PDA

View Full Version : Role Playing Help!

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 6th, 2002, 09:59:59 PM
Well it seems that Lance and I have stumbled upon a small Role Playing problem.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22384

If you read the post 10 and 11, Xeno claims that he 'Force Pushed' Lance towards the trunk of the tree. But in Lance's post, he claims that he stops the Force push.

But I clearly state "Lance was pushed by the Force towards the trunk of a tree."

He says that he is immune to this because I'm at a lower rank and that he is superior rank (Jedi Knight). But there's a problem.

Since TSE moved away from SWFans, Xeno really doesn't have a rank anymore. And if he did, there would be no way to get promoted.

So I'm really confused on how that attack should be decided.

Inu
Sep 6th, 2002, 10:10:42 PM
How about if Lance is pushed and negates part of it, but not all of it? That way your attack gets off and Lance gets some defense.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 6th, 2002, 11:41:54 PM
That's what I would suggest, as well.

Try to focus less on rank and more on actual skill. If a padawan learner can RP noticeably better than a Jedi Master, well, tough luck to the Jedi Master if they duel. The padawan can probably find some way to best the Master - or at least not get whupped like most people would assume a Master could whup a padawan - rank or no.

Of course, rank is usually an indication of skill. So meh.

Still, my advice in RPing is to always try to roll with the punches.

Dae Jinn
Sep 7th, 2002, 12:56:12 AM
You can always do what Sorsha and possibly others do, roll a dice. flip a coin.or something,

TheHolo.Net
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:01:16 AM
It has always been my belief that a Force attack that is physical in nature is unstoppable no matter a person’s rank. The Force ability/proficiency of the opponent may allow them the foresight to see it coming, but negating or being immune to it isn’t possible in my book. A Force attack is an act of nature and as such unstoppable, though there are many ways of defending against such a thing, being immune isn’t feasible, IMO.

This is of course just an opinion and not a rule, you are free to believe what you wish.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:37:53 AM
If I shove you with my hands, you could possibly block me from touching you.

If I blow you over with a gust of wind, you can't stop that. I agree with Swfans.net.

Verse Dawnstrider
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:15:46 AM
yep yep. He may be able to block out some of the pain when he hits the tree, but immunity is not right.

Garrett Blade
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:17:53 AM
Depends on the person receiving the blow to be honest. It's easier to push a little fart of a guy. But try against a sumo-bugger and I think it would be less effective.

Chaos Alexander
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:45:02 AM
Yoda said "Size matters not." I understand what your sayin' though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 7th, 2002, 12:31:51 PM
Yes but if you don't take their size into account, you'd be like Luke trying to lift the X-wing. 'Impossible" he said. But Yoda (A master, not a padawan, like Luke was) lifted it out of the swamp. Case in point. I think. o_O

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:31:08 PM
But then again, Lance isn't really an overweight person.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:41:15 PM
...It's just a force push into a tree... it's not like the end of the world. :p

Thgouh I agree that a Force push can't really be stopped or someone be immune to it. It's gonna hit no matter what. But maybe as a Knight, Lance could just say that he stumbled backwards because it caught hhim off guard, but was able to catch himself and balance himself with some aid of the force before hitting the tree.

*shrugs*

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:07:56 PM
Yeah, what Snack said. Ride out the move and use it to your advantage :D

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 7th, 2002, 03:50:19 PM
Some may have more knowledge of the force, hence giving them "more power", but once the force is brought into play, you cant negate it. Its the force regardless of whose doing the pushing. As Vega said, turn it to your advantage somehow.

Severen Morkonis
Sep 7th, 2002, 03:54:54 PM
I think a force push is a force push..what rank you are does not show if you can block it or not, ive force pushed Anibira before, i remeber long ago..and he was a Jedi Master not a Knight....whatever rank you are the force push will kncok you down no quiestion.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:54:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth Snack
...It's just a force push into a tree... it's not like the end of the world. :p

Thgouh I agree that a Force push can't really be stopped or someone be immune to it. It's gonna hit no matter what. But maybe as a Knight, Lance could just say that he stumbled backwards because it caught hhim off guard, but was able to catch himself and balance himself with some aid of the force before hitting the tree.

*shrugs*

*Shrug* Why not I'll edit later thanks for the help peeps

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 7th, 2002, 05:41:54 PM
Bwha, I win *maliciously grins* Uh.. I mean, we've agreed to a decision.

LOL, thanks a lot for your time and help everyone. We really do appreciate it. ;)

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 7th, 2002, 07:03:32 PM
Welcome. :)

*goes back to watching the race at Richmond*

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 9th, 2002, 10:18:52 AM
personally, the only thing one would be able to do in my opinion was maybe lessen the impact by countering with the force a little but I don't see the force as being blockable.....