWFans.net Staff Member 01". You would then use this account specifically for making official posts and performing moderating duties. You must be entirely serious and professional with this account: No using it to fling insults at the posters or otherwise hide your identity for immoral reasons.

I think that it would be a very good idea and would make things run a little more smoothly here. Again, please have a look over the thread linked at the top for full details.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:15:27 PM
I'm good with it. :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:17:07 PM
:thumbup

Nupraptor
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:30:05 PM
Note: The Box Office Mods would not necessarily have to adopt this naming method, unless they wish to. Instead, they could just be renamed to "Box Office Moderator", to avoid confusion.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:32:26 PM
Yeah, we should probably just consider making a new user group or two for this.

Nupraptor
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:36:37 PM
I'm going to make one account for myself, so I can play around with it a bit. If it's cool with you, .Net, I was going to use the same signature you have for that account.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:38:54 PM
Sounds like a plan, and no probs. Thanks for asking first. :)

SWFans.Net Staff [01]
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:45:31 PM
Have a look over the user group I added... make sure I didn't frell anything up. I purposefull disabled the ability to edit the profile, since there shouldn't be any need to, after the account has been created.

Edit ~ Hmm... it doesn't seem to associate it with the "Moderator" custom title by default.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:51:55 PM
It looks good to me, and the edit profile thing is a good enough idea. You or I can do any editing needed from the admin CP if this proceeds. Just be sure to test PM ability. we should probably also recommend that staffers not change the timezones on these accounts, We should probably set them all to eastern or something, that way people can’t see that info in posts and use it was means to figure out who it might be.

I will need to make some changes to the Forum Leaders templates so the accounts are listed as moderator accounts instead of administrators, but that shouldn’t be a big problem or take too long.

We should consider a standardized avatar they all share to keep it even less personal. Maybe my old Gyroscope looking one with the SWFans.Net text on it?

EDIT: The CT should be set automatically now.

SWFans.Net Staff [01]
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:53:59 PM
we should probably also recommend that staffers not change the timezones on these accounts, We should probably set them all to eastern or something, that way people can’t see that info in posts and use it was means to figure out who it might be. Yes, the thought had occured to me, as well. Likewise, all the accounts should have the Default style set in their CP. The person behind the account can always use the drop-down menu to discreetly change this to their preferance.
We should consider a standardized avatar they all share to keep it even less personal. Maybe my old Gyroscope looking one with the SWFans.Net text on it?That might work. I simply picked this one out because it looked like your's.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:03:10 AM
Yep, Default Style set in prefs is a good idea. :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:04:58 AM
Here is the avatar I had like that one which included text.

SWFans.Net Staff [01]
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:11:07 AM
Name isn't showing up in bold on the Who's Online... hmm...

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:14:17 AM
So, we have to switch accounts every time we moderate?

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:22:50 AM
Yes, I realize that it's a PITA. I think the benefits would outweigh the pain of account switching. But, that's why I'm asking: The idea is useless if it's not something we can all agree on.

SWFans.Net Staff [01]
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:37:25 AM
Posting with sig...

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:43:44 AM
Im just wondering if it would affect the moderating. With it at your fingertips, wouldnt it just be more efficient?

If everyone else says yes, I'll go with it though.

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:45:16 AM
ALso though, wouldnt it become obvious who is who very soon? No doubt someone would accidently keep their DOB in, and if someone asks a Mod specifically for help then a certain one appears. Wouldnt it only work fully short-term?

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:54:12 AM
Well, I disabled the ability to edit the profile, so they shouldn't be able to add their DOB. But that's a good point you bring up about the request for help.

Perhaps we can tell that the posters that they need to either post in the Communications forum when they need assistance, or directly PM one of the moderator accounts.

Our normal RPing accounts can be returned back to "Registered User" status so that people aren't constantly trying to contact Mods under those accounts (if that makes any sense). You'll still have access to this forum with your RP account, for convenience.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:20:33 AM
I like the idea, and I am going with whatever you guys say. However, what I had in mind was a different approach:

1 Roleplay Mod account: "Roleplay Staff
1 Box Office Mod account " Box Office Staff"

That way, whenever a mod log in to this account, he will instantly see if there are any PM's reporting a problem. The posters wont be able to figure out who is using the account either, as the only way to see that would be looking at the IP.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:37:31 AM
I think I would be alright with the single account too, except I do have some security concerns with shard PWs and the like. I’ve never been fond of having shared passwords when it comes to administrative type duties and it can lead to any number of problems.

As for removing the Mod ability from a person’s regular account, I’m not sure that that would actually be needed. There are mod duties that do not always require a post be made and it sure would be easier to not have to switch accounts. But when duties warrant the need to post an explanation or warning, the uniform can be put on.

That’s my take anyway.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:58:24 AM
Is this just for RP mods or for all of us? And if it's implemented, will there be a thread about how to use this account?

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:03:34 PM
I'm tending to agree with Ogre on this one. Can't we just use the Mod account for specific posting and if I am on, like now, cleaning up the RP and ST forums, use my nav or dale account for that. Mucho easier then I don't have to log out and then in to post.

