Green Bay at Detroit

Washington at San Francisco

Seattle at NY Giants

Sunday, Night:
Cincinnati at Atlanta

Monday Night:
St. Louis at Tampa Bay

Bye Week: Oakland, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Baltimore

Same rules as always... first game kicks off at 12PM EST, so picks have to be no later than that time. Good luck everyone.

Note: Mods, please sticky this at the top of the forum. Thanks.

sirdizzy
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:08:38 PM
Tennessee
Miami
Minnesota
New England
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Indianapolis
San Diego
Denver
Green Bay
San Francisco
Seattle
Atlanta
Rams

ooopsy edit

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:18:50 PM
thanks Figrin I almost forgot about it :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:56:24 PM
FYI, you need to pick the Monday Night game yet, sirdizzy.

:)

Jedieb
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:05:10 PM
Cleveland at Tennessee WIN

NY Jets at Miami WIN

Carolina at Minnesota WIN

Kansas City at New England WIN

WIN New Orleans at Chicago

Dallas at Philadelphia WIN

WIN Indianapolis at Houston

Sunday, Late:
WIN San Diego at Arizona

Buffalo at Denver WIN

WINGreen Bay at Detroit

Washington at San Francisco WIN

Seattle at NY Giants WIN

Sunday, Night:
Cincinnati at Atlanta WIN

Monday Night:
WIN St. Louis at Tampa Bay

MNF is a tough pic. Tampa has played St. Louis tough in the regular season these last few years. But will the Rams go down to a 0-3 start? Despite putting up over 20 points last week, the Bucs are still struggling on offense. I really think the Rams will play desperate football and win this one. Because if they lose, their season may well be over.

Here's something shocking;
Rams, Niners, & Steelers are a combined 1-5. If not for a late game tying FG, they could have been 0-6.

San Diego, Denver, & Carolina are a combined 6-0.

You try to pick shockers, but it's still never works out the way you think it will.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:10:04 PM
Well Carolina did beat the worst two teams in the NFL so I don't think they will make the playoffs just yet, Denver and San Diego are interesting though one of them could make some waves.

jjwr
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:51:47 PM
(W)Cleveland at Tennessee

NY Jets at Miami(W)

Carolina at Minnesota(W)

Kansas City at New England (W)

New Orleans at Chicago (W)

Dallas at Philadelphia (W)

(W)Indianapolis at Houston

Sunday, Late:
(W)San Diego at Arizona

Buffalo at Denver (W)

(W)Green Bay at Detroit

Washington at San Francisco (W)

Seattle at NY Giants (W)

Sunday, Night:
Cincinnati at Atlanta (W)

Monday Night:
(W)St. Louis at Tampa Bay

JMK
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:22:56 PM
Sunday, Early:
Cleveland (W) at Tennessee

NY Jets at Miami (W)

Carolina (W) at Minnesota

New Orleans (W)at Chicago

Indianapolis (W) at Houston

Sunday, Late:
San Diego (W) at Arizona

Buffalo at Denver (W)

Green Bay (W) at Detroit

Seattle at NY Giants (W)

Sunday, Night:

Monday Night:
St. Louis (W) at Tampa Bay

dbn
Sep 19th, 2002, 09:11:31 PM
My picks for week 3 are!

Tennessee
Miami
Minnesota
New England
Chicago
Dallas (come on, and give dbn 2 wins in a row)
Indianapolis
San Diego
Denver
Green Bay
San Francisco
Giants
Atlanta
St. Louis

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:10:26 PM
*crosses her fingers*

Ok, here they are........

