PDA

View Full Version : Some bad SW related news.

JMK
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:12:08 AM
Check out theforce.net for what I'm talking about. Basically it has separate stories about how the AotC Imax deal fell apart, and even worse, how GL will never release the OT unedited version ever again. It's SE's from here on in kids.

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:20:29 AM
I liked the SEs. I'd PREFER they redid Jabba, and PREFER Han shot first, but doesnt bother me that much. There's more pros than cons

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:39:03 AM
Can you explain in laymen's terms for me? Im not following what you mean. :huh

darth_mcbain
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:33:07 AM
According to the George Lucas, the movies will never be released again in their original format. It will only be the special editions that came out about 5 years ago, in which they added Jabba, had Han shoot first, added more Wampa, etc...

I'm with Reap - I like the special editions, although I still don't like the whole Greedo/Han change... I still have ANH and ROTJ in their original format that I taped off of cable, and I know I had ESB too - I'll have to hunt for that one, so I should be covered as far as having both the originals and special editions...

As for the IMAX, that does suck, but I can live without those...

JMK
Sep 5th, 2002, 10:43:21 AM
I prefer the SE's too, as they represent Lucas' vision more completely, but I agree with Jedieb in that we should be able to see the movies we all grew up with.

darth_mcbain
Sep 5th, 2002, 11:23:07 AM
Absolutely... I like the SEs, but I am still really glad I have the originals and I pop those in now and then to remember the good ol' days. The DVD release would be the perfect place to release both versions - it is a shame that they won't...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 5th, 2002, 11:48:03 AM
He still might change his mind there who knows with Lucas, doesn't bother me much though, I like the SE better too, though I wish Lucas change it to Han shooting first or at least edit the movie so it looks like it is possible that Greedo could have shot first, I can't understand how it is possible that Greedo missed that easily with out Han ducking or something.

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2002, 12:06:49 PM
THat's my bggest thing about the scene though, the spasm Han seems to have :)

JMK
Sep 5th, 2002, 03:45:13 PM
Yes, that spasm is very ugly. They shouldn't have attempted to "fix" that scene if they couldn't make it 100% realistic.
Of course, in that train of thought, no special effects would ever get done, but the difference here is that they already had a completed movie, and botched the scene.

Jedieb
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:23:03 AM
Thank God I've got my deluxe OT boxed set. I think it's just plain stubborness on Lucas' part. Maybe he doesn't want a constant reminder of how much BETTER the original Han/Greedo scene worked the first time. It's all about what a young and hungry filmmaker in 20's thinks is cool versus what a middle aged father of 3 thinks is "bad" for kids. LET HAN SHOOT FIRST!!!!

Admiral Lebron
Sep 6th, 2002, 01:12:55 PM
I like Greedo shooting first. :( I have like every version of Star Wars released onto VHS and dvd.

JMK
Sep 6th, 2002, 05:04:32 PM
I've got everything too, but I still hate Greedo shooting first. I wouldn't have minded it so much if he had actually hit Han from that range, but that would have made for a pretty dumb character introduction.

Morrigan Van-Derveld
Sep 6th, 2002, 05:56:22 PM
I like the SE's better...

But I want to know something: When they remastered A New Hope, why the Heck didn't they improve those awful computer diagrams of the Death Star?

JMK
Sep 6th, 2002, 06:42:32 PM
Because they have to leave something unfinished for the "ultimate editions". If they did everything they wanted to do, a third release would seem like a callous cash-grab. :)