PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Actors/Actresses?

ReaperFett
Sep 9th, 2002, 06:38:57 PM
Nice general one :)

Who are your favourite ten actors and/or actresses?

Mine, in no order:

Steve Buscemi
Bruce Campbell
Chow Yun Fat
Samuel L Jackson
Matt Damon
Willem Dafoe
George Clooney
Nic Cage
Ed Norton
Kiether Sutherland

Tianje Xhu
Sep 9th, 2002, 06:53:27 PM
Mel Gibson *swoon, swoon*

Harrison Ford

Sean Connery *swoon*

Sigourney Weaver

Arnold "I'll be back" Schwar...? Eh, you know who I mean :)

Michael Bhein

Gene Wilder

Darth Vader Gotta keep the big guy happy :D

Thats it off the top of my head and its in no particular order. :p

Admiral Lebron
Sep 9th, 2002, 06:57:34 PM
<h3> ANGELINA JOLIE!</h3>

Umm... I always like a good woody allen film.

Rick Moranis.
Bill Murry.
Eddie Murphey.
Mike Myers.
Denise Richards. :rolleyes
Some others.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 9th, 2002, 09:21:11 PM
In no order:

Jack Nicholson
Sigourney Weaver
Robin Williams
Helen Hunt
Ian McKellen
Nicole Kidman
Anthony Hopkins
Michelle Yeoh
Ewan McGregor
Jodie Foster
Chow Yun Fat

Quadinaros
Sep 10th, 2002, 01:48:02 AM
In no particular order

Harrison Ford
Robert DeNiro
Clint Eastwood
Jodie Foster
Ben Stiller
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Bruce Willis
Jude Law
Jim Carrey
Michael Keaton

Oriadin
Sep 10th, 2002, 04:27:30 AM
In no real order...

Mel Gibson
Bill Murray
Jim Carrey
Tom Hanks
Ewan McGregor
Robin Williams
John Travolta
Kevin Spacey
Kate Winslet
Morgan Freeman

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 10th, 2002, 06:43:07 AM
(Wants to add Kevin Spacey, Kate Winslet and Morgan Freeman to his list but has eleven actors in his top ten!)

Good choices, Oriadin. :)

Oriadin
Sep 10th, 2002, 06:46:47 AM
Its a tough choice to get it down to 10 I can tell you.

JMK
Sep 10th, 2002, 08:05:03 AM
In no order:
Sam Jackson
Ed Norton
Harrison Ford
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Kevin Spacey
Mel Gibson
Tom Hanks
Ben Stiller
George Clooney

Jinn Fizz
Sep 10th, 2002, 09:49:38 PM
Harrison Ford
Mel Gibson
George Clooney
Brendan Fraser
Samuel L. Jackson
Liam Neeson
Patrick Stewart
Sean Connery
Cary Grant
Clark Gable

Dutchy
Sep 12th, 2002, 03:22:13 AM
The title says 'Actresses', but I don't see that many of them?

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2002, 04:31:44 AM
Problem is, actresses have a shorter career. Most male actors are at their peak for films from about 30-45. Not many females stay in the public eye that long. Like the woman in MIB2 (Lara Flynn Boyle?) said, at 30 their roles begin drying up.

Oriadin
Sep 12th, 2002, 04:46:15 AM
I always find that actresses dont have great leading roles. If you think about it, most films that have a female as the lead have a man along side them. Men dont nessesaraly. There arent many films where a woman stands out as the star. Julia Roberts is about the only I can think of that can do it time after time. Kate winslet does too I guess.

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2002, 04:56:50 AM
I think one problem that comes up a lot is the teen actor problem. Basically, ALL teen actors seem stuck in teen comedies until they're mid twenty. Similarly, many female actresses end up heading into films directed at women. Hence, they don't do anything I like :)

Salma Hayek I like, Famke Jannson I like, Liv Tyler is alright, ANgelina Jolie I like, Jennifer Connelly I like what I saw. That's the main few I can think of.

