PDA

View Full Version : The origins of a word...

AmazonBabe
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:13:11 PM
The "S" word to be precise.

Now, I don't know how much of this is true or not, but I heard it this morning and had to share it with you guys. It's kinda funny.

---

In the 1800's/early 1900's, ships were widely used to transport stuff from country to country, and one of the items that was widely transported was manure (maybe the said country receiving said item couldn't produce enough of it's own crap).

Anyways... the ships transporting this manure would store it way down in the bottom most deck of the ship. But due to the sea air and moisture that would acumulate down there, the manure would produce large amounts of methane into the lower deck. And when the sailor on night duty would go down to chec on the stores with his carosene lamp, well, the flame would ignite the methane and the whole ship would go up with a big bang.

Now for a long time this happened, and ppl couldn't figure out why these ships were blowing up.

Then someone did some research and discovered the methane produced by the manure in the lower hold, and figured it was the flame from the carosene lamps that would set the whole ship ablaze.

So, what they did to prevent the gasses from being trapped way down in the hold, the stored the manure at a higher deck with better ventilation so that the gases could escape and not blow up the ship.

To let sailors know where to store these boxes of manure, the initials for "Store High In Transit" were painted on the side of the large crates.

---

You learn something new every day... whether it be true or false.

Believe... or not. :lol

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:19:22 PM
I got that e-mail from my uncle! That was a great e-mail! I laughed for days

Taylor Millard
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:20:06 PM
Ah email never mind. :lol

Leeloo Mina
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:54:33 PM
:lol Probaly not true but funny ^_^

Lady Vader
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:07:04 PM
I actually heard it on the radio. :lol

And I just found this site (http://www.takeourword.com/et_temp.html). (WARNING: Site contains some obscenities.)

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2002, 12:15:18 PM
:)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:45:07 PM
odd.... o_O doesn't sound true though.....

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:05:45 PM
May be a little off topic...but interesting nonetheless.

There's an actual village in Wales called 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili ogogogoch'. Do a search on it.

Darius Van-Derveld
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:28:51 PM
ive been there. drove through it at least.
the name board was bigger than the town

Levi Argon
Oct 4th, 2002, 05:26:08 PM
Been there myself. I really like Wales. :)

Lady Vader
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:18:00 PM
I've heard of that town, but never been there.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:09:10 PM
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is not the longest town name in the world. Thailand has a town whose name has 163 letters:

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayuttha yamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniw esmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitakkattiyavis anukamprasit.

So there. :p

Makoto Neosis
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:12:51 PM
have a helluva time pronouncing that...

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:19:53 PM
I'd have to take three breaths while saying ONE name...:x

Where is that? Hawaii? Or Wales again?