PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Playoffs: Make your picks

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:46:02 PM
I'm thinking we should just pick series, and not individual games. Here are the Divisional Series match ups:

American League Division Series
WIN New York vs. Anaheim
WIN Minnesota vs. Oakland

National League Division Series
WIN Atlanta vs. San Francisco
Arizona vs. St. Louis WIN

I was born a Yankee, I'll die a Yankee. Nuff said.

My upset special is Minnesota, for two reasons. One, I really think they can pull it off. Two, I don't want my Yankees to have to face that Oakland squad. That starting rotation is just scary.

I'm picking St. Louis for several reasons; they've got more offense, solid pitching, the D'Backs are without Gonzalez, and most importantly, I HATE THE COLANGELOBACKS!

The Braves should win, but you never know with them. It's going to be real interesting to see whether or not they pitch to Bonds. Mr. 196 career palyoff average is going to have to come up big. If he lays yet another playoff egg, especially at this stage in his career, it'll follow him for the rest of his life. That's what you get for posing and showing up pitchers everytime you hit one out. (Can you tell I'm not a big Bonds fan? :rolleyes )

Alright ladies and gents, step up to the plate and make your picks. One of the best months in sports is about to heat up! :crack

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:52:04 PM
Winners

Aneheim: Watched hem all year. Not really a fan, but out here it's either them or the Dodgers...so obviously not a choice. ;) They match up well against the Yanks.

Arizona: I'm taking the 2 big guns to win all their starts...so the D-Backs in 5.

Atlanta: Best overall pitching in baseball. For once they have a great bullpen too.

Minnesota: Gotta root for the ALMOST contracted team.

Doc Milo
Sep 30th, 2002, 11:33:13 PM
Yankees v. Angels. -- this one goes to the .... Yankees. I think the Angels can be intimidated by the atmosphere, especially October Baseball in Yankee Stadium. Plus, the intensity in the playoffs gets kicked into a higher gear. The Angels are a very good team, but it seems to me that they've played at their peak efficiency all year long. I don't think they have another gear to kick it into. The Yankees, on the other hand, with the experience they bring to the table, definitely have another gear or two to kick their play into. I pick Yankees in 4.

Oakland v. Minnesota -- As much as I want the Twins to pull a major upset, if only for the fact that everyone seems to forget they're there, and instead talk only about the A's, Angels, and Yankees as legitimate contenders for the AL crown, I don't think they will against the Big Three of Oakland's pitching staff. If, however, the Twins win one of the first two games, I think they have a legitimate chance of beating Oakland in four. My pick, however, is Oakland in three.

Diamondbacks v. Cardinals -- While it's difficult to pick against Johnson and Shilling, I think the Cardinals are playing with more heart right now. Motivated by their mid-season losses, I think they will play the toughest ball, willing themselves to win when it seems like it's against all odds. My pick is the Cards in five.

Giants v. Atlanta -- Atlanta fans don't deserve a team as good as the Braves are year in and year out. They won't even sell out the stadium, if previous years are any indication, and this is during a playoff series! I think this is the year that Bonds finally flips the playoff monkey off his back and comes up big. Giants in four.

JonathanLB
Sep 30th, 2002, 11:38:54 PM
I'll be content just watching, not picking. You saw how bad I'm doing on the NFL picks, haha.

My Yankees will win it all, though. Restore glory back to the empire! :)

JMK
Oct 1st, 2002, 06:53:57 AM
American League Division Series
WIN New York vs. Anaheim
Minnesota vs. Oakland WIN

National League Division Series
Atlanta vs. San Francisco WIN
Arizona vs. St. Louis WIN

Can't deny the Yankees.
Have you seen Oakland's starters?
Barry's gonna make his mark this time.
Cards to it for Darryl Kile.

Figrin D'an
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:22:40 AM
Angels vs. Yankees: New York is peaking at the right time, and they always seem to turn it up a notch once the postseason starts, so I'll pick the Yankees. I'd love to see Anaheim win it, but I think the West Race with Oakland and Seattle may have tired them out a little.

Minnesota vs. Oakland: I'll agree with Doc on this one. If the Twins can take one of the first two in Oakland, they can win the series. They're best chance to do that is in Game 1 against Hudson. The Twins do not hit lefty starters very well, which is why I ultimately think that Oakland will win, on the arms of Zito and Mulder.

San Francisco vs. Atlanta: As usual, the Braves have pitching... lots of it. It's hard to go against a solid staff and a good bullpen in a short series, but I really think the Giants can pull this one out. Atlanta won't be able to pitch around Bonds the entire series. While his postseason stats overall are not that great, Bonds is just coming off his best hitting season yet. I think he'll make the Braves pay a couple of times in this series. More so than Bonds though... Jeff Kent and Rich Aurilla have to have a good series to set up Barry to make the big hits. The Giants, like the Yankees, have been peaking at the right time. I'll take San Fran.

St. Louis vs. Arizona: Hard to go against Schilling and Johnson, since we all saw what they did last year, but the Cardinals have the pitching to stick with Diamondbacks, and they have a better lineup, especially after getting Scott Rolen a few months back. A good combo of young good hitters and veterens with post season experience. Arizona takes a huge hit with Gonzalez out until next year. On top of that, Schilling has not been all that dominant over the last month. He's only won 2 games I think, and has gotten shelled a couple of times. If he doesn't regain his typical form, Arizona will be in big trouble. I'm going with St. Louis, as I think they have a good enough lineup to exploit any mistakes from the Diamondback's Big Two.

JediBoricua
Oct 1st, 2002, 01:19:58 PM
Yankees in 4.
A's in 4 also.

Giants, just because I hate the Braves.
D'backs. When u have two monster for pitchers is tough not to win four games out of seven.

JMK
Oct 1st, 2002, 09:24:55 PM
Is everyone glued to their tv's or what??? Not much posting going on about the games tonight. I guess that's justifiable. It's been a good game so far and it looks like we're in for another good playoff season.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2002, 09:54:45 PM
Well I was pretty pleased with the Twins. The Halo's looked like they were gonna make me a genius tonight(since I'm the ONLY one who picked thaat upset).

It's still early in the late game.

jjwr
Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:55:53 AM
Not a huge baseball fan but here goes.

Angels vs Yankees: Probably the Yankee's but we can all hope its the Angels. Right now the last thing baseball needs is the $130 million payroll steam-rolling the lower salary teams who managed to get to the playoffs. And the strike didn't go on?

The rest

Oakland
Atlanta
St. Louis

World Series
St. Louis vs Oakland

Sene Unty
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:05:14 AM
Alrght I'm posting my picks...not much of a baseball fan though:

Yankees vs. Angels: Yankees (as much as I would love to see the Angels win...it wont happen)

Oakland vs. Twins: Twins (this is just a hope of mine. I want them to win :D)

Atlanta vs. Giants: Giants (I will never pick stupid-atlanta to win anything)

St. Loius vs. D'Backs: St. Louis (They are just better.)

