PDA

View Full Version : A Splash of Color (open to anyone and everyone)

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 28th, 2002, 05:32:54 PM
The sun was just rising but the countryside was anything but quiet. Various birds warbled their own songs and the laughter of children echoed in the air. The said childrens mother was not far behind them, savoring the cool wetness of morning dew on her sandalled feet. Eleanor, as she was called, was not an extravagantly beautiful woman, nor was she ugly. She was not as thin as she had been when she married, not at twenty-seven and after five pregnancies, but her frame still held it's willowy, feline grace and her full, sensual mouth and finely sculpted cheekbones had retained their adolescant youth. Her long dark hair was held back by a small twist of leather, accentuating her large hazel eyes and fair skin. Though her clothes were painfully modest--An ankle length skirt and loose fitting tunic, both gray-- she wore them well. Yes, there were woman far better looking than she, but they lacked the femine spirit Eleanor de Coinete possesed.

The children had been lucky enough to inherit their mothers looks and spirit. Eleanors husband, Geoffrey, was a short, stout pig of a man that ruled his household with fists. Eleanor, by good graces, had thus far been able to absorb all the blows intended for her children.

And such lovely children they were! Richard, the eldest, was a charming lad of seven. William was six and as daring as a little boy can get. Her only daughter, sweet Marguerite, was four, a chubby little thing with a mass of dark curls and a matter-of-fact disposition. Henry, affectionatly dubbed 'Tickitt' when father was absent, was three and the most tempermental of the group. Most recent was Joel, the babe of the family at only sixteen months. Eleanor held him on one hip, a wicker basket on the other. If therer was one thing that made her loveless, abusive marriage bearable it was the children. They were her saviors.

Today was a good day for them. Today was market day. They had to be back by nine, Geoffreys orders, the reason for setting out so early. This trip to the village was special though. Rhianna, their neighbor, had heard rumers that there were visitors from offplanet. Visitors were a rarity on Salliche, even from neighboring villages. Henry had been a bit cross at first, why were people coming to his home? But after he saw how excited Richard and William were, he embraced the idea with full enthusiasm.

Grinning widely, Marguerite ran back to her mother as soon as the first sighn of the village was visible.

"Mama! Mama! Will we see the bisiters?"

Eleanor nodded.

"Aye sweeting, if they are truly here."

Marguerite spun around and shrieked to her brothers who stood waiting.

"Mama sayed yes!"

There was much celebrating at that and Eleanor found herself running alongside the youngsters to get to the market quicker-- They were all eager to see the strangers.

The market was a crowded place, even at this hour, and Eleanor made sure to keep the children close at hand when they arrived.

"Richard, hold Joel for me darling. Marguerite, make sure you've got a hold of Henry and the both of you stay with Richard and William, or myself. If we all cooperate and finish the marketing we'll be able to see t he strangers before we go wake Father."

The children nodded and followed closely. It was always odd to see mother so in charge once away from father. At home, Eleanor was a meek woman, heedig Geoffreys commands to keep everything as peaceful as possible. Even little Henry knew that Eleanor did not love their father.

In fact, it had been an arranged marriage. Eleanor had been sent to a convent when she was seven by her father, the Earl of a neighboring city. Geoffrey, twenty years her senior, had been wed at the time, a wealthy man who owned much land. When his wife died, leaving no heir to Geoffreys possesions, Eleanors father had bartered her for ownership of the surrounding countryside. Everyone had been shocked of course, not only because of Eleanors already commited life of chastity, but because she was only then fifteen. Geoffrey had jumped at t he chance.

"Mummy, can we go and see them now?"

William, after a careful inspection of the basket, had deemed them done with shopping. Eleanor smiled complacently and decided to indulge them, though she was not yet even half done. They got so few pleasure with Geoffrey as their sire.

"I suppose we can take a quick search sweeting. Perhaps we'll find them."

The boys shouted gleefully and Marguerite hopped from foot to foot, nearly tripping on the hem of her dress.

It would not be hard to find the visitors, if they were real. Strangers to Salliche were as easy to tell apart from the natives as apples and oranges.

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 28th, 2002, 05:42:37 PM
Yasashii and his brother Oishii were for once not out searching for a fight. Their travels had brought them to Salliche, where the two sought an honest job, a needed change from street fighting. Right now, the two were out in search of a place to eat, but Yasashii was eyeing the open market's wares.

"Brother, let's make our own meal today."

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 28th, 2002, 05:52:16 PM
"Richard! William! Wait!"

