PDA

View Full Version : Useless College rant

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:35:52 AM
As for Ecks Vs. Sever, I felt the same way exactly. The action was just awesome, but the film itself was no more than 2.5 stars. The dialogue was awkward, the plot was just plain convoluted and poorly told, it wasn't very logical whatsoever, entire parts seemed to be missing. Yet the action was great. I don't give films a full recommend rating just for their action, though, they need to be good movies. I think I'd be too easy of a critic if I gave Ecks vs. Sever 3 stars...

I felt it was a pretty good, above average effort, so it got 2.5 stars.

I haven't seen Sweet Home Alabama. I just didn't have the opportunity. I saw The Tuxedo then left for college that Saturday morning, but I'm coming back this weekend to see it and everything else new.

I'm probably just going to come back almost every weekend. College blows. Waste of time, waste of money, boring, useless, idiotic. Horrible. I can't wait to get back home already.

Next term I'm putting all of my classes on Tuesdays and Thursday so I can take a 4 day weekend every single week and just come home.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:32:45 AM
Well Jon for some people college is not a waste of time, I enjoyed college and will probably end up going back to get my PHD. Sure some people shouldn't go to college but for others it is perfect for them and the only way they can get a good job.

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:07:57 PM
All of the time I have been at college I have been depressed so far, and at LMU, severely. That's surprising given that I am a mentally tough person and I have such little difficulty with classes at all.

To be honest, college simply doesn't challenge me enough, and it doesn't challenge me in the right areas either. I don't consider it challenging to memorize vast amounts of useless knowledge, I consider it pointless. Challenging is finding a way to make thousands of dollars per month without having a lot of money to spend, or figuring out what book is going to appeal to a mass market audience but also be true to my intent to write quality film industry commentary.

For some people, college may be necessary, emphasis on may. Some people just think it is necessary, others are right, and it really is necessary for them. All science and engineering majors are in the right place, I think. I don't see how they could get jobs without degrees.

But I want to do film, and yes, it IS a waste of time going to college because I'm not learning anything about what I plan to spend my life doing. All of this "knowledge" I am just going to forget within weeks because I don't give a damn about any of it.

If it doesn't apply to my life, it doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned. Any knowledge that is not directly applicable to my daily life is USELESS, and that is the attitude that everyone should have so that we don't all waste our precious minutes on useless endeavors. Now I consider current events and politics pretty important, I check CNN about 5 times per day, generally just once before I get dressed for the day, a few times throughout the day, and a few times at night before I go to bed. I read a lot, and I keep up to date, but I am not interested in geology. I don't care how "things work," as long as they work, that's good enough for me. I don't care about "gravity acting on the pen as it falls to the ground," I just care that if I drop something it does fall. Beyond that, it doesn't whatsoever interest me why it happens. That's someone else's problem and job to figure out. I only care about things like, "If you don't get the right lighting for a shot, then you can't see the back of the sets properly and the expressions on the actors' faces do not come across clearly," or something like that. I care that when my server goes down, my sites go down, so I have to know how to fix it.

If I ever need to know how something works, I can just look it up, that is what the information exists for. If someone else already discovered it AND I don't use it in my everyday life, I have no use for knowing it. Nobody can hope to learn everything about the world, so it's not useful even trying. If you just learn what you really love and are passionate about, you are focusing your mental powers far more and you will be more successful.

Anyway, learning in class is for fools who don't know how to learn on their own, or lack the motivation to learn on their own. If you must attend a class to learn something, you are an idiot. I'm not saying all college students are idiots, but if they would honestly say, "Well gee without these classes I wouldn't know anything," then I say they are fools. The Internet, local libraries, how could you possibly say that you need class to learn?! Knowledge is everywhere, it's up to you to learn what you want to know. If you have to go to class just to learn this stuff because your lazy butt can't find anything on your own, then you're the stupid one for going to college, not the smart scholar. A smart person finds the best way to obtain knowledge the easiest, and that's through your own personal time, not through organized classes.