Jedieb
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:06:45 AM
More playoff magic at Yankee Stadium!!!!!!! Man do I LOVE playoff baseball! There's no way I'm going to be able to stay up for any of the West Coast games. I just wish I could have seen some of the Twins and A's. All 3 of my picks won their first game so I'm off to a good start. The Braves/Giants start up tonight. Will they pitch to Bonds? Will the Braves be able to put up enough runs to get the ball to Smoltz?

I LOVE OCTOBER!!!!:crack :crack

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:11:44 AM
Yankees fans are all happy, but I just get utterly depressed when they get to the playoffs. When I see a gutsy team like the Angels, who IMO played a much better game than the Yankees lose, it's sad. Sure, there's some obvious magic to October baseball in New York, but the way the Yankees catch breaks AND have the best lineup ever is depressing. How is any team supposed to deal with that? Unless you're Schilling and Johnson? I loved the way the Angels played last night, they hit, they turned FOUR double plays on the Yankees, they manufactured runs, they hustled, and yet the Yankees beat them thanks to the long ball.
No justice.

:\

Jedieb
Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:09:34 PM
It's Yankee justice baby!!!:D

I was impressed with the Angles as well. They did play sound, fundamental baseball. I'm really impressed by Eckstein. That guy has MY build and he's a starting shortstop in the Show. He must have a hell of a canon for an arm to play short at that level. I'd have trouble playing 2nd, much less SS. But the Yankees won they way they've won all year, with the long ball. That wasn't a fluke. These last few years have been filled with clutch post season hits by one Yankee after another. It's been an amazing run. I remember watching Reggie as a kid hit 3 HR on 3 pitches, but this has been even more amazing. It does kind of bother me that the state of the game today doesn't allow for kids to experience the magic. I was able to watch the first couple of innings with the boy, but I had to ship him off to bed by 9. How are young kids suppose to get hooked if they can't see baseball at its best because the magic moments all take place after 11PM?

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:42:10 PM
Imagine if there were no east coast teams playing! It would be highlights the next afternoon.

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:14:31 PM
Sometimes it does pay to live out west. ;)

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:23:09 PM
"Probably the Yankee's but we can all hope its the Angels."

LOL, whatever. You can hope what you want, I'll hope the greatest team in baseball history wins every year :)

I would be happy if no team but the Yankees ever won. I only like watching the Yankees win, and I don't mind them having a good series, but screw the other teams. Yankees forever.

Jedieb
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:51:25 PM
THAT'S HOW YOU SNAP OUT OF AN 0-6 SLUMP!!!! :crack

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:57:23 PM
That's how to have a top of the 8th!!!!!

And here comes Percival!!!!

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:56:43 AM
:(

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:44:28 AM
:lol

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:21:48 AM
:shootin

Did you guys catch Buck's comment last night that the lineup the Yankees took into the playoffs is probably around $170M! Next year they'd have to give $55M to the general fund. Their tax is going to be higher than some team's payroll! As big a Yankee fan as I am, that just isn't fair; $170M to $30M. Even if you do work wisely, how long will you be able to keep your $30M success story before the Yanks come for your Jason Giambi?

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:41:02 AM
HEY!!!
Hands OFF Vladimir and Vidro!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:37:29 PM
Hopefully the luxury tax will prevent that, I think that is my problem with Baseball, the smaller teams can't compete.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:22:39 AM
The D'Backs are 0-2, all is right with the world. >D The price the Cards paid may have been too high however. Rolan may be out for the rest of the playoffs because of a fluke shoulder injury. Good grief, what ELSE does that team have to go through?

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:55:35 PM
A's took game 3 and are up 2-1 over the Twins. The Yankees put up 3 in the first inninng and we're in the second now.

Did you guys here about the jagoff DJ's in Arizona? Some classless IDIOT thought it would be funny to call Daryl Kyle's widow and ask her if she needed a date for the game the other night. The MORON DJ got her on the phone on the air and asked her out. She hung up on him of course. I love sharp and acerbic humor as much as anyone, but it's beyond me how ANYONE could possibly think that was funny. Tony LaRussa found out about it and was furious. He basically said that the DJ would have physical harm come to him if any of the Cardinal players got their hands on him. What as.................! :mad

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:58:37 PM
Oh my God...sometimes those sports radio talk show guys are just total dumbasses...and that takes the absolute cake!!

Doc Milo
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:44:39 AM
The Yankees blew a six to one lead and are now down two games to one. I have to admit, I was wrong about the Angels. They've really impressed me. They play a tight, fundamental game and don't beat themselves. They don't give their opposition any opportunities to beat them.

The Yankees tonight, though, had Mondesi out of position and he missed a ball that should have been caught, thus comitting an error that cost the Yanks the game. Used to be the Yanks were the team to pounce on any little mistake the other team gave them, and not make mistakes that cost them anything. Seems to me like a tide is turning.

These are the Yankees, and they usually find a way to win, despite any set-backs. But this year I'm just not as confident as in previous years....

JediBoricua
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:06:52 AM
Remember last year they were 0-2 against the A's, and manage to win twice in Oakland.

I picked the Yanks' to win, but if the Angels do it, great for baseball. But if I were Anaheim, I would not get too comfortable.

Wow, it seems all my picks are going the wrong way!

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:23:07 PM
It wasn't just Mondesi, Soriano and Giambi both had opportunities to make big defensive plays. Throw in the way the starters and the bullpen have let them down and we're in trouble. Wells is going to have to give them 6 or 7 solid innings today. This is really going to be a nail biter. >_<

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:17:16 PM
It looks like the continued defensive lapses by the Yankees are going to cost them big time. It's 5-2 the Angles still have an out to play with. Wells hasn't pitched poorly, it's just been one mistake after another. He's been out there longer than he had to have been and not it's cost him. They singled anohter run in and it's 6-2. Torre is finally pulling him. The Angles have made plays that saved runs, the Yankees haven't, plain and simple. >_<

darth_mcbain
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:19:23 PM
I'd really like to see the Angels take down the Yankees. I was born a Mets fan, that pretty much made me a Yankees hater. I've mellowed a bit, and I don't hate the Yankees all that much anymore. In fact they've got a great team and there are a lot of really good players there. I'm just tired of always seeing them do well in the post-season. I'd like to see some other teams get the chance.

Other than that, I don't really have too much preference for who comes away winning the whole thing. I think it would be neat to see Minnesota walk away with it, considering they were up for contraction. I don't know how likely that is, but it would be interesting...

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:30:07 PM
Ooooooooooooooh mama that was a great inning! Probably the best inning of hitting I've ever seen. There wasn't anything that Wells could throw that the Angels couldn't hit. Soriano's 2 errors in this game are gonna loom large, especially the one in the 5th.

