PDA

View Full Version : US Open Mens Final

Figrin D'an
Sep 8th, 2002, 08:02:04 PM
We have a few football threads, which is great of course... but how about some props for the other big sporting event of the day... the mens final of the US Open.

This really was a great match... watching Sampras and Agassi getting after each other again was awesome. I like Agassi, but I had to root for Pete in this one... everyone had completely written him off... he hadn't won a tournament since Wimbledon in 2000, he looked like maybe he had lost a step, some people said that he was tarnishing is career by staying around and getting knocked out in the early rounds of tournaments, that he was washed up and a past champion... it was great to see him prove everyone wrong. He wasn't dominating by any means, his serve is still a bit erratic... but he played hard, pulled out some incredible shots and took the championship in 4 sets.

Mens tennis needs Sampras and Agassi yet... they have no other big superstars... Roddick will be very good in a few years, and Hewitt is a solid player, but they aren't there yet... when Pete and Andre play well, people watch... when they don't, the ratings and publicity are paltry compared to the womens game.

Comments?

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:03:21 PM
I've been working so much on the house this weekend that I missed most of the big sporting events this weekend. When tennis is good, it's GREAT to watch. I grew up watching McEnroe and Connors battle each other at the Open and Wimbledon. Sampras has always been one of my favorites. I've watched him struggle these last two years and those last two losses at the Open finals were heartbreaking. It was great to see both those old timers make what could be one last final run. I only managed to catch a bit of the 3rd and 4th set when Andre made a comeback. I missed the end of the match, but was thrilled when I heard Sampras had won on my car radio. Way to go Pete!!

CMJ
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:49:34 PM
I've watched tennis since I was a kid(I also played for years...was on the team in highschool). It's probably actually my favorite sport believe it or not. Sampras has been my favorite player for years. I got his signature in '90 before he was PETE...he was just an up and comer. It's now one of my most prized possessions. So in other words....I love the guy. I almost cried seeing him win today....very, VERY emotional.

I'll stop now because I could type and type about that man.

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:54:06 PM
I've watched tennis since I was a kid(I also played for years...was on the team in highschool).
Ditto. Doubles my sophmore year, singles my junior year.

CMJ
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:55:39 PM
For me it was singles and doubles sophmore through senior years. ;)

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2002, 10:13:41 PM
I wish we could play one day. I haven't picked up a racquet in over 3 years. You know what it's like when you play after a long lay off. You feel sore for days. If I played 2 or 3 sets right now I'd have to stay in bed for a week. Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....:x

CMJ
Sep 9th, 2002, 09:23:46 AM
I haven't played in a few years myself. Nonetheless everytime I pass a tennis court I always wish I could. I definitely miss it.

JMK
Sep 9th, 2002, 10:16:24 AM
I've only played a couple times, but each time the racket went further than the ball at some point. :D