PDA

View Full Version : Who in their right mind.....

Riley Chambers
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:01:00 PM
Would buy their child a toy that makes as much noise as possible? I work as a cashier at Wal-Mart and I have seen parents buy their kids the most annoying contraptions on a daily basis. You know, Electronic Stretch Screamers, Blues Clue's DJ, one of those wind pipe toys that you spin and they shriek, air snares, and many more.

I don't know about you, but I think silent toys would be much less painful to buy for a kid. But these days it seems like everything talks, cries, pees it's pants, or screams. Whatever happened to a good old hula hoop or a toy car that didn't do anything?

AmazonBabe
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:38:04 PM
Good question...

Maybe it's a conspiracy by the toy manufacturers... :: shifty eyes :: o_O

Geist Laich
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:40:46 PM
THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!

*goes to buy a Nightcrawler action figure and a deck of Yu-Gi-Oh cards*

Riley Chambers
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:58:24 PM
It's a conspiracy alright. One that will never let parents get a good night's sleep until their kids outgrow toys and go into puberty. O_o

Imagine, sleeping peacefully one night and then, at 6 am, hearing the sounds of the talking SpongeBob Squarepants... over and over and over and over again.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:35:52 PM
Originally posted by Geist Laich
THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!

*goes to buy a Nightcrawler action figure and a deck of Yu-Gi-Oh crads*

I work at a WalMart Toy department and I have one question to ask....

What in Egypt is a Crad? Do I have to start directing people to where the Crads are now as well as the cards we never have in stock.

:p

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:02:08 PM
yep, hate those damn things...we "accidentally" broke the talking Sponge bob toy at my work......

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:03:54 AM
Trust me.....once the parents find out how annoying it is to listen to the same thing 30 times in a row, non-stop, the batteries will disappear....quickly!! ;)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:08:08 AM
what of the ones that don't have batteries? like the neighing Spirit horses......

Morrigan Van-Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:05:48 AM
Then the toy magically disappears.

One week during the summer, I was in Maryland, babysitting my youngest cousin. He loves movies. We constantly had a movie playing. In that one week, we watched Beauty and the Beast 4 times, the Lion King twice, every other Disney classic, and more VeggieTales episodes than I knew existed.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:08:15 AM
Wait till the big kids get toys.

Like cars.

They can burn down the backyard,

140 decibel grinders,

TIG welders

Gax axes.

engines.

Kids toys are nothing compared what the big boys get to play with :p

Ishan Shade
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:41:21 AM
Originally posted by Riley Chambers Whatever happened to a good old hula hoop or a toy car that didn't do anything?

I miss those days :)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:58:23 AM
I dont.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:13:12 AM
*smacks FMH* Thats because you're old and bitter already. :mischief

Riley Chambers
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:28:42 PM
Oh yeah... The big toys. My brother's paintball gun is especially annoying. He fires it off in the house to empty the air tank thing so he can take it off. Thats pretty damn loud in a small house like this.

Silus Xilarian
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:39:25 PM
what ever happened to legos....

and im not talking about the sissy legos that are meant to be put together to make a certain thing...

Im talking about the 5 gallon bucket full of legos that never had the last rectangle red piece to complete the base of the torture device for my GI Joe's and green army men......

*dies*

Riley Chambers
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:45:29 PM
I miss legos! LOL I used to make doll houses out of them. I even made toilets for the doll house too. Ahh... those were the days... and now I feel old. o_O

Geist Laich
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:50:02 PM
I remember LEGO!

Me and me bro would used to make a town and do a sorta Final Fantasy style story and have our LEGO men-characters save the town from destruction!

I miss doing that........

Silus Xilarian
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:50:04 PM
I tend to be a hopeless perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that.....

I remember digging and digging for a certain color piece (most of the time it was either red or blue)

Then i'd dump the whole bucket in the floor, abandoning my digging for the more effective "sifting" method.....When this failed I'd get mad and disassemble everything, only to see the piece I was looking for laying at the top of the pile....

Cherice St_Hilare
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:51:15 PM
I remember begging for those huge buckets o' lego's, and I finally got mine. Then I made a whole bunch of stuff with my neighbors and kept loosing all the pieces until I had like .. none left. :cry And my dad refused to buy another one for me !

So, alas, during the rest of my childhood I was deprived of lego's .. But I got those little trucks that scooped up dirt and emptied it !

Silus Xilarian
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:56:59 PM
I used that to bury the GI Joes who didnt make it through the torture device (aka the ones who wouldnt talk)

*Evil voice* :Where is your secret base!
*GI voice* : I'LL NEVER TELL YOU

*pushes a huge block of lego on top of GI Joe before burying him in the backyard*

Cherice St_Hilare
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:01:04 PM
O__o

I just liked to ruin my grandmother's flowers with my toy trucks.

Leeloo Mina
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:06:39 PM
I'm weird. All the noisemaking toys I can remember ever having were one of those wind pipes, a musicbox thingy.. and a few talking stuffed animals I got bored with.

I think that's because by the time I was three, my favorite thing to do was watch movies and play games on the computer.. Mmm.. duke nukem ^_^

Man I was a sad kid O_o

Riley Chambers
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:20:07 PM
I was a weird child. I used to have my barbies do very... not so childish things. O.o I also got into ripping their heads off and having all of them be disfunctional people.