I find all of college quite depressing. I'm less depressed now about wasting my money because I'm not using much here, but everything else is depressing. My friends are boring and spend all of their time on either classes or their girlfriend (ahem, Bryan), so I don't ever have anything to do. It's not like college is challenging. It's 10 times easier than high school ever was. I mean, in high school it wasn't like, "Oh gee I have a full day today," it was just, DUH, every day you had a full day. 7.5 hours of class every day, and I had 2-7 hours of homework each night. Probably averaged 3.5 throughout high school. So that meant I spent like 60 hours per week on school. At college, I have 16 credits, above normal, and 20 hours of class, yet I will never exceed 40 hours of actual work, no way. I would be so mad if I did 35 hours of work in a week, lol.

This is a cakewalk, so I would think there would be more partying, but even at OSU it doesn't seem to me that there are any good parties, and you have to know the right people to get anywhere, and my friends have no interest in partying. Ben thinks physics and chemistry and engineering are more interesting than meeting good looking girls. I, however, am human, and a guy, and I want to meet girls, lol. But that's not possible so far. I can't meet them in class because the classes are too big, and I don't meet them out of class because nobody I know ever does anything interesting, so that leaves me pretty much out of luck.

I am just going to work hard on my writing career and try to ignore the fact that I'm basically a social reject, haha. I do believe that my success will help me in other areas as well. I keep on thinking about getting a book published, so I really need to make this happen soon, I've worked so hard, but come up short so far, and I'm hoping third time is the charm. Otherwise I'll try again, and again, until I get it right.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:39:07 PM
Okay, I have a major bone to pick with that argument.

Especially since you want to be a writer.

Useless knowledge and trivial facts are what can MAKE a story. Look at Chriton, for crying out loud. Now, I'm not going to say he's an awesome writer, but, his stories have good merit, and are well-constructed through research.

Classes are not for idiots. I'm ticked that I wasn't able to get into classes this quarter, classes that wouldn't do me any immidiate good except than to get me into the classes I want later. I am honestly a regtistered genius. But, I still know the value of learning from a system that is designed to teach. Books and the internet can give information, yes, but what if you ahd a class where your teacher knew more than your book or internet or television? Someone with a passion about their subject? Then I would say you would learn MORE from that person than you would your books and whatnot.

You might not care how gravity works, or how fast light goes, but, they are very important things, especially if you ever want to get technical about anything. What seems meaningless never is. If you learn something, you will use it, even if indirectly.

I can't believe you have so little respect for a learning system, when you yourself want to appeal to a smart audience.

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:56:56 PM
You just defeated your own argument. If I wanted to know how fast light travels (I used to know this, lol) then I'd just look it up wouldn't I? DUH. It's all over the Internet.

Go to google and type "Speed of Light" or "Gravity" (-9.8 m/s^2) and you can find whatever you want for being accurate.

That is what we normal people like to call RESEARCH -- you do it for every paper or book you ever write. You don't need to know anything but how to find information and that is good enough.

Being truly wise is not knowing everything, but knowing how to find everything you want to know. THAT is wisdom. I can find anything I want when I want it, and just having it in my memory wouldn't be useful (or possible).

I think Crichton is a great writer. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about, in my professional opinion. I have studied him, his writing, and his themes and there is a lot there, whether people want to see it or not. He is a genius, and he wrote his way through college while doing very well and in med school and all too. His writing, structurally and grammatically, is awesome. It's far better than you'd find from most of the popular literature out there, and you don't see that big of bibliographies at the end of most books either. You can make fun of a Tom Clancy or a Stephen King or a J. K. Rowlings (she cannot write worth beans), but Crichton has an excellent command of his craft and he's a wonderful storyteller.

I never said that only idiots attend class, I said that idiots are people who don't think about how to learn outside of class. That is where the real learning takes place. If you really want to learn something, you just research it and figure it out on your own.

Plus, what are you talking about with teachers? That's not possible at large schools like this with hundreds of people. Maybe if my classes were only 25 people then a teacher would be of some use, but otherwise the teacher just drones on and on with material that is already covered in the book or totally useless to me because I already know it. At LMU I had a few good classes where we actually DISCUSSED issues, but at OSU, you get what you pay for, which is not much.

