PDA

View Full Version : College Football....

Admiral Lebron
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:09:54 AM
A postless topic...neat.

Anyways, I am throwing my chips in with UMD like always. Hopefully they'll get some good frosh.

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:23:28 PM
Man...I hate it. I had a WHOLE long thread I guess it didn't go through. :(

I don't feel like typing it all again. Suffice it to say I'm a college football nut. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:50:28 PM
I think Oklahomha will take it this year, there Defense looks awesome and it is going to be between them and Texas for one of the berths in the national title game and as I think Chris Sims sucks I have to say that OU will make another run at a championship.

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:08:21 PM
LOL...I like OU to win it all too.

BTW UT plays my alma mater UNT tommorrow. ;)

Saw UT' Horns off!!

Scrap'em Eagles!

Go Mean Green!

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:05:03 PM
You think they will repeat and get another bowl appearance? I am hoping my school, Clemson can do something this year, its so frustrating to see them keeping going 6-5 or 7-4 and going to the Peach Bowl or something like that. They play at Georgia tomorrow and I am not sure if they can win that game.

JonathanLB
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:52:12 PM
The Ducks are going to suprise everyone and ... suck.

Haha, j/k.

I think the Ducks will be good this year, but we'll see, because I doubt they finish in the top 20 somehow.

I hope my OSU Beavers are good! Grr, if they suck I'm going to be mad.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:47:52 PM
They could surprise people and have a good season, I know losing Harrington will hurt them though, they could still finish in the top 20, it depends on how strong the Pac 10 is this year.

Jedieb
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:08:22 PM
Oklahoma and Tulsa are 3-0 deep in the second quarter. Tulsa is really playing their hearts out. Oklahoma just looks like they've gotten way more than they bargained for. What a sweeeet way to start the season; a prominent national championship contender gets stunned!

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:30:51 PM
We have an excellent shot at repeating as Sunbelt Champs. We return 20 starters from last year's squad. It's gonna be between us and Middle Tennesse most likely(we're by far the class of the conference).

Saying all of that...I doubt we can beat UT...they are DEEP this year. I do expect a good game for 2-3 quarters before they wear us down.

IF we win though....Ohhhh baby....I'll prolly talk noise the rest of the season(even if we go 1-10). All the schools in Texas hate THE University(as Horn's refer to themselves). Grrrrrrrrr.

Figrin D'an
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:45:19 PM
And suddenly 3-0 becomes 24-0... oh well. :p

Oklahoma will be very good this season. Their defense is hella fast and very physical. They'll be playing a new offensive scheme this year as well than should open things up for Jason White to throw the ball downfield a lot more. It's not going to be easy to get to the Fiesta Bowl, though. The Big 12 is loaded again this year... I'm not sure anyone will get though the season unscathed. But, of the top teams in the Big 12 (Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma), the Sooners have the best chance to run the table.

I know a lot of analysts are picking the National Title game as Miami or Florida State vs. One of the 4 Big 12 powers, but I'm not convinced that things will play out that way. Miami will be good again, and will probably win the Big East, but it's so hard even get back to the title game, much less win back-to-back championships. Florida State will be back after last year's sub-par season (by FSU standards anyway), but they looked really shaky against Iowa State... the defense had a lot of problems trying to stop Senaca Wallace. The Big 12 powers will beat up on each other, and with other good teams like Iowa State and Texas Tech around, upsets are a major possibility.

This could be a great year for dark horse contenders to make a national title run. Tenessee will be solid all around, and with Florida in a transition year, this is a great chance for the Volunteers to take control of the SEC. Georgia could make some noise as well, as long as they can get over the Spurrier Curse... :rolleyes The SEC West is a lot weaker than the East. I'm not convinced that LSU is really on it's way back, despite their BCS season last year. I'd probably pick Ole Miss in the West, simply because Eli Manning is the best QB in that conference besides Rex Grossman. Virgina Tech could could shock some people in the Big East... with a healthy Lee Suggs, I wouldn't count out the possibility of them knocking off Miami.

The Big Ten and Pac-10 will both be too balanced top-to-bottom to produce a title contender. Ohio State is the best team in the Big Ten, while I would probably pick Washington in the Pac-10. At least the Rose Bowl is back to the way it should be this year.

I really think the National Title game is a crap shoot this year... I guess, MAYBE, you could say Miami and Oklahoma are the favorites, but that's really sketchy, IMO... I don't think there are any clear cut locks... The last six National Champions have been undefeated (Michigan/Nebraska, Tenessee, Florida State, Oklahoma, Miami)... I think that streak ends this year.

JMK
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:51:43 PM
I'm sticking with my Fighting Irish as I always do. Even though they haven't really played a meaningful game since '93 vs Florida State (I think).

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:55:36 PM
Nice analysis Figrin...I'd throw in Texas A&M as a darkhorse in the Big 12. Kyle Field is a REALLY intimidating place to play(I've been there I know) and they got OU and CU there this year(I think).

The SEC is always tough. The East always is Tennessee or Florida(I'd love to see another school make it). The West is much more balanced. I actually do think LSU may be back. Ole Miss might do the deed...or Auburn.

I agree with ya on the Big 10 and Pac10. Hopefully Joe Pa can make it to another bowl game...I'd love to see the man have a winning season after the last couple.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:48:56 PM
It should be interesting, still OU looks pretty good, if they get can get by Texas they will be in the Big 12 championship game, and winning that will get them in the Fiesta Bowl, as far as the other team it could be anybody, Tennessee might surprise some people like you said.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:40:40 PM
I honestly think Miami isn't as tight as they were last year. They lost a lot of Juniors to the draft. FSU, however, will be a much improved team this year. Theres an awful lot of sophomores-now Juniors that will be a lot better. I really expect this to kick in about the third game. Don't really know about the rest of everywhere else. Havent' had time to sit down in front of the tube or read the sports page.

Darth23
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:33:33 AM
FSU is in trouble.

Their opener against Iowa State (!!) was like a replay of last season. They BARELY won 38-31, and ISU was driving for a TD when time ran out - the QB MIGHT have even scored a TD that wasn't called at the end.

FSU started out great, they were running a lot more than usual, but they were up 38-7 in the first half. I think part of the problem is that because they have a history of blowing out most teams in the last ten years, anbd because some coaches have complained about them running up the score, they kind of relax when they get a huge lead. I mean if it's 31-7 before halftime, the game could easily end up 62-14. Believe it or not we really don't like doing that - unless it's agains the Gators or Miami. They were tunning and passinn easily,they got a few turnovers and at least two NEAR interceptions when ISU was trying to do something.

Anyway ISU got a few big plays a long run for a TD, a long pass for a TD, they got the ball with less than two minutes left before the half and scored, and in the 3rd quarted they had a TEN minute long scoring drive. FSU got cold while ISU kept having success.

Maybe Iowa State is still really good this year, but I suspect that FSU is still showing signs of weakness they appeared last year. Their defense couldn;t out any pressure on the QB, and te secondary is kind of suspect.

Saturday's game against Virgina will show whether or not they can get their act together this year. What they need is a killer instinct. If they're up 28-0 they need to keep scoring. Not to embarass the other team, they need to keep the pressure on so that the other team doesn't even THINK they have a chance of coming back. Otherwise they shift into neutral while the other team goes all out to make a comeback.

