PDA

View Full Version : The promised return (The Black Rider)

Alera Starreyes
Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:39:52 AM
Alera stepped quietly through the woods. It was night, the stars shining gently overhead. Some would call her foolish for coming here at night - but in truth, she was safer now than at any other time. This was her element. Nature, and starlight.
The young woman stopped in the middle of a clearing. Her midnight blue cloak seemed to blend with the darkness around. For a moment, she closed her eyes, breathing the night air deeply. Then, she spoke quietly, knowing the one she sought, the Black Rider, would hear her.
"I'm back."

The Black Rider
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:13:14 PM
The fates would not cease their torment on his life. He was convinced of that now. She had returned--and he would kill her. It was that simple. There was no other explanation. Fate had knocked on this dreaded door and he had no choice but to open. A pity, for sure, that she had to die. She could be such a promising pada--

That was it! Is picture perfect memory recalled that she had mentioned that she had a dark streak. It had been in her soul when he probed it. He would feed on her now like a leech seeking an open wound. He would bring it out of her.

"So soon, my dear?" His voice came from all edges of the clearing. Somehow, she had sniffed out his woods. Discerning, yes. He may have to find a new home.

"Why did you come this time? Is it not obvious what wishes I have for my peace and quiet?" His voice still echoed from the outskirts of the clearing.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 5th, 2002, 02:49:48 PM
Alera remained silent, merely waiting where she stood. Her icy eyes were sharp as she scanned the woods, although she knew she wouldn't see him until he wished her to.
She felt the wind blow softly through her hair, listened to its song. The stars shimmered. Alera took courage from the night.
A sense of finality hung upon the air. It would end here, one way or another.
Quietly, she said, "Perhaps destiny called me here."

The Black Rider
Sep 5th, 2002, 03:03:36 PM
"Destiny...do you understand destiny, young one? Have you seen its wheels in motion? 100s and 100s of years of its plans fall into place, and one way or another, destiny comes out the victor." His voice still seemed to come to her ears from every edge of the wood. "Are you sure you will answer its call?"

He would let her probe herself for her true emotion. He would kill her for sure if she wished to combat him. It was fate that called out to him, told him to be weary of the girl. He would not accept it's pleads. She would join him or he would destroy her. It was that simple.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 5th, 2002, 03:56:07 PM
"I am prepared to face whatever it has to bring." She said calmly. Into the Rider's mind, she said, You'll not find me so easy to frighten this time.

The Black Rider
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:42:30 PM
The Rider laughed--it grew in his soul and rose to a great volume. He stepped into the clearing before the girl, standing with his broad shoulders and ominous figure, the moon as a backdrop. His hood--darker than ever--sent its icy gaze on Alera's face.

"Not afraid? Not afraid? Well then, it looks like someone has become quite confident in her abilities." The Rider taunted her. "So, let me pose this question: Have you come to learn the ways of the darkside, my dear? Or have you come in a futile attempt to 'save me?'" He laughed as he mocked the ideal of salvation. It was as far away as anything--he could never be saved.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:07:35 AM
Alera gazed at him sadly. All she said was, "No. I am not afraid."

She closed her eyes. Calling on the Force, and on her own natural affinity for light, she opened her palm in front of her. Light blossomed gently around it, swirling, sparkling. It was mostly white and silver, but it glowed in other colors too, and in colors, too, that could not be seen, only sensed. Its light was gentle, not explosive. Just there. It was as though she held a star in her hand.

She opened her eyes. "Have you forgotten what this looks like?" She asked softly. "Once you showed me true darkness. A powerful force indeed. But isn't it a wonder that light like this can stand up to that? Or have you forgotten that? That light cannot wholly replace darkness, and darkness cannot wholly swallow light?" She spoke to both the Rider and to the spirit she knew imprisoned him. "You are not pure evil." She smiled slightly. "All the proof you need is up there."

The Black Rider
Sep 9th, 2002, 08:51:34 AM
The Rider began to hesitate with speech. He felt Kun stir in him and, hoping so as not to awake the spirit, he had to defend against the girl's verbal communication. He could not allow it to change his mind or sway his emotion.