1. Cleveland

2. Miami

3. Minnesota

4. Philly

5. Saints

6. Eagles

7. Indy

8. Chargers

9. Broncos

10. Packers

11. 9ers

12. Giants

13. Falcons

14. Rams

*crosses her toes as well :)

Sene Unty
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:54:26 AM
MY PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Tennessee

Miami

Minnesota

New England

New Orleans

Philadelphia

Indianapolis

San Diego

Denver

Green Bay

San Francisco

Seattle

Atlanta

St. Louis

MY PICKS!!!! AAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:52:25 PM
Tennessee

Miami

Carolina

New England

Chicago

Philadelphia

Indianapolis

San Diego

Denver

Green Bay

San Francisco

NY Giants

Cincinnati

St. Louis

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:48:57 PM
Cleveland at Tennessee W

NY Jets at Miami W

Carolina at Minnesota W

Kansas City W at New England

New Orleans W at Chicago

Dallas at Philadelphia W

Indianapolis W at Houston

Sunday, Late:
San Diego at Arizona W

Buffalo at Denver W

Green Bay W at Detroit

Washington at San Francisco W

Seattle at NY Giants W

Sunday, Night:
Cincinnati at Atlanta W

Monday Night:
St. Louis W at Tampa Bay

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:56:21 PM
Cleveland
Miami
Minnesota
Kansas
Chicago
Dallas
Indianapolis
San Diego
Denver
Green Bay
San Fransisco
Seattle
Atlanta
St Louis

Figrin D'an
Sep 21st, 2002, 11:49:02 AM
Cleveland at Tennessee (W)

NY Jets (W) at Miami

Carolina at Minnesota (W)

New Orleans at Chicago (W)

Indianapolis (W) at Houston

San Diego (W) at Arizona

Buffalo at Denver (W)

Green Bay (W) at Detroit

Seattle at NY Giants (W)

St. Louis (W) at Tampa Bay

JonathanLB
Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:37:36 AM
I haven't picked yet, but it says that kickoff is 1 p.m. ET, because right now it's just pre-coverage, I've not even turned on my TV or anything but I went to ESPN to make sure no games have started, and it doesn't seem they have. Sorry, was really busy with my Website work this last few days.

Tennessee

Miami

Minnesota

New England

Chicago

Philadelphia

Indianapolis

Arizona

Denver

Green Bay

San Francisco

NY Giants

Atlanta

St. Louis

JonathanLB
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:26:31 PM
"*crosses her toes as well" Must have worked because you did pretty well, haha.

You guys all did well so far. My god, what a predictable week. A few people have only 2 wrong picks so far as I counted, nobody has more than 5 wrong, and basically everyone beat me with 3 wrong or so.

I was really setup to get almost everything right, but the Vikings blew a lead, the Bears jumped in front by 20 only to lose, which I couldn't have predicted, as I really thought they were the better team and they showed it early on, then I was just really surprised by Tennessee's loss...

At one point, before I took a nap, I had 6 games I was correctly picking, and the 7th game the Patriots were down by 1 point (10-9), so I thought, dang, I could win all 7 of these! Then the Patriots DO complete a comeback and win, as I thought they would, but somehow 3 other teams find ways to snatch defeat from the hands of victory ;)

Oh well, this is already my best week I guess so I can't complain. :\

Interesting that not ONE of you picked the Redskins to beat the Niners, and I'm glad! :) Don't want anyone losing points by betting against my team, haha, but still that is surprising.

As for the Niners game, well again, I really, really think this defense is awesome. It was great last week too, and it was only because of the screw-ups of the offense that they actually et up 24 points by the end, but I watched the whole game, and that was an excellent defensive effort. This week was even better, only allowing 10 points. The running game is FINALLY on track again, which is great to see, one of the most spectacular running games of the entire season so far, more than 250 yards rushing for the Niners. That's very impressive and something you rarely see in pro football. Nonetheless, I have to be harsh on the Niners again because that passing game just sucked. It's not the Niners passing team I know. Garcia was sick apparently so I guess that could be it too, but I have seen 3 games so far from this 2002 Niners team and not one time I have been impressed, as a whole, with the way they have played. The first game was a win, that is about all I can say, and I will also say that the Giants defense is, obviously, very good. They have no trouble keeping teams below 20 points it seems. So that could be a partial excuse for the Niners ineptitude in week one, but I still don't find it acceptable to score no more than 20 points in 3 games for a team with as much offensive talent as the Niners. It just isn't happening so far, this team is going to need to improve a great deal to get anywhere. Oh well, 2-1 is ok, they're not in bad shape yet, they just aren't playing as well as I'd like given that their next game, in two weeks, is vs. the Rams. And I will be picking the Niners, as should anyone, because the Rams just lost two games. :) Badly.