CMJ
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:56:30 AM
Scrap'em Eagles! Beat the Hell outta Texas!

*cough* It's gameday....how I wish I could go. I'm gonna be calling my friends back home off and on during the game to see how it's going. :)

Morgan Evanar
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:26:05 PM
I saw Miami play FAMU, which, of course, means absolutely nothing. Left about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Their 3rd/4th string needs work :D

FAMU's band is reaaaally goooood. V. Impressive show. It was actually the main reason I went to the game.

Figrin D'an
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:16:41 PM
Wow... some great games this weekend, and so early in the season. :)

First, game of the week... Washington/Michigan. Some controversy towards the end (Did Edwards really catch that ball, then fumble it? I don't know...), but Washington made some huge mental mistakes... a 12-men-on-the-field call, then a big pass interference penalty to move the Wolverines into field goal range.
Overall though, it was a very entertaining game. Michgan's run defense was solid, and both team capitalized on turnovers. Michigan gets off to great start by beating a major Pac-10 power.

Colorado... ouch. I said before the season started that the Bufs were way overrated, and this is evidence to support that claim. Granted, it is a rivarly game, and Colorado St. is usually one of the best teams in Mountain West... but if Colorado is really that good, theres no way they should have lost that one. It's early in the season, and they can turn things around, but I don't think they can hold up in a loaded Big 12 conference.

Florida St. looked better this week... the Iowa State game was a wake-up call. They now know that they can't storm out, rack up the points, then relax in the second half. Bobby Bowden won't let them underestimate an opponent again this season (well, maybe Duke...)

And Duke... the nation's longest losing streak is over! I think a lot of people felt that they would finally win one this season, but probably not until they were to play Navy later this year. There is still a question of whether or not Duke will win an ACC conference game at all though... ;)

Notre Dame pretty much hammered Maryland. Granted, the Terps were without Bruce Perry, which makes a big difference. It was interesting to watch the Irish run a spread offense and use a short passing game after years of option power football. Willingham is the right guy for the job... he's a great coach. He needs time, though, to get his own recruits into the program. A 7-win season will be a huge success for them this season. They play Purdue next week in their home opener. (My Boilermakers won, 51-10, against Illinois State. Yeah, weak opponent, but at offense looked really good... a lot better than last season. We'll see how things hold up next week in South Bend.)

LSU looked like crap against Virgina Tech. I would have picked Tech to win anyway, but damn, the Tigers looked horrible. I'm still going with Ole Miss in the SEC West.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:52:25 PM
Notre Dame did look better than I thought they be, I think 7 wins is quite possible maybe even 8, it will be interesting to see, I still think Notre Dame should join a conference maybe the Big East (making that conference a power one finally) they might not have much choice when there Tv contract runs out. Also I think the field for the National title still looks pretty wide open, I think it will be a while before we can sort out the teams.

CMJ
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:48:31 AM
My boys played well but lost to the horns 27-0(hey we BEAT the spread). Our D sacked their QB's 8 times....but our special teams gave them some big plays.

Out of their 27 points...20 were ones we "helped" them get in some way. This Saturday is our "cupcake" game hopefully...before some more HARD games.

Oh yeah...some of the other games looked entertaining(definitely fun to read about) but since I was on set all day Saturday I didn't see any.

I read about 15 articles on MY game though(in addition to getting a game breakdown from my best friend back home). ;)

Scrap'em!

Sene Unty
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:02:29 PM
MIAMI IS GOING TO WIN IT ALL!!! I am sorry but Oklahoma looked horrible in there season opener against......whatever the team was. FSU is a joke again (JUST AS IT SHOULD BE>) and the Canes will crush the gators on Saturday. UF is gonna wish they had never decided to start playing UM again. That was a mistake. The Canes are gonna get like 20 sacks on Rex Grossman because UM has such a deep Defensive Line. He will be rushed all day long.

Anyway....that is just my opinion.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:09:22 PM
Oklahomha's defense was awesome in the season opener, and there offense was pretty good 506 yards the only problem they had was turnovers 3 in the first half all inside the 20, the game should have been 17-0 at haltime maybe more (there were some drop passes by the WR) they beat the crap out of Tulsa in the second half, I think OU will be a great team as long as White plays better, and some of the young WR can hang on to some balls. Still, they will be undefeated going into the Texas game and if they beat them I predict they will be undefeated going into the Big 12 championship game, and if they win that game they will play for the national title. As far as Miami, its hard to say there first test will be this weekend against Florida, can't really tell how good they are until then (the team they beat was awful) Tenn. is another team to look out for too, IMO.

Sene Unty
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:38:05 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. You really can't judge Miami yet.....not until saturday really. However watching Oklahoma in that first half was painful. They did not play like a Champion team at all. They should have crushed Tulsa in everyway possible. If they play like that against Texas then there will be no hope for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:17:09 PM
They did crush them defensively, Tulsa hardly at all got over the 50 yard line, if it wasn't for the turnovers and dropped passes, I think the score would have 50 to 0, I do think White will have to play better than that, and I think he will, as far as Texas well, I think Sims is way overrated and he will play bad in that Oklahomha game, the only way I see OU losing to Texas is if they turn the ball over a lot, that is there only problem it seems now. Unfortuntely we won't get a good grasp on them until they play Texas they play a couple bad teams and a rebuilding Alabama before that game.

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:30:28 PM
Oklahoma will be fine. The biggest advantage they have against Texas is that Sims is still thinking about that game last season... mind games. Sims better shake that off, or the OU defense, which is even faster this year, is going to be all over him again.

I know Miami is loaded with talent, but they lost so many players to the NFL. Their DB's are unproven, which doesn't bode well going into Gainesville. If Florida's O-Line can hold long enough against Miami's front seven to give Grossman time to throw, he's going to pick apart the Hurricanes deep. If the backs and tight ends can pick up the Miami blitz packages, I look for Grossman to have a huge day. Dorsey will get his yards as well, but he might get hit a few times... no more Bryant McKinnie protecting his blind side.

Sene Unty
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:23:16 PM
I don't see Rex getting off too many deep passes. The Miami Front seven is more like the front fourteen, the backups could be awesome starters on pretty much any other team. They have alot of depth there. I think the biggest hurdle Miami will have to overcome will be the quick passes to an RB or a TE. Also, IF ( and I put emphasis on if.) Rex can get a few long bombs off, Miami may be in trouble. This isn't to say that Miami's DB's are bad....hell they might just surprise the hell out of us all. Down here in Miami I was reading the paper and they had an article about the DB's and how confident they are for Gainsvelle. This obviously doesn't mean anything...but I thought I'd share.

Sene Unty
Sep 7th, 2002, 07:31:21 PM
Lets see if I can get this straight. Miami is ranked number 1 in the country and their opponet today was #6 Florida. Despite this little fact they were the underdogs. Oklahoma is number two in the country and they play unranked Alabama. Now lets look at the scores for both games. Miami CRUSHES Florida 41-16. Oklahoma barely scrapes out a victory 37-27. Now let me think.......should Oklahoma even be considered to be in the same league as Miami.......NO!!!! That game was much to close for a team that is ranked number two in the country. Miami proved that they were the best tonight. It was a rout. Miami has so much depth and talent in every ascpect of their team......no one can compete. It is really just that simple. What happened to the DB's that were supoposed to be schooled by the more experienced WR of Florida.....they gave up no big passes. Rex was held to barely a hundred yards (something that is unheard of for him) by a defensive line that proved why they are the best in college football. And Miami's running game? They churned out close to 300 yards. This game was a joke!