"It is true, that the light has power. But like a candle, the flame of light can be put out. True darkness, like cold breath, can blow away even the brightest candle." The Rider took his time. This, he had a feeling, was going to be much more interesting than their meeting before. No meddlesome guests; no one to interfere. Though The Rider did not fear combat, he wished to probe this girl. He wished to satisfy his curiousity that she held so gingerly.

"Tell me: why do you trust in the light? Why is it so much more...satisfying than the dark?" His voice rasped as he wheezed the words. Time for a break in speech as he listened.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 9th, 2002, 03:06:41 PM
Alera sighed. She let her hand fall back to her side, though light still danced around it. "Why do I trust in the light?" She thought about this. "Well... if you have to place your trust in anything, why place it in lies when you can trust in the truth?" She smiled a little. "Light is truth. Light is patience, compassion, love, honesty, faith, hope... of course I trust in that, rather than hatred and lies." The light around her hand flashed briefly gold. "Healing is more satisfying than hurting."
-Don't you remember?- She sent into his mind. -Don't you remember what it was like to be a part of the light?-
She shook her head. "I would rather place my trust in a flickering candle than in the shadows that lurk around it."

(OOC: TTT)

The Black Rider
Sep 11th, 2002, 07:02:28 PM
"I, my dear, find placing my trust in myself and my power alone to be the path to enlightenment." He was spinning the web ever so slightly. Please, come in little fly. Have a seat, it is rather comfortable. "Surely you feel it too. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. Do not let the light blind you--the power lies in your hands only."

He moved closer to her, letting he presence surround her. He let power radiate. In the hopes that he would intoxicate her and intice her to want the same power.

"You can do it yourself--it is about power of the mind. The Force is your slave...you are not a slave to it."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 12th, 2002, 05:23:33 PM
Alera leaned forward ever so slightly. The light around her hand flickered. She felt a hunger, she wanted the power...
Remember the night in the alley!
That thought, that memory, broke the spell. She took a step backward, not of her own volition.
"Power..." she murmured. "Power can be used to hurt or to help. It just depends on how long it takes to corrupt you." She shook herself. The light around her hand grew steady again.
"The Force is neither a slave nor a master. It is part of everything, and everything is part of it." She said quietly. She looked at him a moment, her piercing gaze almost seeming to see through, beyond the darkness in the depths of his hood.

The Black Rider
Sep 13th, 2002, 08:53:35 AM
"My dear, that is where you confuse your loyalty," he spoke, almost in a mocking tone. She would not escape him here. He would invader her mind with his own--he had quite an intellect.

"Power...we crave it. It is only nature, only the Force that would dictate our love of power." He took a long breath to regain his vocal strength. "Why fight it? Why? What does it prove? Let me tell you this--I have seen men crumble because of power. I have seen men fear it, love it, kill for it, and die because of it. It is a cycle that never, ever ends." His icy gaze fell upon her eyes and deeper into her mind as she looked into the darkness of his hood. "When we make it a cycle we do not take our turn in...we lose."

In many ways, the young face, the light emitted from her palms, made him doubt his own words. He saw so much more power in this young girl--in compassion, faith, and love--than he had seen in many great warriors over the centuries. It came to bother him slightly--ever so slightly. Not enough to sway him or change his mind, however.

"Centuries have passed before my eyes and each one leaves a similar mark in the cycle: those with the power thrive; those who ignor it die."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 13th, 2002, 03:04:28 PM
"I do not ignore power." She smiled slightly, wearily. "If I ignored it, I'd probably end up doing something wrong with it." Memories flashed through her mind, and she shivered. "That's why I fight it."

The Black Rider
Sep 15th, 2002, 12:53:18 PM
A point of intrigue.

"What is it that you fight, dear Alera?" His gaze continued to chill her even though the comment was almost caring. Not quite--as it was a false concern. The effect and point was well made, however.

"What do you fear in yourself? Why do you fear it?" He probed her thoughts. She had tasted blood before. She had felt the darkside--he knew this from their last meeting. The questioned was, and remained, how. Was it an outside influence? Was it from inside? He guessed it was from inside and so probed her mind for answers.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:23:43 PM
Alera's first instinct was to try to force the Rider out of her mind the moment she felt his presence there - but instead, she summoned up images from her past. The countless times she'd lost control. The defenseless people she'd ended up killing because of a moment of anger. The rage, the helplessness... she showed it all to him. Why? She didn't know. Maybe she felt like he might understand.
She stopped, breathing hard. "That's why." She said, almost inaudibly. "I don't want to hurt anyone. That's why I'm afraid of what I could do if I let myself go."

