PDA

View Full Version : 70 000 Jedi in Australia

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:25:55 PM
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/aug02/209.html

This was posted at SWRoleplay. Heh, I guess it's more appropriate here.

I'm sure Marcus claimed his religion was Jedi ;)

Santhia
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:43:35 PM
:lol

awesome. I wonder if they made a church, if they would get tax exempt status :)

Salemn Lysce
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:56:18 PM
LmAo :rollin

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:17:35 PM
Like hell I did. I can't believe there are 70,000 idiots that would do such a thing here - I would add that each one of them are now liable for fines in the order of 1000 dollars for giving false info. Census information is not a joke, nor should the answering of questions on the said Census be treated as such.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:26:22 PM
But the dictionary definition of a religion is "A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion". So surely, you can put what you want. Why is aethist (Not religious) considered fine, while Jedi, Manchester United or Bruce Campbell isn't?

Thats not about the actual doing, just the fining.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:53:55 PM
There is also intent. Knowingly Filling out a census form with incorrect information is finable. Jedi is not a religion. There is a great deal more to a recognised religion than just saying this is what you believe in - there is a pre-set rules and regulations and requirements for organisation, as well as length of time. You must alos register to be recognised as a valid religion.

And why do you have to do that? Religious organisations have certain benifits, rights and recognitions, plus obligations under Australian law. One thing that cancels out Jedi is that it is clearly a work of fiction, based on a movie. Yes, I am quite sure other religions could be accused of that, but in this case, Jedi is very clearly not a religion as defined in the Australian Constitution. It does not matter what the dictionary says, if it is not a religion under Aussie law, tough luck. Under the law, Jedi is clearly not a religion.

It was pre-mediated attempt to present inncorrect info on the Australian census and no matter of stupid argument or justification is going to change that.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:59:29 PM
There is a great deal more to a recognised religion than just saying this is what you believe in - there is a pre-set rules and regulations and requirements for organisation, as well as length of time. You must alos register to be recognised as a valid religion.
So why does Aethist get allowed?

Its a hypocritical law. One person can say something and it is allowed, but another cant?

Anyway, info like that I wouldnt fill out. I dont see why it is needed, so would ignore.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:10:39 PM
In any case, ethical and moral issues aside, it's just sad.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:29:15 PM
Just think about it

The prank began early last year when "Star Wars" fans circulated an e-mail across Australia saying the government would be forced to recognize Jedi as an official religion if at least 10,000 people named it on the census.

Don't you think there would be a more 'official' way to set the religion instead of forcing everyone to do so?

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:56:52 PM
Yes, there is official ways actually. Religions in Australia are not formulated just because you say so.

Honestly Fett, it;s not bloody Hypcracy - it's a decent law enacted to stop cults and idiots like this who want to rort the tax breaks an official religion gets. Athesism simply says you dont believe and it is a valid POV. Yes, there is a registered Atheism religion and yes, they get the same breaks as well. - before passing comment on Australian laws, how about learning why they are about.

Why do religions get tax breaks and other valuable concessions from the govt? Cause the religion has an obligation and an expectation they will be a) Not for profit, b) Monies they have are used solely for the religious organisationa nd it's members and c) Religious organisations carry the burden of 30% of schools, plus 70% of all charity work like feeding and clothing homeless. So if Jedi want to set themselves up properly and abide by the laws of Australia, hey, who's stopping them?

What this was instead was a stunt and an illegal one, one that makes them look like morons.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:15:46 PM
it's a decent law enacted to stop cults and idiots like this who want to rort the tax breaks an official religion gets
"Idiots like this" werent doing it for the tax breaks.

See, here is why the rule doesnt work IMO. As I said above, a religion is basically a set of beliefs, or a cause. Now, lets say that I follow Buscemism (Yes, I made that up:)), which is a set of beliefs that I personally believe in. Hence, my religion is Buscemism. Im not looking for a tax break by putting this down. I am telling the truth. And for telling the truth, I get a hefty fine, and have people seeing me as a "moron" just because I dont pick one of the larger religions. And this is fair?

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:34:32 PM
Then say "Not Specified" or "None of the above". By specifically listing Jedi, you break the law. Jedi is NOT a religion and I might add, neither is Busemism under Australian law. Your definition does not matter if the law says otherwise. And hence, neither does your supposition.

The law defines what a religion is and there are certain other points it must pass, other than a very loose set of beliefs. I believe that scratching my a@@ is good - by your definition, that qualifies as a religion. Well, it certainly does not under law. The law is in place to stop cults and stupid fairy worshippers. Jedi is akin to bum-scratching and fairy worshipping in the eyes of the law.

Why?