Joy! :rollin

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:02:10 PM
Say hello to my little friend JMK! :shootin

Bases loaded for the Yanks...

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:59:33 PM
:cry

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:06:09 PM
Say hello to my sweet smelling lady friend...her name?

Victory!!!!!!:angel

:D

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:10:26 PM
Die foul Red Sox fan, DIIIEEEEE!!!! :shootin

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:12:40 PM
*Looks around*

I was the only one to call that series correctly. Go me. ;)

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:16:02 PM
Hey just because the Expos hardly exist doesn't automatically make me a Red Sox fan! :p ;)

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:21:07 PM
The Yanks are gone so I've got to pick someone to root for. I'm going with the following 3;
1. Cards
2. Twins
3. Braves

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:23:49 PM
I'm one for one so far. My Atlanta pick looks good...the AZ one looks bad...and Minnesota can go either way. ;)

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:26:26 PM
Now that the Yanks are out, I'm hoping the Braves and D-Backs follow them. I can't stand them either, although maybe I should start finding ways to at least tolerate the Braves as I may be moving to Georgia next year.

I'd like to see the Cards win, but I'd especially like to see the Twins win, just to stick it to Selig. Seeing one of the Cailfornia teams win it would be nice too.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:32:30 PM
I am glad I didn't say anything :rolleyes. Seriously I am routing between the Twins and Angels, both are underdogs and either winning the world series would be a heck of a story.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:36:46 PM
I'd root for the Cards because of everything they've had to go through this year. The Twins because it would be a big smack in the face to Selig. The Braves because it would just be sad to see them lose the big one yet AGAIN. All the other teams can just rot!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:37:42 PM
JMK where are you moving to in Georgia? I live across the border and I also might be going to school in GA next year, so I am just curious how close you will be to me.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:38:25 PM
I sense bitterness toward Arizona and the Angels.

Not sur what you have against Oakland...they never lost to the Yanks. ;)

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:38:31 PM
Maybe Giambi is to blame for the Yanks woes this playoff year. He's been to the post season for the past 3 years, but has yet to make it past the first round.

Update: 2-2 D-Backs & Cards. :)

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:43:41 PM
I'm only an hour from the NC border. Maybe one day we can all catch a Braves game together. 3 of us could probably double the attendance at a typical Braves game. :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:57:07 PM
LOL, yeah we might just, that could be fun. Also I am praying the Celebration 3 will be in the southeast (Atlanta would be perfect) if it is I will be there in a heartbeat.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:01:20 PM
Well a certain number of factors come into play here. My dad's company's head office is in Conyers, GA, which he travels to on almost a weekly basis. They're on the threshold of a major downsizing in North America, and the plants that would remain open are in New Jersey, Conyers (Atlanta), Cleveland and Austix, TX. He has the choice to go to any of those he choses, but I imagine he would pick the head office, as that is where he's most familiar, and it would probably be the last to close. But he has to decide that at 55 whether or not he wants to uproot his whole life and move to another country. Secondly, I have to decide if I want to go with my parents, and if my dad's company will get me a green card. But once I got my green card, I wouldn't necesarily stay in Georgia. I'd definetly like to stay in one of the northeastern states, but Virginia, North Carolina and as high up as Vermont (as its close to Montreal) are all high on my list of places to go if I don't want to stay in Georgia. But getting back to the original question JMC, I'd be going to somewhere pretty close to Atlanta, I don't know how close you are to the city.

Anyone want to make a sales pitch about their state so that I would consider spending my money there? ;)

Criteria: Sports (and lots of em! Especially softball leagues to play in), job market, chicks (hey, I'm not married yet!) and climate. I.E. I don't want the roof of my home ripped off my head!

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:01:57 PM
Nah, Celebration 3 needs to be out in Los Angeles. ;)

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:05:44 PM
As a resident of VA I have to say... STAY AWAY!!!! If you're looking for excitement and big city life, SW Virginia is the LAST place you want to go. It's perfect for me and my wife, we like the slow pace, but it's not for everybody. Atlanta has enough lights to keep you interested. I hear Charlotte isn't too bad either.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:09:53 PM
Late nights and city life no longer turn my crank. Being near a big city is almost a negligible factor, except for the fact that all big league teams are in big cities. Most of my excitement now is derived from sports, so right now, that would be #1. Oddly enough.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:10:15 PM
I am about 3 hours from Atlanta but I might be goint to school at the University of GA next year, maybe, if so that would only be an hour from you. Now Conyers is a nice town, a suberb of Atlanta, so there is still excitement but less crime (Atlanta is the crime capital of the World by the way) The climate is hot in the summer and mild in the winter, there is little chance you will lose your roof unless you decided to live on the coast of SC or NC than your chances increase. I can't push you for SC there is not much here to do, I would like to leave myself because of that reason.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:14:41 PM
Charlotte is a pretty decent sports town. Atlanta has the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons. Again, I wanted a small out of the way place, but those 2 cities aren't to bad. There's also the tidewater region of VA. You've got D.C., Virginia Beach, and Anapolis isn't far away either.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:18:53 PM
Wow, so much to consider. I almost went through this last summer, except Austin was the intended target, but that never materialized. I'd also go to Northern California and camp out at Lucasfilm and beg for a graphics job. But I think I'd be much more at ease in the east.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2002, 05:52:51 PM
Well the Twins won barely and now move on to play the Angels, really I think the A's messed up, idiot Howe pitched there best pitcher Zito on the last day, why didn't he save him for game 1? They would have won that game and they probably game 2 aand would have walked into the ALCS now they are going home. Now this series should be interesting, the Twins have the home edge and if they win it they would face one of the two teams they beat in the World Series and again they would get the home edge since the American League gets this year.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:30:40 PM
I'm 2 for 3 so far. Only my foolish D0Backs pick is making me look bad. ;)

JMK
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:56:22 PM
My predicting has sucked so far, and as much as I want the Braves to lose, I still think they're going to come away with the series. Which sucks even more, because they've now got probably the best pitching of the remaining teams. Everyone else's is good at best.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2002, 08:58:41 PM
Here's where everybody stands so far:
Jedieb 2-1
CMJ 2-1
Doc 1-2
JMK 1-2
Figrin 1-2
JediBoricua 0-3
jjwr 1-2
Sene 2-1

Funny that no one has a shot at going 4-0, you would have thought somebody would have picked them all.

JediBoricua
Oct 6th, 2002, 10:44:47 PM
Well I still have a chance at 0-4! God I'm sucking...

I'm now rooting for the Cards!

and I hope the Giants pull of win #3, so at least I wont go 0-4.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:38:49 PM
Wow did Barry just smash that ball. 2-0 Giants. Too bad no one else has been at bat when he was up.