Eleanor sighed and grasped Henry's hand, making sure Marguerite had a firm grasp on her skirt. She didn't blame the boys for running off into the crowd, they were excited and behaving as all normal children would have done.

"Richard? William? William! Richard!"

She turned slowly, scanning the throng of villagers, desperatly looking for any sign of her sons. Sighing, Eleanor pushed through, heading towards center square. Once they boys realized she had not followed them, they would meet her there. And she would let them know how she felt about the dissapearence, to be sure.

To her relief, the boys were already there, gaping at two men, easily distinguishable from the crowds. As she lessened the distance between them, Eleanor could hear them questioning the strangers relentlessly.

"Are you really from offplanet?"

"Where'd you get clothes like those?"

"How come you came here?"

Blushing slightly at their lack of manners, Eleanor hastened over to them and gave a nod to the newcomers.

"I am sorry Sirs, for my children. It is not often we receive visitors, which I assume you are?

Oishii Sakana
Sep 28th, 2002, 07:34:28 PM
Oishii laughed as two children appeared and began with their questions.

"Yes, I we are from off planet. These we wear these clothes becasue we are fighters. And we got here by riding this huge ship."

A woman soon rushed up and apologized for them.

"Yes, ma'am we are visitors. We usually make our money street fighting..." Oishii put a hand on the hilt of his sword to punctuate the statement.

"However, we are here to seek a non-violent occupation. We are willing to perform all sorts of odd-jobs. Errands, cleaning, cooking, baby-sitting, etc etc."

"I am Oishii Sakana, and this is my brother, Yasashii Mikan."

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 28th, 2002, 08:12:02 PM
Eleanor smiled, nodding politely.

"Well if you seek to make an honest living you have come to the right place. But it is a hard life. If you are not of the Royal family you are most likely doomed to become a farmer."

She had not missed his mention of baby-sitting, for she thought it to be a silent offer. It was true, there were many who would probably take advantage of it, but Geoffrey would never allow it.

"Tell me Master Sakana, Master Mikan, have you anywhere to stay? If not I am sure my husband could pose no objections to giving you lodgings. I am sure he would like to meet you, for he is interested in the dealings of other worlds."

In fact, Geoffrey probably would mind, a great deal. He was very particular about what Eleanor could do without his permission. But she also knew he would not turn these strangers away, for he was starved for conversation that Eleanor apparently could not give.

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 28th, 2002, 10:05:22 PM
"Hey! A place to stay already! We accept!" Yasashii grinned, an expression that always came off brash no matter how he tried. "Thank you, miss..."

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 28th, 2002, 10:46:11 PM
"Eleanor. Just Eleanor."

The woman smiled and shifted Joel onto her other hip. Henry was scowling.

"Mama, I don't want 'em to stay in my home!"

Eleanor frowned.

"Well, I thought you would have wanted to hear stories Henry. I'm sure Master Mikan and Master Sakana would have told you one. Are you sure?"

Henry mulled that over. He hadn't thought of the possibility of stories. Finally he nodded his approval. Though she didn't show it, Eleanor was relieved that she'd managed to avert a possible fit. Henry was prone to tempers, the only thing he'd inherited from his father.

Nodding at the gentleman, Eleanor motioned them to follow.

"I'm afraid I have some more items to gather before we depart for home. If you would like to accompany us, feel free."

William and Richard nodded emphatically and Marguerite looked as if she might burst, waiting for their answer.

Oishii Sakana
Sep 28th, 2002, 10:49:37 PM
Oishii smiled. "We will join you. And I hope you will allow us to carry your items back to your home in prder to repay you for letting us stay with you."

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 28th, 2002, 10:53:10 PM
Yasashii grinned as Eleanor mentioned stories.

"Stories, she say. Stories of adventure, excitement I'll bet."

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:10:19 PM
"Eleanor, just Eleanor."

She smiled and shook her head, declining their offer to carry her wares.

"That won't be neccesary, thank you."

Marguerite could no longer stay quiet and indeed, she nearly jumped at the two men in excitement.

"Are you really staying and our home? You can share my room!"

In fact, the only one of them that did not seem to care either way was little Joel, occupied with a thread that had come loose on his trousers.

Oishii Sakana
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:18:28 PM
Oishii smiled. "We will stay if your father will have us."

The small group began to walk around the market, Yasashii and Oishii standing to either side.

"So, what are we shopping for, if I may ask?"