The Black Rider
Sep 17th, 2002, 10:54:47 PM
"Why, Alera? Why not?" His voice gained in volume now as he was making a point. "These people--these innocents--they are weak! They have no control or power over their lives. They cannot make themselves like you and I can. Why fight it? Why not make them our slaves?" He let his gaze seep into her thoughts. Her flashbacks, her pain--it may have touched the man hidden in the robes. But he nor Kun would give an inch yet.

"If not our slaves, what will they be? Slaves to land--farmers. Slaves to commerce--entrepeneurs. Slaves to the masses--senators. Why not us? Are we not worthy of their praise? I think, my dear, that we are." A laugh formed in his throat. "Indeed, we are quite worthy. If we do not rule the sheep that populate the hills of this universe, who will? I will not leave it to be decided--I will be of the ruling class. And you....you could too, Alera..."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:19:36 PM
"They are weak, and that is exactly why they should be protected." Alera shook her head. "If you think I wish to have power over... sheep... then you don't know me at all. And as for you..." She raised an eyebrow. "Are you not as much a slave as they?"
The comment was not meant to be provacative - it carried the simple note of truth. Wasn't he? Wasn't he in the end only a slave to Kun and the Dark Side?

The Black Rider
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:18:21 PM
The Rider was taken back by the comment. He hadn't anticipated her saying something like this--not until now. It struck the spirit in him hard, making the dust of his own will shake off as light stirred where it had once been lifeless for so long.

"Maybe so...maybe so." He thought out loud, thinking how foolish he had been to let her slip into his own heart with a comment like that. He would guard well against this from happening again. "A slave to this power...I will live with that burden, my dear. I am not merely a slave to it--I agree with it's principles and, sometimes humbly, commit to it's will. But it allows me to thrive as a ruler over others. And that is priceless."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:54:46 PM
"Priceless?" Alera repeated in a tone of disbelief. "What of the cost of your humanity?! Are you really so willing to lose that?"

The Black Rider
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:37:39 AM
The spirit inside of him cried out for peace, for justice.

Say no! Say no! She can help you--she can save you! He thought about he possiblity of being revived, changing his life. Hew would be straying away from centuries and centuries of darkness. Was it even possible? His heart seemed to beat again as the spirit pushed forward.

Of course it's possible! You can change! The Light side can change you! Remember? His mind wandered to memories passed. He thought of the times of old, times when he was a man. When he was a warrior of truth and justice. Jarus had been his name. He was a knight for his clan.

You remember. See? You remember how---..... His heart ceased. The voice of The Other came into his mind abruptly.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE! YOU ARE THE BLACK RIDER NOW--YOU HAVE NO PAST, YOU HAVE NO FUTURE, JUST DARKNESS...don't you ever forget that. It was Kun, and the voice screamed into his mind. It was true, he could no undo what was done. He could not risk it--Kun could kill him. He resumed his thoughts where he had left.

"...Humanity...it is such an ill-defined term. Humanity is the state of being human. Being a human, in many cases, can mean being weak. This body ceases to be human, for it does not have all of the characteristics of life. Only death, Alera Starreyes, resides in this shell." He sneered at her as he said this. He would crush all attempts she made at his conscience. Slowly, it seemed, the want to do so was slipping away. "So what does my humanity mean to me now? Nothing."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:43:46 PM
That's not true, she thought. She'd sensed his inner conflict, the war between himself and the spirit that possessed him in those few seconds. That's not true at all...

The light around Alera's hand changed to a soft blue. Her eyes were gentle, filled with pity and compassion.

"Does he really have so strong a hold on you?" She asked softly.

The Black Rider
Sep 21st, 2002, 02:23:04 PM
"If by he you mean my inner self, then yes. The power that lives within me is strong, and I will serve it. Better to be servant to the most powerful being than an enemy to it." He hissed at Alera. She pried into his inner being--he did not like the prying. It made him uncomfortable. He would work to push it away.

"The only hold that is upon my will is my own craving for power. I love it--I breathe it, treasure it. I will gain it at all costs. Even if the cost is my humanity."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 21st, 2002, 03:18:50 PM
"What does power give you?" Alera demanded. "What good is it? You don't have your freedom. You're all alone. It doesn't seem like power has done too much for you, so tell me, what good is it?!"