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2002, 08:30:45 PM
Still its a long season and anything can happen, I think Miami will lose one probably to Tennessee who is hard to beat in Knoxville, Oklahoma could still go undefeated if they beat Texas, the rest of there schedule looks winable, also lookout from the two teams from the Big 10 Michigan and Ohio State both have played great so far and one could end up undefeated by the end of the year. So, I still think its going to be a toss up.

JMK
Sep 7th, 2002, 08:46:10 PM
That Miami-FSU game was pretty close, with Florida actually leading for about about a quarter and 8 minutes! :lol

Then the trampling ensued.

Figrin D'an
Sep 7th, 2002, 08:58:41 PM
2 games a season does not make...

Yes, Miami played fairly well today (I won't say great because Dorsey was knocked around a little and did throw three INTs). I wouldn't classify the 41-16 score as a blowout though... it was close through most of the third quarter, unlike the Rose Bowl against Nebraska... that was a blowout because of how quickly Miami put up the points on the Huskers. Florida had a few things working against them in this game as well... a young offensive line, a new offensive system... Florida probably was ranked a bit too high... I don't think that they are a solid top-ten team at the moment.

To the Hurricane's credit, the DB's played well... Taylor Jacobs didn't get behind any of them on deep routes, and they covered the inside slants and curls pretty well. They didn't help much with run stopping though... that could hurt them later on when they face better running backs.

Remember, Miami was the undisputed #1 team last year, but even they had problems on the road late in the season... it took a miracle pick and a return by Ed Reed to beat Boston College, and BC was without William Green for that game. Every good team has it's close scrapes... even the vaunted Hurricanes. They still have to play Florida State, play the Volunteers in Knoxville, and play Va. Tech at the end of the season. I doubt that they'll roll over everyone...

CMJ
Sep 7th, 2002, 09:45:15 PM
Agreed every championship squad has close calls. Miami will be no different....and that's assuming they repeat.

By the way...my UNT boys won 23-0. We're 1-1... and we got the Crimson Tide next week. Hopefully they'll be still down after that emotional loss to OU. ;)

Scrap'em Eagles!

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:13:45 PM
Yeah you can only hope ;)

JonathanLB
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:21:40 PM
I don't think the Ducks are looking that good this season so far. I mean, they are going to have a "good" year, but not compared to last year. I wouldn't be surprised with 4 losses, to be honest, maybe even 5. They'll make a bowl game, but I doubt a very good one. I think they're overrated, just because last year they were so great, now they rank them highly this year, but I don't think they are that great. They probably don't deserve to be ranked.

Still, I love the Ducks! GO DUCKS! :)

This new QB, he needs time to improve and also that defense needs to get a lot smarter if they are going to win many games this year. The game Saturday was great, they actually pulled off quite a victory, but why did they have so much trouble with an unranked Fresno State team that was MISSING its main QB and had to use a FRESHMAN?! There is definitely going to be a lot to look at on that game tape and see if they can build upon these two wins so far this season. We'll see. I'm not predicting a great season, but I hope to be surprised.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 8th, 2002, 12:19:59 AM
I didn't watch the 2nd half of the UM/UF game (UF and FSU are different schools, for JMK). The route would have come earlier, especially with that turnover that the ref's bsed the Canes on.

I'm still unconvinced, specifically for the reasons Figrin mentioned. Tennesee will be stupidly tough in Knoxville. VT... well, thats too far down the road, but if they're healthy they should do pretty well.

Now, I don't understand why people are doubting UM's secondary, which is almost always one of the best in the nation. But they aren't last years. Last year's defense scored something like a touchdown a game (which I found to be pretty obscene).

The only teams I see beating Miami are FSU, Tennesee and Virginia Tech, with a lot more weight given to Tennesee and VT.

AFAIK the BC game was played under very bad conditions for UM, and BC is always tough at home (like the Hurricanes).

Sene Unty
Sep 8th, 2002, 06:49:40 PM
*Still glowing after the beat down Miami gave those falsely ranked Gators*

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

JonathanLB
Sep 9th, 2002, 01:49:59 AM
I don't think the Gators were falsely ranked at all. I just think there is Miami... then there is everyone else. NOBODY can compete with Miami. It is like an NFL team playing in a league of college teams. It's just a far superior team.

The Gators are still good.

Sene Unty
Sep 9th, 2002, 07:40:27 AM
Okay their *cringes* good......

I'm sorry to any Gator fans out their but I have a deep loathing of anything out of that university.

I do agree with what you said about the Canes.....they truly are in a league of their own. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think this team is a tad bit better than lasts. I think the game against UF would have been closer last year.

Darth Vader
Sep 9th, 2002, 01:28:03 PM
You're talking like OU is somehow *inferior* for squeaking by UA?

Guys, UA plays everybody close...whether they are picked to win big, or not given a snowball's chance in hell. It frustrates me badly, because the only time we have decisive games is when they are important games, like ripping Miami apart in '92, Florida in '99, and last year's Iron Bowl. Truth be told, Alabama was 2 plays away from winning that game. (Santonio Beard did NOT fumble, no ifs ands or buts) And OU played well enough. Bama owned the 2nd half, and they were playing on their heels for the latter part of the 3rd quarter, but that comes from their defense being overworked. I was expecting them to go down in the polls by a notch, but I can understand why they wouldn't. A win over Alabama, even when they're unranked and under NCAA sanctions, is still a win over Alabama. We aren't a Tulsa.

(Gets liquored up, and ready for a close game with UNT @ Bryant Denney this saturday)

Roll Tide :)

CMJ
Sep 9th, 2002, 01:47:51 PM
Go Mean Green!

Scrap'em Eagles!

Vader is right...Bama always plays teams close....either way. Our starting QB Hall sat this weekend out with an injury. Hopefully he'll be back Saturday we need him.

Our Defense is currently ranked #6 in the nation. Can we say a defensive affair?

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 10th, 2002, 09:48:11 AM
Are you coming to the game CMJ??? :)

That would be cool!

JMK
Sep 10th, 2002, 10:25:42 AM
Ahem

Fighting Irish 2-0 without scoring an offensive touchdown? Behold your new collegiate champs! :lol

CMJ
Sep 10th, 2002, 12:05:30 PM
No Diego...can't afford it. I WISH I could make it. I'm looking into watching it on ESPN Gameplan though. ;)

Kyle the ND/Michigan game will tell ALOT about both teams this weekend. It should be a good one.

JMK
Sep 10th, 2002, 12:44:38 PM
I don't suspect that game will be anything near respectable if the Irish don't get some offensive TD's.

CMJ
Sep 10th, 2002, 12:48:27 PM
It's in South Bend right? The Irish have magic over Michigan at home....I've seen them beat the Wolverine's in some inexplicable ways there.