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:20:28 PM
Yasashii swiped a few fruits and loaves of bread from open stalls, paying as he went. Tossing some of the food to his brother, he looked to Eleanor for an answer.

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:26:54 PM
Eleanor was deftly sorting through the bins of vegetables and other foods, picking out those that Geoffrey liked. She pulled Joel's hands away each time he reached for something of interest such as the dried herbs that masked the scent of overripe fruits being sold at the stalls.

"Groceries, nothing special. It takes quite a bit to feed this group. Especially my husband."

Eleanors eyes twinkled mischieviously. She would never dare to make a jab at Geoff when in the company of the natives for word would certainly get back to him. It was nice to be released from that restriction, if only for the brief time span of the village trip.

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:30:35 PM
"He give ya hell, ma'am?"

Eleanor de Coinete
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:51:57 PM
"... No. He just.... Likes things a certain way."

Eleanor tried to sound natural but the color on her cheeks betrayed her even if the tone of her voice didn't. Thankfully Joel disrupted the awkward silence by knocking a display of roasted chestnuts over.

"Joel! No! You musn't touch!"

Eleanor immediatly regretted the sharp tone she'd taken, for the baby pouted pitifully. She stroked his cheek, sighing. Turning to the disgruntled vendor, Eleanor handed him some coins and began picking up the nuts along with William.

"As you can see, we have quite a bit of excitement in our family. I doubt if you'll get much peace while staying with us."

Richard echoed her, happily munching on the novelties that William put into the basket.

"Yep. We have lotsa fun, that's fer sure!"

Yasashii Mikan
Sep 30th, 2002, 06:01:31 PM
"Heh, I'll bet."

He cast a look at his brother. Her comment about the husband was evasive...

Oishii Sakana
Sep 30th, 2002, 06:52:30 PM
Oishii nodded. They would see soon enough when they started to live at the people's houses.

"I'm sure we will lots of fun."

Oishii mussed the boy's hair.

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:01:26 PM
Eleanor smiled politely and continued with her shopping. She soon became absorbed with the task, weaving her frame through the crowds of people and selecting items that she wished to purchase. Occasionally she would send one of the children to a nearby shop to collect something but most of what she needed was available in the open booths.

After a time, Eleanor looked up and counted the heads of her young children. Nodding and checking the contents of the basket one last time, she looked up at their new guests.

"If you gentlemen are through with any business you may need to do here in the village, we can begin the walk home. I'm afraid my children and I must return presently but if there are things you must finish here I would be more than willing to leave directions to our home."

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:10:24 PM
"Let's head out. All we came for was food."

Yasashii suppressed a burp.

"You people sure know how to bake. The bread's good."

Oishii Sakana
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:14:05 PM
Oishii agreed, but had no urge to burp.

"We can go when you are ready, Miss," Oishii said. He knew that she asked them not to call her Miss, but it was in Oishii's nature to treat a lady with respect.

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:08:33 PM
"Very well. If we walk quickly we may have time to play before breakfast."

The seemingly casual comment was meant for the children who were often reluctant to leave the bustling haven. Eleanor knew thir characters well though and managed to conceal a smile at their sudden desire to depart.

"C'mon Momma! C'mon, we gotta hurry!"

Marguerite pulled on her hand, urging her forward. Eleanor motioned for the group of anxious youths to run ahead, gazing fondly at their hastily retreating backs.

"Not too far! Make sure I can still see you!"

Her attention now on the newcomers, Eleanor nodded.

"Shall we?"

Oishii Sakana
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:11:14 PM
"But of course."

Oishii was like a flash, quickly catching up to the children and hauling one onto his back and picking up to more to hold in his arms.

"We'll get there much faster this way. You kids know how to get home, right?"

Oishii looked over his shoulder at Eleanor. "No worries, ma'am! You're kids are safe in my hands!"

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 8th, 2002, 08:13:11 PM
"He's a kid himself at times."

Yasashii looked to Eleanor.

"We gonna walk, or should we follow them as fast as my legs can carry me?"

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 10th, 2002, 07:37:29 PM
The children laughed and Marguerite, sitting atop the prestigous spot of Oishii's back, shrieked, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Eleanor chuckled softly and smiled at Yasashii.

"If you don't mind I'd rather enjoy walking. It is not often we recieve such pleasant weather and I am curious about you. Tell me, how is the galaxy faring? It has been many years since I last heard news of the outside worlds."