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2002, 08:04:40 PM
They're playing tonight? I thought the game was tomorrow. Time to start flipping...

JMK
Oct 7th, 2002, 08:14:54 PM
Uh-oh. 2 on, 2 out and Sheffield at the plate. Please get him out Ortiz! :(

JMK
Oct 7th, 2002, 10:22:52 PM
Wow, that was an awesome finish for the Giants! What a great double play!
Send the Braves back to where they belong! Suckas!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2002, 10:40:48 PM
Well you got your wish JMK :) Now that the Braves are gone, the four best teams are out, the Angels have the best record of the teams that are left, but really its wide open now.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2002, 10:50:09 PM
Man..I did well with American League and struck out with the National.

JonathanLB
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:00:20 PM
The four best teams are gone, yup. The Yankees were the league's best team and they're gone, how gay. I don't much care about the rest now. It's very disappointing. Yankees forever.

I am happy the Giants won, though. That's nice to see. I'll be rooting for them now, and I've always hated the Braves, as should everyone, much like the Cowboys. If you live in Atlanta, you are forgiven for liking them, but otherwise... no. The Braves are evil.

I do like Sheffield though, but to me he is not a Brave, he's a Florida Marlin from when they won the World Series :)

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:02:49 PM
See I'm of the opinion the YANKEES are the Cowboys of baseball. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:13:01 PM
The Yankees are the most hated team in baseball, its partly because they have won so much that fans of other teams get tired of it. Having George Steinbrenner as an owner doesn't help though. I found this on ESPN.com, it listes the 10 greatest moment for those that hate the yankees.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/yankeehaters.html

Doc Milo
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:13:45 PM
I guess we have to call this the Year of the Underdog, since all the teams that won the Division Series were underdogs.

Now, which of the Underdogs will win the League Championship Series.

My picks:

I'm going to forget what logic tells me, that got me a 2-2 record for the Division Series (wrong on the AL and correct on the NL) so now I'm just going to pick who I want to win.

ALCS: Twins. I was all set to root for the Angels, since they've impressed me during the course of the Division Series, but my heart tells me to go with the almost contracted team (not because I'm against contraction. I'm not. I think contraction is necessary in baseball; but because the reasoning behind contracting the Twins was shady at best) But I think it would be nice to see the Twins get it -- since all the analysts gave them absolutely no shot going into the Division Series to do anything.

NLCS: Cards. I want to see them get to the big show because of all the tragedy they've been through this year.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:17:21 PM
Great article Carr!! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:19:37 PM
That is who I think will make it to the WS too, I would like to see the Twins get there and win it because it would really make Selig look like and even bigger idiot if that is possible. I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels win though because they are the only team left who has never won a World Series, of course the Giants have won on in 47 years which is bad too.

JonathanLB
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:11:29 AM
The only reason anyone has to hate the Yankees is because they win all of the time. Anyone with any degree of intelligence must admit that's a pretty sorry reason.

The reason I hate the Cowboys is not because they win all of the time, uhh, my team has a much more glorious history than the Cowboys (the Niners have won more Super Bowls, been a better team more consistently, and were the first ever to FIVE championships). The reason I USED to hate the Cowboys, and now don't hate them, just sort of don't care about them, is because I didn't like the players. They were constantly in trouble with the law and they were like the Blazers when we had Isaiah Rider and all of those guys, then I called my own team the "Jail Blazers," and we called their team plane CON-AIR, because that's what it was! LOL. That's why I hated the Cowboys, it has/had nothing to do with their winning Super Bowls.

I also think Troy Aikman is a bit arrogant, but he's not a bad guy. I don't hate him. He was a great player.

Also someone like John Elway, I didn't much like him when I first started watching football seriously. I thought he was a loser, and he was. He lost 3 Super Bowl's, and to me, that makes you a loser if you play poorly in 3 games that REALLY MATTER. But then he proved how much heart he has and that he is really one of the greatest QBs of all time, and he won two in a row, and I was VERY happy to see him win. I never rooted against him, and actually was just hoping to hell they could beat Green Bay that first year, and they did. I don't just give people respect, no matter their title or anything, they need to earn it. I felt that Elway deserved my respect after just that first Super Bowl win even, and after the second, he deserved a place in my list of the greatest of all time. Plus, he is humble, nice, and seems like a good guy.

Just the same as I have more respect for Favre than Warner just because I think Favre is one tough SOB, and although I've rooted against GB a lot because they are such rivals to the Niners, I have always just grinned at Favre's success because you have to hand it to him, the guy is just one tough dude.

So the Yankees, anyone remember seeing the article about them in like 1996? Easily one of the best behaved, greatest bunch of guys that has ever worn the same team uniform. They were nice, courteous, and just a great bunch of individuals, besides being the best. That's the type of team that deserves to be champions. I do, however, think Clemens is one mean SOB, haha. He's a great one, I love watching him pitch, but I don't understand what he was thinking with that once incident a while back. Very poor sportsmanship...

Then again, I remember when people thought Terrell Owens was such a poor sport for spinning the football on the Cowboys logo, hahahahahahahahaahahahahaha! I will never forget that. I love Owens, I was just laughing my -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- off when that happened, screw the Cowboys, that was a CLASSIC football moment. It was worth whatever fine he got because that just kicked butt. It did no harm to anyone and wasn't malicious, it was just the competitive nature of the game. Some people take things way too seriously. The game is all about competition and demoralizing your opponents.

See, unlike some people, I happen to like WINNERS. I do not respect losers, and in fact I HATE losers. They breed more losers, and losers are not fun to watch. The Blazers, for instance, they are losers. When it counts, they haven't been able to come through, and I will support my own team, but I still think they are losers. The Bulls were winners, and I loved watching them, and the Yankees are WINNERS, and I happen to enjoy watching winners. At least most years I don't have to be disappointed in the Yankees. I'm a bit disappointed this year, but not that much. I mean... uhh... the other teams didn't even make the playoffs, that is disappointing, but some years, it is yours, some years, it just doesn't happen. So you can't expect them to win every year, but I don't believe you can make a case for the Yankees being unfair in their competition. After all, the A's were one of the lowest paid teams and they made the playoffs, and they made it no further than the higher paid Yankees. That is all another argument, though, and ESPN had a great article on it a while back. Money has little to do with it, the Yankees are just a smart ball club that makes good decisions.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:07:28 AM
See, unlike some people, I happen to like WINNERS. I do not respect losers, and in fact I HATE losers.

That may be the most arrogant, narrow-minded view point I've read anywhere in my entire life.

