PDA

View Full Version : How High? (Open to Knights and above)

Oriadin
Sep 27th, 2002, 04:22:55 AM
Oriadin woke in the morning feeling fresh and ready for another day of training. His Master, Helenias was usually pretty busy so a lot of the time, Oriadin attempted to train himself or see if he could get another Knight to help. While studying in the archives he had read many a time about how the Jedi had the ability to jump several times higher than any normal person. This was something he was keen to learn.

He got up and dressed into his Jedi robes and left his room. He made his way to the archives with his datapad in hand. He brought up the screen about force jumping and downloaded them to his datapad. It came under the heading Enhance attribute. He scanned over the information...

:: Effect: A Jedi uses this power to increase a single attribute for a limited amount of time. An increased attribute can help a Jedi jump higher, dodge quicker, see better, and run faster. All skills controlled by the enhanced attribute are increased by the appropriate amount for as long as the power is in effect. ::

He turned of the terminal he was sat at and made his way to the academy. It didnt take him long to find a free room.

He pushed the door open and turned on the lights. The room was large and pretty high. A number of pillars stood tall in the room, with the idea being that you jump from one to the other. Some of the larger ones looked pretty dangerous. If you were to fall from such a height, you could do yourself an injury. Hopefully though, Oriadin wouldnt find that part out.

He leaned up against a wall as he re-read over all the information on his datapad. Waiting to get started.

OOC: Id quite like it if a Knight or above could be here for this to give us some help.

Helenias Evenstar
Sep 27th, 2002, 06:28:19 AM
OOC : And here I was thinking of starting a training a training thread.

IC : There was a room and I could sense someone inside I peered into the doors and I saw within Oriadin, my Padawan.

"Hello. What are you studying today?"

Oriadin
Sep 27th, 2002, 07:01:48 AM
He turned his head to face his Master. He sensed her pressence just before she spoke to him.

--Enhance attribute. It allows you to jump much higher and move much faster than at ordinary times. Ive seen it done many times here before and thought id give it a go.--

He walked over to his master to show her the data pad he was reading.

--Im more interested in the jumping bit for the moment, although id like to learn both.--

Helenias Evenstar
Sep 27th, 2002, 07:19:14 AM
"Oh?"

I glanced upwards, then in the blink took off and landed sweetly on top of one of the pillars

"Sorry, that was showing off. This time I can help you. Enchancing is more of a Telekinesis - except instead of affecting a rock or a case, your applying it directly to yourself"

I jumped off, landing lightly on the floor.

"Really, it's not that hard, once you think of it like that."

Oriadin
Sep 27th, 2002, 07:31:00 AM
So far, Oriadin had been pretty good at Telekinesis. Lifting rocks and lifting yourself though are two different matters. He thought back to when he saw Sejah attempting to do Telekinesis and made a rock explode. He didnt particularaly want that to happen to him!

--Oh... in that case, im glad your here to help.--

Helenias Evenstar
Sep 27th, 2002, 08:23:39 AM
"Personally, I regard this a fairly easy. Think where you want to go and use The Force like a spring. Say.... up to the smaller pillar. You call on the Force to lift you up. Or think of it as a springboard. For this there are quite few ways to think of how to use The Force to achieve what you want. Or a booster. Or maybe even a hand pulling you upwards."

Looking up, I ended.

"Anyway you want to think. Consider one and try it"

Oriadin
Oct 1st, 2002, 04:56:33 AM
Oriadin seemed doubtfull but he decided to give it a go non the less. He decided to imagine the booster. He stood at the foot of one of the smaller pillars as he took slow, deep breaths and concentraited on feeling the force. Once he felt at complete peace he focused on the pillar that stood before him.

With a sudden movement he imagined a booster and jumped...

...He managed to get a couple of feet off the ground, but nothing he couldnt do usually. A disapointed look overcame his face as he looked back towards his Master.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 4th, 2002, 01:14:29 AM
Hmmm. Looked like some thought was needed.

"Try thinking of this - a trampoline. You know what one of those are? Imagine your on one of those. Close your eyes and visualise, then jump on it."

Oriadin
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:16:22 AM
He nodded. Thinking in his head a trampoline. A trampoline. A trampoline. He took a look at the relativly small pillar compared with the rest and focused.

Again he jumped and again he only managed the usual couple of feet. He landed and looked toward the floor, before letting out a long sigh. This wasnt going well he thought to himself.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:19:57 AM
Now I was looking perplexed.