And if you took away the mod ablities from the user name, doesn't that get confusing for the posters here? Sometimes they might want to talk to a specific mod for whatever reason

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:28:48 PM
Is this just for RP mods or for all of us? And if it's implemented, will there be a thread about how to use this account?
Originally posted by Nupraptor
Note: The Box Office Mods would not necessarily have to adopt this naming method, unless they wish to. Instead, they could just be renamed to "Box Office Moderator", to avoid confusion. And yes, I have to agree: It would be best to leave people's normal accounts with Mod powers.
Sometimes they might want to talk to a specific mod for whatever reasonThat's true. But like Reaperfett said: If, for example, someone talks to you about something, and then "SWFans.net Staff [03]" shows up to solve the problem, it could give it away.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:31:15 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
And yes, I have to agree: It would be best to leave people's normal accounts with Mod powers. That's true. But like Reaperfett said: If, for example, someone talks to you about something, and then "SWFans.net Staff [03]" shows up to solve the problem, it could give it away. In such cases as being come to indivudually, one would probably want to go ahead and deal with the situation with their normal account to avoid that, easy enough.

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 04:09:11 PM
Yeah, just thought of that. ^_^;

To alleviate account-switching some, you may want to look into having a second browser. It's what I do. For example: I'm currently logged in as Nupraptor on IE, and Gurney Devries on Mozilla. Not saying it's necessary, just that it may make your life easier.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 04:33:44 PM
I think it would be best for Nup and I to create the accounts and set their preferences and then distribute them randomly to the staff members in the RP section. The assignee could then change the PW and the account would be ready for use when needed, no further editing of profile or prefs needed. As Nup mentioned earlier and style set prefs could be switched via the drop down at the foot of the pages.

He and I also discussed and I think we agreed that the 01 account you seen being tested here would remain registered, but not be used so that no one would be considered the figurative #1 (top dog kinda thing).

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:03:48 PM
Something I would like to add after seeing some of the new comments in the group mod forum.

I don’t agree that a list of who’s who as far at the uniform accounts should be listed in the Group Mod forum, that defeats the purpose to a great extent, especially since this proposal is mainly for RP forum mods where they (group mods) have no “authority” anyhow. They should be in the same boat as the rest of the regular posters in the RP forum section, IMO, else they are being played to as favorites.

Although the smarter ones can use the IP lookup feature through the mod CP, but account rotation will eventually make that process difficult to work correctly since they can’t see the IPs in individual posts in forums they do not moderate.

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:50:16 PM
Agreed. A list can be posted in this forum, for our convenience.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:19:26 PM
It may not be a bad idea to pre-write scripted responses to as many situations as we can and have the mod accounts use those as often as possible in an effort to help avoid any being too harsh and keep them completely professional. It would also help avoid people being able to ID a mod by writing style.

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:35:49 PM
Yay! We're becoming automatons. ^_^;

That sounds a bit unnecessary, but it can't hurt.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:47:26 PM
Just trying to brainstorm (toss some ideas out at random)

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:54:32 PM
Yeah, I know. :) It's appreciated. I think that, as long as we try to be completely professional about our posts, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:00:38 PM
I think its a interesting idea and probably would work for the RP forums because that seems to be where most of the problems of this nature are. I am not sure if its neccessary in Box Office as, Jon is the biggest problem there and I don't think this would work with him, he would probably still act the same as always. Still, if the box office mods, me, CMJ and JMK all decided not to do it would that be a problem.

Nupraptor
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:47:50 PM
Shouldn't be a problem at all. We might change your Custom Title to read "Box Office Moderator", but no biggie.

ReaperFett
Oct 9th, 2002, 02:36:13 AM
One other worry I have, is that it would change the place. People arent being disciplined by a friendly face who they can chat to, they're talking to some emotionless name who is only there to edit and delete. It could technically change the entire environment of the place.

One of the big whines at TF.N is that the mods dont go to the normal poster level, they go higher. Not true IMO, but still a big argument. Now, if everyone then used anonamous names that just say MODERATOR.....you get my point.

Also, people might think we hide our names so to cover up any mistakes and the like.

Nupraptor
Oct 9th, 2002, 02:53:02 AM
Definitely being considered. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's a good idea or not. It has many valid points to its use, but almost as many reasons why not to do it.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 9th, 2002, 11:33:34 PM
Well, Fett's concerns would be good reason for having such account an option the mods had, not the "must use the account for moderating" kind of policy. The ability to edit/move/delete threads to posters convenience should not be hampered by a tedious log in/out routine. In most scenarios, using such account is really not neccessary either. However, when a controversial decision is seen by some posters as biased (when it is really not), such account suggests the image of a united policy, quenching potential flame wars before they start.

I would still rather preferred if it was a single account. Figuring out who is using the accounts would be really easy to figure out by looking at who is browsing the board. With the single account, you have the advantage of a PM inbox which works like a "to do" list for the moderator staff. When a poster has a problem, he/she knows a PM message can be sent to that name and expect a quick response.

Nupraptor
Oct 10th, 2002, 01:49:34 AM
Hmmm... that might be a good idea, too.