PDA

View Full Version : Superman Director announced

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2002, 10:23:03 PM
And it is Brett Ratner director of Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 and the upcoming Red Dragon. Still he has some work to do the last script sounds horrible here it couristy of AICN

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=13350

First off Krypton has to blow up because what would be the point and second that whole thing with Luthor being an Alien has got to be the stupidist thing that I have ever read. I read somewhere that they were going to rewrite the script and I am sure when Ratter reads it the whole thing will be changed around, at least I hope so.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 26th, 2002, 04:21:53 AM
I hate the sound of it already. That is really, really poor.

Oriadin
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:01:41 AM
I did read a rumour that the script had been leaked by someone in attempt to get it re-written. How true that is I have no idea.

darth_mcbain
Sep 26th, 2002, 08:21:41 AM
Man - that REALLY SUCKS... I tried to read it with an open mind, but that will just be terrible if it pans out that way.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2002, 09:27:45 AM
Well some of it I think sounds pretty good the whole idea about Superman having a cousin will work (as long as instead of this Krypton crap they can put him into that prison that General Zod was in Superman 2) and most of the smallville stuff sounds good and I don't mind the new stuff with Lois Lane they can change how they met that is fine, but Luthor they should not mess with. He can't be alien that is so stupid, the whole point with him should be that he is super intelligent uses that to counter Superman's powers. Hopeful they will wise up with the rewrite I have my doubts that much of that script will survive, I don't think Rattner will let (the last director MCG wanted to radically change stuff I understand so at least they are going in a different direction) I know that Rattner wanted to be faithful to the Red Dragon novel so hopefully he will want to be somewhat faithful to Superman's history.

JMK
Sep 26th, 2002, 11:25:10 AM
There's no question that he has to be faithful to the history of Superman. It would be like doing that movie "61" starring Barry Pepper as Roger Maris, and have him hit 83 home runs as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray.

Sejah Haversh
Sep 26th, 2002, 04:27:30 PM
For crying out loud, do we really NEED another Superman movie? Why can't we go on to other DC characters who haven't had them yet. Like Captain Marvel, Green Arrow, or at least Green Lantern. Just don't ler Ron Marz get his hands on the script...

Sene Unty
Sep 26th, 2002, 04:29:01 PM
NO way........ I can't believe this.......I am speachless.

WHAT THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING?????????????

I am sweating like R.Kelly at a girl Scout meeting (I love that). I can't believe they would even fathom this.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2002, 10:49:39 PM
I really doubt that the screen play will stay as it is. I think they will make changes the question is how many and will they keep either of the two idiotic plot points (I am hoping not). As far as another Superman movie, I think we do, the first two were great but 3 and 4 were awful. First off I would like to see Luthor portrayed as a very powerful, smart, tycoon like he is in the comics. I also would like to see Braniac introduced, Metallo would be cool to but might be hard to explain. Sure I would like to see the other DC characters, I know they are working on a Wonder Woman movie, and rumors have been around for over a year about Green Latern. Aquaman and The Flash also could get films. I would love to see a JLA movie but I really don't think it will ever happen, have to stick with the awesome JLA show on Cartoon Network.

dbn
Sep 27th, 2002, 04:03:38 AM
that would be cool if they did a JLA movie!

Oriadin
Sep 27th, 2002, 04:54:57 AM
Personally Id love to see a new superman film. With the special effects you can get nowadays it would look so cool. I just really hope they dont ruin it.

Its going to be hard to top Christopher Reeve to. He was brilliant at the part.

ReaperFett
Sep 27th, 2002, 07:36:11 AM
I'd rather Batman v Superman. Farrell as Batman, Bale as Superman. And then, you can make the Superman and Batman films using them, after one film kick-started both markets

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2002, 03:35:36 PM
Well things changed, first Peterson decided to do Troy first which put this movie off and then WB exectivies decided to go this route, they could still cast Bale as Superman, I haven't really heard who they are looking at yet.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:29:19 PM
If they made a JLA movie like they do the cartoon series, it would be one I'd be displeased with. Not because the cartoon is bad, I do like the cartoon, but because of the cast changes they made for it to appeal to a larger demographic.

NAmely, Hawkgril instead of Hawkman (anybody who has read some of the original Hawkman stories knows how cool this guy reall is!) and John Stewart as Green Lantrern instead of Hal Jordan. John Stewart was possibly one of the worst written GL's there was, with the exception ofd a few books that featured Kyle Rayner that were written by Marz.