And on another note, I want the person who played Mandy in 24 in more things :)

JonathanLB
Sep 12th, 2002, 05:19:28 AM
I must agree. I don't have hardly any female actresses I really respect for their acting ability. I mean, of course I could sit here and name like 50 of them who are extremely hot, but that doesn't make 'em good actresses. I think the reasons given here are really good. My dad and I had this discussion with my mom too, it was like a family dinner conversation, hehe, "Why are there so few recognizable actresses?"

I mean, obviously I like looking at hot girls a heck of a lot more than I like looking at De Niro's ugly keister, hehe, but I watch movies that De Niro is in because the guy is a great actor! I can't think of any girls who I'd say, "Gee she is in it, I better go see it!"

Although, I really like Eliza Dushku, but to be honest I can't tell if that's because I think she's amazingly hot or if she's really a good actress. So far she's not done anything that is that great as far as films, so I can't say she's a great actress. Sorry, Dushku :)

I would say that Nicole Kidman is probably one of my favorite actresses. She's sexy (still), she's talented, and she's very convincing to me. I liked her a lot in The Others, especially. I just think she's a quality actress.

I also like Sarah Michelle Gellar a lot. In addition to being, IMO, the hottest girl on Earth, she is also really a good actress. She's great in all of the episodes of Buffy I have seen and she's not done much film yet, but oh well. I mean, hasn't done much that caught my eye really. THOUGH she is really good in Cruel Intentions, I think, which is kind of a sick movie for the most part, I mean, lol, there are many gross scenes, but it's actually a really intelligent film. The critics liked it, and I have to say, I like it too (I own it). The music is fantastic, the plot is just devious, and it has a realistic ending, not some Hollywood-like ending where everyone is happy. Bad people have a very unfortunate ending and that's the way it goes. Good film.

My favorite actors, then (because no actress would come close to making my top ten "performers" list):

-Samuel L. Jackson
-Denzel Washington (how could you not include this guy? Hehe)
-Cuba Gooding Jr.
-Eddie Murphy
-Vin Diesel (I've seen every film he has ever been in, which doesn't include voice work, i.e. Iron Giant)
-Wesley Snipes (seen almost all of his films, own more than I've seen even, and I've never given a film of his short of 3 stars)
-Jackie Chan (no he's not "Oscar" good, but darnit he's such a fun guy and I just can't help but include him)
-Arnold Schwarzeneger (same goes here; anyone who has been in so many four star films is going to make my list: Terminator, Terminator 2, True Lies, Total Recall, The Sixth Day, and plenty of other "good" movies).
-Seann William Scott (I wouldn't leave him off; the guy is just too damn funny)
-Harrison Ford (Indy, Star Wars, The Fugitive, Clear and Present Danger, etc...)
-Jim Carrey (I had to put in #11, and he is not #11 either, he is actually what I consider to be one of the greatest actors ever; nobody else has the versatility to be Truman in The Truman Show, Andy in Man on the Moon, and then talk out of his BUTT as Ace Ventura).

Now there are so many others I wanted to include, especially De Niro, and also Russell Crowe, though I do not like Crowe as a person. I think the guy is a total prick, actually, but he's a great actor...

Also, I have a different way of measuring actors. I don't consider a great actor just someone who can win Oscars and be in serious films. Al Pacino is a GREAT actor. But he also has been in some movies I really didn't like. A great actor to me is someone who I can COUNT ON! Someone who makes films that are CONSISTENTLY good, quality films. Every time I plop down $5 or $8 to see a Wesley Snipes film, I KNOW it's going to be good! He hasn't let me down so far. Passenger 57, The Fan, Blade, Blade II, The Money Train, Demolition Man, The Art of War, Undisputed, among others. I liked them all! I own them all (spare Undisputed). The guy knows how to pick good films, or films that I like, at least, and that is enough to make him one of my absolute favorite actors. I am a huge fan, definitely really like Snipes.