The Patriots still do not impress me all that much. They are quite beatable. The team that most impresses me so far, to be honest, has to be the Miami Dolphins. They have put out CONVINCING victories so far, and I am sorry but I honestly fail to see how anyone could have chosen the Jets to beat Miami, that just... was not smart. Almost as dumb as me putting the Lions to beat Miami, haha, and I admitted that was pretty much a joke ;)

Sene Unty
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:31:54 PM
So Miami has made a believer out of you huh! :D That's good. Now they gotta beat KC worse than NEw England did. If they can do that they can prove they are better that the Patriots, who are basically the only real danger to the Dolphins right now......

jjwr
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:39:25 PM
Beating the same teams doesn't mean much....the Pats beat the Jets 44-7 which was worse than the Dolphins, we'll find out soon enough cause they'll be playing each other twice this year! Those should be some great games, first is October and I think the 2nd in December, Pats vs Phins are always a good game.

Figrin D'an
Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:57:26 PM
Week 3 Totals (minus Rams/Bucs):

sirdizzy: 10-3
Jedieb: 11-2
jjwr: 11-2
JMK: 13-0
dbn: 9-4
Sene Unty: 10-3
Darth Snack: 10-3
Jedi Master Carr: 9-4
ReaperFett: 8-5
Figrin D'an: 9-4
JonathanLB: 9-4

Notes: Lady Daiquri - I didn't catch this earlier, but you have Philadelphia listed twice in your picks, and you missed the Chiefs/Patriots game. We'll need to get that resolved before I can make a tally for you.

JMK has a perfect week going so far... pretty impressive.

Interestingly enough, everyone is going with the Rams on Monday Night... the Bucs always play the Rams tough, should be an good matchup, especially with the Rams offense struggling... of course, I took the Jets over Miami for the same reason, and look what happened there... :rolleyes ...

Chiefs/Pats was a great game... the AFC East is being set up nicely for the first showdown between New England and Miami.

3-0 teams so far:

Miami
New England
New Orleans
Carolina
San Diego
Denver

One could have expected Miami start out well... Maybe San Diego, because they have had a soft schedule so far (Cincinnati, Houston, Arizona)... But, Carolina? New Orleans? Denver?
Yet more signs of league parity.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:11:38 PM
Bah!! *scowls* I know it wont count but I truly havent seen or heard any results on any of the games and with no offense to Jon, I didnt read his post cos its waaaaay long!

IF I hadnt messed up, I would have picked the Pats to win. Oh well :(

Please, if you would, just go ahead and put me down for a loss on that. :cry

JonathanLB
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:21:55 AM
It's ok, I know reading is tough ;)

lol, j/k you. No offense taken :D

Again I did pretty bad compared to some people here, but oh well, I guess I did alright. GRRR

JonathanLB
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:22:33 AM
...and JMK, you are a GOD! :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:47:23 AM
I'm never picking Cincinnati again! :verymad

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:59:44 AM
I guess its been a good weekend for me on more than the NFL front. Got my trophy for coaching the women's softball team to a second consecutive championchip, and won the playoffs in the co-ed league I play in! Now I just need the Rams to wake up and make it a perfect week.

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:32:35 AM
Damn it JMK next week I'm picking what you pick.:D Dolphin fans unite!!!!!!!!!!

:D

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:04:45 AM
Hop on my shoulders Sene, and I will carry us to the mecca! :lol

Really though, what were the chances for a perfect week? I mean, c'mon, who really expected the Browns to win?? ;)

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:30:06 AM
Well I should have.....damn Browns have a good team.

Jedieb
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:56:30 AM
JMK is the DEVIL! :evil

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:15:11 AM
No, I just took a play out of Biff Tannen's book. I went ahead a few years and bought a sports almanac!