(OOC: TTT)

The Black Rider
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:38:13 PM
The wind grew harsh and the trees trembled. The moon itself seem to lose light as The Rider's anger flared. His voice grew deep and deafening.

"You will watch your tone with me, young one," his voice rang with the power of demonic vocal chords. Everything around him began to settle down as did his figure. "This discussion will continue...but at the price of good behavior." His voice regained its rasp and hissed to the girl. He did not appreciate the question she asked, and he made it quite evident and vocal.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 24th, 2002, 02:10:44 PM
In the face of the Rider's fury, Alera remained calm.

"I take it you don't care for that question overmuch."

She sighed.

"But I suppose I don't really need to ask it... after all, the answer is plainly in front of me." Her eyes held pity. "You aren't happy as you are now. All the power in the Universe cannot do that. Obviously, it hasn't, because powerful indeed you are and yet you are not happy. You hardly feel anything, except hatred, fear, despair, and even those one day will be gone from you."

The Black Rider
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:56:16 AM
"There is no happiness," he spoke spitefully. She was pulling many details out of him that he did not want to discuss. "There is only power. There are no feelings. Only anger. Don't you understand? Light cannot exist in these shadowy robes." His demeanor became a bit more cross. He was not thinking about attack, he was just becoming impatient. He wanted her to join him--wanted an ally in the girl. He did not seek to be redeemed.

"And what of you? Are you happy? Does the light truly guide? Or does it blind." He opened his own anger to channel into her. "You can feel it, I sense it. You are not ignorant. You have tasted power. All that you could have, Alera, all that you could see and do. It can be yours." He smiled inside. He let images of paradise fall into her head. The picture of her as a queen alongside a great king. Everything shiny and beautiful and studded with jewels. "I can give it to you...teach you to recieve it..."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:22:38 PM
Alera forced the Rider out of her mind, breathing hard. "I do not desire such things," she said harshly. She took a few deep breaths, before saying more calmly, "If you think that's what I want, then you're wrong."

She closed her eyes, letting the night renew her calm. "In light rests true happiness... yet it is not only happiness, for without sorrow there cannot be any joy, because then what would it be?" She sighed.

"There is light yet in you, or you wouldn't have been angered by my question." She smiled slightly. She knew she'd hit upon some key things there, and that was why he'd responded as he did; the part of him that Kun had imprisoned knew and remembered, but the spirit would not allow him to give in. That was why she angered him.

The Black Rider
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:33:56 AM
"Maybe you are right," he hissed. It could be true. He let his gaze fall to the ground as he "thought" about what she said. He would pretend that she was having a great effect on him, allowing her to trust him and come near him. Then he would strike in her mind. It would be a clever trap.

"I, I don't know anymore..." he became slightly emotional. "I think....maybe I'm wrong. I need help!" He wailed with great tears. It seemed as though he was annointing for his sins. He let the sobbing fly as he cam to his knees before Alera.

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Alera Starreyes
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:36:07 PM
Alera crouched down in front of him. She said nothing, simply watching him quietly. Something seemed wrong here, but she would trust her feelings rather than her inctincts, as she had always done...

The Black Rider
Sep 27th, 2002, 09:28:31 AM
He sobbed loudly and uncontrollably. The 'tears' seem to flow as he wailed.

"It started with my mother...she said I would never make it in this world...she told me I was weak..." He let his sobbing continue, drawing the girl closer to him. He knew that if he could just get his hand on her again, he would be able to fully enter her mind. He could create fantasies and illusions in her brain, giving her a taste of the power he offered.

"My father...he hurt me...so many time..." Still sobbing, his voice softened. Draw her in, he thought. Let her come to you. No aggression, no violence, let it be her own fault.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 27th, 2002, 02:40:33 PM
Alera continued to quietly watch him. Perhaps it was some silent inner warning that kept her from acting immediately.

Finally, slowly, she held out her hand.

The Black Rider
Sep 28th, 2002, 06:45:59 PM
"You...you would hold your hand to me? Even though I have done you so much harm?" He said this with more actual truth than he thought. He was suprised--he never thought the trick would work. Now that it was...he almost felt...guilty. Was guilty the word?