JMK
Sep 10th, 2002, 01:19:46 PM
Yeah, its a home game for the Irish. So instead of 111000 Wolverine fans, they have 80,000 Irish fans. 3-0 may not be out of reach after all. But it definetly will be a barn burner!

CMJ
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:30:18 PM
Some great games today. Some good ones still in progress.

Congrats JMK...nice win over Michigan.

My boys lost 33-7 to the Tide. We definitely deserved to lose, but I thought we played better than a 26 point defeat indicates. Some stupid penalties...and our Defense got worn down by the middle of the third quarter.

Figrin D'an
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:55:04 PM
Michigan sure didn't do much to build any confidence for their chances in the Big Ten this year... they don't have a go-to wideout, and it showed today. Notre Dame's offense looked better today, but they're still shaky...

Mixed day for the Big Ten... Michigan and Michigan State lose (that game was embarrasing for the Spartans... Cal is better than most people think, but geez... that was a pathetic defensive effort), but Ohio State and Penn State come up with big wins. The Buckeyes looked very solid yet again... easily the favorite in the Big Ten right now... and Penn State... wow... Nebraska was overrated certainly, but the Nittany Lions beat Nebraska at their own game. They demolished the Cornhuskers... Wisconsin won barely... Purdue won barely... Northwestern won the "Academic" Bowl against Duke... Illinois finally won...

USC is looking better than expected, and Colorado looks worse (although I'm not surprised... they're going to get killed in Big 12 conference play). Other Pac-10 teams looked good too... UCLA won at Oklahoma State, Oregon played well, Cal of course with the big win in East Lansing...

Miami rolls again... poor Temple.

Was Maryland a one-year wonder? It's starting to look like it...

more thoughts later...

CMJ
Sep 14th, 2002, 11:28:01 PM
It's early but this year the PAC-10 looks to be the strongest conference. USC looks TERRIFIC...they took CU out behind the woodshed. Actually pretty much every school in the conference looks solid this year.

I was really happy for Joe Pa....looks like the Lions are roaring again. Michigan is still solid...but you gotta like Ohio State(love that freshman back) to win the conference right now.

As far as the Big XII, still too early for me to say. OU and Texas both look good, but there are a few other schools(Iowa State, KSU, A&M) below the radar that could challenge. I think the Huskers are in a down year. ;)

The SEC East is starting to look like a Tennessee/Georgia battle(UF is in a funk) and the West, I'd say Auburn.

Big East...Miami....

Notre Dame looks pretty solid.

Ohhh and my boys are gonna blow the doors off of TCU this coming Saturday. ;) Two schools seperated by about 40 miles...no love lost between the Mean Green and the Frogs. :p

Figrin D'an
Sep 15th, 2002, 12:55:32 AM
I would agree that the Pac-10 appears to be the best conference top-to-bottom right now. Washington State got beaten up a little by Ohio State, but they won three other big road games this weekend. Some big road games next weekend as well.

Big 12: Agreed, the Red River Shootout will decide the winner in the South... I think Kansas State has a great shot in the North, with Colorado looking completely lost, and Nebraska being down this year.

SEC: Tenessee is the fav in the East, Georgia will challenge... I think the West is completely wide open though...

Big East: I know Miami seems to have picked up right where they left off after the Rose Bowl last season, but I think Virgina Tech could challenge them. The Hokies have a solid D, and a great running game with Suggs and Jones.

CMJ
Sep 15th, 2002, 12:59:57 AM
I don't know Figrin....A&M COULD challenge OU and UT. We'll know how strong they are when they play Virginia Tech this coming Saturday. The Aggies are hard as hell to beat in College Station..and they have the Hokies AND Sooners there this year.

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:22:42 AM
Personally I don't even think the Ducks are one of the better PAC-10 teams this year. There are just a lot of talented players and teams in the conference now.

Wow how about Cal huh?! 3-0 after 1-10 last year, my god. That's amazing. They aren't just winning but they're beating quality teams and badly too.

The Ducks looked a bit better this game, but come on, these guys they are playing are doormats. It's not even real college football, and next week they play PSU for crying out loud, that's just ridiculous. They need some real opponents, because so far they've not proven they can play with anyone. But I hope they do well...

USC is really looking good, yes, after a rough year last year. Not as good as they are normally.

The PAC-10 is very tough. I don't see really any whipping boys aside from perhaps the Arizona teams, which are not that strong again I don't think.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:36:30 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
Some great games today. Some good ones still in progress.

Congrats JMK...nice win over Michigan.

My boys lost 33-7 to the Tide. We definitely deserved to lose, but I thought we played better than a 26 point defeat indicates. Some stupid penalties...and our Defense got worn down by the middle of the third quarter.

We handed you that touchdown on a silver platter, with a glass of wine on the side! That game should've been 50-0, IMO. I dunno how many red zone turnovers we had, but oh well. We need a field goal kicker lol!

I at least wanted the big four-zero. We never get to win big over a team, and I was hoping ^_^;

Then again, we did thrash UTEP and Auburn last year, so maybe there's a trend beginning :mischief

CMJ
Sep 15th, 2002, 10:09:16 AM
Nah...I thought it was closer than the margin indicated. We helped you guys out with a TON of stupid penalties. As far as red zome turnovers..thats something our Defense specializes in. Nonetheless good game Bama.

Sene Unty
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:13:41 PM
Hot damn look at my Canes. WOOOOOOOO! We are looking good. Escpecially in the running game.

JMK
Sep 16th, 2002, 06:49:00 AM
Methinks the Irish are for real! :) I could have used that 2 point convert for the over/under though, but I won't complain.

CMJ
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:20:00 PM
I was just listening to my CD of college fight songs. I LOVE fight songs....great stuff. Not all my favorites on the CD though. :( Anyways, it got me to thinking...what are the 10 best. ;)

10. University of North Texas - Actually ours is a rather standard one, but I had to throw it on here since I'm an alumni.

9. Clemson - Great spirited fight song. Really gets your blood pumping.

8. Tennessee - Rocky Top is simply awesome when it's played in Neyland stadium with 100 thousand plus singing it. Wonderful stuff.

7. Florida State - No, not the Tomahawk chop song. The ACTUAL fight song they have is really fast paced and just makes you wanna clap with it.

6. UCLA - Sons of Westwood....Great crescendo's in this one. Very effective.

5. USC - Sounds like a song that might fit back in during the Trojan war, and it REALLY works as a fight song too. This was the one that got me hooked on fight songs when I was like 6 and watched them play like California.

4. Oklahoma - Boomer Sooner is a very simple, yet extraordinarilly catchy fight song. It alway brings a smile to my face when I hear it.

3. Notre Dame - No doubt the winner on most people's lists. It is a wonderful fiece...and screams "College Fight Song" yet there are two I put slightly ahead.

2. Texas A&M - AWESOME! Great military style fight song...very fitting of that institutuion. The Aggie War Hymn was incredible if you're ever lucky enough to see a game at Kyle Field. They play it between the end of the 3rd quarter and the beginning of the 4th. The ENTIRE crowd sings the words to it(an experience I've never seen in another stadium). Near the end they put there arms around each other and sway back and forth...simply unreal. I was slack jawed the first time I went down there to watch UNT play them.

