PDA

View Full Version : Ooc - Closed Membership

Sorsha Kasajian
Sep 10th, 2002, 09:02:10 AM
This is my petition for closing membership of the Black Hand. The last time I was here, I suggested memebership should be closed. I didn't get much in the way of support then, but I'm hoping people decide to listen this time. I want this group to work, and I felt it was worth coming back to to try again.

I still cringe when I think about the Rogue Sith Order (RSO) and Royal Order of Sith (ROS). I was there for the idea stages of ROS, and one of the things I strongly recommended was a closed membership. Any additions to be made were by personal invitation only via e-mail or private messaging, and any canditate would have a representive from inside the group to vouch for him her, and then the usual voting process blah blah blah. No open membership, no advertising, and no hopefuls at the gates screaming elitist if they didn't get in.

So the basic idea is having a fixed number of members to keep focused. That summer, TSE was simply overun by new members, and in some cases, peeps with new characters every week. It became impossible for me to keep track of everyone, cause at the time I was working on a genalogy of Masters and disciples, tracing everyone back to the founding members.

New disciples meant more time for training them and less time out on doing things. So needless to say the open door policy became a pain in the ass.

I know things are done differently here, but we still have hopefuls at the gate and that in itself has always been very troubling to me. I think the gates should be should shut tight against any more additions save Trace Sha, who was supposed to be here at least a summer ago if I'm not mistaken.

A closed membership will help us focus on our identity as a group and we can finally start working towards what our goals should be.

Because what I'm seeing right now (and I'm not talking about abscences due to real life responsibilities, so please don't get offended) is a whole lot of nothing. And that shouldn't be. We need to be out there as a group presence and I've tried (with little success) to get that ball rolling. Not blaming anyone or pointing fingers or trying to sound arrogant. I'm very sincere in trying to make this group become a prominent (and feared) presence at SWFans, something TSE seemed to be violently opposed to. All I want is the best for us, and I don't want TBH to make the same errors that I've seen the others make.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 10th, 2002, 02:00:28 PM
I agree. We're full, as of now. We have plenty of people. More than enough, acually.

Unless we find an exceptional reason, we shouldn't accept any more people, and it should be purely by invite only. You don't come to us. We come to you.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Sep 10th, 2002, 04:27:25 PM
:: will wait to hear what others think first ::

:)

besides morg of course.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 10th, 2002, 04:54:56 PM
I compleatly agree, in fact, I brought this point up last night, btu don't think anyone saw it...

Zasz Grimm
Sep 11th, 2002, 06:46:19 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I agree. We're full, as of now. We have plenty of people. More than enough, acually.

Unless we find an exceptional reason, we shouldn't accept any more people, and it should be purely by invite only. You don't come to us. We come to you.

:)

My thoughts are reflected by Morg.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 11th, 2002, 08:48:25 AM
I would consider the type of joining process you described to have been the goal all along. Yes, we've let in a lot of new members recently, and in my opinion, the departure en masse of TSE warranted cracking the door a little so that some people could participate in TBH who would not otherwise have had a place to roleplay. The influx seems to have been dealt with, however, and I am of a mind that we should avoid more acceptances for the time being.

There are two things currently running that I know of, and I believe they should find resolution before the start of this lockdown on membership.

1.) Sieken Kasstra's case: Have we come to a decision on that, or have I missed something? Either way, I would say we need to give a firm yes or no within the next week.

2.) T'air'un Bled's case: The fellow behind this character just happens to be my little brother Jeff. He was looking for a place to RP after his last board bottomed out and asked me about SWFans. He made up a character, posted, and when no one else responded, he badgered me into giving him a test. It's been a bit difficult dealing with an absolute newbie to everything about SWFans, but when the thread finishes it will probably be as good of a test of his mettle as any I could think of and will be up to you guys to decide.

When these two cases have been dealt with, we will have a clean slate as far as I'm aware. Then we can take down Taylor's message to potential applicants and store it somewhere while replacing it with a sign saying "TBH Club- Members Only!"

Slayn Cloak
Sep 11th, 2002, 09:26:25 AM
LMAO... Hmmm :: points to siken K subject :: Screams NO!

LMAO

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 11th, 2002, 10:12:21 AM
Just say no to Sieken. It would be pointless to have him here when it is obvious some members have a problem with him.

As for closing membership, go for it.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 11th, 2002, 11:21:54 AM
I don't have a problem with him. He's just not what we want.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2002, 11:41:45 AM
aw little brothers! They're cute, aren't they. *ruffles Kar'h'tzen's hair* :p

I'm going to read Bled's thread and then let you know my opinion. And yes to closing membership. Now we know of Sieken's interest, so if he becomes eliegable for membership in the future, we can keep him in mind for an invitation.

