PDA

View Full Version : Force Question

Kregain Richtien
Sep 15th, 2002, 10:04:52 PM
How far could one train themselves in the ways of force use?

Figrin D'an
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:42:48 PM
This is kind of a subjective topic.... you might get 5 different answers from 5 different people...

Although... I think most people would agree that there is a definite limit to the degree of skill that can be achieved through self-training.

A person might be able to teach themselves some basic Force skills (push-pull, jump, speed, etc) to a fair degree of achievement, and maybe able to learn some adequate lightsabre skills. A lightly trained Force user would certainly have a significant advantage over a non-Force user in a combat situation, or maybe in a diplomatic/negotiation situation by being able to sense emotions. I would think that against a formally trained Jedi Knight, Dark Jedi, or Sith Warrior... a self-taught Force user would be overmatched. Now, if a person had the aid of teaching holocron, that might make a difference as well, since that is a type of "formal training."

But, this is my opinion... others may have varying ideas...

Kregain Richtien
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:51:41 PM
I was thinking one might be able to match a jedi padawan given enough self training.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:59:51 AM
Yes... and No...

its like self training yourself in any style of Martial Arts, it may look awesome, but you can proberly bet that the anyone of the same age with even half a year of training will still take you down.

But then... the force is different, you have not placed limitations on yourself, and the Dark Side is easier.... so I would say yes, a self trained Dark Sider would hold his own against a Padawan of moderate skill. Note, this is just raw force power, and things that would come naturally (stronger hits, force blasting, flinging items). The ability to control fine skills like pulling objects and lifting objects carefully would be out of the question. But in force attacks, throwing your anger out, projecting hate, you will do damage.

And lightsaber duels are out of the question also. As we saw with Luke, some of the first things taught are Lightsaber abilities and force skills which go along with them.

Kregain Richtien
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:06:47 AM
wouldnt lightsaber training just be basic swordsmanship skills with an energy blade?

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:14:27 AM
Look at it this way: Luke received very little training from Obi Wan and Yoda (a couple of months, at the most), yet managed to achieve the rank of Jedi Master. It all depends on the person.
wouldnt lightsaber training just be basic swordsmanship skills with an energy blade?Not precisely. There are quite a few differences. If you look at the form list, you'll see that the use of basic swordsmanship falls under Form I fighting. There are 7.

Admiral Lebron
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:16:23 AM
You could probably teach yourself how to use the lightsaber.

Kregain Richtien
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:16:30 AM
Well, heres the thing, Ill lay it for you straight. I want to play this character as a dark jedi, but its obvious Ill never get into TBH, si imma play this loner...

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:17:24 AM
That, and its not simply a matter of hand-eye coordination and reaction. Using the Force like that, you have to anticipate before the action occurs.

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:22:21 AM
The first Dark Jedi on this board had no one to train them how to be such. They were trained in the ways of the Dark Side by Sith, and they left them because of a difference in ideals. The main difference between Dark Jedi and Sith isn't in what they use, but how they use it.

Kregain Richtien
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:09:25 AM
I know how they operate, id rather not be trained by a sith, I want my character to have his ideals from the begining, and follow the dark side via these ideals

Jehova Eaven
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:16:16 AM
I actually believe a Force Adept could be stronger than a trained individual. Think about it, as a force adept you could invent new powers and skills and not be limited to the force push/pull mentality. You wouldn't think of the force as some religion or anything, you just think that you have power so you use it to the best of your ability.

::rants on about this for an hour ::

Kregain Richtien
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:42:32 AM
lol, kinda like that Royal Guard who started teaching himself the force

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:50:36 AM
Here is the key- finding knowledge on the subject.

Although there aren't many holocrons on the subject lying around any more, there are plenty of places to find material that has the potential to provide Force instruction, from documents written by Palpatine, to local myths and legends regarding the Force, to Jedi texts that smugglers have managed to somehow get ahold of and distribute for a profit.

Self-training is seemingly fairly limiting- a person who does so will inevitably have small success in a few areas, but lack the bits and pieces that come with centuries of experience through use, bits and pieces that someone trained in the Jedi or Sith way would be able to provide and that would provide the character with a more full and well-rounded understanding of what the Force is.

But drive is also a factor in this: after all, Luke Skywalker, the son of the Chosen One of Jedi Prophecy, got the key points of Jedi instruction from what was arguably the greatest Jedi sage ever to live. He then was able to turn around and found a new Jedi Order using the information he'd gotten, becoming the first new Jedi Master. These are extreme circumstances, mind you, but they show what people can be capable of when the need or desire arises, and with the right key information your character could self-experiment and become very powerful..

Although TBH membership is closed off at current, I would be happy to discuss this with you on an Out of Character basis through PM and help you develop ideas, if you would like.

Oriadin
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:55:22 AM
I cant see why the sky cant be the limit. No doubt it would take a lot longer to teach yourself. I think its like with anything, you can teach yourself anything but it would be so much quicker and easier if you had someone to guide you and someone you could ask questions but it would be possible.

Kregain Richtien
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:00:14 AM
Id enoy that

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:09:22 PM
Going back into ancient RP history.... yes, it is possible to become a MAster with havving one yourself. I maged to do it, but RP times were different then.

Korik Bannor
Sep 17th, 2002, 06:20:53 PM
A master should apply because of the ageless wisdom, disciplines, and knowledge they can imbue and pass on to their padawans/apprentices. Something key that has survived the passing of centuries or millenias. Training one self without the benefit of a holocron puts a serious damper on a acquiring this essential knowledge, tools, and skills. Just my thoughts! :)

But this is RP so it may not matter!