Becuase Jedi is clearly from a fictional work and clearly stated by the inventor that is is a work of fiction. Now it's debateable if Islam or Wiccan or Christianity are based on fiction as well, but the point is, Jedi is clearly based on that and no attempt to say otherwise is made. Your also not allowed a cult of personality and a ereligion MUST hold certain rules and regulations and I keep pointing out, but you keep ignoring.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:45:13 PM
How can I be ignoring what I am debating about? You see, these regulations make the law, which Im saying is unfair. I dont deem that as ignoring.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:59:45 PM
Lol, Jedi is a religion. It had been considered as such even by the newspapers. Yeah I read a lot of the news and crap and Jedi IS considered as a darn religion -_- Even if IRL it sounds realy GAY

Xenodoros Stormrider
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:52:00 PM
It may be considered as people's beliefs. But it is not an 'official' religion that can be stated on a census.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:54:52 AM
Bloody aussies.....:grumble

MARCUS LOVES DRINKING FOSTERS!!!!!

Oriadin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:30:06 AM
Ooo, that'll go down well.

Helenias Evenstar
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:42:35 AM
Oh dear, someone is going to be in a lot of trouble soon.....

And I would agree. Stating Jedi on a census is a ridiculous and I might add illegal activity. Honestly, some people.....

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:57:58 AM
Like Marcus said, Jedi isn't a recognized religion within Australian law. Now if these idiots took themselves seriously which they don't seem to be doing because they are merely immitating a fictional faith then they would go to some sort of registry office and campaign for it. By encouraging 70,000 people into doing this they are merely being arrogant and giving the govrnment the finger and causing a -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-load of trouble. I hope the government fines the ass of these sheep - it would be a nice $70,000,000 in the pocket.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:08:19 AM
I dont see it as arrogant, just having fun :)

So Loki, IF they were doing this seriously, would you say it would be right for them to put it down?

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:11:14 AM
No, because it isn't the correct way of making a new, recognized religion. They have to go through an offical avenue of legalising the "Jedi" religion. What they have done is childish and has done nothing more than make it impossible to have a reasonably reliable census. I think it's right to fine them $1000 each, the problems they've caused for their government.

Salem Ave
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:16:39 AM
This happened in the UK too I think, people were trying to get it made an official religion

:lol weird.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:17:41 AM
Okay, let me try again, I worded it wrong :)

Forget this entire Jedi idea. Im saying if someone REALLY believes in THEIR religion, but their religion isn't what you would call one of the standard ones, do you think they should put it down? If you want a reliable census, you must allow people to answer truthfully. Maybe they plan on becoming official.

So basically, forget the Jedi part, Im just talking about people seriously putting their beliefs :)

This happened in the UK too I think, people were trying to get it made an official religion
More Jedi than atheists :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:20:37 AM
Same still applies. You hit the nail right on the head: "Maybe they plan on becoming official." But it isn't YET official and that makes all the difference. So until it is a recognized religion the people should just put it under "Not specified" until it becomes legalised.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:23:11 AM
But if you want a reliable census, how would that work?

Salem Ave
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:26:04 AM
So until it is a recognized religion the people should just put it under "Not specified" until it becomes legalised.

Isn't the only way it can become official if enough people put it down as there religion? o_O

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:27:05 AM
I was going to elaborate on that point in my previous post. I knew this was the question you were going to ask. :)

Well, a census is only concerned with legally recognised religions and as such doesn't require any further information until these "Not stated" religions are made legal. Because regardless, those "Jedi" religion people will now be sorted back into the "Other/Not Stated" bracket causing the census-takers a great deal of extra work which is really unfair on them.

Oriadin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:29:31 AM
If I remember correctly the email being sent round said that if 'x' amount of people put down Jedi then it would become a recognised religion. Perhaps they wanted this put down as a proper religion but they werent aware that this wasnt the way to do it. Lets face it, how many people here really know where to begin starting up a new religion?

Im nether condeming them or supporting them incidently. Just thought id mention that point.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:37:58 AM
Then when it comes to the law, one should make enquiries about how to go about starting a new religion. It wouldn't be hard to find out if you were serious about it. I think they just thought: "Oh this will be a laugh!" And now have themselves in too deep and if they were serious about it they should be fined anyway for being ignorant of what needs to be done to avoid prosecution.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:42:35 AM
Because regardless, those "Jedi" religion people will now be sorted back into the "Other/Not Stated" bracket causing the census-takers a great deal of extra work which is really unfair on them.
They said that over here, they didn't :)

Oriadin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:43:09 AM
I dont think you can fine people for being ignorant. Although I do agree that most people probably decided to put down Jedi for a laugh, which I must say is wrong. If your going to fill in the form for a laugh then there is no point.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:50:15 AM
I think the government should fine em for being ignorant of the law and what it requires of them. Regardless of whether or not they were knowledgeable that they would be fined for their actions, they caused a load of trouble for the people who have to sort out those statistics. That still stands and as such I think a good fining would be a good deterrant from idiots trying to pull a stunt like this again unless they go about it in a serious manner.

