PDA

View Full Version : A Radical Plan (Please All Read and Comment)

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 27th, 2002, 03:12:46 PM
This idea has been around in my head for a very long time. It is born out of the frustration I have sensed from padawans as well as my own frustration at our current way of training Jedi. I feel that we have a strength here that is also a major weakness. The strength is that we have a wide variety of unique individuals with unique talents, however, the weakness is that I feel that padawans are not properly, or rather, not evenly trained, and are therefore unprepared for continuing the cycle and taking on their own padawans. I know that when I was first Knighted I was lost... and that is not a slam on my former master, but just a jump that I, along with many others, had to make with out assistance.

This is my roughed-out plan to change the way we teach and train here.

Step One: An applicant is welcomed into the Jedi order, and officially registers as a Student.

Step Two: The Student completes at least three IC classes and at least two OOC classes along the time frame of their choosing. This means that they can take three at once or wait and focus their attention on one at a time. For example:

IC Classes:
Lightsaber Combat
Hand to Hand Combat
Force Abilities, body
Force Abilities, mind
Force Abilities, nature
Jedi Lore

OOC Classes:
Realistic Character Creation
Fundamentals of Role Play
Writing a good storyline

Etc... these can be changed, but they were just the first things that popped into my head.

Step Three: After the Student has completed their courses, they are then accepted as a Padawan to a Master (This refers to both Knights and Masters, of course.) The master’s function is to both provide further instruction on top of the fundamentals that the student has learned as well as to take the padawan on missions, in order to instruct them in the realities of combat and the Jedi lifestyle.

Step Four: After two additional months as a Padawan, they are eligible for Knighthood. Note that this is a possibility, not an entitlement.

Step Five: After Knighthood, there would be optional additional classes available, both IC and OOC, from specialized force skills to how to run a class of your own to how to plan a mission. These would be taught by seasoned (yuck, sounds like a piece of meat!) veterans.

Benefits:
1. This plan will give a Master more time for advanced topics, as well as giving every Padawan the solid foundation in combat/force fundamentals.

2. This plan will enable a Master to focus more on advanced topics and missions, and let the Padawan more fully develop their own unique skills and talents.

3. This plan will make it easier for candidates for Knighthood by exposing them to more chances for growth.

4. This plan will allow those interested (of any rank) to teach a class about their own specialty, enriching the rest of the Jedi with their unique knowledge so that we may all continue to learn.

Current padawans would continue along with the current plan. New recruits will follow this one. We already have individual classes, but the actual training process is far too varied from master to master. This is giving us a considerable variance in the quality and knowledge of our newly-promoted Knights. This plan will help those in every stage of Jedi, from brand new recruits to seasoned veterans. I think that, with a little adjustment and cooperation, we can make this integral portion of a Jedi’s lifestyle both more useful and more consistent.

Oh, and yes, I would be willing to coordinate this all.

Comments are gladly appreciated. :D

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 27th, 2002, 03:34:21 PM
Well, I have always wanted to know the ground rules for fights and spars in RPing, seeing as I have only been in 3 fights...

Verse Dawnstrider
Sep 27th, 2002, 10:47:03 PM
I try to do all of that with my padawans, but I think this is a good idea. The only 'downside' is that some peopel reply afaster than others. I am use that can be worked out. Sweet idea all in all Ryla.

Oriadin
Sep 28th, 2002, 04:31:30 AM
I agree with the majority of what you have said there. I do think there is a definate gap between some of the padawans being knighted. Not sure how easy that would be to implement though. I can understand how the IC classes work, as thats what weve always done here. And I do think we should have OOC classes but how would you work them?

Perhaps there should be a standard test for a Padawan too. It kinda just goes in the word of the Master to a degree that someone is ready. A few posts are usually checked out but I wonder if this enough. Even if everyone just has to answer questions in front of the council.

