PDA

View Full Version : Phew, what a sports day! BOXING! :)

JonathanLB
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:35:47 PM
Well I feel like I was right in on all of the sports action Saturday when I went to ESPN.com just now!

The main story there is Miami, and I watched a bit of that game, they are AWESOME, wow. That team is like an NFL team, I swear. Last year some people were like, "The Ducks should have been #1" Well, uhh, lol, you know I'm happy we got to play Colorado and KICK their butts badly, because that made the Ducks look great, but vs. Miami? I think, uhh, no. Ducks would have been killed probably. It's a nice thought though :)

Anyway, so here in Portland, Oregon we had our first CHAMPIONSHIP boxing match in about 40 years. My dad went to the last one when he was younger, with his dad, and he took me to this one. We had GREAT seats! We were the row directly behind the ringside seats, so ours were $250 per ticket, but the ones 4 feet in front of us were $500! I thought our seats were better actually because they were slightly elevated and you can't really see as well from the ones ringside. You have to look over the guy/gal in front of you.

Anyway, it was Ray Jones Jr., one of the greatest fighters alive today, versus challenger Clinton Woods. Jones, that guy is just awesome, he had no problems at all. He put Woods down in the 6th round. The ref just called it off because Jones was beating his @$$ all over the ring. Jones put on this rap show entrance before he even came in, hehe, it was pretty sweet. He's a talented, smart guy who is great for boxing. Then he proceeded to add victory #47 to his career.

He is 47-1. The only time he lost was because of a disqualification, which he avenged by scheduling a rematch and beating the hell out of that guy in THREE minutes, not even two rounds. He has beaten EVERY opponent he has ever faced. Nobody even wants to fight this guy anymore.

I had a lot of fun at the fight, not just watching that one, but you know they have about 8 fights before that. The one directly before was fantastic, until the loser got DQed for REPEATED (about EIGHT) low blows, which got really annoying. He got owned pretty badly though. I liked that other boxer, Winky or something, I don't know how you spell it but that's how you say it. In the blue trunks. He is quite a boxer himself. The other bouts were mostly jokes, I mean, come on, two fat guys going at it, pretty pathetic, and then the little guys going at it. That was pretty cool...

Plus I watched most of the Ducks game and that was on ESPN.com just now too. Good day for sports!

Oh Foreman was at this fight too, that was tight. Plus I have been within 2 feet of Oscar De La Hoya before. The first time I went to Las Vegas, we saw a show there, and he was sitting directly in front of me. We were in the VIP section and it took a bit to recognize who he was, but then we weren't totally sure, until they announced it over the PA. "Also here with us tonight is GOLDEN BOY OSCAR DE LA HOYA," and everyone cheers, then he stood up, hehe. It rocked! Boxing is a great sport, when it's not tainted by idiots like Tyson. He ruins the sport. I don't like to see anyone that STUPID and with a voice that sissy. I like to see real men fight. Real men don't treat women like crap, they don't talk like girlies, and they don't have IQs of less than 50 either. Real men go out there and fight clean fights and are good for the sport in which they are involved.

Here is the ESPN link to the fight article, pretty good read!
http://msn.espn.go.com/boxing/news/2002/0907/1428839.html

JediBoricua
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:57:48 PM
Roy Jones was great, currently he is just fighting assistant teacher's and taxi cab drivers. He has not faced real opposition for 4 years now. If he wants to be remembered as something more than a 'decent' fighter he has to give Bernard Hopkins a chance at it again. He could also fight that german dude, Michawoski (the spelling is completely wrong).

Anyway, I sure hope that De la Hoya destroys Vargas next week. I really dislike Vargas attitude, and de la Hoya is my best friend's neighbor! I have seen him tons of time running around the neighborhood (he married a Puertorican, a very beautiful puertorican actress/singer). He is a really great guy, especially after he recognized Trinidad beat him, ;).

