PDA

View Full Version : My Little Red Button

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:00:27 PM
After winding down from yet another of my trademark rant sessions, I thought I'd take the time to explain just what exactly causes them. :)

You see, I have a little red button. Yes, it's the jolly red, candy-like button which you know you're not supposed to push, yet you can't resist doing so. A couple of you may have inadvertently pushed this button. Most of you, I'm sure, have at least seen what happens when this button gets pushed.

You see, there are certain things I hold in high esteem. I don't expect that everyone holds these things in such high regard, but I expect that they'll at least acknowledge the reasons why I do. Perhaps this is a character flaw of mine. If so, it's one that's terribly hard to reign in.

All me to offer up examples.

If you told me that you thought Hannibal was a stupid, overly-gory movie that just dragged on, this wouldn't press my red button. I rather liked Hannibal, myself. But I can certainly see the flaws in the movie and I don't expect that it's everyone's cup of tea, so to speak.

Now say, for example, that you were to bash Requiem for a Dream - what I consider one of the finest pieces of cinema ever put to film. That would be major button pushing. :) I don't expect that 100% of the people who saw the movie liked it as much as I did. But if you were to pointlessly bash it (eg, claim it was poorly directed, horribly acted, lacking in plot, etc), I'll inexorably feel the need to defend it. And I can get quite acidic when I do.

Now if you were to say, again for the sake of example, that the movie was too depressing and somber for your tastes, I can respect that. Disagreeing does not necessarily have to equate to bashing.

Now, I'm not trying to pass off the blame for my temper, or anything of the sort. I really should learn how not to get so bloody vehement about everything. But I did think it was worth explaining to everyone who cares enough to read this topic.

Also, on a related note: When I debate and/or argue about something, I rarely am actually angry (despite what the tone of my posts may be). Usually, I'm just sitting here with a cup of Iced Tea, typing out my posts while listening to music and doing other 'net related activities. It's simply the way I go about things. I'm afraid that practical usage of the Socratic method is a bit beyond me. ;) So please don't think I'm upset with you or that I dislike you - it's just how I go about things.

Anyway, I do hope this helps a bit. And I'm going to make it my early New Year's Resolution to try my best to keep these sorts of activities to a minimum on my part. Maybe I can put a big glass case around that confounded button. :)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:10:51 PM
People will just inadvertantly blunder into your glass case and smash it, not realizing there's a little red button being protected within. People are human, there is - unfortunately - no getting around it.

My early New Year's resolution is to not make any New Year's resolutions.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:28:13 PM
Requiem for a Dream sucks, because its not incidentally on the TV whenever I decide to turn the TV on.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:35:37 PM
Oh my god, RfaD seriously disturbed me for weeks after I saw it. I am just one of those people who is very empathetic and hates to see people doing self-desctuctive things... I dunno. I think the fact that it did affect me so much is testament to how well it was directed, yes, but I sure as hell wouldn't watch it again.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:30:37 PM
If you aren't affected by that movie you have no soul. It left everyone in my family depressed for like 2 days. I couldn't listen to the soundtrack for 6 months afterwords.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 15th, 2002, 01:21:52 AM
And as Tommy Lee Jones said in Men in Black 1

"'You see that little red button?'

Will: "Yeah...."

Tommy "Dont push the little red button!"

Salem Ave
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:34:53 AM
Requiem for a Dream was an amazing movie. Excellent representation of the human condition.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:30:25 AM
It pushed me to a very comfertable spot, every time I saw it in fact. I never felt so welcomed by anything in my life,I really like that writer.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:00:40 PM
I've never seen Requiem for a Dream, but I did see Swimming With Sharks, and that movie really depressed me. I got home from school after watching it, and sat on the couch for 30 minutes, just staring at nothing.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:11:44 PM
Not seen, and theres a fair list in front of it

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:52:37 PM
I haven't seen it, but sort of want to. :) I have the soundtrack though. o_O

Nupraptor
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:52:50 PM
It was just an example... sheesh! :)

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:55:38 PM
Ah yes, but an example can be a window into ones mind :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2002, 01:07:33 AM
*peeks into Nup's mind* :eek!!!!

I rented the movie, JUST so everyone knows.

it sucks!

j/k I haven't watched it yet. :mneh

Sene Unty
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:16:15 PM
I loved Requiem for a dream. The movie still resounds in my mind as a testament to what movies should aspire to. The acting was flawless and the directing: simply perfection. Its grasp of the human condition hit the bullseye.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:37:17 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Not seen, and theres a fair list in front of it

I maintain that you are screwy =p

Sene Unty
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:41:48 PM
I agree.....Reaper is indeed screwy

Leeloo Mina
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:42:20 PM
I havent seen Requiem for a Dream yet.. well, I seen like the first 10 mins and I have your book Nup.. dunno if I told you that or not.. I'll get it back to you sometime. Anyways, anytime I want to rent it all they have is the edited version.. the unedited one is always out. I'm going to rent movies tonight.. Should I go ahead and get the edited one? or just wait around?