Good topic Ryla.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 28th, 2002, 04:58:21 AM
Very good points Ryla :)

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 28th, 2002, 11:49:58 AM
I tried to do this with Jubei, but I suck :cry

Nobody wants to train with me :cry :cry :cry

Figrin D'an
Sep 28th, 2002, 12:25:03 PM
Good premise... will need some tweaking, but it can work. Some people may lose interest because of the work necessary before they actually start RPing, but we lose a fair number of people from lack of adequate training anyway... this may prove to be an effective way to get newbies involved early and often.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 28th, 2002, 12:35:27 PM
Thanks for all your comments, they are appreciated. :D

And Figrin, I agree with you. My guess is that, although we may loose people in this system, it will probably end up being the people that would have bailed anyway. Plus, the ones that did stick with it would most likely be more inclined to stay now that they feel they have the foundation to work from and it's not so overwhelming.

Liam Jinn
Sep 28th, 2002, 01:35:14 PM
I like the plan, and I agree that it should have some tweaking. Anyway, I'll try to help out as much as I can :)

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 28th, 2002, 03:39:58 PM
So, what sort of tweaking would you all like to see?

Ori, in regards to the OOC classes, I would propose them to be set up just like the IC classes... A group of students, one or two teachers, and then laying out details of the class, such as how to set up a good storyline, writing in first vs. third person, setting a scene, how to write a fight, other ways to say "Said" and etc.

Any other class suggestions would be run by me, or some small education council, and then we would check to see that there is a need for it, and see what would be taught there. They would have to include a sample classroom post, for example, and then we would decide to implement it or not.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 28th, 2002, 08:58:50 PM
The best way in my experience, both IC and OOC is to tuck someone firmly under your wing. Now that's something I'm relearning how to do, because I have not really trained anyone in years and the last one in that time was a total and utter disaster. Also, becuase of how I am, I really need to work with someone whom suits my temprament - there are just some poeple I just can not work with - not becuase of dislikes, more because styles are different.

I find it takes a long time to really get get into a training scheme, it takes a while to get ideas and more imortantly, it takes time to get the willpower and creative ideas going in such a way that I can satisfactory give a lesson. It also doesnt help that I like to be spontaneos. Thence, I'm never one for plans.

But it's okay, it's a good idea, I'm just stating what I do.

Dios Kane
Sep 28th, 2002, 10:49:00 PM
I have to say the original plan seemed pretty good, but it doesn't seem to come into effect that well because like it was said before, some people post faster than others, this idea with some tweaking could be very productive, but I have to say drop the ooc homework, too much like school and they should be taught all of those in the ic stuph possibly. Good idea, but I like the whole sticking the padawan under the wing thing like Marcus said

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 29th, 2002, 02:16:47 AM
It wouldn't have ooc homework, more of an informative sharing of knowledge from those who know to those who need to. Marcus, I agree with that, however, I have found from personal experience that often times after three months comes padwans often feel entitled to a promotion without the skills and experience to warrant it. Not everyone would have to teach a class, and not everyone would have to have a padawan... Just that the padawans you would get would be much more prepared and ready to do specializations in whatever you (or they) can dream up. Instead of three months of "Don't throw your lightsaber into the bathtub" you can move along to missions and unique fighting abilities. :D

Liam Jinn
Sep 29th, 2002, 02:19:55 AM
One thing I don't like, is this 3 month period before a padawan can be promoted. We did fine before the rule was established, only we promoted when we felt they were ready. I say this rule be cast out..

Oriadin
Sep 29th, 2002, 12:06:53 PM
I tend to agree with that. There seems to be little point in having that rule. You are either ready or your not, the time should not matter.

Hunk
Sep 29th, 2002, 01:06:03 PM
These would be taught by seasoned (yuck, sounds like a piece of meat!) veterans.

:: sprinkles seasoning on Ryla....bites::

Tasty! :D

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 29th, 2002, 01:13:05 PM
^_^; (salivates)

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 29th, 2002, 01:23:46 PM
:lol

I tend to agree with that three-month period as well... Again, it is an earned promotion, not an automatic entitlement.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 29th, 2002, 02:09:27 PM
I think you should keep the 3 month rule in place, say as a time in which you think that, IC, the character could fully develop and adjust to being a part of the Order and a Jedi. Whether or not they attain the rank after that time should be based upon their actions, though with most I'd say that by that time they've acted well.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 29th, 2002, 02:33:30 PM
Yes, it should kinda be a failsafe. I mean, somebody could come out right out of the box, and RP with breakneck speed, skill, etc, and have a cult of personality. Even then, they should be here a minimum of 3 months for such :)

Hunk
Sep 29th, 2002, 03:26:16 PM
Diego = Member of Living Colour?