People hate the Yankees because they have SO much money that they gobble up every good player, and then sit them mostly so that others can't have them. That's not fair, and I don't care how you want to defend that, or what kind of spin you want to put on it. It's what makes people hate the Yankees. I essentially hate the Braves for the same reason I hate the Yankees, but with the Braves, I hate them a little more because I can't stand alot of the jerks that they have. If you're just going to associate yourself with winning teams with past glory, then that's pretty sad. Anyone who's ever been a sportsman would agree.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:15:53 AM
Jonathan....check the stats again....San Francisco and Dallas have each won 5 SuperBowls(yes San Francisco won 5 first but Dallas won their 5th the very next year AND they've appeared in EIGHT). :p

The Cowboys have a tradition of excellence that goes back to the 60's. I'd say they have a pretty damn glorious history.

Mind you this is coming from someone who HATES the Cowboys. I grew up in the DFW and have hated them since I was a kid....but you can't knock their history.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:27:33 AM
I finally decided to do some research on it:

http://www.superbowl.com/xxxvi/history/sbstandings.html

Sure the Niners are perfect in Superbowls, but this is only counting the Super Bowl era.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:31:47 AM
Yeah...I also agree with Kyle, saying you only support winners is sad. But I won't say anymore on that......

BACK TO BASEBALL!

I like the Twins and the Cards. I need to improve my 2-2 record. ;)

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:40:39 AM
Go giants, great game last night!

Since I'm doing no good in the picks i'm going against the crowd and saying Giants and Angels for the Big Show. A west coast series!

On the other hand, it is kinda good that the Yanks and the Braves lost, now we have a chance to have Bernie Williams, Posada and Javi Lopez playing in our winter league!

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:45:16 AM
I feel bad for anyone who hates THEMSELVES. I mean, if you come in last place in a simple little football pool then wouldn't that make YOU a loser? Think of all the ways a person could be defined as a loser;
Can't get a date? LOSER
Don't have many friends? LOSER
Can't play the game? LOSER
Are you so insecure you have grab on to whatever team happens to be winning at that particular moment despite not having ANY meaningful connection to that team whatsoever? LOSER

:rolleyes

I grew up watching the Yankees with my Grandfather and I lived across the Hudson River in Jersey for years. Yankee Stadium is a palace to me. As tough as it was to be a Yankee fan during the Winfield and Mattingly years, I still rooted for them. You knew they'd make it back eventually. That's why I respect Cubs and Red Sox fans so much. It takes GUTS to root for your team even when you know failure haunts you like a ghost that can't let go. But rooting for a team just because they win? That's just plain sad.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:50:03 AM
On the subject of winners, neither the Niners nor the Cowboy have the most NFL championships, the Packers do. The NFL did not begin with the Superbowl. Off the top of my head I'd say the 2 franchises with the highest winning peprcentages are the Raiders and the Cowboys. But it sure isn't the Niners. The Niners had entire decades where they sucked.

ALCS
Twins (rootin' for the small market team)
NLCS
Cards (I hate Bonds and I think the Cards have shown a lot of guts this year.)

I kind of hope one of my teams don't come through. I want someone to root against in the WS. A Twins Cards matchup would be heartbreaking.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:50:05 AM
Insecurity....that's what it is...

Anyway, I like the Giants over the Rolen-less Cards and the Twins over the Angels in another long series. Actually, I expect both series to be long ones...

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:01:04 AM
Jedieb 2-2
CMJ 2-2
Doc 2-2
JMK 2-2
Figrin 2-2
JediBoricua 1-3 (The Giants saved you!)
jjwr 1-3
Sene 3-1 (You're the DEVIL aren't you?)

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:25:43 AM
He's certainly on fire with his predictions lately. Especially when you count the NFL pool. Must be because he's a Dolphins fan. :p

Let's not tell him about the box office contests! ;)

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:27:13 AM
Thanks for the reminder Eb...;) You are too kind.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:31:00 AM
How many titles did the Bears win? I know they dominated the 50's under Halas but wasn't sure how many they had.

Doc Milo
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:44:53 PM
See, unlike some people, I happen to like WINNERS. I do not respect losers, and in fact I HATE losers. They breed more losers, and losers are not fun to watch.

Just a question: Did you hate the Yankees in the early 90s when they were one of the worst teams in baseball, before Showalter and Gene Michael came in and rebuilt them into what they are today?

Sene Unty
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:56:41 PM
Oh damn I was 3-1!!! I AM THE DEVIL >D I am so happy with how this has gone down....this is great! No Atlanta and the Yankees are gone (I like the yankees, but I'm am tired of them winning)

My picks now:

Angels vs. Twins- Angels

Giants vs. St. Louis- St. Louis

Oh and how does the box office contest work???:D

Maelstorm
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:04:01 PM
sene all your picks are going to lose

Maelstorm
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:04:57 PM
:D

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:21:52 PM
I think he started loving them when he saw they had more titles than anyone else. The names Showalter and Michael are probably unknown to him. Remember Bob White? He was a hell of a GM IMO.

But here's some NFL playoff history:
The postseason records of all NFL teams, ranked by number of playoff games participated in from 1933–2001.

Gm W L Pct PF PA
53 Dallas Cowboys 32 21 .604 1271 979
40 San Francisco 49ers 24 16 .600 999 784
40 Oakland-LA Raiders 23 17 .575 936 715
40 Cle-LA-St.L Rams 18 22 .450 703 848
40 Minnesota Vikings 17 23 .425 779 913
39 Miami Dolphins 20 19 .513 780 848
38 Pittsburgh Steelers 22 16 .579 845 741
37 Boston-Wash. Redskins 22 15 .595 778 642
36 New York Giants 16 20 .444 609 660
34 Green Bay Packers 23 11 .676 814 618
30 Cleveland Browns 11 19 .367 596 692
29 Buffalo Bills 14 15 .483 681 658
29 Chicago Bears 14 15 .483 598 585
28 Denver Broncos 16 12 .571 616 657
27 Houston Oilers/Ten. Titans 12 15 .444 471 626
25 Philadelphia Eagles 12 13 .480 478 449
22 Balt-Indianapolis Colts 10 12 .455 393 431
20 Boston-NE Patriots 10 10 .500 370 404
19 Dallas Texans/KC Chiefs 8 11 .421 301 384
18 LA-San Diego Chargers 7 11 .389 332 428
17 Detroit Lions 7 10 .412 365 404
14 New York Jets 6 8 .429 284 285
12 Cincinnati Bengals 5 7 .417 246 257
10 Atlanta Falcons 4 6 .400 208 260
10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 3 7 .300 100 201
8 Jacksonville Jaguars 4 4 .500 208 200
8 Seattle Seahawks 3 5 .375 145 159
7 Chi-St.L.-Ari. Cardinals 2 5 .286 122 182
6 Baltimore Ravens 5 1 .833 125 53
6 New Orleans Saints 1 5 .167 103 185
2 Carolina Panthers 1 1 .500 39 47

My, my, look what losers are at the top? ;) In all honesty, the numbers are skewed because of the Superbowl era in which more playoff games were played. If you just go by Championships then this is what I found;

Green Bay 12
Bears 9
Giants 6
Cowboys 5
Niners 5 (They've been in the league since 46)
Browns 4
Steelers 4

All of those teams were in the old NFL, but the Cowboys are the youngest having entered the NFL in 1960.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:23:04 PM
What box office contest? :uhoh
Move along, nothing to see here....