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 10th, 2002, 09:44:47 PM
"The galaxy's getting along on its own. There's at least a hundred worlds in the New Republic, I forget how many or what they are. The galaxy is reorganizing under the NR, and the Jedi have resurfaced to fight the Sith and Dark Jedi. Oishii and I get along on our own as well, travelling about marketing our only valuable set of skills."

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:58:49 PM
"I miss it. Perhaps one day soon Geoffrey will allow a short trip."

Eleanor sighed, shifted the baby higher on her hip, and then continued on.

"It seems as if you and your brother have an interesting life. I hope to send my children away from here as soon as they are old enough. It will be better for them. Salliche is a good place but you can get trapped here, in the people, the town. Already my daughter is bethrothed to a boy in a nearby village. How I am to get around that I have not discovered."

Suddenly aware she was saying things that Geoff would not approve of, the woman blushed.

"You will like my husband, I think. He will be able to tell you more of our world, in better views than I."

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 13th, 2002, 03:13:16 PM
"Better views? That's for us to decide."

Yasashii still thought there was something about how she spoke of her husband that wasn't right. Rather than dwell on it, he turned the conversation toward the problem of the daughter.

"Do they like each other? Or is it a planned marriage?"

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:28:50 PM
Eleanor laughed.

"Well, it's hard to say. Marguerite is four and the groom-to-be a year younger. Not exactly a prime age for attraction. It is arranged of course, most of the marriages in our society are. In this case, Geoffrey will be gaining a future Earl as a son-in-law and the other father a wealthy relative."

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:59:55 PM
Yasashii looked off in the direction Oishii had gone with the kids.

"She's set for marriage and she's too young even to like boys. What happens if she grows up liking someone else? What happens to her? What about her feelings? That's just wrong."

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:58:26 PM
Eleanor shrugged.

"That is the way things are done here. My marriage was arranged and I've done well for myself. I have five wonderful children. But my daughter will not be marrying, I assure you. Not a man, boy that is not of her choosing."

She gazed at Marguerite, sadly but with a grim determination set on her face.

Oishii Sakana
Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:15:09 PM
All this running around with all this extra weight was making Oishii tired.

"Hey, how about....we take break?" he panted, and waited for the children's shouts of protest.

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:49:43 PM
"Your determination is admirable."

He said nothing more on the subject, thinking for once instead of going purely on emotion. They soon caught up to Oishii, who was standing tiredly in the middle of the spastic children.

"You're gonna kill yourself, bro."

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 29th, 2002, 05:39:09 PM
"Children, let our guests rest. We don't want to tire them out before we reach the house, hmmm?"

They knew better than to protest but they still scowled. Eleanor smiled and continued on. The day was indeed turning into a pleasant one and she regretted that once they returned she would end up inside cleaning and cooking, doing her 'duties'.

"If you get tired, please don't hesitate to tell them to settle down. They can get very excited sometimes. I often wonder where their energy comes from."

Oishii Sakana
Oct 29th, 2002, 07:05:50 PM
Oishii soon saw a house in the distance.

"Is that your house?"

Eleanor de Coinete
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:27:57 PM
Eleanor squinted and nodded.

"That's the stables. The house is bit beyond that. Shan't be long till we're there and you can rest. I'm sorry it's been a bit of a walk, I should have told you the distance."

She shifted Joel in her arms and wondered idly if Geoffrey were awake yet. Probably not. He rarely woke himself before noon.

"Richard, when we get home I want you to take your brothers and sister outside to the swing to play, understood?"

Richard nodded. There was an understanding that when Mother went to wake Papa, they were to be outside, away from anything that might happen.

Trying to muster up a smile, Eleanor let the children banter with Oishii and Yasashii. It wasn't long, as she had said it wouldn't be, until they were within the fenced lands of Geoff's estates. William relieved Joel from her and a race ensued to the old wooden swing at the end of the yard.

"If you'd like to come in I'll put the kettle on and wake Geoffrey."

Eleanor held the door open, basket on her hip, trying her best to hide her worry.

Yasashii Mikan
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:40:22 PM
Yasashii walked in and stretched, kicking his shoes off at the door.

"Go for it. If there's anything we can do for you while we're here, let us know."

Oishii Sakana
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:47:59 PM
Nothing got past Oishii. The woman was tense, and Oishii was pretty sure he knew why. He left his shoes at the door, and cleared his throat. It was a peculiar sound, a sound that warned his brother to be alert.

"Thank you, ma'am."

Oishii kept a sharp eye on Eleanor, and waited for her to go wake her husband. Oishii would not be far behind. He had a feeling something was going to happen soon.