View Full Version : Nemesis ^_^

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 4th, 2002, 12:08:02 PM
I await the rad-ness!

JonathanLB
Oct 4th, 2002, 12:31:26 PM
I await the nerdiness.

Haha, j/k, it should be good.

I'm actually probably going to ask for the first several seasons of ST:TNG for x-mas this year, among other things, because I really like that show and I'd like to have all of the seasons on DVD, eventually, too bad that's going to cost like $1,000! Crap.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 12:45:30 PM
This latest Trek movie looks like it has some promise. The odd numbered curse followed the last one, so this one should be decent. I was actually a bit dissapointed by First Contact, but then again, the Borg just haven't been the same since that whole Hugh storyline. I actually thought the series 2-parter in which Picard was assimilated was better than First Contact.

darth_mcbain
Oct 4th, 2002, 01:02:00 PM
I like Next Generation better than any of the other series. I just think the chemistry between all the characters was right, and there were pretty good storylines. I haven't seen much in the way of buzz for Nemesis, but the little I've seen makes it look pretty decent - I'm in for checking it out when it is released.

And yeah, Jon - those DVDs are pretty pricey :( , otherwise I'd have bought them already...

Figrin D'an
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:03:30 PM
I think the Borg were being developed quite nicely, even through First Contact... the Borg Queen concept added a whole new dimension to the pain and mental rape that Picard suffered when he was assimilated. I liked First Contact more so because we really saw Picard WANT to hurt something. For the first time, he abandoned the "enlightened principles of humanity" and completely wanted to annilhate the Borg... and make them suffer in the process. That was such a huge moment for his character.

Voyager was what really ruined the Borg for me. Seven of Nine, Unimatirx Zero (that whole story arc was the kicker... total crap...) ... Rick Berman and Brannon Braga did a good job of reducing possibly the coolest Trek villians ever to a sad plot device...

Anyway... Nemesis looks promising. Finally, the Romulans get involved in a Trek film...

Jinn Fizz
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:40:30 PM
I almost can't forgive Voyager for how that series utterly and completely destroyed the Borg. A pox on them all. :verymad

What I've seen of Nemesis looks very promising, I'll definitely be seeing it opening weekend. I've been a Trek fan since I was a wee bairn. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 4th, 2002, 04:37:08 PM
I guess Ive missed out totally on what Nemesis is. :huh

I still have to go with the original series as my favorite. I remember crashing in a chair and threatening everyone at home with death if they so much as breathed during the show >D

I loved First Contact. Its what got me watching the series in the first place. :)

I liked Hugh but that episode did start a decline in the Borg threat.

Voyager was my second favorite out of the series but then the stupid networks but it on a channel I couldnt get and so I lost all ability to follow the show :grumble

Jinn Fizz
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:47:40 PM
Nemesis is the new Star Trek movie coming out right before Christmas :). They're advertising it as the last TNG movie.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:52:02 PM
I never really liked the idea of a borg queen. I thought the lack of a single, identifiable enemy is what made the Borg so interesting. You were dealing with a collective that was so single minded in its objective that it was frightening. There was no emotion to play off of. No single person to bargain with. The queen changed all that. Now the Borg were being led by an individual who seemed as emotional and evil as any typical movie villian. I just think the Borg had no where to go but down after that great 2 parter. The episode in which Q introduced them was great to begin with. They topped themselves with the assimilation episode, but they just never got me back after that.

The only ST DVD I have is the recent director's cut of Kahn. For me, that was by far the best ST movie. The director's cut has some extended scenes which I really don't think helped the movie, but it's still a great movie. I find myself rooting outloud every time the Enterprise gets payback against the Reliant in the Nebula. Then you've Spock's death, which at the time really felt like the end of the character, not a plot device, Montalban's strong performance, and a storyline that connected straight back to the classic series. Good stuff all around.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:55:26 PM
Wrath Of Khan was awesome!! Ive always beena big ST fan and I hadnt been married long when my hubby and I went dow to Texas to visit my older sister. "Kjan" came out the following weekend and the hubby, me, my sister and her hubby all went to see it.

I was in tears before the end of the movie and all three of them were giving me strange looks and later told me they thought I was being silly. I swore then that I would never see another movie with them, one that I truly wanted to see, and I havent.

Sometimes, I still :cry when I watch it.

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:56:11 AM
I do, during the funeral scene. That is done so well. And Kirk's eulogy....damn

"Of all the souls that I have ever encountered, his was the most...human."

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:01:00 AM
:cry

I cried too. But I'm an emotional wreck at all times. I just get so INVOLVED with movies. :cry

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:11:45 PM
Only ST would watch again is IV. I liked VIII, but that's all. It's a tired francise and it simply does not have anything I can like or think is fresh anymore.

