PDA

View Full Version : Lightsabre Forms - The Full List

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 06:43:04 AM
Form I
Millennia before the Clone Wars, advanced technology replaced metal swords withg energy beam lightsabers. In this transition the first From was born. Jedi Masters created From I from ancient sword-fighting traditions, since the principles of blade combat remained much the same. The basics of attack, parry, body target zones, and teh practice drills called velocites are all here.

Note: Young Jedi still begin their training by learning Form I

Form II
The ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat became Form II, advancing the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the greatest dueling master teh galaxy has ever seen. To Form II is an archaism studied by almost no one in the Jedi Order, because it is not relevant to current tactical situations, in which Jedi enemies rarely fight with lightsabers. Even with the resurgence of the Sith, confrontation of an enemy with a lightsaber is an exceedingly rare prospect for a Jedi, so they continue to focus on more practical Forms. Sith expecting to battle lightsaber-weilding Jedi, however, find Form II a powerful technique.

Note: Form II is the chosen discipline of the machiacellioan Seperatist Count Dooku, who weilds it to decastating effect. His utterly precise moves overwhild Jedi who are not accustomed to the special requirements of lightsaber dueling with Form II. Dooku holds his own even against master Yoda.

Form III
The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these wiapons spread widely into the hands of evil-doers, the Jedi had to develop unique means of defending themselves. Form III thus arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this origin to become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Form III maximizes defensive protcection in a style characterized by tight, effecient movements that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some of the other forms.
Obi Wan Kenobi takes up a dedication to Form III after the death of Qui-Gon Jinn (who favored form IV), since it was apparent to Kenobi that Jinn's defnse was insufficient against the Sith techniques of Darth Maul. True Form III masters are cinsidered invincible. Even in his elder years, Kenobi remains a formidable From III practitioner.

Form IV
Form IV is the most acrobatic Form, heavily emphasizing Jedi abilities to run, jump, and spin in phenomenal ways by using the Force. Masters of Form IV incorperate all of the ways in which the Force helps them go beyond what is physically possible. Their lightsaber combat is astinishing to watch, filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a Jedi may be all but a blur. Yoda, with his deep emphasis on the Force in all things, is a Form IV master. Form IV was also the chosen dicsipline of Qui Gon J9nn and the early choice of his apprentice, Obi Wan Kenobi.

Note: Obi Wan Kenobi and QUi GOn Jinn employ acrobatic Form IV work during their battle against Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace

Form V
During an era when Jedi and Sith were called upon to more actively maintiain the peace in teh galaxymaintain the peace in teh galaxy, Form V arose alongside Form IV to address a need for greater power among the Jedi. Jedi Master who felt that Form III could be too passive developed Form V. A Form III master might be undefeatable, but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy. Form V focuses on stranth and lightsaber attack moves. This From exploits the ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt and turns this defensice move into an offenseve attack by deflecting the bolt deliberately towards an opponent. A dedication to the power and stranth necessary to defeat and enemy characterizes the philosophy of Form V, which some Jedi refer to by the maxim "peace through superior firepower" To some Jedi Knights, Form V represents a worthy discipline prepared for any threat; to others Form V seems to foster an inappropriate focus on dominating others.

Note: As the Clone War begins, Anakin Skywalker dedicates himslef to Form V in his increasingly blind quest for strength. As Darth Vader he will still be using Form V when he confronts Obi Wan Kenobi and later Luke Skywaler.

Form VI
In the time of Palpatine's Chancellorship, Form Vi is the current standard in JEdi lightsaber training. This Form balances the emphasis of other forms with overall moderation, in keeping with the JEdi quest to achieve true harmony and justice with out resorting to the rule of power. It is considered the "diplomat's form" because it is less intensice in tis demands than the other disciplines, allowing Jedi to spend more time developing their skills in perception, political strategy, and negotiation. IN practice, Form VI as a combination of Forms I, III, IV and V. Young Jedi spend thier first few years studying Form I, and then a year or two with each addtional Form before completing their traingin. By comparison, a Form VI master will spend lesat ten years studying only that form after comleting the basic From I training. Form Vi well suits modern Jedi's role in the galaxy, in which a Kinght overly trained in martail combat might be at a loss to resolve a complex political cinflict between star systems. However, full master of other Forms sometimes consider Form VI to be insufficiently demanding.

