PDA

View Full Version : I have just had sweet love made to my optic nerves.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:21:26 PM
http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/

Ohhhh yess.

Requirements- 256 MB RAM, GeForce 2, 1ghz or faster. People with POS PCs need not apply.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:28:21 AM
wooooooooooooooooooopretty :D

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 14th, 2002, 05:26:53 AM
Urgh. Unreal Tornament. I can't abide that game. :\

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 05:56:53 AM
Good for MPing. Not quite as good as Q3 though, IMO.

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 06:26:14 AM
Q3 was better. Or HL, CS et al. Or JO. Or....

:)

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:18:36 AM
IMO, Q3 was bottom of the barrel. And given the overwhelming lack of servers, I'd say I'm not alone there. It had the eyecandy advantage, but that was pretty much it.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:58:12 AM
I loved the original UT :)

All I need now are a bazillion upgrades to run this :)

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:16:23 AM
Not really. It's surprisingly not system intensive. I basically have the reccomended (not minimum) system requirements, and it runs like a champ @ 1024x768 with max details.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:17:22 AM
well...Morg said a minimum of a gig on the processing speed O_o...

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:29:39 AM
I prefer gameplay over looks :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:30:16 AM
Unreal? Wasnt there a new one on X-Box oh..ya...-checks his EGM-

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:34:44 AM
blarg on consoles!

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 12:07:19 PM
I prefer gameplay over looksPrecisely why I played UT and not Q3. :p But, seeing as how this is a next-gen game, it obviously has the eyecandy in spades.

Yes, they're making an Unreal game for the X-Box. It's called Unreal Championship. Why they're doing it is beyond me. It's using the same engine and even the same models as UT2K3. To be honest, I'm quite baffled at what the differences are, aside from the fact that UC is only on the X-Box. Guess they decided that they wanted an exclusive title for Microsoft's gaming console.

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:17:08 PM
Side note, couldn't they find a better name than Unreal Tournament 2003? :)

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:23:51 PM
Well, it was originally just going to be called UT2, but they wanted to avoid people getting Unreal 2 and UT2 confused.

Eyecandy ahoy:

http://nupraptor.clanhappy.com/temp/ut2003.jpg

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:28:01 PM
Daft looking gun. That's the main reason why I disliked UT. The weapons.

Some of the Mods were pretty decent though.

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:36:01 PM
the weapons rocked...what the hell are you talking about :eek

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:43:49 PM
Fneh, you're all wrong. Q1 was the best. Well, next to Spear of Destiny, that is.

(not)

Aaron Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:46:38 PM
Q1-3 and Unreal torneyalong with Doom and other games in that sort of futuristic big guns genre in myopinions are totalyrubbish...your gonna play first person shoop'em ups i surggest you buy MOH, Battlefeald 1942 and americas army....there the recent ones out...

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 01:59:02 PM
Unreal Tornament lacks any need for intellect, strategy or skill as far as I am concerned. It's nothing more than a glorified multiplayer game. I really can't see how anyone can enjoy it for extended periods of time, it's mind-numbingly straight forward.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:07:37 PM
JK2 is still my favourite MP :D

Jehova Eaven
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:09:35 PM
screw that, bring back jk1 and the cogs.

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:09:48 PM
Daft looking gun. That's the main reason why I disliked UT. The weaponsOh yes... because the weapons in Q3 were so much more sensible. http://www.planetquake.com/quake3/q3aguide/images/bfg.jpg :rolleyes The gun in the picture is the new rocketlauncher. The barrels rotate, loading one rocket into each barrel and then firing them all at once, for up to 3 simultaneous rockets. It's quite impressive. And, as far as rocketlaunchers go, it's second only to the one in the original UT.
It's nothing more than a glorified multiplayer gameGlorified? Now you've got me confused... it IS a multiplayer game... never claimed to be anything else, last I checked.

As for the lack of strategy... you do realize that there are other game modes aside from deathmatch, correct?

Aaron Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:13:56 PM
what like, capure the flag and small mission based matches?...its basicly the same as any other game Nup only there have bigger guns and bigger heads on the shortrun. That type of buffed up hyper game just dont cut it for me...

edit: on top of that, i like to play games where you need to use surroundings to hide yourself, and shoot over.....walls, stairs, trees you know?..with UT its just run and fire, run and fire like ou play some dafy phyco guy in big armor that likes to be suisidal

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:21:02 PM
JK2 MP is indeed fun, but it wears thing after a while from the lack of variety. Most games that focus on Single Player campaigns have MP as an added bonus. Generally, people only play it for the first month or two after they finish the SP game and then forget about it.