Noire Cross
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:27:46 PM
You mean like X-Rated stuff, Riley? =P

Me and my friend used to do that and pretend it was the best ever. :angel Until our parents found out

Riley Chambers
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:29:44 PM
lmao I think watching my mother's soaps caused it... And yeah, thats what I meant. :mischief

Dante
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:25:28 PM
eek... am i the only sane one here?
*goes back to watching really gory movies.*

i first saw Reservoir Dogs when i was about 3
ditto Nosferatu
ditto Psycho
ditto The Birds
ditto nearly everything Hitchcock ever made

but see, i turned out ok....

Geist Laich
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:42:10 PM
:lol @ Riley

That's not as bad as going to play w/ your barbies and finding your brother and his friend playing with them...WITHOUT their clothes on! (the dolls I mean!)

Dante
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:48:28 PM
eep? did that actually happen to you? poor child.

im so glad i didnt have barbies.

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:03:43 PM
I still have a big bucket of legos...and they are awesome.

Lael
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:05:25 PM
My friend's little brother plays with barbies... and make up and girls clothes... I fear he just might think he's a girl.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:49:25 PM
I have legos...thousands of them. I'm trying to get my parents to get my the ISD just to see what happens if I drop it off my stairs... ^_^ As a kid my parents gave me legos and G.I Joes...

imported_Firebird1
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:01:41 PM
*Has built a Desert Skiff out of Ep2 SW Legos.*

Go buy your own!

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:25:10 PM
Dante, if you saw Reservoir Dogs when you were three years old...that means that you're....13? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:55:09 PM
Always preferred explosives, cars and other loud thingies, even when young. I've got a whole slew of letterboxes that ended their useful life after I posted bungers. Oh and lego? It has to be Technical sets. Creating things without plans, or any reason. I loved setting up helicopters with blades that would get to an estimated 10,000 rpm. Yes, it could be done, you had to engineer it well.

Lael
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:56:49 PM
That reminds me of those thingies that you could throw against the ground and they'd make a loud *POP*! Those are still around but not as popular as I remember.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:01:48 PM
ah, the lego days, the days of never having the piece you need because it's either gone or part of another you built......I was either found with Legos, Ponies or dinosaurs.......

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:46:10 PM
Mark is trying to make himself look like the smartest kid. Well, YOU AREN'T!

I was. But i have no proof. The Army stole my cold fusion equation when I was 6. HONEST!!

:) I had Legos. And My Little Ponies. And MICRO MACHINES!

My brother and i used to play Monopoly with micro machines, and make it a little story as we went around the board. ^_^; Also did that with micro machines and chess. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:47:56 PM
Hey, didn't say Iwas the smartest kid. Only hinting I was destructive :p

Taylor Millard
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:47:59 PM
:lol you mean you didn't care about the money? :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:50:45 PM
Who, me?! I was just having fun being a brainiac, you know how geniuses are. We never care about the money.

I was going to give it as my gift to the world, but the Russian Army came and stole all my Post-Its... :cry

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:51:55 PM
:lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:57:35 PM
Legos and GI Joes all the way ^_^

Lael
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:59:34 PM
I used to have tons of stuffed animals too... but then I saw Chuckie and thought all of them were staring at me so I "murdered" some of them and gave the others away... Stuffing everywhere. :p

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:00:36 AM
murdered them? :lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:03:31 AM
my ferrets have a collection of stuffed animal eyeballs that they like to cannibalize and hide under the bed in a pile; it's kind of unnerving to look under your bed at night and see this mass of eyes staring back at you :|

Dae Jinn
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:07:24 AM
Originally posted by Riley Chambers
I was a weird child. I used to have my barbies do very... not so childish things. O.o I also got into ripping their heads off and having all of them be disfunctional people.

:lol

We had our Barbies be whores most of the time.....O_o Maybe that's why I'm warped....
I remember one of my babysitters had a Barbie house with a toilet in it and she would make Ken sing when he was taking a crap :lol
Ah...nothing like a little child-hood trauma to make you all misty eyed :)
I still have lots of my childhood toys packed away ^_^;

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:08:35 AM
:lol very odd....

Lael
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:10:43 AM
Originally posted by Seerrasseei Tsseerra
murdered them? :lol

Yep. I tore apart their limbs so they couldn't claw my eyes out while I was sleeping. Thats what happens when you let an 8 year old watch a scary movie.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:15:04 AM
:lol *pictures that* what did your parents say when they found that carnage?

Lael
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:22:06 AM
"Out of one phase and into another. I'd hate to see what she's like as a teenager."

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:30:40 AM
that's all? :lol

Lael
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:11:53 AM
Basically. And they made me clean up the evidence.. :mischief

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:19:38 AM
:lol very odd....

Alpha
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:53:52 PM
I like a little of both. And as for Legos...Tons of them!!! I still play with them...and Micro Machines, and Action figures, guns, explosives, knives and swords...stuff like that.

Plus I play card games (Warlord: Saga of the Storm, Legend of the Five Rings, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek CCG, Star Wars CCG, and, of course, Magic: The Gathering), Miniature games (Mage Knight, Warhammer, Mordheim, others), and also I RPG (Tabletop).

Then I read. :)

Dante
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:37:16 PM
15, i musta miscounted.