Then Jackie Chan, well, his off-screen personality actually makes me like him more. He has made plenty of pretty bad movies, trust me, I own many of them ;) But that was in his earlier career and now he has made a lot of good films. He's a really fun actor.

The same would go for Arnold that goes for Wesley Snipes. I've seen very few Arnold films I didn't think were good movies (3 stars or above). I own a really good Arnold collection too.

Oh and notice how much of my list is black, haha, I dunno what some people are talking about how black actors aren't getting noticed or something, I think a lot of the very best actors are black! Samuel L. Jackson is my all-time favorite actor. He is incredibly versatile, he is the most hard working actor I've ever seen (that was just a fact in the 1990's, did more films than anyone else!), and his movies are mostly really good. Guess who is 3/3 this year with great films? Jackson. First he gave me Changing Lanes, which I loved and would give 95/100, then he is in AOTC, which is 100/100, and then he was in XXX, which I'd also give 95/100. The guy picks great projects and he is going to be my actor of the year when 2002 ends (on JLBMovies.com), I am sure. Nobody else is competing, and he still has Formula 51 coming out. My god, you think this guy could take it easy after working so hard already! :)

I think a lot of the great actors are black, so whether they get recognized or not, bah, I recognize them.

Denzel Washington has turned in four performances specifically that I would never forget. The first was Crimson Tide, which I love, and then Remember the Titans, one of my favorite films (top 30 or 40 anyway), plus The Hurricane, where he is just AWESOME, and of course Training Day. I only gave Training Day 3 stars when I first saw it, not sure what I was smoking that day, because I was just wrong. I saw it again and gave it 3.5 stars, not quite 4, but I really like that film. His performance is just stunning.

Gurney Devries
Sep 12th, 2002, 06:31:38 AM
I don't have many favorites, to be honest. Not many people stand out, to me. There are a few, however.

Tom Cruise: Between his roles in Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, Interview With the Vampire and Legend, he's definitely caught my attention.

Brad Pitt: Is there anything this man can't do right? Detective Mills in Se7en, Tyler Durden in Fight Club, Jeffrey Goines in 12 Monkeys, Louis in IwtV, Mikey in Snatch... the list just goes on and on.

Samuel L Jackson: Pretty much any movie with Sam Jackson in it, no matter how bad, is probably worth seeing at least once. He not only has that "badass" atmosphere to him, but he usually also brings a certain kind of humor to his roles.

Ian McKellen: Man, I just love every role this guy's played. Having played everything from Gandalf the Grey to the supervillan Magneto, to the hardened Nazi in Apt Pupil, this guy is definitely my favorite actor.

Kurt Russell: I don't know why, but I really like the hardened tough-guy roles he usually plays. Snake Pliskin is definitely one of cinemas more memorable characters.

Al Pacino: Like a good wine, this man just keeps getting better with age.:)

Robin Williams: Personally, I like him better in his more "serious" roles. He's a great comedian, and an even better actor. I can't wait to see One Hour Photo.

Jennifer Connelly: She was in one of my favorite cult flicks (Labyrinth), a fairly underrated makes-you-think movie (Dark City) and the most amazing peice of cinematography ever: Requiem for a Dream.

Winona Ryder: She has this really creepy, quiet mood to her which she brings to all of her films. Plus, she's a hottie. ;)

Christopher Lee: Both his roles as Saruman the White and Count Dooku were excellent, but I haven't really seen him in much else. He's definitely a skileld actor, though.

Sene Unty
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:43:34 AM
My list:

Kevin Spacey
Edward Norton
Brad Pitt
Samuel L. Jackson
Ewan McGregor
Ian McKellen
Guy Pearce
Jennifer Connelly
Ben Affleck
Russell Crowe

JonathanLB
Sep 12th, 2002, 12:53:22 PM
Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise rule too, they should make my honorable mentions list... Pitt is the man! Spy Game, Fight Club, Ocean's Eleven, Twelve Monkeys, Snatch, definitely in a lot of my favorite films!