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:23:43 AM
Give it to me!!!!! I Wanna win!!!! You better hope you don't go perfect agian next week....people will think your cheating :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:13:55 PM
I wonder why you got them all right :p

sirdizzy
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:52:34 PM
i don't know why i keep changing my pics from what i pick on espn's pigskin pickem this is the second week i have cost myself a point by doing so i had giants on espn and i went with seatly here

dbn
Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:16:50 PM
Miami
New England
New Orleans
Carolina
San Diego
Denver

I think from this list of teams that are 3-0, we might see one of them form the AFC, and the NFC at the superbowl: I think we might see Denver or Miami from the AFC, and New Orleans or Philadelphia from the NFC at the superbowl this year. .

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:29:44 PM
Boy do the Rams ever look scary. Sure the Bucs are solid defensively, but this is crazy! They're putting my perfect week in danger!

Update: Way to go Warner. Another pick in the 4th and now its 19-7 after the failed 2 point conversion.

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:38:13 PM
Week 3 Totals:

sirdizzy: 10-4
Jedieb: 11-3
jjwr: 11-3
JMK: 13-1
dbn: 9-5
Sene Unty: 10-4
Darth Snack: 10-4
Jedi Master Carr: 9-5
ReaperFett: 8-6
Figrin D'an: 9-5
JonathanLB: 9-5
Lady Daiqiuri: 11-3

Season Totals:

dbn: 25-21
Taylor Millard: 9-7
ReaperFett: 26-20
Sene Unty: 27-19
Darth Snack: 31-15
JMK: 29-17
Jedieb: 27-19
Figrin D'an: 27-19
Jedi Master Carr: 27-19
jjwr: 27-19
JonathanLB: 20-26
Lady Daiquiri: 27-19
sirdizzy: 29-17

Looks like everyone took one on the chin with the Rams losing again. I've never understood why so many people felt that it was Kurt Warner and the deep passing game that made the Rams so good. I've been saying for three years that the core of that offensive attack is the versatility of Marshall Faulk. Tonight's game, and this season so far in general, has proven that point. When Faulk doesn't run the ball, or isn't in the game, the Rams become very one dimensional (not totally from a lack of backup talent, but because of the playcalling). The Rams offensive line is not playing well so far this season, either. The Broncos, Giants and Bucs all were able to generate a huge pass rush and disrupt the timing of Warners passes. If they don't improve their play (and it's not just St. Clair at right tackle), the Rams will not win many games this year.

For the record, no team that has started 0-3 has ever made it to the Super Bowl. Only a few have even made the playoffs. Not a good sign for St. Louis.

JonathanLB
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:15:45 PM
I am glad the Rams lost again. They are just what they SHOULD be and what they ALWAYS were: WHIPPING BOYS, DOORMATS. The LAMBS are always supposed to suck, and thank god they are back to their rightful place, below the 49ers, and sucking hard.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:39:53 AM
Gah, people are catching me.

JMK
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:39:43 AM
I didn't see Warner throw one nice ball last night. And I think he threw more interceptions than completions!

Joking of course, but the Rams do look horrendous. I've always agreed that Faulk was the horse of that team, but I didn't think they were that much of a one-dimensional team. And its crazy how much their weak offensive line gets exposed when they aren't scoring points with Faulk.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:07:33 AM
*throws her hands in the air* Sheesh! I might as well give up! Im doing terrible! But Ive thought this through. I have a new strategy! Once Ivepicked a team, Im going to do a 180 and pick the other one! Cant be any worse than how Ive been doing already! ;)

Sene Unty
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:36:10 AM
Your not doing that bad.....hell if that's bad then we're in the same boat. Things will turn around.....I hope :D

JMK
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:38:56 AM
You're 27-19 and you're not happy? That's a pretty good record!