Then again, it's not worth $20,000 per year to go to college, no matter where you are. I think anyone who honestly spends $80,000 to $200,000 on tuition alone is just foolish. There is no reason to be spending that kind of money on school. You could take that money and invest it into your own business and be far better off. Heck with $20,000 you can take over a pretty sizeable online business, imagine what you could do with $100,000. Then if you wanted to go to school later you just use the money you make from that business to spend on college. Otherwise, though, there is no use in wasting so much money just going to idiotic classes. College should be about two years long at the most. No core classes, no nonsense, just classes in your major, that should be it. Also a few electives that you wanted to take.

The core classes serve no purpose, though. They don't exist to make a well rounded student because only people who literally qualify for "RETARDED" status haven't already learned everything they teach in core classes while in high school. I mean, every high school graduate is a very well rounded person academically if they graduated with over a 3.5 especially. If I'm not well rounded educationally, then what the hell is well rounded? I took every major science, biology, chemistry, and physics at a college level (this was college prep. anyway), plus I took Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calc, Calculus, health, ethics, problems of faith, a few more basic philosophy classes essentially, world religions, world history, U.S. history, U.S. politics and economics, African literature, American literature, British literature, Asian literature, all of which included emphasis on writing and essays, so what I did in high school already makes me a very, very well educated person with experience in every subject matter of major significance (whereas something like astronomy fits alongside the other sciences like physics specifically). That means once anyone gets to college, there shouldn't be any more core classes, just classes you WANT to take and classes in your major. After all, we are paying to go to college, we should get a total choice of what to take, no restrictions. You should simply get a degree after so and so many credits, not any required classes, unless you want a specific major, in which case that major should have required courses and that would be that.

4 years to major in business? I could teach a dog how to do business in 3 years, a person only needs one year at most. If you took 45 credits of business related courses, and you still couldn't run your own business, you are a fool. I never took any classes and I just went right into business. Hell I was in business when I was 7 years old, selling golf balls, and that was the most basic concept of all: supply, demand, and how to make deals. I negotiated prices, I set prices based on quality and demand and supply, then I made money. It was very simple. Larger businesses just introduce a few other variables, and accounting is all common sense, everyone should be able to do that.

Most things, honestly, unless you are an idiot you should be able to figure out how to do them yourself. It doesn't do any good having someone else hold your hand like a two-year-old.

In film, it's a bit different, it can be very, very helpful to hear from other people and have them teach you what works and what doesn't work because film is all about ideas and execution. Other subjects are just about memorization and learning the basics, beyond that, it's just up to you to figure it out.

There is far too much schooling in America today. I wouldn't want our education system getting another dime of my tax money. They need to find a way to work with what they have, because they already get too much as far as I'm concerned. School only exists to keep people out of trouble, it actually teaches you very little of any real value. 22 years of schooling is beyond absurd. People used to be doing real world things at age 12 or 13 and now they have to wait another decade. There shouldn't be any middle school, that was useless, I'd say there should be 4 grades before high school, then high school for 2 years, then college for 2-4 years depending on what you are doing. That would cut out the BS quite substantially and energize the economy by getting people into the workplace sooner and cutting the educational programs needed.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:04:27 PM
Can we stop the three hundred page thesis on why the other person is wrong? That goes for everyone. Sheesh, I have better things to do, why don't you?

Sejah Haversh
Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:12:11 PM
"It is the first fool who believes himself wiser than another." -Moliere

Is all I say to that, and to your thougts on Education, I can only borrow Sir Samuel Garth's words and describe them as "A barren superfluity of words."

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:56:47 PM
Jon, just because you're not enjoying or benefitting from school, doesn't mean school is useless. It's just not for you. I dropped out of university after a day because I realized that it wasn't for me. But the merits of the education system are obvious. Only a narrow-minded turd would say otherwise. There are hundreds of thousands of teachers out there who have passion for what they teach, and to call their profession useless is just insulting to them. If you don't like school, fine, but don't knock it.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:14:23 PM
I split it because they were two topics being discussed. Jon, I am not going to tackle your whole argument because that would take forever but I completely disagree with you. First off most major are important, and you can't do with out degrees: history, teaching, medicine, law, science, engineers, psychology, and journalism all come to mind, you can't just one day decide to be a historian and write books. First off you would be laughed out of ever historical association in the US, second there are certain procedures, how you write history, citing sources, etc, its not something you can do without some type of study. And that goes for most majors, sure I agree there are usless fields (sociology comes to mind) but most fields in college are important and today there are a lot of jobs that you cannot get without a degree (at least in the US). I think you are offbase here, and I think it is your dissasastiction with college that is making you say this talk, because there are three people on this board at least who got degrees and each of them enjoyed college (I am going by there experiences and my own.) If its not for you thats fine, they are a lot of people that don't like college and drop out, there are plenty of things you can do.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:16:49 PM
I wish I could have finished college, but I just can't afford it. :cry