Note: In an increasingly dengerous galsxy, tghe "diplomat's From" might not be enough against serious combat dangers. All the Form VI jedi Knights who fight on Geonosis die in the arena battle.

Form VII
Only high level masters of multiple forms can achieve and control the ultimate discipline know as Form VII. This is most difficult and demanding of all Forms, but it can eventually lead to fantastic power and skill. Form VII employs blold, direct movements, more open kinetic than From V but not so elaborate in appearance as Form IV. In addition to very advanced Force-assisted jumps and movements, Form VII tactics whelm opponents with seemingly unconnected staccota sequences, making the Form highly unpredictable in batle. This trait makes for a much more difficult executions than the gracelful, linked move sequences of Form IV. Form VII requieres the intensity of Form V, but much greater energy since that focus is welded more broadly. Form VII draws upon a deeper well of emotion than even Form V, yet masters it more fully. The outward being of a Form VII practitioner is one of calm, but the inner pressure verges on explosion. Form VII is still under development since so few can achieve the necessary mastery to advance the art.

Note: This spiritually dangerous regimen cuts perilousledy close to the Sith intensity of focus on physical combat ability. Mace Windu is one of the only current practitioners of From VII.

I was right about from I then, the first form :)

Slayn Cloak
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:37:54 AM
I don't know about how write you were... , But I appreciate you posting this- Were did you get your info?

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:54:04 AM
Star Wars Insider

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:06:05 PM
Useful info :)

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:40:21 PM
Great stuff! :)

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 04:21:08 PM
THE MARKS OF CONTACT
All Jedi Forms involve the same "marks of contact," target objectives organized as categories of damage lightsaber-wielders can inflict upon their opponents. in the names of these marks, the language of the earlierst Jedi sages has come down unaltered to us today. The ancient traditional marks of contact help focuz a Jedi's attacks and defenses on a few clear categories rather than diffusing awareness across an infinite number of possibilities. Most of the marks of contact be seen in Attack of the Clones, and this pattern appears throughout the Star Wars saga.

Damage or destroy weapon
sun djem ["sun jem"]
Sun djem (disarming) was a goal of early Form I masters, since destroying an opponent's lightsaber could win victory without causing injury---always a Jedi aspiration. However, the advances of Form II soon made sun djem nearly impossible, since combatants trained studiously against having their weapons taken or damaged.

Wound
shiim ["she-eem"]
Any kind of wound with the edge of the lightsaber blade in shiim. An inconclusinve mark of contact, shiim is considered inferior to other marks that decisively end a battle. Its appearance thus expresses struggle with a powerful opponent.

Stab
shiak ["she-ack"]
Jedi tradition consideres shiak (stabbing) an honorable method of inflicting serious injury since it causes the least visible injury to the opponent's body. Shiak can thus express Jedi respect for an opponent and the living Force even as it delivers a fatal blow.

Cut off weapon hand
cho mai ["cho my"]
Cho mai instantly ends an oppenent's ability to use a weapion but does not kill, making cho mai a preferred Jedi move. The precision of cutting off only a hand is considered the mark of a superior lightsaber master.

Cut off weapon arm
co sun ["cho sun] [/b]
Cho sun (disembering), cutting off an oppinent's entire weapon arm, is a move lacking the precision and elegance of cho mai, but cho sun is the move most often necessary under surprise combat conditions or where no chances can be taken.

Otherwise Maim
cho mok ["cho mock"]
Cho mak (maim), describes the cutting off of an oppinent's leg or (in the case of nomhumans) other limb or appendage such as lekku (head tails)

Behead
sai cha ["sigh cha"]
Sai cha, from the ancient words for "separate" and "head", describes the chilling Jedi ability to behead an opponent in a flash of the lightsaber. Jedi commit sai c ha only when battle is at its most deadly serious and threatening, or when an opponent is considered aextremely dangerous even to a fully trained Jedi.

