PDA

View Full Version : Do you think they will make an Austin Powers 4? (Watch out, I gave away the end)

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:53:03 PM
I think they should. Scott Evil is now the bad guy. I want to see just how much he is alike (and also different) from Dr. Evil.

Admiral Lebron
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:55:51 PM
SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!! I haven't seen it you dip-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-. And I'm sure others haven't!

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:56:42 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!

They should never of made 2 OR 3!

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:09:51 PM
Sorry Lebron. I figured most people would have by now. Maybe I should have put up a little warning about that before I had made the post....

JMK
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:10:23 PM
I enjoyed 2, and after you make 2, you may as well make 3, but Goldmember sucked IMO. I wouldn't be so anxious to see a part 4. The series seems to have lost steam, although Goldmember's box office says differently, I get the sense that most have seen enough of Austin Powers.

ReaperFett
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:51:49 PM
1 was good. 3 had its moments, but was overall dire, IMO

JonathanLB
Sep 18th, 2002, 04:52:42 PM
They keep perfecting this formula, I think.

One totally sucked, really, really badly.

Two was good. An enjoyable, if unremarkable film.

Three, which I just saw the for the second time yesterday (friends wanted to go), was even better than the first one, and although it still had its moments that did not work and its flat jokes, overall it is the best so far and really funny.

I welcome a fourth part, definitely, and I'm sure there will be one.

JMK
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:46:05 PM
I don't know about that. Apparently Myers wasn't that keen on even doing Goldmember. If he comes up with a new idea for a part 4, then bring it, otherwise, let it go, at least for now.

Zeke
Sep 18th, 2002, 07:23:23 PM
I'd like to see it. The series can conclude here, with the Good Guys win the day with a new evil lurking on the horizon, but I'd like to see Scott Evil try his hand at being an evil doctor.

Nupraptor
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:56:59 PM
I'd like the movies infinitely more if their style of humor was more along the lines of "No One Lives Forever" (PC Game). Tongue-in-Cheek humor is infinitely more amusing than disgustingly fat men getting anally probed.

JonathanLB
Sep 18th, 2002, 09:07:34 PM
Nothing beats Fat B*stard, he's the best. :)

You must have heard something totally different from everything I have read then, JMK. Every article I have ever read about the Austin Powers series indicates that he wants it to be a franchise like Bond that just keeps on going. I've read his direct comments indicating such even after the opening of Goldmember. It's his series, everyone knows that. It's not like the studio is twisting his arm to do it. He loves it!

I think there will be a fourth and who knows how many more total.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:57:28 AM
From what I gather, he didnt want to do Goldmember, but now wants to keep going, after how much fun he had.

JMK
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:33:18 AM
Ok, maybe I extrapolated my comments too far. But I know at one point that he didn't even want to do Goldmember, and I then assumed that if he didn't want to do part 3, he wouldn't want to do a part 4 or 5. My bad.

Sene Unty
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:31:33 PM
Actually I thought I read the same thing JMK. I heard he really was exhausted after the third one and wasn't up for another......

JMK
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:58:52 PM
Ok, at least I'm not alone in what I heard then...

JonathanLB
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:37:01 PM
Evidently we all don't know what this jerk is going to do next! :)

We'll just have to see. I won't be shedding a tear if there isn't a fourth, though...

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 19th, 2002, 09:29:34 PM
I disagree with you there, Jon... One was great, very original, and two was the same exact formula minus Liz Hurley (who can act) and add that obnoxious chick who can't act her way out of a paper bag.

Goldmember was only partially funny, and had a totally useless new bad guy, some sollidly unfunny scenes between a few funny ones. It seemed that they were looking for something... anything to just make another movie. I'd go see a fourth one just for scott evil, which I think (the ending of 3) was the only redeeming part about it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:16:06 PM
Ditto, they've gotten progressively worse. I'd skip #4 if there is one, even though I love Mike Myers to death. :D

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 20th, 2002, 01:01:33 AM
*is now thinking about scott evil*

mmmmmmmmmmmm...... scottttttt. :D

Arya Ravenwing
Sep 20th, 2002, 03:31:07 AM
mmmm true :D Seth Green is cuuuuuute!

flagg
Sep 20th, 2002, 07:09:21 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
They keep perfecting this formula, I think.

One totally sucked, really, really badly.

Yeah, and A New Hope was a really crappy Star Wars film, too :rolleyes

I fell asleep during Spy Who Shagged Me it was so unfunny. I've only seen the first ten minutes of Goldmember on Kazaa. It looked quite funny, but not enough to make me pay to see the whole film.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 20th, 2002, 07:14:52 AM
One was okay.