(by the way, I like Ryla's idea)

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 29th, 2002, 04:33:05 PM
What?

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 29th, 2002, 06:20:27 PM
I am in agreement ... with ryla and the three month rule

The three month rule is also showing that you are committed to being around the GJO not just here and then go oooo I wanna be a Sith, and then leave.

If someone's been active and doing threads and been here three months, booyeah .. Knight. If not well, you can be like me and Hunk and wait a year ^_^;

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 29th, 2002, 06:24:38 PM
Good points, all around... The three month rule was put in place for a reason... and the best ones that usually prove themselves are often patient as well. :D

At any rate, any more suggestions for tweakment?

Hunk
Sep 29th, 2002, 07:06:45 PM
Cult of Personality
Living Colour

Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of Personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the Cult of Personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights, A Nobel Price
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights a Nobel Prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your God's name
I'm every person you need to be

Sanis Prent
Sep 29th, 2002, 07:22:46 PM
Oh yes. That ^_^;

Sene Unty
Sep 29th, 2002, 09:11:19 PM
I have a question pertaining to myself and a few of the other padawans who have been here a while. What happens to us? Will we be thrown into classes with new padawans to relearn most of what we have learned?

Oh and I really like this idea!! Escpecially the OOC lessons. I find that many people who come in here to RP could use a little lessons in how to RP. I know that when I first came in it was a bit of an adjustment period. I also dont think that people posting too quick will be a problem. After all if we teach them that they must wait than they will be more inclined to do so. If you need any help with anything I hope you will contact me.....:D

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 30th, 2002, 12:04:42 AM
Well, I touched on this very topic in the first post, but I'll elaborate on it now. Y'all would continue on being trained by your masters as things are now, with the addition of optional classes that you could take if you wanted to... It would be highly unfair to have to go back and relearn everything.

Sene Unty
Sep 30th, 2002, 08:18:35 AM
Okay thanks. :D

Pierce Tondry
Sep 30th, 2002, 12:49:05 PM
This is a pretty good idea, but first you guys will have to develop "curriculums"- essentially, explanations of what it is you want a student of said class to have learned by the end of it that are agreed to by the majority of posters.

After that, then implementation and testing can begin.

Regarding the three month rule: part of what differentiates Light Jedi from others is an emphasis on patience, understanding, and harmony. Those things take time, and to shortcut that process seems counter to what you're trying to instill. This is just my view, though.

Makes me glad I am not yet a Knight. I can simply sit back, offer suggestions, and let others do the work. :)

Hunk
Sep 30th, 2002, 01:25:22 PM
Well, if it was up to me, I'd make it 6 months minimum, at the very least. I mean, if we go by what we saw in Episodes 1 and 2, Jedi are trained from the time they're a toddler to their 20's, and at least 10 years of that was spent assigned to a knight as a padawan. Now obviously we can't do that, but the point is, that's a long time, and during that time, there's a real bonding between teacher and student. I think if we lengthened the padawan period, we'll do two things:

1. Force people to be serious roleplayers. If you go into this knowing that it'll be a while before you're a knight, you're going to have to be really into it. It's not something you can breeze through, become a knight, and then get bored and leave a few months later. Sure, we may lose a few people, but the ones left will be the people you'll remember months or even years down the line.

2. Provide time for teacher and student to bond. It may sound hokey, but I think this is important. We're all busy people, and sometimes it may take two or three weeks to get through a single training thread when you factor in teacher and student schedules. So in three months, you may only get 3 or 4 training sessions. It's entirely possible that you might not even really know the person you're promoting. If you lengthen that training time, it'll give the student time to network. They'll get to know the teacher, and through them, other jedi. Often, new players are reluctant to rp with someone they don't know--it can be a bit intimidating.