PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson....................has he gone insane?

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:09:10 AM
http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s682222.htm

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:14:19 AM
He gets points for trying. Right now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. What's the chance though, that when all is said and done, the studio will put out a movie in foreign languages with no subs?

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:26:13 AM
It seems pretty crazy to me.........it will have buzz though. Something like that will be all over the news. Its so weird!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:04:21 PM
No subs? :( *goes to brush up on her Aramaic*

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:10:58 PM
For one film? :)

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:19:48 PM
Yeah, why not, it's not like its a difficult language to learn...:rolleyes

;)

Logansmiddleclaw
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:21:32 PM
Imagine Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with no subtitles.

This sounds like a bad idea.

:smokin

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:21:34 PM
I bet it's an excuse to insult people he doesnt like ;)

Dae Jinn
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:25:41 PM
:lol

I watch asian movies that have chinese subs sometimes...:rolleyes
I think it would work if the visuals in the film are extremely well done :\

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:23:58 PM
I don't know if that is a good idea both languages are dead, and I know Gibson said well that is how they would have spoke well, we have no clue what Aramaic sounds like there is no one around who speaks it so we have no idea how to pronounce the accents, the same with Latin, all the accents are based on other Romanic language, but I bet if you could hope in a time machine and speak with the Romans they wouldn't understand a word you said in Latin. Hopefully he will come to his senses and at least put the movie in subtitles.

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:33:28 PM
I would put my money on seeing subtitles, but Gibson is alot more talented than people realize and especially after Braveheart, he could do very well for himself with this movie.

darth_mcbain
Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:56:06 PM
I agree JMK. Gibson is very talented, and I think that it might be possible that this might work. I don't think it will work all that well, personally. Even knowing the story, I think you need understanding of the language to get into it... But it could work - if I were him I would treat it almost as a silent movie, and try to convey all of the drama and "dialogue" as though nothing were being said at all.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:17:23 PM
Very, very interesting.

I really dont think it will be a cimematic hit. But, a vdeo / DVD one? Hey, if it's anywhere near accurate, it will become a cult thing for seminary students, someone will subtitle it and it will wind it's way around Christian circles.

dbn
Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:27:55 PM
I have been waiting for a film like this for years, but in my mind it would have been a sci-fi movie or something. I believe this is a very bold, and wonderful move. Sometimes I like to watch movies with out subs, and try to understand it by what I see and how the characters interact with each other. Than watch it again with the sub on, and see how close I am to getting it. Personally I think most of us have been to Sunday school at one time or another, or have seen this story in different movies about the last hours of Christ, and I believe most people will get it while watching it in a different language.

Darth Viscera
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:45:44 AM
Ooh, history. Finally. Me like.

Also, I hope that they don't try to make Jim Caviezel (plays Jesus Christ) look like a sex symbol for the female audience in order to rack up more dollar signs. The impact that would have on day to day life would be too bizarre for words.

"Ooh, shake it Jesus!"

:x :x

Lord Gue
Sep 24th, 2002, 11:44:16 AM
seems like a good idea to me

Sene Unty
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:12:24 PM
After thinking about it for a while I have reserved my self to simply wait till I see a preview or hear more. I don't know if it will work, but it will at least have some sort of buzz behind it. That will at least get people in the door.......

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:29:16 PM
I did study Hebrew for a year in college, but Aramaic is a little bit different. Of course, I was learning written Hebrew, for translation purposes. ^_^; i remember very little. :(

JonathanLB
Sep 25th, 2002, 06:12:37 AM
Boy does this sound stupid.

Mel Gibson is awesome, though, so we'll see.

Jim Caviezel is the man. I really like him, especially after The Count of Monte Cristo (not to mention Frequency).

Sene Unty
Sep 25th, 2002, 07:29:51 AM
Jim Caviezel was awesome in The Count of Monte Cristo, but can he pull of a good performance in a movie with a dead language and no subtitles......I don't know. I guess we'll wait and see.