1. Michingan - The Victors...what can be said? It almost feels like a John Phillip Sousa march at the beginning and then it descends into the most toe tapping fight song yet written. Watching on TV with 111 thousand Michigan fans singing along and pumping their fists everytime they go "Hail to the Victors Valient/Hail to the Conquering hero's/Hail, Hail to Michigan the Champions if the West" gives me goosebumps. :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:39:12 PM
Just a little fun piece of trivia...

What is the most widely played/used collegiate fight song (combined collegiate events, TV, adopted by high schools, etc.)?

Some of you may be surprised by the answer... I'll wait for a few guesses though...

I personally think that the Big Ten has, overall, the best fight songs around... some people may dismiss that as a personal bias, given my collegiate background... I will say, however, that being in a college band, I've played/listened critically to a LOT of fight songs... so, I have an ear for that kind of thing...

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2002, 04:07:16 AM
I'd guess Notre Dame....

The Big 10 has some great fight songs(hell Michigan's topped my list) but some I'm just not a big fan of. I'd say the SEC has the best top to bottom.

There are some great fight songs in every conference though.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:33:08 AM
"Yea Alabama" shoud make the list, simply because it sounds unique from all other fight songs, sans Michigan, Notre Dame, and Tennessee.

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:56:39 AM
Other than the opening drumroll of "Yea Alabama"(which I dig) it does nothing for me. Personally it's a rather average fight song.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:14:53 PM
Blasphemy!

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:28:24 PM
My opinion...but I'm quite a follower of Fight Songs. Anyone who has a CD with over 30 of them is a bit off kilter. ;)

Sene Unty
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:37:52 PM
Actually I think its pretty cool....where did you get them all??

Figrin D'an
Sep 20th, 2002, 03:54:05 PM
Michigan State has a very cool fight song, IMO.

Michigan's "The Victors" is a classic.

"Across the Field" (Ohio State's fight song) is solid, especially considering the quality of The Ohio State Marching Band. (BTW... greatest college football tradition ever, IMO, is the playing of Carmen Ohio, the Script Ohio, and the dotting of the "i".)

"Hail Purdue", my personal favorite for obvious reasons, is unique and powerful.

And, another of the best, and the most played collegiate fight song, belongs to another member of the Big Ten...

"On Wisconsin"

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:29:06 PM
Well the national title picture really didn't get any clearer. First off the surprise of the day Florida beat Tennessee. This shocked me, Florida looked terrible in the first 3 games and Tennessee looked great, well now I think neither team has any national title hopes, I also think the SEC doesn't look that good this year Georgia to me is overrated, SC and Clemson both cold have beaten them and neither one is that great. Also the Second big surprise is Ohio State they barely beat Cincinnatti, now they were without there best player Clarett and I think they would have won by a wider margen, I also think they took Cincinnatti too lightly, still they better play better than that against Penn State who looked awesome today beating up La Tech pretty bad. Finally Notre Dame is also now a contender beating Michigan State in Michigan State. Va Tech also looked pretty good beating Texas A&M. So for the moment I think its up for grabs still, maybe it will get a little clearer when Texas and Oklahoma play.

Figrin D'an
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:53:50 PM
I wasn't shocked by the Florida-Tennessee score. So many people wrote off the Gators after they lost to a superior Miami team, then had a slow start against Ohio. People forget, they're still Florida... they still have a load of talent. The Gators had a serious chip on their shoulder going into Knoxville, not only because of the criticisms leveled at Zook and Grossman the past two weeks, but also because they lost to the Vols last year in The Swamp. Combine that with a Tennessee team that seemed a bit overconfident going into the game, and it was an upset waiting to happen. The Vols felt they were going to run the ball down Florida's throat, then go to air and get a few big plays from Kelly Washington. Credit Florida's run defense... they played very well in pretty poor conditions, and credit Rex Grossman... even though he got hit quite a bit again today, his passes were laser accurate and his timing was on, allowing his receivers to make plays.

Notre Dame played well, but they got a couple of lucky breaks too. They may win most of their remaining games, but they aren't a legit title contender. Their offense isn't consistent enough.

Ohio State had the scare against Cincinati, but I'm not putting a lot of stock into it... mainly because in the first half, Tressel intentionally game-planned for more passing plays, to give Krenzel a good test... throw in some uncharacteristic turnovers, and things didn't go the Buckeyes way in the first half. But, they rebounded, ran the football, played solid defense, and pulled out the win. Not the way they would like to have won, I'm sure, but it's still a win. They'll be ready for the conference opener, and I still think they're the team to beat in the Big Ten. Penn State has looked great too, and if the Buckeyes slip up, the Nittany Lions will be right there to take advantage. The darkhorse contender is Wisconsin... with a solid win over Arizona, they looked much better than the previous week against Northern Illinois. Everyone else in the Big Ten has serious questions or serious problems... even Michigan, who almost blew it against Utah today.

Virginia Tech is looking better and better, IMO. To get a win at Kyle Field is pretty impressive. The Aggies still didn't allow a 100-yard rusher, but Suggs and Jones did what they had to, and they got a couple of big plays out of the passing game to come away with a victory. Miami is still king of the Big East, but Virginia Tech has a great shot at challenging them.

The Hurricanes are still the team the beat... they have to play Florida State and Va. Tech yet, but they're the only 100% legit title contender at the moment. In a couple weeks, we might see a couple of others emerge... but, I agree that the picture is quite clouded at the moment.

CMJ
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:53:59 AM
First off my boys lost 16-10....*sigh* Now on to other news.

Florida beating Tennessee wasn't a shocker, but the domination was.

Uhhh Notre Dame just finds ways to win...if they are 7-0 going into the FSU game, oohh baby. They are reminding me of Notre Dame from my youth now.

The PAC-10 lost alot of what they had built up over the previous weeks.

The conference with the their stock up is the Big XII.

The 2 best teams in the nation(IMHO) are in the Big East. Miami vs. Virginia Tech is gonna be a great game.

JonathanLB
Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:56:46 AM
What did the PAC 10 lose? You mean California? Arizona and California lost every game they played, but Oregon and Washington (4 teams) won every game they played.

I just think the Cali teams were overrated, and everyone already knew that Arizona always sucks.

Umm, as for the PAC-10, the Ducks are way overrated, LOL, beating up on crappy little teams and ranked 9th, haha, what a joke. I love my Ducks, but come on, this is ridiculous. They are not one of the 10 best teams in the nation so far, they haven't proved that at all.

Now there is a grave misranking here, though, when Oregon State slaughters Fresno St. 59-19 and they still are not ranked. This should change. Oregon State is GODDAMN good this year, and I think people are going to see that very soon. Make no mistake, one disappointing year last year doesn't make a bad football team, and these guys are good this year.

I would pick OSU over UCLA or USC, and not just because I'm an OSU student, hehe, since I prefer my Ducks anyway. Seriously OSU does look good, because Fresno barely lost to the Ducks, who are ranked far higher, and they don't seem THAT bad, but they have lost 3 out of 4 games, mostly versus what I feel are very good teams.