"Allright, maybe we are going about this the wrong way. Use the Force to lift me up please"

There was a germ of an idea coming to mind

Oriadin
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:23:30 AM
He lifted his head and looked toward his master. He lifted one eyebrow to show a little suprise at the request of Helenias. She simply gave him a long look back as if to ask what he was waiting for.

He turned his whole body to face Helenias. He had never lifted anything as large as a person before. Infact, a book was the biggest thing. His head lowered and he closed his eyes. Concentraiting, he lifted his head and slowly opened his eyes. His right arm stretched out slightly in the direction of his master. His hand shook slightly before his master lifted a few inches off the ground. Oriadin tried to hold her there, while awaiting further instructions.

His face was one of complete seriesness and concentration.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 8th, 2002, 04:11:13 AM
Coming up with ideas to show Oriadin how to do this was not easy. But first, I had to show him that he was capable - self belief was such a key to The Force, if you believed, it would happen. Within limits of course and those limits would grow with time.

"Good. Now, with your mind, push me away. But keep me off ground as you do"

Oriadin
Oct 8th, 2002, 04:23:59 AM
Oriadin didnt bother to signal to his master that he understood her instruction. He was to focused. Instead he took a deep breath and pushed his hand futher out in front of him slightly. Helenias began to move backwards, remaining only inches above the ground. Some sweat appeared on the brow of the padawan.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 10th, 2002, 02:19:14 AM
"Now, move me on top of the smallest pillar please"

A rather mean idea came to my mind at how to help Oriadin realise how high he could jump....

No, it was funny, but cruel. I doubted he would like a blaster being trained at his feet. But I would keep it in mind for future training

Oriadin
Oct 10th, 2002, 02:23:25 AM
Oriadin, still focused began to lift his master. She moved slowly through the air. It was hard, slow work but he was getting there. He was begining to feel the strain now though. He wasnt sure how much longer he could keep his Master up so he tried to move as quick as possible.

After a few moments he placed Helenias on top of the smallest pillar and then took a huge breath. He bent over and put his hands on his knees.

--That was hard.--

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 10th, 2002, 02:45:24 AM
"You will join me up here!"

It was a mind trick, said in such a way to make Oriadin not hesitate, but to instantly act.

Oriadin
Oct 10th, 2002, 02:50:12 AM
Without thinking, Oriadin suddenly got the urge to attempt to get to the top of the pillar. He was about to attempt it when he suddenly realised what he was about to do.

--woa? what happend?--

Instantly, he thought mind trick but having never experienced one he wasnt sure. All he really knew of the Jedi mind trick was that it only worked on the weak of mind.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 10th, 2002, 03:09:33 AM
Well, that didn't work. It had been worth a try.

Or maybe just try something else?

"You can jump up here" I said softly. "You can do it! Jump up here! Dont think first, just do it!"

This time it was more like a caress, the use of The Force. It was conjoling and convincing, telling Oriadin he could do it.....

Oriadin
Oct 10th, 2002, 03:19:57 AM
Oriadin, still looking somewhat dazed gritted his teeth and took a deep breath. He focused on the pillar and belived. He took a slight step backward and then launched himself from the floor.

This time, he felt different, lighter. He jumped much higher than he thought humanly possible but then it stopped. He got as high as he could but didnt quite make the pillar. His arms reached up and he grabbed the top with his hands. His right knee banging into the pillar the Padawan let out a cry in pain.

Helenias took one of his hands and pulled him to the top. He put his hand on his knee as it was still sore. There was no blood or any lasting damage but it will be bruised and a little sore for a while.

--Almost made it--

He said with a wry smile.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:24:14 AM
"Told you I did - self belief is what you need. Believe you can leap and it will be so"

And with a backflip, I was gone, landing neatly on a pillar nearby.

"Again! You can do this!" And again the Force was used gently and conjoling. "Have faith in your abilities!"

Oriadin
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:09:45 AM
The next pillar was higher than the first and therfore much more costly if you were to fail in making the jump. Oriadin was feeling pretty nervouse. He stood very still for a few moments. He had to regain his composure and relax. He soothed his breathing and focused on the next pillar.

Now he was ready. He opened his eyes and looked across. Under his breath he counted.

--1...2...3...--

and with that he leaped. This time making it to the pillar but he lost his balance on top. There wasnt a great deal of room. His arms made windmill motions as his heels stood overhanging the edge. His head looked back over the edge as it looked like he may fall.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 16th, 2002, 04:27:36 AM
In a blink, I reached out and pulled Oriadin by the shirtfront so he stood balanced on the pillar.