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:55:09 AM
So will the Rams finally admit it's time to panic? I really think Faulk should have played in the second half. The Rams should have treated that game like a playoff game. Sure they've got Dallas next week, but 0-3 is a huge hole. Plus, they're are FEWER wild card slots with the new alignment. The Rams will be lucky to get to 10-6 and that might not be enough to make the playoffs.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:28:51 AM
I agree the Rams are in trouble that was a huge loss, only 5 teams have started 0-3 and made the playoffs, it won't be easy for the Rams. Looks S.F will win that division now. And with that who is the favorite in the NFC Philly, they have looked really impressive two straight weeks.

Sene Unty
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:09:51 PM
Lets talk more about the greatness of the dolphins. :D Seriously, the Rams are in big trouble. They are in real danger of not doing anything this year! I can't believe how bad they look. They seem to get no offense going at all. I agree with Jedi Master Carr, the eagles look solid in their last two wins, but what about the Saints. 3 and 0 against some good teams. They are my favorite to go in for the NFC at this point.

Oh and JMK, my record isn't good at all. :D

JMK
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:32:42 PM
Dude, 27-19 ain't that bad! It could be alot worse!

But you know who is really good? Sam Madison. Now he's good. :D

Sene Unty
Sep 24th, 2002, 02:30:34 PM
Sam Madison is awesome......as is Patrick Surtain........he's healthy by the way.....REJOICE!!!! :D

JonathanLB
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:51:57 PM
You insult me by saying that 27-19 is BAD, come on, look at my record! Two bad starting weeks, much like the Rams, but unlike the Rams, I did well the third week, haha.

I don't care where I finish as far as "rankings" go here, but I would like to be able to finish at about 60% or so, that would be good. If you can predict 60% of the games accurately you're doing pretty well in this league unfortunately, haha.

Wow wouldn't that be something if the 49ers claimed their division once again, ahhh.... Return to glory! :) That would just be wonderful.

JMK
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:32:06 PM
I don't see why the Niners can't claim their division title already. At 0-3, the Rams would be lucky to finish 10-6, surely the Niners will beat that.

Sene Unty
Sep 25th, 2002, 07:28:10 AM
The Rams will put up no kind of fight. After watching the last three games the only thing I can say is: THEY SUCK. I dont think they'll get close to 10-6........they will not get to the playoffs playing like they have. Nope.....it will not happen :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2002, 11:58:33 AM
Did you guys here about Randy Moss? He ran over a Police officer with his car (luckly she is okay). He was charaged with a second degree assault I don't think he will escape this time, I suspect he will be going to jail for at least a few years. And I say good ridance he is the most arrogant, stupid player in the game who doesn't even give 100% there are plenty of players of lesser abilities who are better than him.

Jedieb
Sep 25th, 2002, 01:35:51 PM
The details are coming out now. She wasn't a cop, she was a traffic officer. Apparently Moss nudged her with his car and she fell down. Not to defend this moron, but it was more bizarre than violent. Either way, he deserves the pison cell he's sitting in. There's a small chance he'll miss this week's game. Either he'll still be in jail, or he may be suspended. Moss is the poster child for why sometimes all the talent in the world is still not enough. If he had Jerry Rice's work ethic, all of Rice's records would be in jeopardy. As it is, he'll propably be out of the league before he's 30. What a friggin' waste of talent.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2002, 01:58:32 PM
As much as I agree that Randy Moss is little more than a spoiled child, I seriously doubt that he will see any extended jail time for this incident. Maybe he'll miss this weekend's game, maybe the league will choose to suspend him for a period of time, but in the end, he'll get a big name, high priced attorney to plea bargin the charges down to a lesser felony, and he'll get time-served, probation, and lose his drivers license. That's bascially the way it works with high profile cases involving athletes. Unless it's a murder case, like with OJ or Ray Caruth, they'll always get little to nothing for a sentence (and even then, we saw that they can get away with murder).

Moss is an ass, and he deserves to be behind bars already for the incident he pulled while a Notre Dame recruit... but it won't happen. He'll get off with a slap on the hand.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2002, 02:45:37 PM
See... didn't take long for my point to be proven.

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0925/1436592.html

Tianje Xhu
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:01:54 PM
THIS is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread!! (sorry, cant remember which one and it was "Daiq" ranting).