Two was rancid.

There is no way I'm going to see three.

Sene Unty
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:39:44 PM
Three was okay....the first one I did not like....maybe it was because everyone kept doing impersonations of him for like months. It bothered me alot whenever someone would say "do I make you horny baby?" Grrrrrrrrrr.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:51:55 PM
I think it only appeals to people of a certain age really, so as long as there are people of that age about, AP will be popular no matter how many movies they make, probably.

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2002, 01:00:00 PM
That I think is my biggest gripe with Austin Powers. People thinking its then cool to talk like him. Dr Evil, fine, you can use it to be funny, but Austin powers impressions are NOT funny. EVER.

JMK
Sep 20th, 2002, 01:02:31 PM
I agree with Lilaena, they've gotten worse story wise each time. Although I found the 2nd one's characters funnier, the story was lacking. And part 3 really let me down hard. If I were Myers, I'd let it die.

Darth23
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:33:11 PM
AP3 made 200 million.

That means they'll squeeze at lease 2 more out.

JonathanLB
Sep 21st, 2002, 02:15:22 AM
And the box office grosses would very much disagree with anyone who thinks they've gotten worse.

The first one was trash. I couldn't even believe I gave the 2nd one a chance after how lousy the first was, but I saw it on HBO without paying for it specifically, then I eventually bought it on DVD used for $10, and I like it. It's a funny, solid three star movie. It's pretty damn funny most of the time. Liz Hurley is hot, and she can act, you are right, but so can Heather Graham, who is a great young actress herself. She's also hot. Unfortunately for Liz Hurley, she had to be in the stinker (Serving Sara sure was a stinker too), but Heather got to be in the good one.

Goldmember was the best so far. It's true that the new villain was totally unfunny, he was just retarded, but in some way it was funny because he was so retarded. I dunno, he didn't bother me particularly, sure didn't add anything though. The third is just a damn funny movie. It's the best of the bunch so far, which isn't saying a whole lot given how bad the first was, but still.

Saying AP sucks is not like saying ANH sucks. These stories do not frickin' build on each other. Star Trek 1 is pretty lame compared to any even numbered one, so what? Terminator was a great film, but T2 blew it away. There is no competition there. The first film is still a highly enjoyable sci-fi masterpiece, IMO, but man, I'd take T2 in a heartbeat.

It's either the first film that is a total masterpiece and the second sucks, or often times the first was a good concept but they didn't quite get it right, so then they try again with a second and WAM, they got it this time, with a higher budget and better actors or whatever. Many people would say Aliens is better than Alien. I am not one of those people (I am too much of a Ridley Scott fan to say that, hehe, but for me they are neck and neck).

Nobody agrees with me perhaps, but I feel that the Beverly Hills Cop movies only get better. The first is a classic, a great film, and the next two are even better. The third is my favorite, and the only one I saw in theaters, but I was already a fan before I saw that third. Don't see why anyone wouldn't like it, I mean, same formula, same great characters, better soundtrack, funnier, looks newer, more professional, etc.

Now needless to say it's necessary to have an Austin Powers or you don't have an Austin Powers 2 and 3, but nobody ever wrote a law saying, "YOU MUST LIKE THE FIRST MOVIE OR YOU CANNOT LIKE ITS SEQUELS!" I mean, come on.

JMK
Sep 21st, 2002, 04:09:52 PM
The first Austin Powers is light years better than Goldmember. It was all new then, with Goldmember, its old and tired. Sure the box office grosses differ, but I don't a rats rear about what the grosses say.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2002, 08:28:21 PM
Hey, I'm glad you agree with me, JMK. :D

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:37:20 PM
Well, this is true. They did use a lot of the old Austin Powers 2 jokes in Goldmember. But when Ozzy comes out of nowhere and complains about it, that was classic.

Dexter
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:19:41 AM
And the box office grosses would very much disagree with anyone who thinks they've gotten worse.

SINCE WHEN THE FRELL DID BOX OFFICE RETURN MAKE A QUALITY MOVIE?!?!

Well?

Dont even think of using that statement. Britney Spears sells records, yet she is unmitigated crap. All a large box office take means is there are a lot of dumb people out there. Hell, we know that already. Anyone who says money made = quality, their argument is for me instantly dismissed.

Oh me = Marcus in a fat costume.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:56:03 AM
*points and laughs at Marcus in the fat costume* Your tone gave you away anyway. ;)

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:28:42 AM
Money does not equal good......lots of things that make money suck.