I think the National Championship "picture" is quite clear. Miami is by far the greatest team ever to play college football last year, and this year, and there is no college team that could even hope to come within a touchdown of beating them. They will not lose a game, and they will win the National Championship again, because I'd put my money on Miami beating the Detroit Lions NFL team, lol, they are way too good. Florida just went out and proved, hey, we're a good football team too, but did that show vs. Miami? No, and would you notice what a good football team the Lions are if they play, I dunno, the Niners or something? Probably not, but they're still an NFL team, and basically, so is Miami ;)

Nah I don't really think Miami would beat Detroit, but it'd be a heck of a game, and I do believe Miami cannot lose vs. wimpy college teams. Those guys are... not normal. :D

CMJ
Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:03:39 AM
Losses the Pac-10 had....

USC
California
Arizona
UCLA

The Cal loss was a bad loss...especially after demolishing the Spartans last weekend. Can't say much about the AZ game, Wisconson looked good.

UCLA was a bad loss. Colorado was taken out behind the woodshed last week...AT HOME. Actually they just hadn't looked good all year(they were 1-2). Then they beat the Bruins...on the road.

Southern California had a "good" loss, BUT they were thinking National Title. KSU was an unproven quantity as they hadn't played anyone so far. USC was favored.... Not a bad loss, but a disappointing on for the conference.

Sene Unty
Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:38:22 AM
Ahhhh. I love praise for Miami. I think they would crush Detroit by the way, they practice, train, and play like professionals. Hell, even ex-Miami Hurricane players that are in the NFL come back down here to train in the heat and with the Canes. Michael Irvin did it all the time when he was with Dallas. :D

CMJ
Sep 27th, 2002, 10:32:45 AM
My beloved Mean Green Eagles play AZ Saturday...and I will be in attendance. I'm about to leave right now actually. It'll be good to have a 3 day vacation. ;)

Scrap'em Eagles!
Go Mean Green!

JMK
Sep 27th, 2002, 11:07:07 AM
Have a great time dude!

Sene Unty
Sep 27th, 2002, 11:54:41 AM
anyone see FSU lose to Louisville last night....funny stuff

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2002, 03:30:52 PM
I saw the highlights, Florida State National Title hopes have been crushed, and they should easily fall out of the top 10. I just hope my Clemson Tigers can beat them down there in two weeks (I really don't think we will though). Also the National Title picture is not clear Miami isn't guarenteed anything and they still have a tough schedule, they have to play Florida St, at Tennessee and at Virginia Tech (who looks very good) I personally think they will lose one of those games. Also there are teams that could beat them Oklahoma whose defense still looks awesome, Texas has a good team as well, and there is Ohio State who may have the best RB in the country. I still think it will be a wild ride, and wish there was a 8 team playoff because its a shame that if you lose one game you have no chance.

Figrin D'an
Sep 27th, 2002, 04:25:47 PM
I'm not going to count out any 1-loss teams yet, because I am not convinced that there will be two undefeated teams at the end of the season. Parity is very much rampant in college football this year. All of the major conferences have the same problem... there is no single team that stands out clearly amongst it's peers. Sure, the Big 12 maybe the best overall conference, but look at the teams and how they match up... Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State, Colorado at the top, with very good squads at Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Iowa State, among others... The Big Ten, which hasn't performed well in non-conference play, is being called weak, but look at the matchups yet again... Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin look the best, but you can't count out Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois and Iowa. Even in the Big East, with Miami trying to defend the title, nothing is assured. Miami and Virginia Tech are both playing quite well on a national comparison, but they have to play each other at the end of the season...

Losing a game early in the season hurts far less in the long run than losing a game late... if a 1-loss team, like Florida, Tennessee or Florida State can run the table on the season, they have a great chance at getting to Tempe... because there will be more upsets and big matchups yet this year... that is a guarantee..

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2002, 08:16:33 PM
True though I was elminating Florida State more becuase I think they will lose one more game at least, I don't think they will win ever one since they have to play Clemson, at NC State, at Miami, and Florida, if they can win all four of those game I will be shocked, especially losing to Louisville who isn't even ranked. Florida maybe, Tennessee would need Florida to lose probably twice since Florida now has the tie braker. As far as undefeated teams, personally I am hoping no team goes undefeated that way the argument for a playoff system will get better. If there isn't an undefeated team that how can you argue who should play in the title game?

Darth23
Sep 28th, 2002, 01:10:15 PM
If FSU could manage to beat NC State, Clemson, Florida, Notre Dame AND Miami then I think they'd be in it at the end of the year.

Not that I thik that's likely.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 28th, 2002, 06:03:45 PM
If Florida State can do that, that will be some recovery. Well Penn State hopes at a national title were hurt, they lost to Iowa. Also I think Nebraska should no longer be in the top 25 after getting killed by Iowa State.

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:06:44 AM
Man NT DOMINATED Arizona, but the wildcats got a few breaks and won 14-9. *sigh*

GREAT game though...and they have a beautiful stadium there.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2002, 02:43:38 PM
Your team does seem willing to play the bigger schools I have to say that, and you guys came close to beating Arizona. Just curious what division is your team in?

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 08:25:51 PM
I'm 45 minutes out of Blacksburg and I'm not a bit surprised by what VA Tech has done. The Hokies are a young team, but as solid on defense as any team in the country. Plus, they play some of the best special teams in the country, year in, year out. It's going to be tough, but I think they have a great shot at heading down to Miami later this year with an undefeated record. That would be an AWESOME game. They've got some tough road games (BC this week) and some tough rivals to play (West Virginia & Virginia) but I think they're still going to be a top 10 team by year's end. The Untouchables are a great pair of running backs and the heart of the offense. Their strength is also their weakness. They rely so much on the running game that I don't think they can match the firepower of Miami if the game were to get into the 20's or 30's.

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:43:05 PM
Carr, we're in 1-A...same division as all of the "big" schools like LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, etc... We're just a Mid-major(I hate that term)because we're in the Sunbelt...not in one of the "power" conferences.

This weekend UNT takes on Jedieb's alma mater the South Florida Bulls. Let the trash talking commence. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:50:12 PM
Lol this should be interesting.

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:52:21 PM
So the week where I make you my BIAAATCCCHHH has come upon us already? Why don't you just give up now and submit yourself to whatever bet I throw down if front of you? I'm thinking we've got to have some kind of signature bet. How about the loser has to insert a picture of the winner's school logo into their sig for the rest of the season? How about it big boy? Or are you chicken Col. Sanders?:evil

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:55:11 PM
You're on....

You'll need to post the text of my alma mater on your signature WHEN we win. :p

A link to the actual music wouldn't be bad either. ;)

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:04:32 PM
So what time is the game? I've got to see if I can find it on radio or over the net maybe. I just wonder if you'll be crying in your beer again for a SECOND year in a row or will you find the courage to take defeat like a man. Last week's stomping should have given you plently of practice. BTW, how sadly are my Bulls playing, I've got NO idea what we're doing? o_O

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:07:37 PM
The USF Bulls are 2-2 and just got off a tough game with #2 Oklahoma. We put up a decent fight and some nice stats, but the Sooners were just too much. After a powerhouse like that, how much of a challenge can a bunch of Eaglets pose? Just how big a photo do you want in your sig CMJ?

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:10:55 PM
Jedieb, USF is 2-2 this season. Your two W''s came against nobody school's and your two losses came against Oklahoma and Arkansas(no shame in that).