Cut Body in hlaf
sai tok ["sai tock"]
Jedi consider the besection of a living oppenent's body a form of butchery, a descretation to be avoided if possible. The savage extreme of sai tok is thus normally used only against battle droids. We see Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi deliver sai tok to many battle droids in episodes I and II. Sai tok represents a potentially Sith-like desire to destroy one's enemy, whereas the Jedi goal even in combat is an inner focus on defeating the danger of opponents rahter than hating them and wishing utter destruction upon them.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:52:27 PM
You rule. And spell horribly in your first post, but since you had to type it all from an article it's overlookable. ;)

Haven't seen the latest Insider yet. Dang. Thanks for the info, Fett... you da Fett!

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:56:37 PM
Not my spelling, this is from another :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:08:15 PM
awesome, but the small spelling mistakes started to kill me.
I bet it annoyed others... Write Slayn?
lol

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:42:59 PM
In that case, I'll better commence mocking the spelling errors.

Note to whoever typed that all out: Please do not try to type while juggling cats ever again.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:31:14 PM
yeah.... ha ha ha, notice i didn't say anything baout spelling?

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:01:49 AM
we's are the bestest spelling peoples in the Galaxy... Grammer on the other hands...

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:33:43 AM
Yep, Lucas rips off Kempo and other martial sword forms. Pretty obvious none of this is original in the slightest.

There's actually a lot of critical information missing in that summary for those really wanting to think how sword/sabre fighting works. Stances, balance points, centre of gravity, where on the blade to hold your hands, footwork, "chi" (or energy flows) and each form would require differences in all of the above.

I'd personally describe real sword/sabre/bo/weapons fighting as more of a dance and dancing is all about direction of momentum or energy. Very good martial artists tend to be very good dancers as the basic premise is very similar. Bruce Lee himself was a Cha-Cha champion. So while the above would be a "guide", the forms themselves lack a lot of real development. Although I can quite imagine how a few of them could be executed, for I have a RL preference to what is hinted at in Forms III and II.

The best techniques used in Star Wars are in ANH, which is how two sword master would fight - a centrelined style, conservation of movement and not that spectacular to watch but extremely effective, and AOTC, which actually shows how most fights end - fast. It's very rare a real sword fight would last beyond 30 seconds. TPM was way too flashy although Maul did the right thing with two opponents - back away and seperate the opponents, or get them into one hemisphere.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:58:22 AM
marcus you mean KENDO, KEMPO is broken down in two ways; ED Parked Kempo = american kempo brough over in the early seveties late very late sixtise. It's a well rounded form of striking, utalizing many forms favored by kick boxers. Kenpo is chin and one of the more agresive/ practicle style, also called chin boxing.

Kendo is, I belive jap and one of the only sport sword disiplens. Points are awarded in tournament for the technique used to deliver small gashes that owuld be fatal; though this is of course asumed for they use woudedn swords.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:20:50 PM
Eh, that's what I get for posting stuff at 1am :)

Jehova Eaven
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:20:48 PM
Indeed, but that list seems to be mainly useful for Jedi. Sith tend to use more aggresive stances not listed there and go for the kill while the stereotypical Jedi avoid actually killing the opponent.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:48:39 PM
Some people thank, some complain that t isnt all there. I dont know, I didnt HAVE to post this you know ;)

Jehova Eaven
Sep 15th, 2002, 07:18:09 PM
I'm not complaining, just pointing out.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2002, 07:25:17 PM
Wasnt really talking to you :)

As a note, I do think you're right. While Sith use certain forms, they would generally be uneeded

Verse Dawnstrider
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:14:25 AM
I think this info is kick-(darn filter). I will ne sure to put some of it in my RP stuff.

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:30:38 AM
:)

Figrin D'an
Sep 16th, 2002, 01:20:40 PM
Kendo might fit in between a couple of the "Forms" listed here... its involves precise movements and quick strikes while maintaining a soild defensive posture... no extraneous sword twirls, flips or spins... emphasis is place upon good blocking technique and counterattacking... it's incredible to watch two masters battle each other, everything happens so fast that it's easy to miss all of the nuiances of the employed techniques.

Nothing wrong with borrowing fighting forms... conceptually, almost everything about Star Wars is borrowed from one source or another...