Karl Emmerich
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:29:16 PM
Actually, Sociology is a very important one if you want to do marketing, graphic design, or any kind of presentation. You have to know your customers in order to sell to them. But very good points, Carr.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:33:00 PM
I didn't know that, I just remember all the jokes I heard about it when I was going to school and the one class I took it bored me, but maybe it was the professor who knows.

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:43:40 PM
I've heard you rant about this before, Jon. How college is a corrupting influence, the epitome of moral decay, how classes are pointless, most majors are stupid because they are "obvious knowledge," and how you already know everything you'll ever need to succeed. Fine. Such is your perogative. I'm not going to argue all of those points, because it's a waste of my time and yours.

I simply want to know, if you are so miserable at college (two different universities now), why are you there? Why not just drop out? Are you there because of your friends? Or, "to meet girls," as you so aptly put it? It seems like such a waste of time, and of your parents money, for you to go to classes everyday when you obviously have no interest in being there and little interest in the subject matter. You yourself have said that it's possible to start a business with the amount of money that one would typically spend on 4 years of tuition. So... why not go start a business? Take your own advice and go do something constuctive. You've touted your resourcefulness on many occasions... put it to good use, rather than trudge though something that you obviously hate. Free up a spot in some of those classes for someone that may actually be interested in the topics and desire to learn something.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:56:15 PM
College isnt for everybody, like the others said. Take some time off and decide what you want to do, then go for it. You seem very innovative, Jon.

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:25:37 PM
You guys are vastly misunderstanding my words, so let me try to restate it a bit shorter this time because I'm writing reviews so I'm pretty busy, just took a break here.

"Sheesh, I have better things to do, why don't you?"

What better do you have to do? You are here at this forum, and that is by definition a waste of time if you have real work to do, but I like to waste some time each day ;) I also like to rant, because if I don't get things off my chest, then I feel all frustrated and I don't like just writing to myself in a diary either, that seems pointless, I like to create response and incite discussion. Even if that discussion turns into argument or even if it means people are going to tear into what I say, at least it's something, at least it is conversation...

I never once said that school is useless to everyone, I said that it is useless to me. There's a big difference. Even while it may be useless to me, I have no real option but to stay. It is, as I will explain in a second, the lesser of many evils. I know many people in college who should be here. They must finish their degrees to do whatever it is they want to do, like Ben wants to be an engineer, Sean wants to be a doctor, and Mike wants to be a computer programmer, all of which take degrees to get jobs at major companies at least. That's just the way it is. Does it mean you really need a degree to be able to do these tasks or jobs? No, but it does mean that the employers want you to have them.

I believe in college education, but I don't believe in it whatsoever in its current form. Nobody, no matter what their major, should be required to take core classes. Those should be, and ARE, already covered in high school, every one of the major ones, so there shouldn't be any core class nonsense. You should go to college for 2-3 years and study intensively and learn what you want, then be done with it. The people who have the most fun at college are generally those who learn the least, and I really don't look down on those people unless they turn into nobodys, because I'd rather have fun than learn about geology, jesus, like I care about frickin' geology. I care about movies, writing, and the Internet, I don't really care about anything else beyond that. Obviously I care about current events, but I mean as far as major areas of interest go, not interested in sciences, math, any of that, already did it all on a basic level, don't feel like going beyond that basic level. I have a simple understanding of all forms of science and math and that is plenty sufficient for my personal needs. Other people may need to know more for their jobs or hobbies or whatever.

Carr, you are right that I rant about college because I'm not happy with my situation here, but that wouldn't change no matter what college I attend. I just don't care for college in general, I don't like the classes, I don't like schedules for boredom, I don't like anything that requires me to do things that I consider wasteful. Plus, nobody I know here does anything fun even, they just live such boring lives. Of course, I guess I don't need to say that, then, I have to lead a fairly boring life too because there is not much else I can do besides keep to myself and do my work. I'm ok with that at this point, I feel that I am very young still and I'm a very patient person when I want to be. I realize things take time, but at other times I am incredibly impatient because I don't know sometimes if something is ever going to happen (when I start panicking I get impatient).

