PDA

View Full Version : Question for athletic peoples

Admiral Lebron
Sep 12th, 2002, 03:44:27 PM
Do you know any information about those "protein pills" out there? I have a friend who's a vegatarian and she says thats what she takes. Although she's always sick and doesn't each much of anything but claims they work. I always thought protein came in mass. Like drink the shake get the mass onto your body in protein form. So a pill would be ineffective. So do the pills work or are they a sham?

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 12th, 2002, 04:11:13 PM
Never heard of any pill that works

JMK
Sep 12th, 2002, 10:29:48 PM
The best way to be healthy is to eat properly. Relying on pills as replacements instead of supplements is like trying to get across America on a car with 2 wheels. You might get there, but the car will be destroyed.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Sep 13th, 2002, 12:30:27 AM
You may be referring to creatine supplements. Its a protein derivative, which basically allows you to work longer without a buildup of lactic acid in your system, which causes soreness.

And yes, they do work...from a first-hand basis.

Daanarri Raurrssaatta
Sep 13th, 2002, 12:39:39 AM
They work for what? Being an athelete, and giving you a boost, or for a vegetarian who is using them as the sole protein in their diet?

If its the latter, I suggest she sees a nutritionist and gets her diet straightened out before she does herself some serious damage.

Admiral Lebron
Sep 13th, 2002, 04:45:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll relay it to her.

BUFFJEDI
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:43:42 AM
Oh where to start on this one :huh

lets just say being a vegatarin is not all that healthy, No matter what anyone tells you.
protein pills, health pills ETC ETC ETC are on the average a crock of crap, you would get more out of eating crap.

the best way to get what you need is to eat the foods that contain the nutrition you are looking for.there are SOME supplements that Help you BUT never forsake FOOD.

creatine supplements have been known to work BUT it is not forevryone. It's like this ,Just and example how things affect people in different way's.

mary down the road goes on a apple diet. two weeks later she loses 20 puonds.

jane does the EXACT same thing to a tee , and loses Nothing.

Why , everyone's system is not the same.

Admiral, the absolute best thing to tell her is ....................FORGET the vegatarian crap and eat some meat, some good ole fish, some good ole prime rib .But don't go over board. Moderation.

but keep in mind that's MY opinion, Not that I know anything about being an Athlete ;)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:37:21 AM
Yes, yes! To Daani and BUFF you listen!

Its just common sense, Leb :) Tell her to cut her portions or servings down but noone will stay healthy unless they eat a balanced diet and get some exercise!

Sanis Prent
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:47:09 AM
If you're going for weight loss, what works for me is counting fat grams. I've never bought the whole carb diet, or whatever else is out there. Truth is, that the last thing that your body burns is fat. It will burn carbs and calories before it burns fat. That means, that if you stay reasonably active, that you can pretty much negate the carbs and calories in your system, and burn fat grams like theres no tomorrow. But you have to stay active to truly lose a lot of weight. I lost 60 pounds in 2 months doing this, but I was in preseason workouts for football, so that kind of weight loss was easy for me. Also its important that you don't skimp on protein if you do this, since you'll really need that for any toning development. I suggest meals involving nothing fried, no butter, but a good helping of fruits and veggies, some whole grain foods, and cold cuts...cause thats where you can get more bang for your buck. I practically live off roast beef and turkey, cause those are very lean. Grilling is also very healthy...and you don't sacrifice taste for healthy food :) Indulge yourself every week with a good, home-grilled meal.