"Not bad.... not bad at all. I think your getting the idea now"

I leapted and landed lightly on the next pier.

"Again! You can do it!"

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 16th, 2002, 04:33:24 AM
In a blink, I reached out and pulled Oriadin by the shirtfront so he stood balanced on the pillar.

"Not bad.... not bad at all. I think your getting the idea now"

I leapted and landed lightly on the next pier.

"Again! You can do it!"

Oriadin
Oct 16th, 2002, 04:55:35 AM
Oriadin had to take a few seconds to compose himself. He knew he could have fallen and it wouldnt have ended pretty but he was sure his master would look after him and there was only one way to learn this. His heart rate slowed back down to its normal rate and he prepared to jump.

He bounced slightly, as if he were counting down to himself and encouraging himself. Then, in a split second he lept. this time managing to land on top of the pillar easily and with perfect ballance.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:39:19 AM
Again I peapt to the next pillar - the tallest one.

"And again!"

Oriadin
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:45:19 AM
Using a smiliar technique as before, Oriadin made the jump. He lost his balance on the top again but this time managed o regain it without help. Hed gotten the hang of it now. It was just a case of practising enough to make it natural and to perfect the balance.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 18th, 2002, 10:13:01 PM
And then with a smile I stepped off the edge of the pillar - to land neatly on the ground, several meters below.

"Can you figure out how I did that?"

Oriadin
Oct 21st, 2002, 03:00:28 AM
Oriadins heart skipped a beat as Helenias let herself drop from the highest pillar. He rushed to the edge and looked over not really knowing what to expect. To his relief she was fine. She had landed perfectly and with grace. His mouth opened a little bit in shock.

--Err, you have springs in your legs?--

He said, half jokingly. He knew it was to do with the force, but, this was so high up!

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:29:53 AM
I looked back up, smirking at Oriadin's joke

"No, not quite. I use the Force to absorb my landing. In a way however, you could think if it like that. What I visualise is that I am jumping off something much smaller. You cant fall infinate distance, but you can arrest and absorb the energies of landing with the Force. Understand?"

Oriadin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:51:53 AM
He thought for a moment before nodding.

--Yeah, I think so.--

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:00:15 AM
"Okay then. Jump down. If your going too fast, I'll catch you"

Oriadin
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:10:45 AM
Jump down. Sounded simple enough. Oriadin got the the edge of the pillar and looked down. It was a long way. Oriadins heart started to pound, this was something he really didnt want to get wrong!

He took a few deep breaths and phsyked himself up. His master would catch him if he fell to quickly, so he was quite safe. It was just a matter of beliving. As he stood at the edge he held one foot out and took a step, allowing himself to fall. He concentraited as hard as he could and landed. Helenias didnt need to do anything. It was a bit of a hard landing but safe enough non the less. A small streak of pain ran through his foot but it was nothing serious. It would be fine in a few moments.

He stood up tall and took a look at the pillar. It looked even bigger from the bottom! His heart was still racing.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:25:11 AM
"Excellent! Now, one more before we finish.... do you think you can jump back up?"

Oriadin
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:36:06 AM
Oriadin looked at his master in disbelief almost. Perhaps she was joking. When he saw her face he could tell instantly that she was deadly serious. He looked back at the pillar. It was high, and it looked like it was getting bigger by the second.

--Err, all the way to the top? Im not sure--

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:03:23 AM
"And that is why you wont do it. No more I'm not sure. Do, or do not. Be sure you will do it, have no doubt in your mind. You have already seen yourself leaping far beyond what you were capable of. You have to let it all go - fear, doubt, uncertainty...."

And with that I took off into a graceful backflip, landing neatly onto of the pillar in question... and looking back below expectantly.

Oriadin
Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:56:00 AM
Do or do not. Famous words spoken Originaly by Master Yoda. Oriadin new it was true. He looked up at Helenias as she stood on top of the pillar looking down. Took one deep breath then closed his eyes for a second in concentration. Then with an almighty leap landed perfectly on top of the pillar.

No stumbling on top this time either. It was precise and calculated. He turned around and looked at Helenias then smiled.

Helenias Evenstar
Oct 24th, 2002, 01:39:33 AM
I bowed in acknowledgement

"Well done! It would seem you have the idea and the confidence to execute this lesson. "

Oriadin
Oct 24th, 2002, 02:34:17 AM
Oriadin bowed and thanked his Master. He was very happy with todays lesson and felt that things were begining to come together for him now.