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:55:14 PM
Unlike LotR, which is CUTTING EDGE, MAN!!! WOOO!!! ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:58:22 PM
Your post noted and then thrown into the bit bucket

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:01:58 PM
Likewise.

Nupraptor
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:25:02 PM
I don't particularly like ST, but I do sort of want to see Nemesis. Although I think I've heard most of the spoilers for the movie. Like how they're going to kill off Data, because the actor has aged too much or that Picard is cloned... or something like that. Still, it looks like it has a bit of flair to it, and might be worth watching. If nothing better is out at the time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:51:05 PM
*knows nothing about the movie and manages not to read the spoilers*

Oh well I did hear that one of the crew dies. But who knows? And I bet Nup posted that same spoiler, but I'm not looking... :)

Nupraptor
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:19:17 PM
Yep, I did. Not a huge surprise, really.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:40:13 PM
Ooh! Now...I'll look at yours....

But, what if you're tricking me...and trying to get me back for telling you that Anakin's action figure's arm falls off? :eek

*does not read his spoilers* ^_^;

Sanis Prent
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:58:46 PM
lol

JonathanLB
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:53:41 AM
Well First Contact almost made me think, "Whoa, I'm a Star Trek fan now," haha, j/k, being a ST fan is hard, takes like 1,000 hours of viewing. Literally. ;)

I just loved First Contact. I nearly gave it four stars because it was so much fun, but it gets a high B+ from me, 3.5 stars.

Insurrection wasn't terrible and, to be fair, was not bad. It was about a 2 to 2.5 star movie, but quite disappointing I thought. I wasn't a fan at all.

This new one looks like it has 3.5 star potential.

It's actually really annoying that TNG and The X-Files cost about $100-$110 per season. I mean, that is very expensive! I have the first 5 seasons of X-Files, and it is my favorite TV show ever (Simpsons being a close 2nd), but it's just not too reasonable.

you know, the show "24" is about $45 for the first season, great deal, IMO, and Buffy seasons are inexpensive. The 2nd was also about $45, and you're getting just as many episodes as you do for a season of The X-Files or TNG. If they dropped the price to $50 per season or even $60, they'd probably have enough sales to make up for it, but perhaps they reason that all Star Trek fans will pay $100 anyway. I don't think that's really true. I think by charging that much, you make a lot of the fans choose which seasons to get, whereas if you priced it at $60 they would perhaps just buy them all to keep in their collections, not to mention you'd get people who really haven't seen much of the show.

I've only seen perhaps 10 episodes of TNG, and they were all excellent, and more than being entertaining, every one of them asked a philosophical question or posed a moral issue, and that's quality TV, I think. So on the basis of those episodes, I'd buy the entire seasons, but not many people would probably do that.

For instance, I bought Buffy season one without having even seen a single episode, or even 10 minutes of an episode. I bought it on faith that it would be good because it lasted very long and seemed to be something I might like. I loved season one, and I bought season two, and I love that too. Buffy is one of the best TV shows ever, I think, and I can't wait to get future seasons. So if they dropped the price of the TNG DVDs, it seems to me there would be people such as myself who would be more willing to buy them even without having seen many episodes or whatever.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:00:56 AM
I liked Voyager until Chatokay sacrificed his manhood on the altar of Janeway, and she wouldn't stop saying "I'm not prepared to accept that."

*goes to bed* :zzz

Jinn Fizz
Oct 6th, 2002, 08:28:15 AM
Yeah, Chakotay and Janeway were meant to be together, and Janeway was such a stubborn woman...sheesh, I wanted to slap her upside the head sometimes to make her wake up and smell the proverbial coffee :headbash. I quit watching the show at around season 5, I got so disenchanted with it, but I did watch most of the final episode. And to find out that Chakotay ended up with Seven of Nine....no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!! :cry

I do agree with Marcus's statement earlier about the ST franchise being tired...that's how I felt when I knew Voyager would be going off the air, and there was talk of another ST TV series. I thought they needed to let the franchise rest for a few years, then maybe they could find some freshness and try again. But no, they were determined to keep the franchise going, and came up with Enterprise. I gave it a shot, watched the first hour of the pilot, then turned it off. I just didn't find it interesting at all. And I'm especially upset to hear that they've blasted previous series continuity to bits and basically made the original series apocryphal...it's like they're saying, "Never mind, they got it all wrong, here's the actual truth." It seems like as time went on, the most recent batch of producers had something against the original series, and Enterprise just solidifies my opinion on that.