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2002, 01:25:46 PM

JMK
Oct 8th, 2002, 02:19:16 PM
Nice research there Jedieb! :thumbup

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2002, 06:42:00 PM
You americans and your football... :rolleyes

Nah kidding, i've come to love the game also. I really like the strategy to it, at first glance it seems like a brute game, but after understanding you find beauty in almost every game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:28:23 PM
Ah the Box office Contest, well wait till Nov and you will see, honestly I don't think it takes much skill well except for Yog who seems to have a system going.

Sene Unty
Oct 9th, 2002, 08:29:03 AM
Oh so I'm not allowed to compete in the box office contest????:D

I dont really want to...I really can't guess that good......

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:06:43 AM
Twins looked impressive last night. That's gonna be a great series.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:15:19 AM
Take away that error and the Twins really handcuffed the evil, diabolical Angles. Angles, what a foul name for team so obviously playing on behalf of the Devil himself!!!! I'm not bitter, I'm not bitter....

I can't wait to see if the Cards are going to pitch to Bonds tonight. I really think they need to challenge him in Busch stadium. That park is massive and I think they may get away with a few mistakes there.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:16:18 AM
Both series look like good matchups. I wonder if Barry is going to continue having a decent post-season or if the Cards will pitch around him?

As for last night's game, imagine if Guzman had not made that error? The Angels would have been shutout and looked horrible. Instead, they get an unearned run and the game is a nail biter. I haven't had a chance to see the Twins, but I believe that they are baseball's best defensive team.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:26:40 AM
Kyle, they ARE baseball best defensive teeam. I think there are like 4 potential gold glovers playing for them this year.

I LOVE their fans too. :)

jjwr
Oct 9th, 2002, 11:30:13 AM
You mean there was football before the Superbowl? Blasphemy!!! I'll hear none of this!

Cowboys, Niners, both good teams who had some very good runs. Cowboys had a run of players with some serious issues but if I recall the Niners had a front office(or was it the owners?) who were just as bad.

I'm curious what the list is since the Superbowl Era, I know the Cowboys, Steelers and Bronco's, 49ers have all been in a ton but really not sure which other teams made a serious show of it.

I know my Pats are 1-2 in Superbowls and all 3 were played in New Orleans, sadly the SB this year is not in New Orleans so by default that means they won't make it. Gotta get Tagliabue to put another one down there so the Pats will go again!

Sene Unty
Oct 9th, 2002, 12:05:35 PM
The Twins were great last night. Mays pitched a fantastic game. I had to keep flipping it on to see what had happened next. A real close one.......

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:52:28 PM
I'm curious what the list is since the Superbowl Era, I know the Cowboys, Steelers and Bronco's, 49ers have all been in a ton but really not sure which other teams made a serious show of it.

Man, when I was a kid I use to know all these off the top of my head. But, here's what I can remember;

Cowboys 5-3
Niners 5-0
Steelers 4-1
Packers 3-1
Broncos 2-4
Dolphins 2-3
Pats 1-2
Bears 1-0
Raiders 3-0 (Beat the Redskins, the Eagles, and the Vikings I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Speaking of the Vikings )
Vikings 0-4
Bungles 0-2
Those are most of the teams with multiple appearances I think. There's a bunch of 1-0 and 0-1 teams like the Jets and Chiefs (both 1-0 I believe.)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:38:26 PM
I looked it up here are all the records
Cowboys 5-3
Niners 5-0
Steelers 4-1
Packers 3-1
Broncos 2-4
Dolphins 2-3
Pats 1-2
Bears 1-0
Raiders 3-1 (They lost to GB in SB 2)
Vikings 0-4
Bungles 0-2
Washinton 3-2
St. Louis 1-3
Ny Giants 2-1
The Colts 1-1
Kansas City 1-1
Buffalo 0-4
I am not going to include the 1-0's it would take a long time

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2002, 06:30:33 AM
I totally blanked on the Rams and Bills. I can't remember a 3rd Rams loss though (Steelers, Pats, and ?) Also, who did the Giants lose to? I thought they won all their Superbowls.

JMK
Oct 10th, 2002, 06:58:47 AM
Didn't the Bills lose to the Giants or Chiefs?

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2002, 08:27:29 AM
Damn I used to have all the SuperBowl scores memorized...in order. I'm not QUITE as good anymore, BUT I'm still pretty good.

Eb, the Giats lost to the Ravens 2 years ago. ;) As far as the Rams, I THINK Carr got it wrong...they've only appeared in 3 SuperBowls that I can think of(lost to the Steelers 31-19, beat Tennessee 23-16 and then lost last year).

Kyle...yes is SuperBowl XXV the Bills lost 20-19 to the Giants in the best SuperBowl of them all(for my money anyways).

Back to Baseball. Both my picks got drubbed last night. :p

darth_mcbain
Oct 10th, 2002, 09:16:58 AM
I am pulling for the Cardinals. I don't know what it is, but I don't really like the Giants this year and I'd like to see the Cards get a shot. Did anyone see that scuffle in the Cards-Giants game yesterday? I unfortunately missed it but caught it on the replay.

As for the AL, I was initially for the Twins, but I think I'm gonna pull for the Angels. The Twins just aren't doing too much for me this series. Both are teams without a whole lot of post-season history, so I wish them both well, but I'll be hoping for a Cards-Angels World Series.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2002, 07:12:28 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot about the Ravens/Giants. All I could think about was Parcells, Simms, Bavaro, LT, etc... That Collins team didn't even belong in that game. One of the worst Superbowls I've ever seen. I'm pretty about the Rams now. They may have some other NFL championships, but they've only got 3 Superbowl appearances.

The Angles have evened things up win a win earlier today and the Giants are up 1-0 with St. Louis up to bat in the bottom of the 3rd. I'm watching VA Tech and BC, but I'll be checking in on the baseball game every now and then.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2002, 08:45:24 PM
That was a typo, I meant 2 and posted 3.

Sene Unty
Oct 11th, 2002, 12:47:14 PM
Damn Cardinals aren't winning!!!!!! They need to win for my omnipresent picking ability to prove true!! IT CAN"T BE A ONE TIME DEAL!!!

JediBoricua
Oct 11th, 2002, 10:14:53 PM
Hehehe, go Giants!