Gametime...uhhh lemme get back to you on that. I do know the game is being televised on ESPN Plus...so I may look into paying the 15 buck or whatever to see my boys.

I was just kidding about the alma mater. ;) But I do agree to the bet. I will put the damn Bull logo on my signature or SOMETHING to that effect if you win.
Of course I'm confident that will not happen.

*cough* Scrap'em Eagles! Go Mean Green! *cough*

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:11:56 PM
10/5 Sat USF at North Texas 7:05 PM CDT
Without exaggeration, this is the ONLY college football game in the nation of any real significance this weekend. I mean, is any other game even worth watching this weekend?

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:13:58 PM
Jedieb, seriously I don't care WHO is playing when UNT plays. I either listen online...watch the scoreboard...or watch the game live(or on TV) I honestly could care less about the National title hunt for the 3 hours the Mean Green are playing.

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:18:45 PM
Where do you listen online? I'd love to hear the game because the chances of my seeing it on TV are slimmer than your Eaglets' chances of winning.

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:22:37 PM
Goto yahoo Jedieb...you can listen to just about every game in the nation. They usually have either 1 or the other school's "home" brroadcast team...and many times they have both available to listen to.

Top 17 BULL lines. ;)

1. BULLs should be seen and not herd.
2. An austere BULL has no steak in it's future.
3. A bit of history : "The herd shot 'round the world'.
4. The kind of watch a BULL would own : BULLova.
5. A sleeping BULL: BULLdozer.
6. What a BULL would order for lunch: BULLoney w/mustard on rye.
7. BULLs eat their dinner at the taBULL.
8. When a BULL feels sick it feels terriBULL.
9. If a BULL bought a motorcycle it would buy a KOWasaki.
10. A college bound BULL might go to OXford University.
11. BULLs breath OXygen.
12. A BULL who eats another BULL is a canniBULL.
13. A kingly BULL: noBULL.
14. An irate BULL would be asked "whats your beef".
15. His answer would be "USDA choice, Grade A".
16. If a BULL fell down on his rump, he'd have sore butt-OX.
17. What do you call a masturbating BULL ?
a: beef strokinoff.

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:27:11 PM
Sleep time for this bull. I've got to rest up for Saturday's thrashing. Sleep tight you little Mean Green Eaglet. :zzz

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2002, 10:29:24 PM
Yeah get your rest before we knock you on your butt. ;)

BTW...I KNOW you love my new signature. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:42:21 AM
Trash talking got a love it :) Curious to see how the rest of this week goes.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2002, 06:17:17 PM
Well a wild day in college football, a lot of close games. First the Red River Classic, Simms still can't beat Oklahoma. OU's defense was amazing in that game, especially considering the fact that Hybel threw 4 INT's through 3 quarters and Texas could only manage 17 points. Also have to give a lot to Quentin Griffin the man was amazing 248 yards and 2 TD's. The other games you had Fla State choking again to Miami wide left this time, I guess Florida state's national title hopes are pretty much finished. Georgia was impressive beating Tennessee, still that Florida game in November will be huge, they haven't beaten Florida in forever. In other games Oregon won a tight game over UCLA to keep their national title hopes alive. And there was an exciting game in Michgan as Michgan beat Penn St. in OT. So far a pretty good weekend for College Football.

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:54:17 PM
Those were some pretty good games today. Although the weekend didn't live up to last week's epic battle between USF and UNT, it wasn't a total wash. ;)

That Miami game was something else. I thought the Canes were done, but Dorsey rallied the troops and brought them back with those 2 4th quarter TD's. When FSU set up for that FG I just they'd choke it AGAIN. Wide Right 3, Wide Left 1, how humiliating. Some may think my Bulls at USF are FSU spelled sideways, but at least we don't KICK sideways. >D

I think that game did chip away at the aura of invincibility Miami had developed. FSU ran all over them. If things hold up, VA Tech may have a much better chance against Miami then people first thought when they face off in Dec. The Hokies love to run and their combination of Suggs and Jones just might be able to duplicate what FSU did today. But VA Tech has some hurdles to get through, Syracuse on the road, and traditionally tough rivals at home; West Virginia and Virginia. Virginia could be lethal because they play them the week before Miami. If they start to look past that game they could get suprised by the Cavaliers. Man, these next few weeks are going to be great!

Darth23
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:42:42 AM
Some may think my Bulls at USF are FSU spelled sideways, but at least we don't KICK sideways

You don't play the Gators and the Hurricanes every year either.

:p

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2002, 08:06:54 AM
It was a great day from what I was able to see. :) I was on set all day, but the sound guy had a portable TV we watched sports on when we had the chance. I'll have to fully catch up tommorrow when ESPN re-airs the College football scoreboard show.

Time to go back to work.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 19th, 2002, 03:23:54 PM
Anybody see the Oklahoma score? OU is beating Iowa State 35-0 (this is team that is ranked 9th and 13th respectably) and not only that Iowa State had -5 yards in the first half. That is some amazing defense especially since they have shut down the possible heisman winner Seneca Wallace. They have conviciened me that easily could be playing for the national title.

Jedieb
Oct 19th, 2002, 04:48:48 PM
What time is the Notre Dame game? That should be a pretty good game. Can they stop the option? Will the defense score? Can the Notre Dame offense put up enough points?

CMJ
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:13:52 PM
It's at 10 EST Jedieb....

A much more important game in on now...go Eagles!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:47:57 PM
OU won there game 49-3 that is a huge shock really. Most people thought that game would be close and maybe Iowa State would pull off the upset instead OU holds them to 60 yards. And Seneca Wallace has his worst game of the year. To me this shows how good Oklahoma is and they will be a team that can win the whole thing. Also there will now be 7 undefeated teams after today (either Air Force or Notre Dame will lose) Oregon got beat in a wild game by Arizona State. Ohio State pulled out a close one against Wisconsin and NC State nearly got beat by Duke (how they heck did that almost happen). Have to say this is another wild weekend. Have to think the ND-Air Force game will be great.

CMJ
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:15:29 PM
We WON!!!!!! :D

UNT 13
Arkansas State 10

Scrap'em Eagles!

Go Mean Green!

Jedieb
Oct 20th, 2002, 09:48:51 AM
Go Eagles!!:thumbup

ND really dominated that game. AF kept it close with some great defensive plays, and ND turnovers and special teams gaffes(missed FG's). They've got Florida State next week. Everyone keeps waiting for them to fall on their face. Even if they do lose next week, ND has a lot to be proud. No one expected them to get this far.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:51:16 PM
Notre Dame is a very good team and they will go to a major bowl regardless of what happens. I am glad they are back to playing well, it was awful seeing one of the great teams stinking as bad as they did, of course they had an idiot for a coach. They picked the perfect person to coach this team.

