PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars RPG Review (plus!)

Pierce Tondry
Sep 13th, 2002, 09:16:17 AM
Hello again!

You may be asking yourselves "What has caused Brian to post another article so soon after his last one? Isn't he slow at that sort of thing?"

The answer is: YES, I usually am. But most of the time, it is for lack of something Star Wars to speak of. My September 11 post (over which I feel a tad embarassed because of its' sheer length) wasn't really a "Star Wars News" post, it was more along the lines of a philosophical discussion. But, seeing that huge post still sitting there taking up space has motivated me to replace it with something else at the head of the page.

I mean, man, that thing was big! Really, really big!

Anyway. I've recently purchased the new Core Rulebook and Dark Side Sourcebook for the Star Wars tabletop RPG, published by Wizards of the Coast. The Core Rulebook was re-released earlier this year, so that it coincided with the interest generated by Episode II, and it contained a number of revisions over the older book, which I haven't purchased. After having read through the book several times and mastered the process of character creation, I've decided to write up a review on it for those people who are unaware that it exists. So without further ado... the review.

The book: Star Wars RolePlaying Game Core Rulebook (Wizards of the Coast 2nd Edition)

The summary: This book is a set of rules regarding character creation, advancement, and play, plus a list of common equipment and ships as well as some Game Master information and tips.

The rating: 8 / 10

The reason: I have to say, at a glance, the game looks great. There are blank character sheet pages to photocopy, character templates galore, ship information, species information, main and supporting character statistics. It is a lot to digest, but digesting it is fairly easy if you take it in parts. The game loses one rating point for not providing a sample campaign anywhere I could find and another rating point for the unclear character creation process. Other than those two things, I find the game to be well drawn-up and easily revised to accomodate additions to play. The book itself is organized and easy to flip through. I am very pleased with my two purchases, and should be able to translate anything the older Dark Side Sourcebook has into the revised rules.

The final analysis: This is a great buy for tabletop RPers and Star Wars fans seeking a good source of general information. Just find someone who can decode the first three chapters before you start to sit down and play.

On a side note: I've recently purchased Douglas Adams' new book, entitled "The Salmon of Doubt" (and yes, he IS dead). From what I've read so far, the book appears to be a collection of biographical information welded to the front of several things Adams has written, from already printed newspaper and journal articles to things found in the nested subfolders of his computer after his death. It is, in short, the last book Douglas Adams will ever have written, and it has the added benefit of having been written with other people who knew him well. What I have read of it, I have enjoyed immensely and do suggest that you make the quickest possible trip to the major publishing house over on Alpha Centauri, or failing that wherever you happen to buy printed products, and buy the hardcover version now out.

And if, while on Alpha Centauri, you happen to be accosted by a rather depressed-looking android, do be good enough to try and fix the diodes on his left side, won't you?

Bette Davis
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:52:00 PM
*fiddles with diodes* Just so you know someone read this. ;)

Estelle Russard
Sep 25th, 2002, 07:41:12 PM
I read this too. I havent stopped by the portal in a good while. I really should do this more often.

btw, nice review P.T.