It couldn't be! He had killed so many in his time--thousands and thousands and thousands of people! Some, hundreds at a time! Kun had given him power that could not be described. And yet, here with this little girl, this young, ignorant warrior, who had the courage to approach him with care...he felt guilty...

He drew back from her silently. It seemed as though he may have destroyed the chances of his trap working, but it mattered not. He began to question some things.

"Why are you doing this? Don't you have better causes to pursue? You have much life ahead of you, girl. There is no need to chase a souless body like mine."

Alera Starreyes
Sep 29th, 2002, 08:14:38 AM
In answer to his questions, Alera only smiled.

"I'm giving you a chance," she said quietly. She did not lower her hand. "Do you want my help?"

The Black Rider
Sep 29th, 2002, 04:08:32 PM
Though it was obvious the girl meant well, she had made a major mistake. The Rider maintained a very high level of confidence, and the comment she made seemed to mock him.

"Giving me a chance?" The Rider questioned, laughing wildly. "You are giving me a chance? Do not confuse our positions, girl. You stand before me alive only because of my own mercy!" His voice grew in volume as he threatened.

Alera Starreyes
Sep 29th, 2002, 05:41:19 PM
"For which I am grateful." She sighed. "I'm not confusing our positions," Alera said quietly. "It seems to me that you're the one in trouble, not I.

"I'm giving you a chance to turn back before you destroy yourself. I'm offering hope when Kun can only offer you hatred. You can choose."

Still she did not lower her hand.

-Take my hand,- she said quietly through the Force. -You can take the chance I'm offering you. Or, if you wish, you could cause me great harm. I care not... though I hope you'll choose the former, for your sake.-

Light flickered in and out of view around her hand.

-Take my hand.-

The Black Rider
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:42:20 PM
"Trouble? You know not what trouble is, young on! You have no idea!" He was becoming angered. She was touching a side of him he had left untouched--for a reason. He would not face it.

She kept speaking to his mind, over and over. The mind, it seemed, was as pure as his spirit. He could not ignore his feelings--his yearning for redemption. He fought for it. But Kun's hold was strong. She would be harmed for him...what did that say? It was so odd that courage was manifested in a form so pure. A light in the darkness.

I can't...I can't...GET AWAY FROM HIM! The Rider's mind snapped at the girl's as his hooded gaze took on a new form. It's darkness seemed to swirl with anger.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 1st, 2002, 03:48:24 PM
Alera sighed. She'd been afraid of this. But it did make sense...

So it was plain enough the Rider couldn't throw Kun off on his own... but could he with her help? She wasn't sure. She knew she was no match for the spirit alone. Maybe even if the Rider accepted her help, the two of them couldn't do it. And what the price be for such defiance?

She slowly lowered her hand, feeling utterly frusterated.

"There is nothing you can do?" She asked quietly.

The Black Rider
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:30:28 AM
The Rider's body calmed. It seemed that all the rage that was buult inside of him stopped in one single moment. Nothing moved, except the hem of his cloak whipping in the night's wind.

"Yes." He stated it absently and quietly. "There is one thing I can do." He reached out with the Force and threw the young girl across the clearing. The push was strong and forceful. It seemed as though she would break in two as she smashed against a tree.

"You are a fool! He is mine. Do you understand that?" The Rider--or maybe just Kun--lifted her from the ground again, tossing her into another tree. The trunk crunched as her body slammed against it. "It seems as though you cannot take a hint, now can you girl?" From The Rider's hood came wicked laughter that Alera had heard before.

FEAR ME! The voice rang loudly in her head. FEAR M...no...I'm sorry, young one. You musn't...FEAR ME! YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS, JARUS! The conflict in thoughts was insanity. The combat was frightening and terrible--a rivalry of centuries.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:23:18 PM
Pain charged through Alera's body. She groaned quietly, stunned, disoriented. She painfully coughed a little, blood flecking the ground as she did so. Only the Force kept her from losing consciousness.

I have to get up, Alera thought faintly, surprised she could think at all. And even more surprised it didn't hurt even to think.

The girl used the tree to help her stand. She did it, barely, though only her eyes reflected the excruciating pain she was in. She managed to send him a message through the Force.