Professional athletes should not be allowed back onto the field/court when an act such as this is so flagrant!!!

His sorry patooty should be fired, not only from the team, but from the league! Moss should not be allowed to ever play professionally again! The traffic cop tried to stop and he blatantly disregarded her authority!

I say BOO!!! to the Vikings, thier coach and the NFL rules that allow this!

Tianje Xhu
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:08:08 PM
The evil hubby just asked me if I had seen the new football movie. I, of course said, "No, what football movie?" His reply was, "Silence Of The Rams." LOL!! :D

Jedieb
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:23:52 PM
People are usually held for 36 hours on those kinds of offenses in that area. So it's no surprise that Moss got out a few hours earlier. But at least he did have to spend a night in the can. What will probably keep him out of the game will be some kind of disciplinary action by the league or the Vikings, although I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. It's just pathetic that so much of what happens with Moss is negative. He brings it all on himself. Whenever he starts blabbing about how the media just focuses on the negative and distorts, blah, blah, he makes me want to throw up. Yeah, the media can distort and blow things out of proportion, but Moss has made himself a target. He's got no one to blame but himself.

JMK
Sep 25th, 2002, 06:51:19 PM
We could fill a book with athletes that just bring trouble on themselves. Randy Moss, Michael Irvin and other idiots all deserve real jail time and deserve to take some real beat downs from inmates who want to teach them a lesson for letting their talents go down the crapper by being spoiled brats.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:46:34 PM
Originally posted by Tianje Xhu
His sorry patooty should be fired, not only from the team, but from the league! Moss should not be allowed to ever play professionally again!

As much as I have a personal dislike for Moss, I have to disagree with this statement. The Vikings releasing him and the league banning him would be no different that you or I losing our jobs and being prohibited from procurring another in the same field, because of a misdameanor legal incident.

The legal system will deal with Moss. His status as a high-profile athlete will save him from more serious punishment, despite his prior record. As disappointing as that may be, it's a simple fact that exists in our society.

Ultimately, the league will do what it feels is necessary regarding his future in the NFL. They have policies in place to deal with things like this.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:27:51 PM
Moss is an idiot, too bad he couldn't have served time in jail. He is the worst player in the league and I say that because of his statement, that I don't play at 100% all the time, that statement shows how much a fool he is. Heck half the WR in the league are better than him. Also I hope the Vikings continue to lose it will serve Moss and the team right.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:38:44 PM
Moss has a couple of strikes against him with the Vikings organization already... including that Red McCombs doesn't like him very much...

His career with Minnesota will be limited, but the Vikings won't dump him for at least another 2 seasons... he would count too much against the salary cap, even if they did release him. The Vikings will have to decide whether or not the want to take the cap hit now (meaning in the next couple of years), or keep him around and watch the team chemistry continue to degrade.

Tianje Xhu
Sep 25th, 2002, 10:09:31 PM
Sorry, Fig, no go. The traffic officer was trying to stop him from making an illegal turn, which he did anyway, then using his car, he deliberately pushed her halfway down the block until she fell down.

I wouldnt do that. I have more respect for people and I think you do, too. Moss obviously doesnt. He did as he jolly well pleased, regardless--let me say that again-- regardless of the fact that what he was doing was illegal and that she had the authority to stop him.

He did as he wanted and now should have the wrath of the courts thrown at him, along with that of the fans, the team and the NFL. And shame on them all if they condone it by letting him return!

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2002, 12:02:01 AM
It's not about condoning his actions. It's about avoiding double standards.

Kicking Moss out of the league wouldn't solve much. It would create a media firestorm, and subject the entire Vikings organization to even more scrutiny and negative attention than is already present. That's hardly fair the Vikings organization, their coaching staff, or the rest of their players. The best way to handle this latest incident is to let the district courts in Minneapolis handle the legal end, then let the league disburse it's punishment (a fine, suspension or both). If Moss doesn't show behavioral and on-field improvement, the Vikings will release him when the salary cap hit is less significant. Chances are, in that case, no other team will want to sign him, and he'll fade away from the league...