The entire goal of games like UT and Q3A is to have a multiplay which is entertaining for a much longer period of time. So if you feel that it's mind numbingly straight forward, well, you're entitled to your opinion. But you're missing out.

And yes - there are other game modes. CTF is one, and has always been a fan-favorite (hence the success of mods like Team Fortress Classic). Plus, the game has many of it's own, original game modes, like Domination and Bomb Runner (think Football with heavy artillery). Then, let's not forget about the Mutators, which fundamentally change the way the game is played.

However, it's quite obvious that my praise is falling on deaf ears, so it doesn't really matter, does it?

Edit to reply to the edit:
on top of that, i like to play games where you need to use surroundings to hide yourself, and shoot over.....walls, stairs, trees you know?It's simply a different kind of game. Yes, it's still possible to do those kinds of things. But the game does focus on a more adrenaline-packed kind of action. Personally, my favorite kind of FPS are the ones that involve sneaking, like Thief, System Shock and NOLF. But I'm perfectly capable of enjoying a good adrenaline rush. If you don't like the genre at all then why even bother with the topic?

Aaron Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:23:23 PM
Everyones opinions to anything matters Nup:)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:25:29 PM
I couldn't be bothered with JK2 singleplayer. I just like point and click type stuff really.. so I could get the novelty of the saber in MP without the hassle :D

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:28:07 PM
As for the lack of strategy... you do realize that there are other game modes aside from deathmatch, correct?

No, of course I thought I'd just make idle commentary after just playing the one game mode. It was an opinion, no need to be bitchy.

At the end of the day, I think all the "Assault", "Capture the flag" and "Domination" modes do anything but scream strategy and skill to me. It's as Aaron said:

With UT its just run and fire, run and fire like ou play some dafy phyco guy in big armor that likes to be suisidal.

Nupraptor
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:30:25 PM
Well... I'm pretty much done. I was just trying to vouch for the fun factor of the demo (which I do believe is quite high), and I've done that adequately enough. :) Still, if you're into these kinds of games, I'd give UT2K3 a shot... it's a heckuva lot of fun.
It was an opinion, no need to be bitchy. Quite the contrary, I don't think I was. However, I was responding to your comment. No, this is not Rainbox Six... nor did it ever set out to be. Again, your qualms seem to be with the genre, not this particular game.

Aaron Belargic
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:34:09 PM
I didnt say it was not fun, i just said i couldent enjoy it as much as i wantedto...

Jag Demarr
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:45:48 PM
You certainly came across as bitchy. I'm actually not a big fan of the genre but after all the hype I thought UT would inject something more interesting into it but instead it just beefed up all the things I disliked about the genre to ludicrous levels.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:01:30 PM
I dunno, it added bombing run, which is very, very cool. It stays true to the predecessor, while improving on it. One of the things I'm looking forward to is mods, which UT had a lot of very good ones.

I'm so sorry the genre doesn't make you happy, but I really don't care.

Unreal Tornament lacks any need for intellect, strategy or skill as far as I am concerned

I'm sorry you lack the relfexes for this game, because its fun.

You've never played this kind of thing competeively have you? You need to learn map flow, weapon locations, sound cues in regards to map flow and locations, oppent habits... and if its team DM, you pretty much have to know what you team is doing at all times.

Thats just team DM. Not even CTF or Domination.

You come across as a whiny kid who can't compete.

Val Torre
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:05:41 PM
Oh save me the bulls**t.

I don't like the game, live with it.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:06:49 PM
FYAD. There is no bull-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- in the post. I've played Counter-Strike with you. You have no reflexes.

Val Torre
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:11:18 PM
I'm not talking about the reflexes. I don't deny it. It's you calling me a whiney kid that pisses me off. Others might tremble under your bluntness but it wont sit with me. I'm not having you calling me a whiney kid, I don't care who you think you are.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:15:40 PM
You obviously loathe the genre so much that you can't think straight about it, because, allow me to demostrate why I think you're being whiny.

...beefed up all the things I disliked about the genre to ludicrous levels.

I really can't see how anyone can enjoy it for extended periods of time, it's mind-numbingly straight forward.

Urgh. Unreal Tornament. I can't abide that game.

So you said the same thing three times over and insulted it without really playing through. Bravo. Threadcrap elsewhere.