Still, I'll be seeing Nemesis on opening weekend, 'cause I just love TNG. Data is my favorite TNG character, but if he dies in Nemesis as rumored, that's okay, as long as it's a noble death like Spock's in Wrath of Khan. Make it something stupid, and there will be hell to pay!!!! :p :p :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:12:27 PM
Enterprise needs more short skirts and go go boots for the females, and then it'll fit better with the original. :D

JediBoricua
Oct 6th, 2002, 04:14:17 PM
Watched the trailer for Nemesis yesterday, I am not a fan but that thing look AWESOME! I will have to go and see it with a friend of mine, he is a walking ST encyclopedia, i've seen him beat the Star Trek geek on Beat the Geek like 4 times, so he can give me some background.

But i agree with John, it takes too much time to be a ST fan.

JonathanLB
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:44:55 AM
I haven't watched Enterprise much, but my friend Ben loves it. He won't miss an episode...

Apparently it's pretty popular and I hear many good things about it, but don't ask me, I'm not a Trekkie.

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:46:36 AM
I'm only a fan of old school trek. Original series and Next Generation, with a bit of DS9 mixed in (I missed the later seasons). I saw all of 2 episodes of Voyager, it simply didn't interest me. I've started getting into Enterprise, cause it looks pretty fresh and different.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:09:16 PM
DS9 is very underrated, IMO. Ultimately, I think they made the right choice of simplifying the plotline a little and relying on characters more to drive the show. Besides, all out war was something that hadn't been done before on Star Trek. Bringing in Worf was a bit of a ratings ploy, but he fit in well after a while.

I still think that one of the best single Star Trek episodes, amongst all the series, is "In The Pale Moonlight," when Sisko attempts to bring the Romulans into the war. It easily matches "The Best of Both Worlds" and "The Inner Light" from TNG.

Enterprise is getting better. The most recent episode was pretty good. I'm giving it some time... it took both TNG and DS9 about a season to a season and a half to really get rolling.

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:21:34 PM
I want to see Ensign Ro in Nemesis...she was such an awesome character...but I bet she's not in anything. :(

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2002, 02:42:58 PM
Ro Laren kind of got written out the same way Wesley Crusher did... the character might still be around, but she's pretty much unimportant in relation to what affects the rest of the major characters.

Cool character, but not a lot of room for extensive development.

Mu Satach
Oct 7th, 2002, 03:04:52 PM
*resists urge to read spoilers*
^_^;

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I still think that one of the best single Star Trek episodes, amongst all the series, is "In The Pale Moonlight," when Sisko attempts to bring the Romulans into the war.

OMG! That episode blew me away!!! I love that one.

My only major gripe with DS9 is the way the series ended.
The final ep was just so... blaaaaahhhhh...
that was just such a let down after the whole Dominion War.
Oh well... whaddya gonna do. :)

Opening night, Nemisis I am soooooooo there... for the first time in a Loooong time a Trek trailer is giving me mega goose bumps & raising the hair on the back of my neck.... I can't remember the last time trek did that to me.

Sanis Prent
Oct 7th, 2002, 04:27:17 PM
Ensign Ro and all the Maquis were so very Irish Republican Army lol

Gurney Devries
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:10:04 PM
I'm like a walking spoiler :)

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:37:05 PM
:lol

Jinn Fizz
Oct 7th, 2002, 08:27:34 PM
I loved DS9 also...while TNG is my favorite of the ST series, I think DS9 was the best. I loved all the story arcs, the intricate threading together of stories, the awesome and complex characters (besides the main cast, I especially loved Gul Dukat, Garak, and Weyoun the Vorta), the gritty nature to it all and the fact that this series wasn't cut-and-dried with good guys with white hats and bad guys with black hats.

"In the Pale Moonlight" is the perfect example of the complex nature of DS9. I'll never forget how I felt at the end, when I saw it the first time...it was downright shocking, almost like a punch in the gut, and pretty daring for ST.

Why Avery Brooks was never nominated for an Emmy, I'll never know. >_<

imported_Eve
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:11:05 PM
I hate to say it guys, but I'm a bigger ST fan than SW.

Anyhoo, I loved TNG the best, and can't wait for Nemesis! The spoiler that no one is reading - that SUCKS! That takes away my favorite part of ST.

TOS - good. Easy to get into for an oldie.

TNG - The BEST.... EVER! I'll never find a show I enjoy as much, ever again.

DS9 - Good in the beginning, then I stopped watching. Worf came back. Dax died and married Worf (in reverse order). What happened to Counselor Troi? Why did they date on TNG if she is Riker's imzadi?!? Which leads me to another spoiler: Riker and Troi now marry! Good, but WTF. Bleh.

HATED THE TOTAL PREOCCUPATION OF THE 20TH AND 21ST CENTURIES!