Sometimes, the quick judgement, instant punishment route isn't the way to go. It only serves to make turn a managable problem into a uncontrollable one.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2002, 12:16:03 AM
I think Moss could become another Lawerence Phillips, who can't even make it in the CFL, and vanish like him, both players have a lot a talent but there attitude and behavior are their downfall.

JMK
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:19:20 AM
Unfortunately there will always be someone willing to take a chance on Moss, at least until he's physically washed up. And while Phillips' attitude stinks, and has skipped 2 games for no reason, he's still the leading rusher in the league. I think he will be back in the NFL next season at least as a back up. The same will apply to Moss. He's got too much talent for someone not to take a chance on him. And that's the part that sucks. I wish these clowns would fade into obscurity forever and go down as complete busts.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2002, 09:37:18 AM
I thought Philips was released? Of course I could have heard that wrong, maybe it was him missing two games that I read. Well even if Moss is still playing in a couple of years I doubt he will get the kind of money he is making now. I am almost certain that the Vikings will release him in about 2 years (at that time they can cut him without hurting their salary cap) and Moss will have hard time finding a team willing to pay him the money he is making now, if he still wants to play he will have take reduce pay, of course he might say he deserves more and sit out until he gets it. Ricky Watters is currently doing that (he was offered less than a million a year by a couple of teams and he said he is worth more than that and will retire first). Now Moss might get more than that but not much, and I am not sure if is willing to take a huge salary cut to play, considering his attitude.

Jedieb
Sep 26th, 2002, 11:02:24 AM
I've seen Moss do things that most other NFL receivers simply aren't CAPABLE of doing. The only other receiver in the league that comes close to matching his physical gifts is Owens. Moss has more speed and much better hands, but Owens beats him on strength and possibly route running. He'll always have a job as long as he can physically perform and doesn't fall into the league's substance abuse policy. BTW, they found some pot in his car. Of course his lawyer says it wasn't his, but it sounds to me like the league has enough to test him on the spot. Who knows what they'll do.

I'm with Figrin on the whole kicking him out of the league issue. You can't ban him for this. It's still just a misdemeanor, and all signs point to it being more bizarre than violent. I'd love to see him lose a game check, but the $50,000 fine the league is going to give is suffiecient. I think people overreact when it comes to athletes and the law. Why should we expect anymore from athletes than we do everyday citizens? People get robbed, raped, and murdered everyday in our society. The Cowboys and Nate Newton can only do so much! Exactly what pod are athletes grown from that we expect all of them to be perfect citizens? These men are coming from American homes and cities. This is what you get when you exault a group of citizens because they can run and jump faster than you. Some will be good, some will be bad. It's a reflection of our OWN society; some good, some bad. For every Randy Moss there are several Cal Ripkens. For every Mike Tyson there's a dozen Steve Youngs or Troy Aikmans. If the ratio of athletes getting in trouble is higher than what you get in our society it's mainly because they've been given way too much attention and money. But again, there still coming from the same place the rest of us do. Trust me, if all of your friends were transformed into the starting lineup of the Yankees, a couple of them would turn into colossal jackasses by the end of the season. Although I'd be righteous throughout my stellar Hall of Fame career. Honest, I really would!

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2002, 11:28:38 AM
Jedieb's comments are exactly to what I was referring when I meant avoiding double standards. Athletes, on a personal level, are nothing more than a microcosm of our society. Some are upstanding citizens, but some have severe problems. When an athlete, or famous person screws up, the public and media often feel that they instantaneously are granted the right be judge, jury and executioner. The irony in that line of thought is that, in many cases, it is the very attention, the "fame", that we as a society give to such people, that is part of the root problem.

I do not condone what Randy Moss did. He acted foolishly, and he should be punished appropriately. The key word here is "appropriately." If one of us was in the same position, we would be subject to the same laws, but I seriously doubt that the public would be screaming that we never be allowed to work in our chosen vocations ever again.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 26th, 2002, 06:56:16 PM
But we do have have double standards! How can you guys talking about avoiding them when theyre so blatant?