Boxing, I love it. I have been to many matches, some championships also. Also be on the look out for Miguel Cotto, he will appear on the Vargas/DLH undercard. What a prospect, you'll be impressed! I saw him live, and I could hear the punches, they even hurted from 30 feet away.

JonathanLB
Sep 8th, 2002, 01:06:48 AM
I really like De La Hoya! He's a good boxer and he is good for the sport. He seems like a nice guy.

Well Jones has faced plenty of boxers with great records and he just has never been beaten. He has put down every opponent who he has faced. That says quite a bit, IMO. But he does need more of a challenge because these guys he is fighting in this weight class, they just can't compete.

JediBoricua
Sep 8th, 2002, 10:55:26 AM
In 96-97 he was IT. Now he is just doing it for the buck.

JMK
Sep 8th, 2002, 04:03:17 PM
Pound for pound Jones Jr is probably the most devastating boxer alive. He demolished this guy who doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in this thread. He's lucky Jones didn't kill him.

JonathanLB
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:37:55 PM
Yeah, amen to that.

JediBoricua
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:32:45 PM
Well DLH destroyed Vargas last night. I was a bit scared in the first round because the Golden Boy took some damage and looked really surprised about Vargas' power. But he demonstrated who the best boxer was after the 6, when he finally controlled the tempo of the bout and established his game.

A vicious combination on the 10th, 3 punches to the body, a massive left to the chin, sent Vargas stumbling, 10 more seconds and that would have been it, but Vargas was saved by the bell. The 11th started and ended with DLH trowing the Ferocious to the ground one time, and then cornering him forcing Ref. Joe Cortez to stop the event.

Great job for de la Hoya, a great fight for both opponents. The first half ended 3/3, but after the 6 Oscar dominated. A great night for boxing in general.

P.S. Vargas loss some points in my eye for abandoning the ring after being stripped of the belt. No post-fight interview, not even a hand shake for the champion. Bad.

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2002, 10:49:15 PM
Dude, he was so badly smashed after that fight that I don't think he could even think of what he was doing. He wouldn't have given an interview because he was just totally demolished at that point. I doubt he even knew where he was or who he was or what he was doing! :)

JMK
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:07:36 AM
Not a bad performance for someone who hadn't fought in 15 months. Hopefully Vargas will shut his big trap now.

foxdvd
Sep 17th, 2002, 08:26:17 PM
That was a great fight.

JediBoricua
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:59:08 PM
Great to see you Fox! Agree, an awesome fight, best of the year by a long shot.

foxdvd
Sep 21st, 2002, 10:07:32 AM
Yes it was an excellent fight. Oscar learned a lot from the Tito loss, and I think he has also discovered his own iron chin. A rematch with Tito (if Tito would do it) would be AMAZING….oh man that would be a great fight.

JediBoricua
Sep 21st, 2002, 10:53:38 AM
It would a brawl to the end at 154. The only factor is if Oscar can handle Tito's power, he could at 147, but at 154 tito is another thing. Vargas said on thursday that Tito hits ten time harder than Oscar. But sadly, all the news point (remember the local newspaper here has at least two or three articles on Tito every week) that he wont make a comeback. He is weighing around 180 now, he is not fat or anything, he simply has allowed his body to return to his normal size. I really doubt he could be back in less that half a year, unless they put a 20 million tag on the fight for each there is no chance the fight will happen. A shame, it's the best opportunity for both fighters to cement their legacy.

On other news, it seems Roy Jones if finally going to take a gamble in his career. A Local Newspaper (www.endi.com) today reports that the deal for him to fight Heavyweight Champion, yes HEAVYWEIGHT, John Ruiz is 99% complete. This will be a dangerous fight IMO, I mean Ruiz is slow and by far the worst of the heavyweight champions, but he will have at least 50+ weigh advantage on Jones. At 200 pound Jones will not be as fast as he is at 175, a big punch by Ruiz can end it fairly quickly. Of course if Jones manages to keep his speed, and keeps moving around the ring and ducking, he will win by decision.