Hal was the best GL ever, and should have ben int eh cartoon. And I heard they tried to sign Mel Gibson to the part in a movie a few years back, but it was right when Ron Marz went and frelled everythign up with the comics and so the movie fell through. The flash has already had a movie, and a TV series, too.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:20:07 PM
Well Hawkgirl, doesn't bother me I guess its because I never read any of the Hawkman comics, all I remember is his awful rendetion on the superfriends. As far as Green Latern, I like John Stewart, though I would have prefered Kyle, Hal would have never happen, and if they do a movie it will be Kyle, mainly because of the fact that Hal went nuts and killed hundreds of people and tried to even kill the JLA. As far as the show, my favorite character is Flash, he is hilarious, of course I like Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman is cool on the show.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:54:03 AM
I'll admit that John Stewart is well done in the cartoon, but in the comics he was horrible! And once again, I hate Ron Marz. HE is the guy responsible for destroying Hal Jordan, one of DC's last remaining Vanguard characters until a few years back. I hate that man with passion.

Hal didn't go crazy, he was quite sane. He just wanted to fix things that shouldn't have happened because he was essentially lied to. Then again, Hal also saved the world, and is now the Spectre, which is really lame, and not deserving of the integrity his character had.

Kyle is interesting, yes, but, he's not as intruiging as Hal was. Kyle is also a jerk, and, well, he's also got that whole created by Ron Marz thing going on that gets me cheesed off on him.

The rest of the crew are okay, and I like how they've actually made J'ohn J'onnz (Martian Manhunter) interesting. He didn't do to well at that in the comics. The Flash is a bit too hammy sometiems, but I like him,a nd Batman is always cool.

Still, this new Superman movie sure isn't getting a lot of praise from me...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2002, 09:48:11 PM
Two things first here is Ratner's opinion on the script and he has harsh things to say

Superman: Brett Ratner has been speaking with other Aussie outlets including Moviehole this week and the subject of the script review came up: "Oh god. Yeah, that wasn’t even a draft. It was ridiculous. Some old script – someone with too much time on his or her hands. I mean I agree with some stuff, I mean some of it spilt over into my script, but Lex Luthor is NOT going to be an Alien and we ARE blowing up Krypton. It keeps the law that people know but it goes a step further. I can do the -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- I want. I mean I have DC Comics and all the creators of the cartoon behind me. Some people aren’t going to like it, that’s inevitable. Thing is, I know it’ll be a boring movie If I just remake Dick Donner’s film, because it’s already done. I mean I haven’t changed it much at all – I just added some new -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-, so how can anyone be mad at me. And we’re talking about the trilogy – it’s full on. Conference calls with the studio and Jon Peters". Thanks to 'Clint'

I mean he sure doesn't care what he says, well at least we know that script is mostly out the window, hopefully they keep the cool stuff. There is also rumor that he is going to cast Hopkins as Superman's father. That would work you would need a big actor to play his father, now who will he get to play Luthor and Superman. Finally if its a triology I think Darksied should play a role in it, he is Superman's ultamate nemesis, he is an alien who is bigger and more powerful than superman, he would make one cool bad guy.

JMK
Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:27:29 PM
Hold it! NO one is more powerful than the Supe! :p

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:41:56 AM
In an interview, there was a whole question about Ed Norton being Luthor. That sounds good :)

Why are so many comics being made these days though? I mean, from 99 we have Mystery Men, X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil, Blade, Superman, Batman, Punisher, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Elektra..........where will they fit? :)

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 08:44:17 AM
The last four are in the works, no?
Anyone remember Punisher w/ Dolph Lundgren?

Taylor Millard
Oct 24th, 2002, 08:51:28 AM
Dammit my post got eaten! :lol

Basically it goes like this:

The new Marvel Editor in Chief and the new President know Marvel isn't making a ton of money (They've almost gone out of business atleast twice in the last 6 years).

Since they had success with Spider-Man as a movie, X-Men, and Blade I and II they figure to make more movies to help bring in some money until the comics continue to turn around.

Also if you notice, out of the comic heroes mentioned by Fett, only Batman, Superman, and Mystery Men aren't Marvel Comics.

And let's not forget that MIB was a Marvel Comics mini-series before transferring over to Dark Horse (i THINK)

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:16:12 AM
It was comics I believe.

Oh, and Bulletproof Monk, out next year, was a comic :)

JMK, if I remember right:

Punisher is scripted and is now being tweaked
Fantastic Four has been ready for AGES, but has troubles
Ghost Rider has a script, Nic Cage I believe is signed on.
Elektra is made by the same as Daredevil, although the script and direction will most likely be by new people. Think this one will depend on Daredevils success.

Having read Contest of Champions 2 now, I hope and pray for Deadpool: The movie :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:50:08 AM
The Fantastic Four has been picked up again by Columbus who is going to produce, they are currently working on a script and looking at 2004 right now. They are also working on Iron Man, The Silver Surfer, Captain America, another Punisher movie, The SubMariner, and Green Latern just to name a few.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:59:29 AM
Geez, these comic adaptations are soon going to outnumber the teen gross-out movies!

Who's on deck to portray Punisher?