Oh, and what about stealing of you html? does that count as pressing your button? ^_^;

I don't do anymore... I'm sorry?^_^;

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:17:17 PM
Ah ha, so you have my book! :p

And no... my little Red Button is pushed by pointless bashing.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:19:14 PM
"Oooooooo, what does this button do?"

:D

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:40:49 PM
I maintain that you are screwy =p
I'd class A Better Tommorow 2 and RUn Lola Run as higher priorities.

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:43:57 PM
Lola Rennt is verra good, but Requiem just can't be touched. When I saw it in theaters, the entire audience was enraptured with it, in a complete and utter silence. Not a single cellphone rang, not a single person talked loud enough for me to hear them. I couldn't even hear the general shuffling noise of people fidgeting or getting up to go to the bathroom. When the credits started rolling, everyone stayed in their seats for at least a full minute before getting up and silently shuffling out the door with their heads bowed.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:45:29 PM
*:headbash Nup!*

:angel

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:54:13 PM
Nup, Ive never heard a phone ring in a cinema. ANd anyway, THEM ringing doesnt mean the WATCHER is enthrawled ;)

everyone stayed in their seats for at least a full minute before getting up and silently shuffling out the door with their heads bowed.
Monestaries have cinemas these days? :)

But YOU liked it. I think I will prefer the mentioned pair.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:57:14 PM
:) Speaking of cellphones, i think the best/most funny incident I've had with one ringing during a movie was when I was watching Cast Away.

Remember when the pilot washes up on the shore, all green and icky? And Hank's character buries him? Well, when he'd just finished patting down the dirt/sand the phone in the audience rang.

I wanted to stand up and shout "He's got a phone!! DIG HIM UP!!"

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 02:59:54 PM
:lol

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:00:38 PM
Nup, Ive never heard a phone ring in a cinema. ANd anyway, THEM ringing doesnt mean the WATCHER is enthrawledI suppose things might be different over there. But down in here Miami, everytime I watch a movie - without fail - at least one cellphone goes off. Often more. By the phones not ringing, I can only assume that the owners of said phones actually cared enough to turn them off, for once.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:03:21 PM
cellphones or a beeper tend to go off at least once during any movie......

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:12:09 PM
Over here we get multiple warnings during the ads, and I could probably get someone thrown out for it :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:15:29 PM
we have the warnings too but without fail, one will go off....

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:22:42 PM
So eject them! :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:24:42 PM
dunno about you but I'm not one whose big enough to eject someone....

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:26:49 PM
You tell an Usher :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:29:26 PM
nah, more fun to yell at them or throw popcorn and such at them if they won't go somewhere else.....

Nupraptor
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:34:33 PM
I haven't actually seen an usher in a theatre in ages...

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:36:31 PM
yeah, come to think of it...they aren't around much these days...you're lucky if you see one even before the movie......

Sanis Prent
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:37:34 PM
I used to "usher" when I wanted to watch a movie on the clock ;)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:40:39 PM
:lol bad Sanis....j/k....honestly though, it's very rare to see an usher these days......

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:42:09 PM
I haven't actually seen an usher in a theatre in ages...

He was in the Faculty, boom boom :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:43:29 PM
:Poke Fett very bad, very bad....*thwacks Fett with Force Waffle Iron*

Leeloo Mina
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:51:48 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
I suppose things might be different over there. But down in here Miami, everytime I watch a movie - without fail - at least one cellphone goes off. Often more. By the phones not ringing, I can only assume that the owners of said phones actually cared enough to turn them off, for once.

Bah.. I hated that. Cellphones hardly ring here in Springfield.. but there.. GEEZ!

Originally posted by Nupraptor
Ah ha, so you have my book! :p

And no... my little Red Button is pushed by pointless bashing.

Well. glad I havent ^_^

and yeah, it's in Jes' car.. Apprently he took it with him. I'll get it back to you sometime.

No comments on rather I should rent the edited version? :(

Vinny Red
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:17:24 PM
Here's my first post in ages....To anyone who has noticed, RL things are keeping me away and they're not getting any better, but that's another story...

If you guys want to watch a good movie, I highly recommend Donnie Darko. Not a really popular movie, but one that really surprised me. Very dark, and has a very twisted story line. Extremly well made and edited if you ask me. But don't just take my word for it

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0246578

Now what are you doing still reading this? Go rent it!!:evil

Leeloo Mina
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:21:41 PM
I liked Donnie Darko..

and I watched Requiem.. Depressing, but good movie. I'm gonna watch it again right now while I fall asleep.. is that really a good idea? I have depressing dreams already.. heh.