PDA

View Full Version : Pirate copy of TTT out on the net.

JediBoricua
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:44:06 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/rings.htm

I was a supporter of free web file sharing at first, but things have really gotten out of hand.

There is also a copy of the AOTC DVD being swapped as we speak.

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#17988

I'm no BO xpert so I ask: do you guys think that in the future this pirate activities will have a significant effect on the numbers?

(Clarification: These are links to the news, they are not links to find either movie)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:46:42 PM
Um, don't post links to pirate copies here. We'll get in trouble.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:52:52 PM
The Drudge report one is total and utter rot. TTT has NOT even been finished. I've heard that rumour before and I know its rubbish. Drudge needs a frikking belt around the head

JediBoricua
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:06:15 PM
It's not a link to the copy, just to the news.

That's what I think Marcus, we are still 4 months away from the release, and I sincerely doubt that all the work has been done, it would be impossible to have a final cut already taking in account the huge scenes that TTT will have.

Anyway, internet piracy is a really big problem for the entertainment industry.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:08:51 PM
^_^; I realize that now, sorry. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:09:40 PM
Not as big as the entertainment industry would have you believe. They're not losing money from piracy, or not a lot.

The RIAA is losing money cause they sell crap product.

JediBoricua
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:26:31 PM
And being total @sses at it. I realize that only 5% of all record releases turn in a profit, that has not changed with or without the net. And CD sales are higher every year, the RIAA are just a bunch of greedy bastards. About 90% of my downloaded music are from artists that I have not a single cd of, because I like one song or two. Net or no net, i would not have bought their cd's.

But the film industry is another deal. I mean today u can have picture quality image and better sound in your living room than in many theaters. There are a lot of ppl out there who would be willing to burn a bootleg to a VCD and watch it at home, rather than drive to a theater pay 6 or 7 bucks. They are not paying for a movie they are going to watch anyway. That I believe it's the biggest difference.

Maybe not now, but in the not so distant future this net leaks will have a big effect on the b.o. gross.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:45:13 PM
They do lose money mostly overseas, especially in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Indoasia, in all of those countries you can buy anything that has come out in theaters, sometimes even days before if they can get there hands on a print. And we are talking about good quality stuff here, not stuff you would find at a Flea Market. This is why the box office is so low in China, AOTC made 5 million there and everybody said that was great, I think the record is Harry Potter with around 8 or something, China has a population of a Billion so without the Piracy I would think HP or AOTC could gather 30-50 million from it and probably get 15 -20 from the other places in the Asian Rim.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:41:10 AM
One thing to know is that theatres are few and far between in Asian countires and EXPENSIVE, esp in comparision to what they earn. There is only a handful of theatres in China and 1.3 billion people - 1.2 billion could barely even hope to get to one. There's only about 30 odd theatres that play Hollywood stuff, I believe.

I'd say there is good reason piracy is endemic in Asia - where else will all those people view those movies? Notice that Box Office reciept in Australia or USA havent dropped off and I keep on hearing if people WANT to see a movie, they will do so in theatres, even if they can pirate.

Darth Viscera
Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:12:50 AM
TTT has NOT been released, workprint or otherwise.

AOTC, the dvdrip, has been released.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:24:47 AM
Well China has the money now to build theaters (its hard to say if the government will allow it though). Still in Singapore there are plenty of theaters and box office receits are very low because of piracy so maybe it has become a tradition in these asian countries. As far as piracy in the rest of the world, who knows, i wonder once the majority of the people in the US has high speed internet access if that will affect anything, I am sure there are plenty of people who would download some movies if they could instead of paying for it.

Darth Viscera
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:44:43 PM
Whatever the new means of mass watching of movies in China, I don't think it'll be theaters. The chinese government has pumped large amounts of cash into alternative media formats such as VCD and SVCD. SVCD was invented when the people of China wanted the quality of DVD (MPEG-2) without having to pay the MPEG-LA for the use of the DVD standard. They also financed the research of Chaoji VCD, which competed with SVCD in the research stage. Maybe China wants Hollywood to release the movies in their asian market straight to disc, who knows.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 4th, 2002, 02:30:39 AM
Well, I only Download movies which I don't want to see in theaters, and I also wait until it is out on DVD or Video First, so I can get a good online copy. Just like Iron Monkey, hehehehe, I got one with the Crappiest Translations ever, I swear, it made it 10X better!

"Wonder Palm!!!"

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:24:22 AM
Dyzm, that just means that you DLed the earlier version.

We rented Iron Monkey from Bbuster before it was in the theatres. Because its a old movie, only newly released. I haven't seen the "new" one, but I bet it has better dubs, or maybe its subbed.

The old one's dubs are really atrocious, but funny. :)