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 11th, 2002, 11:53:25 AM
Heh. He hates it when I ruffle his hair.

The thread in question is a bit disjointed, I'm afraid. Hob sort of wheels from dark and vicious to open and rational. I tried to think of something to test him in that wasn't combat, because the difference in levels between our characters would have me turning him into a smudge of goo without much effort. In the end, I figured the best thing I could do was test his patience and determination to be a member.

Sorsha Kasajian
Sep 11th, 2002, 02:44:42 PM
Originally posted by Vega Van Derveld
Just say no to Sieken. It would be pointless to have him here when it is obvious some members have a problem with him.

This thread isn't about Sieken. It's about TBH as a group.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 12th, 2002, 01:22:44 AM
"You don't come to us. We come to you" sums up my feelings nicely. But I don't like the thought of NO ONE getting a shot at joining without being "noticed" first. Guess I'd have to see how it went. And what do we do if we invite someone only to have them prove that we don't REALLY want them in their first threads with us? Awkward.

And I've been liking Bled's thread more and more as it's progressed.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:32:34 AM
This thread isn't about Sieken. It's about TBH as a group

Yes, but a comment was made on Sieken and Bled, as to their futures here. Sorry if my response seemed out of place

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 12th, 2002, 02:19:03 PM
I for one am all right with a closed group but we should also remember, that we might forget that potential people are out there to join :p

Sometimes when the walls are made, you forget about others :)

Sorsha Kasajian
Sep 12th, 2002, 02:34:24 PM
Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin
I for one am all right with a closed group but we should also remember, that we might forget that potential people are out there to join :p

Sometimes when the walls are made, you forget about others :)

"Bite your tongue, Navaria."

:: boots her out the window into the rain :: =^;^=

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 12th, 2002, 02:48:47 PM
sighs :rolleyes

Slayn Cloak
Sep 12th, 2002, 04:08:34 PM
:: Is confused... :: Anyway you got my vote, oh yeah and Jes is at best buy right now to get a new pc.... How many of you can guess what that means???

Nupraptor
Sep 12th, 2002, 07:40:05 PM
That he's going to say "fuhgedabudit" and spend his money on something else? :)

Milivikal k'Vik
Sep 12th, 2002, 07:47:29 PM
Carlos is such an asshat sometimes.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 12th, 2002, 08:13:36 PM
Where did you hear that expression, Mr. Asshat, sir?

Slayn Cloak
Sep 12th, 2002, 08:14:08 PM
sometimes... You mean he isn't like this always? And anyway we no him in rl, so that doesn't count...

Jeseth Cloak
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:25:31 PM
I agree with the closed membership thing - and no, I didn't spend my money on anythign else! This PC only cost me a measly 200 dollars... It's no good for anything other than surfing the net and doing homework, but that's really the only reason I got it. As a result though I can be around more often, but due to how much of my time is taken up by school, what I do participate in is going to be really limited...

Slayn Cloak
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:44:25 PM
:: raises fist :: yes, and compleatly gorvened by me ooc... buahahaha

Morgan Evanar
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:23:02 AM
TTLG

Nupraptor
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:29:19 AM
* http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rough/twak.gif Hob*

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:33:53 AM
*Gets bonked.*

*Pokes Nup in the nose.* What?

Ebon Dir
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:57:30 AM
I'm for the closed membership idea.

Though I have to say, more than half the little jokes and jabs I see in this forum go sailing right over my head.

Jeseth Cloak
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:13:38 PM
;; Kills Slayn. ;;

Hahahaha.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:41:28 PM
That one was pretty straight forward. o_O

I petition furthermore that all OOC threads are marked OOC and that we attempt to do some of our discussions in here IC. I think that our "vote" threads could be IC...would make it the character's choice who gets in, not ours. (well you know what I mean.)

Jeseth Cloak
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:56:07 PM
I suggested that once before... but no one seemed to think that it was a good idea then except you and Taylor. I'm in favor of it though... Maybe you should start a seperate discussion thread and see about a vote on that?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2002, 01:39:13 AM
I might, if no one sees it in here. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 18th, 2002, 09:33:07 AM
*Sees it.*

I'd start a separate thread, if I were you. People tend to gloss over topics they think are finished or irrelevant, myselfies included.

In some ways, working on a completely IC basis for judgements would be limiting for me because Hob's beliefs are rather open-minded, for a Dark Sider. Shall try to work around those, though.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:03:58 PM
is dead....