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 12th, 2002, 01:04:22 PM
(Has just realised that the girl in Labrynth was Jennifer Connelly)

I love that film! :D

And Nup, if you like Ian McKellen - rent Gods and Monsters. :)

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2002, 01:06:20 PM
She was in the Rocketeer too, but I dont think that mant like that, me aside :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 12th, 2002, 01:16:11 PM
Never seen it. :p

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2002, 01:22:35 PM
Was on TV last week :)

Christian Dekker
Sep 12th, 2002, 08:40:40 PM
In no order of favs.

Samuel L Jackson
Bruce Willis
Bill Murrey
Tom Hanks
Jodie Foster
Orlando Bloom
Liv Tyler
Ben Afleck
Matt Damon

Oriadin
Sep 13th, 2002, 03:36:52 AM
Denzel Washington is class. Hed be in my top 15 certainly. His performance in Remember the Titans was excellent but Training day, he was out of this world. One of the best performances ive ever seen from any actor. He really deserved the oscar he got for his role in Training day. Bought the DVD the day it came out too.

Johnathen made a great comment about women in films. There really arent many women that make you go and see a film because they are in it. Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock and kate winslet for me are about the only ones I would definitely go to see.

Nicole Kidmans role in Moulin Rouge was excellent but was outclassed by Ewan McGregor who has been sheer brilliant in everything Ive seen. Nicole did a fantastic job in the Others though. That was her best performance in my opinion.

Dutchy
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:03:32 AM
Some of my faves:

Actors: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Billy Bob Thornton, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, and Kevin Spacey.

Actresses: Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Polley, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kirsten Dunst, Juliette Lewis, and Uma Thurman.

JonathanLB
Sep 13th, 2002, 07:20:00 PM
If Paltrow had made any movies I actually liked, I would be more inclined to think highly of her, but considering her very awkward looks (she is not at all hot, *maybe* somewhat decent looking, but very weird appearance) and mostly dull roles, I just don't know about her. I wanted to see Sliding Doors, actually, but I saw Possession and that movie was BORING. Not bad, mind you. Just dull subject matter, boring film. A mediocre two star effort.

There is pretty much no girl that draws me to theaters. I definitely am more inclined to want to see a movie if the cast is all frickin' hot, like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back had Eliza Dushku and Shannon Elizabeth, damn, but that doesn't make me see a movie that I wouldn't have already seen, even if I weren't a critic, hehe, but since I am, moot point I guess... eh, oh well.

I am not a Julia Roberts fan. I am shocked at her success given that she is not very good looking whatsoever, her frickin' mouth is the size of most large whales, and you know what? I really don't find armpit hair sexy on weapon, I mean nothing personal, but I just feel that WOMEN should FRICKIN' SHAVE their ARMPITS! lol. My god. Wow she looks pretty hot in Pretty Woman. Oh wait, my bad, they used a body double in all of the scenes where she's hot. To me, Julia Roberts is just scary. I'd have to be really desperate to want to kiss a girl like that even, ugg. So how she has made it so far up, who knows, because Sandra Bullock is a cute, sexy woman and so is Meg Ryan. Most female leads are so good looking, don't know what is up with Roberts, and I don't find her acting that great either. "You ARE the weakest link [in Ocean's Eleven], goodbye!"

Nupraptor
Sep 13th, 2002, 08:05:22 PM
her frickin' mouth is the size of most large whalesHey, people like Angelina Jolie. :p

ReaperFett
Sep 13th, 2002, 08:08:30 PM
Yeah, but it suits her :)

JonathanLB
Sep 14th, 2002, 02:23:45 AM
I forgot, you can't get to the top in Hollywood without, ahem, chewing on some sausages, so it makes sense that the more you can fit in your mouth at one time, the higher up you can get!