Oriadin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:54:28 AM
Yeah but if they thought they WERE going about it in a serious matter, I still think its pretty harsh.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:57:57 AM
Indeed

they caused a load of trouble for the people who have to sort out those statistics
Why? None of the above gets put awya, Jedi gets put away. That was hard :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:03:49 AM
I still think they should be fined if they thought they were going about it in a serious way - although where they would get the idea from that doing the opposite of what a census sheet instructs is the right way to go about things I'll never fathom - but naturally the fine should be substantially less.

But then the people who composed the email should be fined heavily for inticing thousands to effectively go against the law, knowledgeable of it being illegal or not. They should be willing to take it on the chin if they think they're big enough to innitiate such a big thing.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:05:58 AM
But then the people who composed the email should be fined heavily for inticing thousands to effectively go against the law, knowledgeable of it being illegal or not. They should be willing to take it on the chin if they think they're big enough to innitiate such a big thing.
That is more reasonable

Oriadin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:17:00 AM
Yeah, I agree with that too.

(Oriadin enjoys putting the world to rights!)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:41:36 PM
And to think I didn't read this thread. :p

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:43:30 PM
you have now :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:43:36 PM
*sigh* yes.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:52:57 PM
WHy sigh? :)

Arya Ravenwing
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:32:52 PM
I dunno. :) Its all resolved now, I missed out on the good arguements. :p

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:52:17 PM
Could start another if you wanted :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:37:06 PM
really!?!? :D

Oriadin
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:59:13 AM
Bet you couldnt - fighting talk.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:39:45 AM
Puts boxing gloves on LD* "Okay gurrrrrl you go out there and smack him sqaure in the eyes?..then a right, right and then a quick left hook and hes out for the count!"

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:00:24 PM
:D

Nah I hate arguments. Starting them, that is. :) I'll continue an arguement if need be. :D

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:29:43 PM
No you wouldn't! >D

ReaperFett
Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:17:01 PM
Well there's one thing Loki, YOU wouldnt!

:)

Oriadin
Sep 4th, 2002, 04:36:04 AM
Ooo, now were getting really nasty! :lol

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 05:51:36 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Well there's one thing Loki, YOU wouldnt!

:)

I know.

(Expecting me to argue, you were, hmmm, yes! :p)

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:00:06 AM
You realise you can't argue :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:50:10 AM
Yep. :p

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:47:54 AM
I win then :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:21:28 AM
Good for you. :mneh

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:25:43 AM
Indeed it is :)

Oriadin
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:36:45 AM
Told ya you couldnt pick a fight! :p

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:42:56 AM
lol :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:51:00 AM

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:52:27 AM
(Does dance of joy)

:D

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:00:31 AM
You cant dance either! :)

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:01:05 AM
*laughs thinking of what Ani would look like doing a dance of joy*

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:17:12 AM
What exactly is the dance of joy? Is it a specific dance?

The Messenger
Sep 4th, 2002, 11:06:02 AM
Chickin dance with a added twist...

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 11:09:57 AM
:x

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 11:15:19 AM
Loki, your vision went again!

What were you doing? :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 4th, 2002, 11:58:28 AM
Rank!

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:18:43 PM
lol:)

Bette Davis
Sep 5th, 2002, 01:53:40 AM
o_O You know, doing some things will make you go blind.

Like sticking hot pokers in your eyes.

Stuff like that.

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 02:35:14 AM
I wouldnt advise that.

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2002, 06:49:05 AM
From experience? :)

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 06:53:46 AM
No comment! :lol

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:24:49 AM
lol! :)

Chance
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:42:53 AM
heh heh

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:58:12 AM
ho ho

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:25:57 AM
hee hee :)

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:29:19 AM
ha ha!

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:33:53 AM
I love to laugh. HA HA HA HA! Loud and long and clear...

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:41:06 AM
I love to laugh, Ho Ho Ho Ho, It’s getting worse every year...

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 5th, 2002, 10:11:09 AM
The more I laugh, Hee hee hee, the more I fill with glee...

Oriadin
Sep 5th, 2002, 11:40:28 AM
And the more with glee, He He He He, The more I’m a merrier me!

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 5th, 2002, 12:27:24 PM
Some people laugh through their noses, sounding something like this: Ahm-ahehm-huhmahm!

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Sep 5th, 2002, 02:10:51 PM