Movies stars...they do something wrong, they get a slap on the wrist. Our stellar athletes, they do something wrong, again, they get a slap on the wrist.

If either you or I did something that idiotic, we would receive something more than that. More than likely, we'd spend a few days in jail plus a fine. Why should they be any different?

Mike Tyson is back in the ring. Sprewell continued playing for choking his coach! Now, Moss is going to get to return to football.

At sometime, we the fans and the ordinary people of this nation are going to have to demand an accounting. Big deal, he can shoot a 3 pointer! Moss can catch a football! Who cares?

These people are in the public eye and are supposed to be the cream of the crop and this is what we get for paying them thier tremendously overly exaggerated paychecks??

There will be no double standard when the professional athletes and entertainers and politicians in our country are treated the same as those who make this country run....and thats us!

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:45:12 PM
But, as we have stated, it is the public and society that creates those disparities.

"If either you or I did something that idiotic, we would receive something more than that. More than likely, we'd spend a few days in jail plus a fine. Why should they be any different?"

Refering to Moss, I assume... What is to say that you or I would not have received similar treatment. The felony charge was reduced to two misdemeanor charges, his bail was paid, and he was released. That's standard procedure. He still will have a hearing to address those charges at a later date, and in the meantime, he is free to continue his life. How is that so different from how "John Q. Public" would be treated?

"At sometime, we the fans and the ordinary people of this nation are going to have to demand an accounting. Big deal, he can shoot a 3 pointer! Moss can catch a football! Who cares?"

Who cares? Apparently, we do. The fans. The general public. Why else would professional sports be as enourmous an industry as it is today? If we didn't care, then why do we make game predictions and create fantasy sports leagues? We buy the tickets and the concessions, we foot the bills for new stadiums through our tax dollars, we make major sporting events consistently place on the top end of the weekly television ratings. We're the ones that want these people in the spotlight in the first place, because we want entertainment.

"These people are in the public eye and are supposed to be the cream of the crop and this is what we get for paying them thier tremendously overly exaggerated paychecks??"

Again, I ask, who is it that places them in the public eye, and looks up to them as role models in the first place? And no... we pay them to play the games. Overpaid? Perhaps. But we continue to pay them nevertheless. How would you feel if someone said you were overpaid because you got drunk and got a public intoxication citation? Would you feel that is relevent to your job? If you are a good worker, and get praise from your boss and co-workers for your performance, wouldn't you feel a bit upset at such a comment?

"There will be no double standard when the professional athletes and entertainers and politicians in our country are treated the same as those who make this country run....and thats us!"

So, athletes, entertainers and politicians aren't part of the collective group that runs the country? Who puts the politicians in office? Who makes entertainment and professional sports such lucrative and desirable fields?

Mike Tyson screwed up, and he paid the price... he went to prison. He's out now, and boxing again, because the public wants to see him in the ring, and it's the only job he's known in his life. Latrell Sprewell screwed up, and got into a physical altercation with his then coach, P.J. Carlesamo. (Note: Carlesamo chose not to press charges, even though he could have.) He paid the price by being fined and suspended. He continues to play, and, according to his teammates and current head coach on the Knicks, has been a valuable team member and has stayed out of trouble. Randy Moss screwed up, and he'll be punished. Yes, he has screwed up before, and yes, it makes the legitmacy of his claims that this was a big misunderstanding between him and the traffic officer less believable. Still, the legal system will deal with him, he's going to get a fine, and he might be suspended by the league, pending the results of the hearing.

That seems fair, doesn't it? That's how the system is supposed to work, right? Because a person is famous... an entertainer, a politician, an athlete... does that mean that they deserve a more harsh punishment than we do?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 26th, 2002, 09:13:34 PM
Fig....Bah!! ;)

We wont agree on this, so Im going to hush. (hears cheering in the background)

But its been a good debate :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2002, 09:40:51 PM
This could probably be "un-stickied" from the top of the forum, since the thread for the next week of picks is active now.