Ok to the other question, Figrin. I should have pre-empted that, but I thought it was clear from previous discussions, and I was wrong, I hadn't made that clear here. I just have said that to other people before and I forget where I am repeating myself and where I am not.

Here is why I want to quit college:

1) Bored by the classes, they don't challenge me, I don't want to be challenged except in classes that I consider interesting (which is few).

2) Feel like I'm wasting my time, money, not really making any progress in the world.

3) Not happy, sometimes depressed, but generally "blah" feeling.

Here is why I cannot quit college, and these, for me, far outweigh the above unfortunately:

1) I do not gain access to my trust fund, ever, unless I complete college.

2) I cannot go to film school unless I complete college because my parents won't pay for it unless I do, and I don't have $20,000 cash just lying around for film school, plus cost of living (at least $18,000 because these schools are in expensive areas), so if I quit college I'd be quitting on my dream of film school too, because I couldn't put aside that much money in the next few years, not with the kind of money I make and would make working a crappy job, for instance. That would even depress me further because film is my dream.

3) My parents would be very disappointed in me because they just don't understand that college is not my deal, so my dad would consider me a failure unless I did something huge later or whatever, and that means I wouldn't really be talking to him or my mom much because if they felt that way, it wouldn't be worth keeping in contact. That would be sad, given that I have a great relationship with my parents.

I think you can see why those 3 reasons far outweigh the three above. I am probably making $25,000 a year just staying in college, because my trust fund will be at least somewhat sizeable like that, it's not huge, but it's a start, as I have been told. Why jeopardize that over THESE easy classes?! I have no difficulty in school. I'm better at it than almost anyone. It's my game, I've always been good at this, hehe, getting A's is practically what I lived for in high school.

Oh, and why don't I take some time off and think about things? I did, I took 10 months off, now I'm back in college, and I still don't like it. I'll get by, though. I will try to minimize my work, maximize my movie watching, go home whenever I want, see if I can have any fun, and make the best of my situation. After all, I'm not in that bad of a bind here, I mean I am lucky enough and fortunate enough to have a family with a lot of money and I'm a very smart, able person, I have a bright future ahead, so I cannot make it into that big of a deal and let myself get that depressed, but it just frustrates me because I feel just like I am in prison right now, waiting for release in 4 years so I can pursue my real career.

I do not care what I major in, as long as it's easy, so that leaves philosophy and maybe psychology, which I don't know how easy that is at most colleges, but here it is an absolute cake walk, so I hear from my cousin (24), who is a bio major.

I mean, hey, I'll get some enjoyment out of college. It's not ALL BAD, nothing is ever all bad or all good usually, it is gray, shades of good and bad. I love this film class. I do not like my other 4 classes, though. So that's pretty bad, only 1 good class out of 5, but it's not ALL bad. I can make the best of the situation just by enjoying my free time, getting through these, and ultimately remembering this is just the first term this year, it'll be over soon, and next term I'm going to make really easy on myself, so I'll just go with the flow.

I have never meant to insult anyone here with a degree, by the way, I think it is a good thing to have in this world. In fact, it is essential for MOST people, even 90% of the people who want to go anywhere, but it happens that where I want to go, what I want to do, it's probably not that useful. It will be an extra tool in my box, so to speak, but it just isn't worth the time, IMO. Oh well.

However, what if I decide to work at a newspaper as a movie critic for a few years, or a magazine? Then I'll be glad I have this degree, because I'll need it according to them (which I feel is idiotic, but that is another issue entirely), so I'm just trying to look on the bright side now.

I guess my motto is:

I'll do it, just don't expect me to like it.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:06:28 AM
Jon, why don't you major in what you are most interested in. That is what I did I enjoy reading and studying history so I majored it, surely there is something that interests you other than movies, it doesn't even have to be a field that is good for jobs, because if you go into film school it doesn't really matter than, in that case, History, English, journalism, philosophy, art history, and sociology are all good major for this. The first three make you write which will help if you would work in screenwritting or publishing. Art history would be good because it works with visuals. I included the other two because they are general majors that are pretty easy to handle (Criminal Justice is another easy major but I think it is a boring one too, unless you are interested in that kind of thing). Now these are just suggestions, you have to decided what to major in on your own, and I said go with what interests you the most.