-He is not yours! He never was! You stole him from the Light where he belongs!-

"I'm not afraid of you." She added aloud. She stepped away from the tree slightly, standing without its support. Her voice was clear and unafraid. Alera didn't draw her sword, nor her saber. Maybe if she didn't try to fight, she could confuse the spirit that posessed the Rider.

If I live long enough, she thought grimly.

The Black Rider
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:40:57 AM
"You know little of what belongs to me!" A voice that was not The Rider's echoed from within the hood. Again, Alera found herself lifted, soaring across the clearing into another tree. The trunk shook as she smashed into it.

"Let me tell you something, young one. It......." The Rider twitched. "Alera...you can't save me! I'm sorry, but he has too much pow--SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" The Rider stumbled backwards as the war in his mind raged on. It seemed equally--if not more--fierce than the one between himself and Alera.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 4th, 2002, 04:12:03 PM
This time she did not recover so quickly. The young woman slumped to the ground shuddering in pain. She tried to stand, and failed.

-Darkness thinks it owns everything,- she sent to the spirit that posessed the Rider. -Until Light comes to set the record straight.-

"And that's me," Alera said hoarsely. Once again she stood, forced to lean against the tree trunk for support.

Light blazed to life around her hands. Though something about it was gentle, it was not the soft light of before, but bright and strong. Alera took strength from the light.

She smiled. "The smallest light can make the deepest darkness flee in fear. Simply by existing."

Still she did not draw her sword, merely standing, waiting, watching with an intensity in her eyes neither the Rider nor Exar Kun had seen there before.

The Black Rider
Oct 6th, 2002, 04:38:41 PM
The Rider was taken back and slightly aroused at her enthusiasm--afterall, he was a being who was controlled by power. All things concerning aggression and power had a great effect on him.

"Do you believe it to be true?" He called out, almost singing a threat. He let his arms rise to the sky, chanting an ancient incantation that Alera could not understand. Thunder, in the distance, seemed to roar at his own command. The clouds gathered in the air, rolling with speed and tenacity unheard of.

The clouds covered the sky and the moon, bringing the clearing to almost total darkness--except for the small light in Alera's hand.

"You see--the light, when manifested in a small form--that of a single warrior, is inneffective against the shadow of darkness."

Alera Starreyes
Oct 6th, 2002, 04:47:06 PM
Alera shuddered as the stars and moon were covered by the clouds of darkness. It's all right, she told herself by way of comfort. They're still there. But the light in her hand flickered slightly, as though the girl were weakened by the covering of the sky's light.

"But look," she said. "It isn't out, is it?" The light flickered again, this time brighter, not darker. "Where light is, darkness cannot be. Except in shadows," she allowed, "but they can do no harm to it. Just because the stars are covered doesn't mean that they aren't still shining."

The Black Rider
Oct 7th, 2002, 09:19:27 AM
Taken back by the resilience she offered and the merit of her comment, The Rider found himself searching for words...for the first time in many years. He couldn't think of a response--Alera was not daunted by his illusions as usual. She was becoming stronger and more courageous. He could only respect her for it, in the hopes that he could learn a new weakness in her character.

"You point is well made, my dear Alera," he replied. He would give her some credit for performance. "What you overlook, however, is the strength of the shadows." He called forth a dark shadowy wind to sweep trhough the clearing. It came to Alera--firm but nor attacking. The wind swept trhough her clothing and hair, dishevelling her apparel. It encircled her, blowing out the light in her hand. The Rider chuckled.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:44:27 PM
It was total darkness. Alera closed her eyes briefly. Oh yes, she thought bitterly, he was good. She felt helpless without some kind of light nearby. There was none. Instead there was only darkness.

Total darkness.

On a sudden burst of inspiration she drew Starfire from its sheath. As always, the blade glowed with a steady, silver light. The girl held the blade in both hands, the end pointed towards the sky. The light of the sword reflected in her eyes.

"Old flames can be renewed," she said quietly. "Always."

The Black Rider
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:01:54 AM
The Rider was growing tired of playing games with the girl. He could she that she would remain resilient. Sadly, she was set on converting him...rather, she would term it saving him. He wanted niether. Peace was what he sought and he found it best to be in peace in the shadows of the forest. This debate would solve little, and he found himself weary. He seemed always to be weary these days.