VOY - I stopped watching after season one when it aired due to lack of interest. Janeway is too hardcore for me. Alot of forced relationships that seemed impossible. Left no "Who's the Boss; Tony/Angela need to get together" anticipation. But nowadays I watch the re-runs as I go to sleep, and I must say, IT IS a good show!

HATED THE TOTAL PREOCCUPATION OF THE 20TH AND 21ST CENTURIES!

Enterprise - I love it! It's lacking something, but watching it makes me happy, and I haven't found anything to watch since TNG went byebye. Besides, Reed is hot. Trip is hot. Archer is hot. EVERYONE is hot. Nice to see the prequel of the series.

Side note: my assitant and I are the only ones in my office who don't speak spanish (America's new first language - not). So everyone else speaks spanish all day, and kinda singles us out. So we decided we'll learn Klingon.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:24:57 PM
Reed and Trip...mmmmmm!

I could eat up Trip for breakfast, he is SOOO yummy!

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:21:09 PM
What's wrong with people speaking Spanish? ;)

Gurney Devries
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:27:55 PM
By the same token: What's wrong with speaking English? :p

imported_Eve
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:30:30 PM
What's wrong with speaking Klingon?

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:51:36 PM
Refering to the masked spoiler in Eve's post:

That was really kind of set up in Insurrection. I think it's, more or less, that since this is the last film with the TNG crew, and everyone knows that Riker and Troi are supposed to be together (because of the Imzadi thing), they decided to make the fans happy and have them finally get together for good. It was implied near the end of Insurrection that they would start dating again, and their rekindled relationship is actually mentioned in one of the later Voyager episodes, involving Barcley and the Pathfinder project (Marina Sirtis is in the episode).

The Worf/Troi thing was abruptly ended, and it was done off-camera, so it's confusing to most everyone. Nothing is really shown or mentioned of that relationship during Generations, nor when Worf shows up on DS9. It was just dropped really. I guess I don't mind that much, since I never really bought the Worf/Troi relationship. Worf/Dax was much more realistic, since they had so much more in common. Of course, when Terry Farrell decided to leave the show (I'll never understand that decision, and with only one season left too), things got even more messed up.

Anyway... I shall stop my geeky Star Trek ramblings.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:57:54 PM
The Worf/Troi thing was pretty dorky, I never believed it either. >_<

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:18:03 PM
:cry I cried when she died. :cry:cry

Dax, that is. Or rather, Jadzia, as Dax didn't actually die. :huh :D

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:30:53 PM
What's wrong with speaking chiruk?

Mu Satach
Oct 10th, 2002, 11:55:07 AM
Marina Sirtis jokes that the Worf/Troi thing was done by the writters just to annoy her since she and Michael Dorn are buddy/pal/friend/Chums. Cause it completely made no sense while it was happening. :p

I miss Jadzia... she was cool.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 10th, 2002, 12:09:55 PM
I can't wait for the movie now. Darn it!

:(

Oriadin
Oct 11th, 2002, 05:19:15 AM
Ive been a casual ST fan all my life. Im not one of those people who goes round reading maps of ships, learning klingon and going to those lengths. I dont even make sure I dont miss an eppisode. If I flick through the channels and its on, I'll watch it. I love the majority of the films. The first one was by far the worst. Ick. Not good. Star Trek the Motionless picture. My favorite one though it Undescovered Country. Kirk was probably my last childhood hero so that film meant a great deal to me I think. Plus the plot was excellent. Very good story.

In Generations, where Kirk said "Who am I to argue with the captain of the star ship enterprise?" always puts a lump in my throat. An end of an era. As the the TV series, I like most of them but im not all that keen on Voyager and Ive never really gotten into DS9, although ive enjoyed it when Ive watched it.

People under rate ST in my opinion. They see a futureistic Sci Fi and that puts some people off. They say they dont understand a lot of the terminology used. The thing is, you dont need to understand it. The stories are usually always moral based there is a hell of a lot of good character development and you can only give the script writters credit for their hard work.

Pat on the back to them all.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:26:30 AM
New trailer, new trailer!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/star_trek_nemesis/

Click on "Full Trailer" for the new one. Do NOT watch if you want to avoid spoilers of any kind.

Holy smokes...if this truly is the TNG cast's last movie, then it looks like they're going to go out with a very dark and exciting movie. If the final product lives up to the trailer.

Sanis Prent
Oct 25th, 2002, 02:01:39 PM
You're a little slow to the punch there :)

Jinn Fizz
Oct 26th, 2002, 04:50:55 PM
That's what I've heard...but what can I say, haven't been to the theaters lately and nobody told me this new trailer was out, so.... Oh well. :o