I am talking about FOOD items here just to be totally clear about that. Nice big hotdogs with mustard, ketchup and relish, mmm :) haha

Angelina Jolie is hot, and I like her pouty lips, like I like Alicia Silverstone's pouty lips, but I don't like HUGE mouths, just big lips, and they can't be really gross big lips, they gots to be sexy big lips :) There is a fine line here...

Gabran Darkysa
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:06:14 AM
In no particular order:

Gene Hackman
Al Pacino
Robert Deniro
Clint Eastwood
Samuel L Jackson
Morgan Freeman
Kevin Spacey
Edward Norton
Wesley Snipes
Sean Connery
Ian Mckellen
Dustin Hoffman
Harrison Ford
Christopher Lee
Mel Gibson
Richard Harris
Jean Reno
Tim Roth
Christopher Walken
Malcom McDowell
Bruce Willis
Andy Garcia
Kim Bassinger
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Liv Taylor
Ulma Thurman

Probably others but can't think of them!

Gabran Darkysa
Sep 14th, 2002, 03:13:36 AM
Oh heck just realized why these other peeps lists were so small. Anyways I am not sure I can condense down to ten. ;)

Dutchy
Sep 14th, 2002, 05:06:49 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
If Paltrow had made any movies I actually liked, I would be more inclined to think highly of her, but considering her very awkward looks (she is not at all hot, *maybe* somewhat decent looking, but very weird appearance) and mostly dull roles, I just don't know about her. I wanted to see Sliding Doors, actually, but I saw Possession and that movie was BORING. Not bad, mind you. Just dull subject matter, boring film. A mediocre two star effort.

Paltrow isn't hot at all, agreed. But she's SO charming. That smile... *melt*. She's very radiant. Love to watch her. :)

Oh, and Sliding Doors is one of my all time favorite movies (I guess that's why you mentioned it?). You should definitely see it!

BUFFJEDI
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:24:39 AM
actors

1: Kendall (aka Buffjedi :D )

others in no order

jon amos

arnold (not that he is much of an actor)

van dam (see arnold)

Liam

actresses

nat portman (guess why )

bea arthur (not just another pretty face)

will have to think long and hard on other's

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:59:27 AM
Tom Hanks. I forgot him and Robin Williams. I like Sandra Bulloch, too and the chic that portrayed Bruce Willis' wife in the Die Hard flicks.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:59:43 PM
Ooooo, The Rocketeer...the first half of that movie was filmed in the town I live in. They used our little airport, since the surrounding area, if shot correctly, does look like LA out of the 30's. When the Disney crew left, they left behind the Bigelow building, which has now been refurbished and is part of our little museum of flight. :)

And it's not a bad movie either. :)

ReaperFett
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:03:15 PM
heh, cool :)

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:40:47 AM
"Oh, and Sliding Doors is one of my all time favorite movies"

Actually, I have really wanted to see this movie for a while. You know there are those films you just don't get to, or forget to rent, but I saw the previews and I thought it was really interesting. I just was busy at the time or didn't make it to theaters, that was a while ago, didn't have a car way back when that came out. So yeah, I hope I can see that movie sometime. Really seemed like an interesting idea for a film.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:19:43 AM
I've only seen the last 20 minutes, but meant to see it :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2002, 12:09:42 AM
SLIDING DOORS! *goes rabid*

You are my new best friend, Dutchy. I love that movie!! "No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition."

*swoons* :)

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 18th, 2002, 01:38:37 AM
10 Favorite Actors

Brad Pitt
Samuel L. Jackson
Val Kilmer
Russel Crowe
Gene Hackman
Mel Gibson
Kevin Spacey
John Travolta
Al Pacino
James Gandolfini

Actresses:

Sophie Marceau
Natascha McElhone
Lucy Liu
Julie Delphy
Halle Berry
Jeannine Garrofallo
Joey Adams
Geena Davis
Drew Barrymore
Julia Roberts

Sene Unty
Sep 18th, 2002, 07:37:24 AM
I forgot about James Gandolphini...I love him.