"You may be right. When one removes the heating element, however, it seems that light will not be created. Fire cannot ignite without oxygen." He stared into Alera's eyes, thrusting forth one of his most powerful techniques--the icy gaze of the shadow. Every part of her turned cold as his dark hood focused on her soul. "There is no breath in this lifeless body."

Alera Starreyes
Oct 9th, 2002, 03:54:13 PM
Though Alera hadn't let it show before, it was now plain that the dark and cold were starting to affect her seriously. It was almost physically painful to her. She shuddered, breathing unevenly, and had to lean against the tree again. Still she held onto Starfire, but its light had dimmed considerably.

She ignored her pain and sent to the Rider through the Force, -Please don't give up fighting him... please... Jarus.-

The Black Rider
Oct 11th, 2002, 01:10:53 AM
The name was spoken.

Jarus. Jarus...Jarus...Jarus...a long dead name now. The simple utterance of the word caused indescribable emotion in the body that was The Rider. He could not control his own emotions. He could no longer control himself.

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK OF WHICH YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND!" He cried in a voice that terrified the girl in the darkness. Power eminated from the figure as the clearing became completely devoid of light. Figures danced--shadows of pain. Alera was alone...completely and utterly alone.

"THIS NAME OF POWER SHALL NOT BE IGNORED. NOR SHALL IT BE USED LIGHTLY. REAPEATING IT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AGAIN." The darkness became violent and whooshed around her. It seemed as though it was poised to swallow her up into oblivion.

But, as soon as it had came, it had gone. The clearing took on the dim light it had--the moon shining through the clouds. The Rider crouched to the ground, breathing very heavily. It was apparent to Alera that he had lost control--something rarely seen in his activity.

"Do...you...understand?" The Rider rasped menacingly.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 11th, 2002, 06:42:29 PM
"No." Alera replied, breathing hard. As she'd expected, the name had had a tremendous effect on the Rider, greater than anything she'd said or done yet. She was a little scared, but she couldn't leave now... not when she had a chance of getting through to him. "No, I don't understand. I can't understand."

-Why shouldn't I call you by your name?-

The Black Rider
Oct 14th, 2002, 02:05:20 PM
"How right you are, foolish girl. This darkness--you can never understand its depth. It goes deeper than the ocean of ignorance that is your false 'courage,' young one." The Rider snapped at her and scoffed at his joke.

Please...it will only cause more harm to you...it causes great anger in-- The good in The Rider connected for a single second with Alera but was cut off by an different force.

"A fool disobeys his master," The Rider said aloud, as though arguing with his own thoughts. For a moment, Alera felt the safety of not being caught in the Rider's icy gaze. It's foucus seemed to be elsewhere. "If you continue this insubordinance, you will not like the conequences."

Alera Starreyes
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:03:00 PM
"You may be able to cow him, but you can't intimidate me anymore!" Alera closed her eyes, focused on something she'd never done before, something she'd never wanted to do before.

She concentrated on the darker side of herself. She hated what she was doing, and used that to feed energy to what she was doing. The air around her turned dark, a terrible blackness not found in nature. Hatred was there, pride, anger, and the lonely pain of guilt. She let all of it out in an aura of darkness that surrounded her and flowed through her very core.

"I am not so ignorant as all that." She said quietly, not opening her eyes. Her voice sounded different, though the difference was unclear. "I know what darkness is. Just because I fight it doesn't mean that I don't know its tricks, its ways, the way it threatens and lies and whispers in your ear. I KNOW YOU!" She was breathing hard, barely maintaining a state of control.

"So you might be able to push Jarus around, but not me, and I WILL stop you!" With that Alera let the aura of darkness fade and opened her eyes, seeming her normal self again apart from being slightly out of breath.

The Black Rider
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:02:13 AM
A great disturbance hit the Force as The Rider unleashed a most powerful push. The air around Alera went cold as he thrust forth violently with power. The great push flung her high into the air--roughly 20 m--where he stopped her in midflight, jerking her body as she was pulled tightly still.

"I BELIEVE YOU WERE WARNED." The Rider spoke loudly and cruely. He was impressed by her taste of the dark side. It seemed as though she was far less ignorant than he had aniticpated. This could work to his advantage, he thought. Afterall--those who have tasted the temptation know of its sweetness. If only he could make her want it again--she could become his apprentice. In these times, he needed one. Someone to pass his legacy of hate on to.