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:36:59 PM
Dont know, but Ray Park is Iron Man, forgot that :)

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 01:24:36 PM
The site also learned that the film's writer-director Mark Steven Johnson will NOT be penning the screenplay for the big-screen Elektra spin-off (set to star Jennifer Garner). He and Daredevil producer Gary Foster will produce the film, however, and the option for Johnson to direct remains open.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 24th, 2002, 01:32:07 PM
Well, it's not hard to see why Marvel is focusing so much on their movies. It's the only way they can make some money.

I mean, it's no wonder they've almost gone under twice; their books, well, suck for the most part. They forgot that the story is what drives a comic, not the flashy art and excessive bra sizes they've been getting into lately. Most all of their books lack substance, and now they're havign a hard time getting writers and artists to stay witht ehm because they can't pay as much anymore.

Though, after seeing some recent developments with DC, I think they're headed in the same direction. I mean, the've now completely ruined Green Lantern. The legacy is gone, no more wonder, folks. Yep, they replaced him, AGAIN! This time with lack-luster whiney-star John Sterwart. I can understand diversity, but, this guy sucks! Always has! Grah! I just hope the movie features Hal.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:12:32 PM
Ray Park is playing Iron Fist, have no clue who will play Iron Man. As far as the Punisher, they were trying to get Vin Disel, not sure how that worked out. Most of those movies are in script hell write now, FF, is probably closest to getting started, I hope they don't mess up Doctor Doom, he is the best villain in the Comics (I am hoping they pick either Gary Oldman or Jeremy Irons to play him) there were some rumors that they wanted George Clooney to play Reed Richards, not sure how that would work out, though he has the hair going for him.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:41:57 PM
That would be a good choice IMO, but the FF uniform might be a bit lame for Clooney.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:55:30 PM
I actually doubt they will use the blue spandex, mostly likely something new like with X-Men.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:00:06 PM
It would be too funny if they used baby blue spandex on guys like Clooney!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:15:12 PM
That would be funny. Also I have the perfect cast for FF
Reed Richards/ Mr Fantastic George Clooney
Susan Storm/ The Invisible Woman- Charlise Thereon (not sure if I spelled her name right)
Johnny Storm/ The Human Torch- Paul Walker
Ben Grimm/ The Thing- Tom Siezmore
Dr. Doom-Gary Oldman or Jeremy Irons (both would be perfect)

ReaperFett
Oct 25th, 2002, 03:50:01 AM
Charlize I think

And I like your cast, aside from the invisible woman doesnt look like her IMO, and I've never seen a Paul Walker film

JMK
Oct 25th, 2002, 08:38:58 AM
I could also see Matt Damon as The Thing and someone like Maria Bello as the Invisible Woman...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 25th, 2002, 11:14:40 AM
The Thing is hard to cast, so I was thinking who had a good voice and Seizmore comes to mind. Walker fits the Torch, IMO, though I guess there could be other candidates. Still to me the critical pick is Doom, he is great in the comics and he can't come off cheesy, over the top maybe (that is why I said Oldman he is over the top a lot) Irons, could be good if he plays the part like he did Gruber in Die Hard 3, if he played the role like in Dungeons and Dragons or Time Machine, I would not be happy.

ReaperFett
Oct 25th, 2002, 11:19:17 AM
Id prefer Oldman over Irons, as Oldman can do psycho :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 25th, 2002, 04:49:51 PM
Yeah he can play over the top roles real good (The Professional, Fifth Element, etc) I am not sure if Doom is really psycho (maybe in a sense) he is more of megalmatic villain like Luthor though he really wants to conquer the world.

JMK
Oct 25th, 2002, 05:17:55 PM
I just watched the Professional this afternoon before work. I don't much care for Oldman because he is so over the top, but I think he would be a good pick for Dr. Doom.

ReaperFett
Oct 25th, 2002, 05:44:52 PM
I wouldnt say what I remember about Doom is he was Psycho, but Irons has to be a straight baddie or is bad, IMO (Compare Die Hard with a Vengeance to Dungeons & Dragons :)). Not fully there is probably a better wording :)

ReaperFett
Oct 25th, 2002, 06:29:18 PM
Bit more info. The Fantastic Four is scheduled, but they plan on doing a SPiderman with it. THat is, dont touch it until everything falls into place. Captain America will apparently do the same too.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 25th, 2002, 10:37:02 PM
About the FF, I think they are proceeding slowly on it because of the bad scripts, I know they had one where Dr doom turned into the Statue of Liberty or something like that and he died at the end (Doom should die in a film version), hopefully they are working on a better script. I know Fox wants to try to do it for 2004 but they could push it back again.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 26th, 2002, 12:27:25 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
And I like your cast, aside from the invisible woman doesnt look like her IMO

But...she's invisible! It doesn't matter what she looks like!! :lol

I know I know..just thought that sentance was funny. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:12:10 PM
lol! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 26th, 2002, 03:31:39 PM
Thanks for the sympathy laugh, Fett. :lol

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2002, 03:37:42 PM
Made me laugh :)