Sene Unty
Sep 17th, 2002, 01:06:37 PM
I had a post where I refered to this, but I wasn't able to get a full list. Thanks Fett.

imported_Callista
Sep 18th, 2002, 12:56:00 PM
:mad

You stole my idea! As soon as I ripped open my Insider I was like "Ooo...I'm gunna post these!" but noooo....Fett beat me to the punch!

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:20:44 AM
Ya, well...Fett could probably outpost every other Mod or Admin, even if they were combined...

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:17:35 AM
Im quick on the draw I told you! :)

imported_Callista
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:48:18 PM
Lol I know! darnit... :)

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2002, 09:02:37 PM
pow pow :)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 20th, 2002, 02:05:21 AM
It seems like a lot of Reaper's threads end up with "pow pow" or "bam bam" in them...:lol

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:25:01 AM
lol :)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:57:01 AM
"Ghetto Whack!"

Ya' know, despite the fact that that phrase is completely innocent, it has gotten me weird looks every time I've said it...

Sene Unty
Sep 20th, 2002, 10:29:57 AM
Here's a good phrase:

"Krispy Kream Smash"

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 20th, 2002, 10:32:18 AM
lol, I had to think about that one...for about 10 seconds...

Sene Unty
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:04:42 PM
I thought it sounded funny

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 20th, 2002, 07:05:22 PM
I'm currently munching Krispy-Cream donuts, while I type this...:lol

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:16:33 AM
mmmmmmm. krispy kreamyness. mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Gabran Darkysa
Sep 25th, 2002, 02:26:53 AM
Excellent list Reap!

:grumble I should have consulted it before posting on my training thread. I confused form one with form four. Did not realize that the evolution of the forms were truly in a designated sequential, numerical order. Dangnabbit.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 25th, 2002, 06:55:32 AM
...Gabran, if I actually bothered to read what you just wrote...I'm sure it was useful...

...Anyways..........

Munch, munch....

Sene Unty
Sep 25th, 2002, 07:52:44 AM
*steals donut and eats it quickly*

No more donut for you!!!!!!

imported_Terran Starek
Sep 25th, 2002, 02:15:47 PM
This is great stuff--I agree. It will help me alot when I am describing combat and thinking about what is going on in my head.

Thanks! :D

Korik Bannor
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:55:47 PM
Originally posted by Lion El' Jonson
...Gabran, if I actually bothered to read what you just wrote...I'm sure it was useful...

...Anyways..........

Munch, munch....

The message was not so much directed to others. Just a personal confession of my ignorance. I goofed is all I am saying.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:58:25 AM
lol...erm, I literally DIDN'T read what you wrote...I'm stupid that way....^_^;

Sene Unty
Sep 26th, 2002, 12:09:57 PM
Yes I must concur...Lion is stupid :D

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 26th, 2002, 04:35:00 PM
Yes, I must concur...Sene is dead...

:::stabs Sene with a banana:::

Sene Unty
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:10:16 PM
*is stabbed with banana......does not die......Lion is stupid and things so......lets all feel bad for him*

:D

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 27th, 2002, 04:38:43 AM
:::Stabs Sene with a carrot:::

Will YOU DIE? I'm running out of groceries!

Leeloo Mina
Sep 27th, 2002, 07:47:39 AM
Originally posted by Lion El' Jonson
Ya, well...Fett could probably outpost every other Mod or Admin, even if they were combined...

:lol!!

I agree.. Fett's just COOL like that ^_^

:cool

Hunk
Sep 30th, 2002, 06:39:50 PM
Maybe we can muzzle him or something.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 30th, 2002, 06:48:00 PM
Muzzling doesn't do much for the fingers.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 1st, 2002, 04:41:49 PM
:lol

Moltar
Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:33:05 AM
LOL, knowing Fett he's already muzzled. The only way he can talk is by typing.

ReaperFett
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:19:19 AM
Mmmmm mm mmmm mmmm mm!

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:08:26 AM
:::credits roll:::

Kyle:...Guys, I think we forgot something...

Kenny: Woohoo!

^---Southpark, one of the damn Christmas Episodes...:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:26:38 AM

Maybe the mods or admins that would hold true, but I could think of a few regulars at GJO that could outpost him quite easily.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:59:32 PM
Depends if there's something to talk about

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 9th, 2002, 07:06:29 AM
but they don't try, lol....