"THAT NAME IS DEAD." With little effort, The Rider flung Alera to the ground below at a blistering speed. If she was not slowed, it would surely be death.

No...stop it! I'm sorry! Stop this! Something inside the dark one cried out. Alera could hear the faint voice, but little could be done. Somewhere--lost in a shawdowy prison--Jarus tried all he could to slow her fall.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:32:43 PM
Alera felt Jarus rebelling, trying to slow her down. It was working, too, but it wasn't enough - Kun was too strong. If she landed at this speed, she was going to die.

The girl gathered her wits enough to use the Force to slow her down, but it was hard. She was pulling against Kun, and no matter how spirited she was she wasn't a match for him. But it was enough, just enough that the fall was not fatal.

Alera landed with a painful thud. The wind was knocked completely out of her. Her left wrist stung terribly - broken, she thought faintly, trying to draw air into her lungs. When she succeeded at that, she tried to stand, but pain overwhelmed her. She groaned, closing her eyes.

The Black Rider
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:04:45 PM
The Rider shrieked--both laughter at his deed and anger in the way of interference. Jarus fought the spirit inside of him and for that, Kun would make him pay.

"Well, well, well. It seems that you have lost the bravery and command I once respected out of you. Perhaps I should help you find it in yourself again." Kun spoke to the man inside. He concentrated, bringing forth images of old. Images of failure, of death, of Jarus' great loss. He smiled to himself as the images emerged in the old king's head.

As Kun did his work, the images weakened Jarus' power. He could not combat the spirit within when such heavy burdens were thrust upon his shoulders. It seemed as though his resistance was futile. As Kun put the pain into him, his spirit faded.

"Now, where were we?" The Rider spoke, turning back to Alera. He laughed out loud again.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:35:13 PM
Alera, though she was still too weak to get up, spoke through the Force to Jarus, trying to make it so that Kun could not hear (though she doubted it was possible).

-Bravery? Command? He doesn't want you to have those, he's trying to take them from you! He's crushing you. He's weakening you, and that allows him to take control. He's hurting me physically; he's hurting you far worse. And it will never stop if you keep allowing him control. Never.-

The Black Rider
Oct 26th, 2002, 07:44:12 PM
"You cannot have her!" Jarus' voice emerged in the vocal cords of The Rider. "You will not have her. I will kill us before she will die." With no warning, Jarus lifted the dual-inhabitated body into the air--high above the trees and the clearing. He had full intentions of ending his once and for all.

"You...are...a...fool..." The Rider fought against the spirit that rose inside. He pushed back, trying to lower the body. It seemed as though The Rider was now bouncing, trying hard to fight each will. His body contorted as the inner struggle intensified. He pushed, pulled, scrunched until it hurt.

"No! I will...you will obey me...the girl will live or...you have no choice, fool..." The struggle grew into a violent, distrurbing display of a torn spirit.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:35:24 AM
Alera slowly got to her feet, ignoring the pain that shot through her as a result. She leaned heavily against a tree nearby. The girl closed her eyes and sent her consciousness up toward the Rider.

-It seems you've forgotten something, Exar Kun. If you kick a dog long enough, it will eventually bite you. I think you'd best listen to him if you value your continued existence; he's obviously serious.-

Her tone was light, but inwardly she hoped Kun would agree before Jarus did something rash. He can't die while I can still do something to help him, she thought desperately.

The Black Rider
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:25:59 PM
"You still do not respect your place, girl," Kun's voice shone through as the Rider finally managed to regain control of himself. Unfortunately, it seemed as though Kun had won this particular battle.

Looking towards her, The Rider's gaze chilled her spirit. He decided it best to react to the outburst by taking this oppurtunity to attack and regroup. He unleashed a quick, but poweful, Force push while calling his steed. Alera was knocked off of her feet. The horse approached and The Rider leapt with the Force to mount it.

"These interactions, my dear, must cease. Next time, you will not be so lucky to survive." He was furious and almost foaming at the mouth. Turning the horse and pointing it to the forest, he gave it a kick, hoping to escape the clearing.

Alera Starreyes
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:28:23 PM
Alera watched him go, her eyes sad. "This isn't over," she whispered quietly. Not while I'm still here.