PDA

View Full Version : Garou (a bit of a rant)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:26:33 AM
(Now I know some people couldn't care less about this, but bare with me. It's been irking me for a while now and I just needed to say something about it.)

I thought that it had been decided that in 'Fans, we weren't going to use any terminology taken from White-Wolf - pertaining to either Vampire or Garou - yet I still see things like:

Born of the Silver Fang Tribe

Fianna Garou Tribe Member

Wasn't it discussed that if a person was going to create a Garou character, they would do so outside of the lines drawn by White-Wolf? The whole purpose of that discussion was to make the point that this is not a W-W roleplay, it is a Star Wars one.

Now I know you will probably say "Oh but you have a Garou/Werewolf/Lupine/Etc character" but the thing is, I do not play Vega as a member of any Garou tribe, I created the Lupine and gave them their own rules and history, so it would fit into the whole idea of this 'universe'. The Vampires at the Shrine and Coven haven't gone into calling themselves Toreador or Malkavian, they came up with their own disctinctions.

A word of advice to anyone thinking of starting a Garou character - don't. Yes, I admit I am a little bitter, purely because of the fact that not so long ago it was basically Verse and I who had lyncanthrope characters and we had a fairly good thing going on there then. The sense of originality and unique element it once had has been completely lost by the overflow of Garou characters, and I for one am completely sick of seeing more and more Garou being created.

Be original. Don't just start one because it seems like an interesting think to do, because frankly it has become rather uninteresting. There are hundreds and hundreds of Star Wars races that I doubt have been ever played here, so try and bring something fresh into the RP world instead of slowly morphing it into literal Garou reserve.

Gabran Darkysa
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:54:24 AM
Hey! B-b-b-but... I am a halfling garou brindled ewok.

lol j/j Jenny

Weird mood and all. A full moon perhaps?! ;)

Aaron Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 05:08:35 AM
Agreed, i find it a little predictable lately that a Garou will appear any moment...

Dae Jinn
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:46:49 AM
I had already done said what tribe my garou was from BEFORE any of that was decided, and i haven't said anything about since :p:lol

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:56:42 AM
(whine whine) :(

Shreeftut
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:54:18 AM
ummm, so if werewolves are cool now the vampies can come back right?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:57:25 AM
I don't think the vampires ever left. Members from the Coven and Shrine have been active here for some time..

I had already done said what tribe my garou was from BEFORE any of that was decided, and i haven't said anything about since

And that's beside the point, unless by that you mean you no longer have the character as being considered part of a W-W tribe.

Xazor Elessar
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:44:29 AM
I did mine that way for a reason...it's not a part of this present...so it's going to stay that way. Just a part of someone's history, hence I created Zandaria. She is Xazor's mother and it has to be played out this way. :\

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:51:01 AM
It shouldn't matter whether it is past or present. Technically, Fianna, Children of Gaia, Shadow Lords, Silverfangs, etc never have exsisted here, ever.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:53:06 AM
Not to mention, its FREAKING CONFUSING to those of us who aren't into this mess! :verymad

Xazor Elessar
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:53:37 AM
That's fine..you don't recognize those...just as I do not necessarily accept the whole Vamp thing. It's personal preference....and she isn't going to be around for a long time. You don't have to read any of it or anything if you don't want to! No one is asking you or making you!

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:55:05 AM
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her being around, and I can't stop you from doing whatever you want with the character. I'm just explaining how I'm seeing things from my point of view.

Also you have to understand I'm not just focusing this point on you, it's aimed at the 'Garou population' as a whole, as well as those who might considering making Garou in the future.

imported_Taja Loraan
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:03:41 PM
Eh .. Knyte was a werewolf, and I'm pretty sure she was around before Verse or Vega or any of those characters. Except, she wasn't Garou or Lupine or anything, she just ... was. It didn't go down too well tho cuz the chara was very sketchy and blahblah.

But yeah, I agree with you. Back then there was a huge surge of Saiyan characters, all stemming from LL I think. Then that fad died down, until only Anbira remained. Guess it's the same thing with this ...

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:07:50 PM
Yes, I do think that Knyte was probably around before both I and Verse were. Apologies for not including that :)

And yes, it does seem similar to the DBZ infestation, from what I've heard.

Faeryl Hune
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:09:52 PM
Garou, fridj xa'huuli rrorrokmzil.

*grins, and then hides in a dark hole somewere*

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:10:07 PM
:cry...

imported_Taja Loraan
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:14:45 PM
Aww .. what's wrong, Charley?? :(

Jenny, I think you might've upset poor Diego by not including him in your list. ^_^; Apologize! :p

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:16:00 PM
What list ? o_O

And I think Charley is :( cos he lost out on being able to be a SSJ because of the huge amount that became active in Fans, which - I think - lead to the 'outlaw' of SSJ's.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:18:38 PM
well they were never outlawed, but I got tired of the cliche' that I'd kinda started :(

And I tried to play it within reason, but alas, not meant to be.

imported_Taja Loraan
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:30:57 PM
.. okay, no list. ^_^;

Yeah, I remember there was a debate of sorts about that, but the way you played Anbira made perfect sense for a chara within this universe, IMO.

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:10:22 PM
Here's a thought, if you guys want to make the whole Garou scene a more realistic part of the Star Wars Universe, how bout you have them morph into an animal that is recognized in the Star Wars universe. So that you don't merely turn into a wolf, you turn into a Krak'ja. They are an official species originating on Bothawui and are essentially the Star Wars equivalent of wolves.

That would make things a little more digestable.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:36:37 PM
Nexu would be cooler :D

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:38:54 PM
I agree. Being the SW purist that I am, I think there are way too many things on these boards that are technically possible but obviously rip-offs. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should, and plus, it gets old really fast.

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:42:12 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Nexu would be cooler :D

No! Bad wolfie!! :mad

DarthHERA
Sep 14th, 2002, 06:46:01 PM
ahhh..DBZ dayz :lol

*pokes Sanis wid a stick*

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:19:34 PM
:(

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:39:56 PM
*wonders if she did anything to cause this* :\ honestly the Saiya were fine when we were a few, we knew that we had to limit and we did...it was the idiots such as Talas and Stone that messed it all up by not controling themselves.......

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:49:44 PM
wonders if her avalon thread that discussed this could be brought out into the open :\

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:45:23 AM
wonders if her avalon thread that discussed this could be brought out into the open

Yes please.