:evil

JediBoricua
Oct 13th, 2002, 09:59:26 PM
Well well well, it seems the Giants are going to the World Series...just 1 more. So you'll give the base to Barry, no problem Benito will make you pay!!!

And the Angels, well they have the rally monkey on their side so they are unbeatable. They batted .450 for the game, Impressive, most impressive! :rollin

Everything is going as I had forseen it...

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2002, 10:14:00 PM
Well, if the Giants win it'll make me 0-2. I really don't know who to root for in a Giants/Angels series. I guess I'll go with the Giants. As much as Bonds annoys me, it's not fair for Hall of Famers to have incredible careers but get denied. He's come through so far this postseason, he's earned it.

jjwr
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:27:39 AM
I'm still rooting for the Angels in a Giants vs Angels series. I don't really care for Bonds and HOF'er or not I don't want him to him it. There are much better people then him in Pro Sports who have played full careers and missed out on the championship.

darth_mcbain
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:52:56 AM
Yeah, if it ends up Giants-Angels, which looks probable, I'm definitely going for the Angels. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like Bonds, and I'm not too big on the Giants in general anyway. It will be nice for the Angels to come away with it - they haven't had much in the way of post-season action during their history - they're due.

I still hope the Cards can pull it out though - what an opportunity last night in the ninth inning - they almost tied it up.

Sene Unty
Oct 14th, 2002, 08:18:27 AM
Everytime they show Kiles kid I feel like crying. Did you see after the game they won, they let him slide in at home. Its so sad.

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2002, 08:42:48 AM
ATTENTION San Francisco and St. Louis: Rule to beat the Angels...your starter has to go 8 innings at the least.

They destroyed the bullpen of Minnesota...if not for that the Twins would still be playing.

Doc Milo
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:40:52 AM
In a Giants/Angels World Series, I'm definitely going for the Angels.

I pulled for the Giants in the Division Series because I hate Atlanta more. But ... if there is one team of the final four that I can't abide winning, it's the Giants.

I was able to root for the Twins because of the whole contraction deal.

I was able to root for the Cards because of the Daryl Kile angle.

I can root for the Angels for three reasons: (1) They beat the Yankees, and therefore, if they win the World Series I can at least say that we were beaten by the WS Champs. (2) They've never been to or won a World Series. (3) They've impressed me with their play thus far: good, tight, fundamental baseball.

There is no reason I can think of to root for the Giants.

There are several reasons I can think of to root for them to lose in a heartbreaking manner, though....

Jedieb
Oct 14th, 2002, 01:02:42 PM
I can root for the Angels for three reasons: (1) They beat the Yankees, and therefore, if they win the World Series I can at least say that we were beaten by the WS Champs.
Ughh, that's why I CAN'T root for the Angels. Just seeing them smack bullpens around brings back painful memories. Maybe I'll get lucky and the Cards will pull off the comeback. Otherwise, this is going to be a hard series to watch. I'll be so busy moving that I may not even bother to watch.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:36:07 AM
I wonder what time these games will played? Will we be able to see them in the East? I don't know who I'm rooting for. Probably the Angels because they play such good ball, but also the Giants because as much as I dislike Bonds' arrogance, I don't want the best player of our era going down as a playoff bust. He's done alot this playoff year to remove that label from himself, but the critics won't be happy until he wins a ring and shuts them up.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:20:40 AM
Should be a great series...though I'm now 2-4 picking wise. :(

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:28:22 AM
I went 0-2 on the Championship series as well so I'm at 2-4 also. Without looking at the numbers I'd guess Sene's deal with the devil has carried him to the top here as well.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:30:48 AM
Two, count'm, two Wildcards in the series! Baseball purists are rolling over in their graves.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:55:19 AM
I'm 3-3 now. I got the Giants right, but not the Twins. I was way off there...

I'm not picking the World Series winner just yet. I have to look at the matchups a bit closer, but off the bat I'd say one of the California teams will take it. :)

Sene Unty
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:04:53 AM
Well I dropped the ball in my picks.....now I'm 3-3....damn!

For the WS I'm going with Anaheim....I picked them to lose twice now and they've burned me both times.....I will not make it a third :D

So Anaheim in 6.........just a guess though! :D

CMJ
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:28:12 AM
I'm picking the Halo's too.

Jedieb
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:57:16 AM
I just don't know who to go with. Just by the numbers, the Angels seem to hitting so well that they could easily win in 5 or even a sweep. As much as I'm tempted to root for Bonds, I like him less and less the more he opens his mouth. Everytime I look at him I'm STUNNED by how little his current body resembles the one he had as a Pirate. He may not have taken steroids, but you know he cranked himself full of as many supplements as he could afford. He looks like a linebacker playing baseball. Ahh, I'll say the Angels in 6, and Bonds will probably go deep at least twice.

JMK
Oct 16th, 2002, 11:15:02 AM
I'm gonna go against the grain and say Giants in 6. Reason? I think they have a bit more playoff experience and I think that will come through and bite the Angels this time, even though it didn't hurt them one bit vs the Yankees.

Doc Milo
Oct 16th, 2002, 11:26:53 AM
I'm 2-4 as well.

I'm going with the Angels as well. They'll lose the first game, again, and win four of the next five to take it in six.

The thing that has impressed me about the Angels is when they get the opponent down to the elimination game, they show killer instinct, and knock them out right then and there...

Sene Unty
Oct 16th, 2002, 12:14:19 PM
I think they'll drop the first one, then rally to win two more. Drop the fourth game and win the next two. And that rally monkey is the funniest thing I have ever seen......:D

JediBoricua
Oct 16th, 2002, 12:47:19 PM
Well I'm going for the Giants in 6, just a hunch...

CMJ
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:06:42 PM
The first two games were really good. Giants get the split....

Looks like a highly competitive series.

JediBoricua
Oct 20th, 2002, 11:01:28 PM
I think this has been one of the most entertaining games I have ever seen! It was great watching it with my brother. He is rooting for the Angels, i'm going with the Giants! It was great! I hope the whole series runs like toning (although better pitching would be appreciated!), it would be a great way to end a great season!

CMJ
Oct 20th, 2002, 11:05:31 PM
I prefered Game 1 and the pitcher duel(I am a pitching and defense man) but Game 2 was fun too.

Jedieb
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:00:19 AM
I'm kind of sorry I missed most of the game. The recaps I've read made it seem as if it was unbelievable. We're so busy packing and moving that I was just too spent to sit down and watch the game last night. I did see the Giants take the lead at 8-7 and then watched the Angles tie it up. I really don't think the Giants will sweep at home. This series should go 6 or 7 and the ratings should improve as the tension builds.

JMK
Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:09:58 AM
Are the Angels scared of Bonds or what? They walk him in his first 3 at bats, pitch to him in the 9th and he homers. This guy is so dominating. He's even a factor when they decide to walk him...