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:19:41 AM
Man did I have a blast in college. Some of the best years of my life! Finally being out on my own, paying for most of school by myself, meeting new people, learning and interacting with great professors, the parties, the girls, the great friends, college basketball games, my fraternity, meeting my wife, and I could go on and on and on...

It must be great to have learned NOTHING at all from teachers. Most people need to be TAUGHT how to read and write. :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:21:44 AM
I would drop out if it wasn't for how much money I've had to put in already. Oh yeah, and then that means I screwed up again. Im trying to do well at SOMETHING :)

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:47:06 AM
My college years were the best of my life. It was a constant 3 year party filled with all the bad things that mom told you to stay away from.
Then graphics school, now this. No more party. :(

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:59:08 AM
You're a bad, bad, man JMK. :smokin

Darth Viscera
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:08:59 AM
To add to the dour cacophany of rants...

I find that the more advanced the class, the more fun it is. I actually look forward to my HS151 class, the Fall of Rome to the late Renaissance, because my teacher is one smart SOB, he's funny as hell, and in general he allows people to spread their intellectual wings. He doesn't care if you're absent all semester (although I hate to miss even one period with this guy), so long as you do good on the exams. HS151 is truly a treat to attend.

My Photoshop class, AR112, is tolerable, but still a chore.

PS101, political science, is more of a chore. The teacher cares more about giving you busy-work than teaching you useful info.

Imagine that someone is holding your face down on a searing frying pan and telling you that if you say 2+2=orange they'll let you up. You then say that 2+2=orange, and they fry you even harder! This is what EN101 is like. The teacher must have just come from teaching middle school. "Remember boys and girls, if you have to go to the bathroom, you have to bring in a doctor's note, otherwise I'll mark you absent for the day." Honestly, it's like this woman has PMS 365 days a year. Ask a polite, respectful question, and you'll get a snotty, rude, loud, control freakish answer. Bah, I could go on all day about this idiot woman, but to be concise, if I ever find a large enough picture of her, it's going on my dartboard.

Even if I have to buy a dartboard.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:40:02 AM
I guess I better clarify, before I get labelled as a burnout hippie;
College was about all the things mom told you to stay away from, except drugs. Drugs are bad. :p

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:48:39 AM
Geez...I LOVED college. In fact, I wish I'd never graduated. ;)

Seriously my college years were the best time. I learned alot about differing subjects...and life in general. In fact at least half of my education was stuff outside of class.

Jonathan, I'd suggest joining a campus organization. It did wonders for me...gave me a purpose. Instead of being bored you'll have things to do every week. I knew ALOT of people who did this(other than ppl in MY organization) that this worked for. I found skills I didn't know I even had.

Just a friendly suggestion. :)

Jinn Fizz
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:35:02 PM
I've actually done a total of eight and a half years of college, believe it or not.

I've got a bachelor's degree in English with a writing emphasis, and I happened to graduate with that degree from LMU. I also successfully completed the college's honors program upon graduation. I liked most of my classes, except for this one non-fiction class where the professor gave me a C :p. I was even able to mix some of my SW fanfic writing into my degree...I took two classes that were taught by a woman who's written quite a few books, Carolyn See. I occasionally turned in some fanfic to help satisfy the weekly requirements for Carolyn's fiction-writing class, and she gave me some pretty positive feedback on it :).

After graduation, I followed my father into the aerospace field, working in the administrative end of it. It was a great field for him, but little did I know that the bottom would fall out of the aerospace market in the early 90's :(. I ended up being out of work for quite a while, and realized that I needed to change careers and find something with more of a future, and that's how I ended up in nursing.

I had to go back to school at the local community college and take lots of science classes, since my background had been liberal arts. I took anatomy, physiology, chemistry, microbiology, algebra, and a few other things. That took two and a half years, and then I went into the community college's nursing programs, which took me another 2 years to complete. Now I'm in a job where I feel like I make a difference in people's lives, and I make a mighty fine salary too.