JediBoricua
Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:19:37 PM
That homer sure was impressive, it was his way of saying, you beat me tonight but I'll see YOU at SF! The camera even lost track of it.

JMK
Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:59:01 PM
485 feet I think was the measurement. That is sick. But Percival has been saying the balls are wound tighter and are harder to grip.

JediBoricua
Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:15:40 PM
Whatever it is, it was an awesome shot.

The swing was flawless.

Jedieb
Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:42:40 PM
The Angles have just gone up 4-1. I swear, they've been one of the best post season hitting teams I've ever seen. They just rattle off hit after hit at times. SF has proven they can bounce back so this game is far from over. Especially when you consider Bonds is getting on base just about everytime he steps to the plate.

Sene Unty
Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:24:43 AM
Well the Angels won last night and are now leading the series 2-1.......just like I said would happen :D......now they will lose the next game and rally to win the last two......in 6 baby!

But man what a performance at the bat from the Angels.....who would have guessed they could hit like that?? they went around the batting order back-2-back in two innings and left 15 men stranded throughout the whole game and STILL WON!!! That is impressive. :D Oh and Bonds as now homered in all three games of the series! That is something.......

JMK
Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:01:59 AM
It's almost as if this world series is playing out to placate 2 sides; give the Cinderella team a chapionchip, but make the best player have an unbelievable run and shed his post-season bust label. Despite all the homers though, it was sweet to see that pitcher strike Barry out on 3 pitches.

CMJ
Oct 25th, 2002, 06:24:25 PM
No replies about the 2 Giants wins...especially that thumping last night. Series moves to Anaheim with the Halo's down 3-2....

JMK
Oct 25th, 2002, 07:03:41 PM
I'm not saying anything because I don't want to jinx it! I think me and JediBoricua are the only 2 to have taken the G-Men. This world series is a total slugfest though. Yesterday's game was a laugher. There are so many records being broken/approached by these 2 teams. And they say wild card teams aren't good enough! Bah!

JediBoricua
Oct 25th, 2002, 09:13:36 PM
Shhhhh......JMK, u might ruin it. ;)

I missed last night game, had my weekly SW RPG session, and I have a halloween party tomorrow so I might miss tomorrow game also (Do'h). But noneless the highlits were lots of fun! Scary moment with the kid though.

Like I said, Giants in 6.

Doc Milo
Oct 26th, 2002, 09:30:59 AM
About Wild Cards. I don't know why people keep saying that they are somehow subpar, just because they're wild cards. By definition, the Wild Card has to be at least one of the top four teams in the league. The same can't be said for a division winner.

A division winner can have the fifth, sixth, even seventh best record in the league, as long as it's the best record in that team's respective division. The Wild Card doesn't have that luxury. It has to be in the top four (top three if one of the division winners is bad but best in its division.)

For example, if the AL East had three teams with 95 wins or more, and the AL West had two teams with 90 wins, and the AL Central was won by a team with 85 wins, the division winner or the Central would be the sixth best team in the league, but the Wild Card would be either the second best or the third best (in this example, second best, out of the AL East.)

For this reason, I think Wild Cards get a bad rap. In most years, at least one of the Wild Cards have been better than a division winner....

JMK
Oct 26th, 2002, 08:15:36 PM
Top of 7......getting to crunch time.....

JMK
Oct 26th, 2002, 09:20:33 PM
Wow, what a comeback!
Where the hell are you all? I hope you say you're watching too! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2002, 10:10:07 PM
Yeah I saw it, what a comeback, this will be the 3rd time in like 5 years that there has been a game 7 (last year and a few years ago when Florida beat Cleveland). This has been a great WS, almost as good as last years.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:36:42 AM
I'm not the big baseball fan I used to be, but I've been watching this World Series for a couple of reasons. First, because the Angels are in it for the first time ever, and I love rooting for underdogs. And second, because I grew up a Dodger fan, so to Dodger fans, the Giants are evil spawns from hell :lol.

I had given up on last night's game when it got to be 5-0, and just kept thinking that although the Angels were going to lose, at least they got to the series, they played some damn fine baseball, etc., etc., etc. Then I looked back in time to see it become 5-3, so I hung around and almost couldn't believe it when they went ahead 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th inning :eek.

Game 7, here we come! :crack

Can they name the rally monkey MVP? :lol

JMK
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:31:05 AM
Seriously! Who are they going to name MVP? The way these teams have been pounding out hits, it certainly won't be a pitcher unless someone tosses a gem tonight. I guess at this point my picks would be

Angels: Spiezio / Glaus
Giants: Bonds / Kent (real original, I know.)

JediBoricua
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:05:29 PM
Just three more outs...

Too bad the Angels are the ones winning :(

Jinn Fizz
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:51:27 PM
Not to rub any salt in them there wounds, JediBoricua, but....

lookit the nice shiny trophy! :) :) :)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021028/capt.1035780374.world_series_ans150.jpg

darth_mcbain
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:53:05 PM
Congratulations to the Angels!!! They played well and I was really glad to see them win.

What did you all think of that poll they posted re/ Bonds getting the MVP? I am personally so sick of hearing about Bonds, and that pissed me off that they could even consider giving him the MVP if the Angels won. Glaus deserved it, although with the Angels there were a lot of good players who had good series. Anderson, Percival, Salmon, Spezio... They really were a great team and deserved to win.

JediBoricua
Oct 27th, 2002, 11:12:03 PM
At then end it happen at it should, good pitching and good defense won the game.

Congrats to the Angels, they beat my Yankees, so they deserve the World Series.

CMJ
Oct 27th, 2002, 11:13:35 PM
Really good series...congrats to the Halo's. :D

My overall record was 3-4....how'd everyone else do?

JediBoricua
Oct 27th, 2002, 11:15:07 PM
3-4 here too.

jjwr
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:26:57 AM
What did you all think of that poll they posted re/ Bonds getting the MVP? I am personally so sick of hearing about Bonds, and that pissed me off that they could even consider giving him the MVP if the Angels won. Glaus deserved it, although with the Angels there were a lot of good players who had good series. Anderson, Percival, Salmon, Spezio... They really were a great team and deserved to win.

I 100% agree, when the announcers first talked about this in the 8th or so inning it sickened me. I don't recall the exact words but they were along the lines of "If the Angels win will you vote Bonds for MVP?" the reply..."Yup".

Why? Heck if the Giants won I don't know if I would have voted Bonds MVP. They walked the heck out of him and if I recall all the games he homered in they lost. The Angels put him on teh shelf and the made the other players beat him. I swear half of the announcers, ESPN, etc had their lips firmly planed on Bonds **** through the World Series.

Doc Milo
Oct 28th, 2002, 01:42:50 PM
I'm 3-4 as well.

2-2 in the division series.

0-2 in the championship series

1-0 in the World Series.