I love going to school. If I had the time and the energy, I'd take one class at semester at the community college, just for the fun of it. I love to learn, and while you can find just about anything you want on the internet, it doesn't replace the potential exhilaration of interaction with other people, and the exchange of ideas and opinions.

Yes, college isn't for everyone, but I liked it. A lot. :)

JonathanLB
Oct 4th, 2002, 12:06:06 AM
I'd rather sit around on a movie forum and debate the value of modern comedies vs. golden era comedies or discuss why Spielberg is better than James Cameron or whatever else, hehe.

Learning is only fun so long as you are learning material that is, in fact, interesting. What is interesting depends on the person, but I'm not interested by math and science whatsoever, not interested in ancient literature unless it's philosophy, and pretty much don't care about a lot of stuff unless I can somehow relate to it personally. I mean, if it doesn't relate to my life, then what the hell? Why would I need it?

I like psychology a lot, it's pretty cool. Philosophy is great, and Carr, that's what I am: a philosophy major. So your advice, well, it's good but I already did that. :)

I have 5 classes now. Only 2 of them interest me whatsoever, and I only really like one so far (I think my Psych class will be good, though). The film class I am taking is GREAT, I love it. It's just awesome. But I'd just as soon take something like it a community college or whatever and just be a part time student, screw the rest, haha. I have no use for the degree, I just like the class.

A degree is supposed to make some sort of a point, and I don't care about that. Ultimately I just care about learning interesting things, and the grade in the class, the degree, that is all external from ACTUALLY LEARNING. If you learned something useful, who really cares what else happened? I don't need the degree, but I do need to be knowledgeable about film.

Jedieb, I never said I didn't ever learn from any teachers, haha, I'm talking about NOW, present, obviously when you are younger you need to learn things carefully and completely so you have the ability to go out on your own and seek knowledge.

As I said, I'm a victim of my superior education already. My high school was just FAR harder than college, and if you compared it to the very most difficult colleges, it is only a step behind. My friend at Cal. Tech. said of course that school is harder than Jesuit High School, but LMU was way easier, OSU is easier even than LMU (it's sick...).

Now don't get me wrong, you can make college as hard or as easy as you want, but I'm talking very generally here. As in, I am assuming that you are taking 15 credits per term, as that is standard and will finish you in 4 years, so you can't use any other basis for comparison or it wouldn't be fair (if you're graduating in 3.5 years, needless to say it'll be harder, just as if you were to do that for high school). I have to admit, as much as I disliked high school, as much as I had my problems with JHS, they did a very good job preparing me for college. Perhaps too good, even.

I think school is only about learning the value of hard work. Once that is learned, you have nothing more to learn, and everything more to learn. Nothing in the sense that you have just learned the most important aspect of your entire schooling. Everything in the sense that now that you know how to work hard, you must go out and actually work hard at things that make a difference, and through that, you will learn a great deal... the learning process never stops, I just happen to know for a fact that it mostly occurs outside of school, and beyond school.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:28:58 AM
I've actually done a total of eight and a half years of college, believe it or not.
Jinn is a burn out, Jinn is a burn out! ;)
My 6 semester Sophomore year was a monument to putting off the selection of a major while staggering around the beaches of Daytona, Panama City, and Clearwater Beach in a drunken stupor. Oh, and what JMK said, 'Drugs are bad.' Unless they're drugs like caffeine and alcohol. Those are the "good" drugs.

JMK
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:43:36 AM
Morphine is also good. When you really need it that is. :D

Jinn Fizz
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:15:09 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Jinn is a burn out, Jinn is a burn out! ;)

:lol :lol :lol

I could've done the nursing prereqs faster, but I was going to school while working at the same time (first shilling women's clothing at Sears :x , then as a nursing assistant), so I only took 1 or 2 classes a semester.

Eventually I might get a Bachelor's in Nursing, which would mean another 2 years of college, I think, or maybe even try being a nurse-practitioner, which is another year beyond a BSN. O_o

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 09:49:27 AM
Nurse-practitioner's do quite well, and they're always in demand. I should ask my wife about it, she works in a health care related field. Funny they don't just let you walk in from the street and do the job wihtout any education. But then again, it's one of those SERVICE related jobs that only saps take up. :rolleyes

Jinn Fizz
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:37:41 PM
;) ;) ;)