Okay now that we have reached the stretch run, these are the undefeates

Miami
Oklahoma
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Georgia
Notre Dame
NC State

Of those 6 I doubt NC State will be playing for the title, I just don't see them going undefeated especialy barely beating Duke, plus they still have to play at Clemson next weekend (the game is sure to be close as the last 6 games in the series have been wild) and Florida State, who I am sure will want revenge for last year. Also there are a couple 1 lose teams, Michigan and Texas who still have a chance. Texas though would need OU to lose twice since they have already lost to them and I don't think they will go to the title game without going to the Big12 game. Michigan who knows.
Of the undefeates I am favoring Oklahoma, there defense looked amazing in the last two games, shutting down Texas and then beating up the front runner (though that may have changed now) for the Heisman. If there defense keeps playing like this I am not sure if anybody can beat them. They also have a very good running game, Griffin is a very good back, he reminds me of Priest Holmes in some ways. Now as far as going undefeated they have to play Colorado next weekend (its a home game), at Texas A&M after that (that is there hardest game left, IMO), Baylor, Texas Tech and at Oklahoma State (considering what happened last year, I think the Sooners will be playing them really hard), then the Big 12 Title game against who knows who at this point (the Big 12 North is a mess it will probably be between Colorado and Kansas State.)

The other teams Ohio State still has to play Penn sTate (this coming weekend) and then Michigan, if Ohio State loses to Michgan again with the national title on the line the fans will be furious. Miami and Va Tech main game is against each other that will decide that. Miami only has to worry about Tennesse, and they haven't looked too good lately. Va Tech needs to worry about Virginia that will be a close game. Georgia has to worry about Florida really, they haven't won that game in years and Florida will be up to play them, and they have the Title game and will probably play LSU, who does look pretty good. Finally Notre Dame has two tough games left at Florida State (which won't be easy) and USC (that is always a close one) so it should be interesting down the stretch, though right now I give the edge to Oklahoma and the winner of the Big East (whoever that may be).

CMJ
Oct 20th, 2002, 01:02:42 PM
Pretty solid analysis Carr....

Oh and UNT now has the 14th ranked defense in the NATION. It's not like we haven't had some heavy weights on our schedule either....

If our O wasn't 117th(dead last for 1-A) in the nation, we'd be one of the better "mid-major" schools out there. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:02:43 PM
Well Notre Dame has proven they are a great team, they really dominated Florida State, though the score doesn't show it (Florida State scored 14 meaningless points at the end of the game). Now can ND go undefeated? I think so USC is the team to worry about now, they have BC next weekend at home (should beat them). Two easy games Navy and Rutgers, and then at USC. USC could present them with some problems but they can beat them.
Now the question is how this will affect the national title race. Here are the BCS standings, in case nobody saw them yet,

1 Oklahoma 3.92
2 Miami (Fla.) 6.41
3 Notre Dame 7.07
4 Virginia Tech 8.63
5 Georgia 8.69
6 Ohio State 8.89
7 Washington St. 19.44
8 Michigan 19.83
9 LSU 20.71
10 Texas 21.37
Here is the link to the see how they calculate these numbers
http://espn.go.com/abcsports/bcs/rankings_full/index.html

Notre Dame could pass Miami and get to #2, mainly because Notre Dame should go up in both polls even if Georgia and Ohio State wins, I think they will jump over both teams and go to #4 which should be enough to let them pass Miami. Michigan and LSU both will leave this list since they lost today and NC State and Iowa should join it. Personally right now I think the title game will be Notre Dame vs Oklahoma because I feel those are the best two teams. Though really a playoff will be great here because its very possible that we could have 6 undefeated teams (Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Miami/VA Tech, Georgia, Ohio State, and NC State) I actually hope that happen so it will mess up the BCS even more.

CMJ
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:11:31 PM
The Golden Domers look great...

Don't bet on 6 undefeated squads Carr. I don't think OSU will beat Jo e Pa and the Lions today....and Georgia has few testes remaining. I expect NC State to lose to the Noles as well.

Of course at this point whoever wins the VA Tech/Miami game will probably be in the National Title game. Oklahoma will rpobably run the tabel too(though they have acouple of big tests left).

I can definitely sxee 3 deserving teams positioning for the Fiesta.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:15:21 PM
I wouldn't say I think all 6 will go undefeated, I was hoping that would happen to mess up the BCS. I think Ohio State will win today, what I bet will happen is that they will get beat by Michigan it always seem to happen to them. Georgia has to play Florida which won't be easy. NC State well, I think they will beat Florida State but I still don't think that will help them get into the title game a 1 loss team would still get into it before them. Also the way the BCS goes if ND goes undefeated they will be there and Miami could be ranked #1 in both polls and not get in because of the BCS formula.

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2002, 03:53:32 PM
It pains me greatly to say this, but Notre Dame might be the most hard-nosed, tough, and fundamentally sound football team in the nation right now. USC will be a challenge, but if they win that game, I don't see how ND could not end up in the Fiesta Bowl. They'll have the record, the quality wins... their BCS ranking will drop a little in the coming weeks with the weaker competition, but not enough to really hurt them. The trick now is for Ty Willingham to keep his team on their toes, and not allow them to play down to their competition the next three games.

Miami has to improve their run defense, or Virgina Tech is going to destroy them up front at the end of the season. I know Miami is supremely confident in the talent and depth they have on the defensive line, but their scheme has gotten exposed badly on the ground the last two games. They can't afford to play man cover-2 defense all the time anymore... they need to mix up the coverages and start bringing the strong safety up for run assist. If WVU could rack up that many rushing yards, just imagine what Suggs and Jones could do...

Ohio State has to be careful... they cannot afford a conference loss if they want to stay in Rose Bowl contention, much less for the national title. Iowa crushed Michigan at the Big House today, and with an easier schedule the rest of the way for the Hawkeyes, they could win the Big Ten and be headed for Pasadena. The Buckeyes are in a battle with Penn State right now...

NC State is going to lose at least once... so will Georgia, IMO... they're are just too many land-mines to avoid in the SEC. Everyone says this is the Bulldogs year to beat Florida... I will not be surprised if the Gators take them out yet again. The pundits said the Vols would take out Florida, and everyone saw what happened there.

I really see the Fiesta Bowl coming down to three possible teams: Oklahoma, the winner of Miami/Virgina Tech, and Notre Dame. The question is... if say Oklahoma, Miami and Notre Dame are all undefeated at the end of the season, who gets left out of the big dance?

JMK
Oct 26th, 2002, 06:05:58 PM
It pains me greatly to say this, but Notre Dame might be the most hard-nosed, tough, and fundamentally sound football team in the nation right now.

Ahhh music to my ears!
What a surprise they have been! Should they go undefeated, they're going to pass Miami in the BCS just because of Florida State. :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2002, 10:04:08 PM
I think they will too, JMK. Also Miami could also get upset against Tennessee, if they aren't careful, Tennessee can still be dangerous. As far as the Fiesta Bowl goes the only team I am certain about is Oklahoma, if they win the rest of the way they will be there, if VA Tech and Notre Dame are both undefeated Notre Dame will be there, the question is Miami. I really think it is close between the two, the main two differences is that Miami's strength of schedule is low (27) and the computers aren't friendly to them (3 of the computer polls have them ranked 6th) Notre Dame on the other hand is ranked 1st in strength of schedule and the computer polls are more friendly to them (1st in several of them), so I think it is possible that if ND and Miami are both undefeated and Oklahomia is undefeated that Miami will get left out, if that happens then there could be a split national title if Miami is still #1 in AP poll at the time, this could cause a huge controversity (which I hope happens, I hate the BCS).

JMK
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:26:20 AM
Yeah, just the mere chance that this could happen makes the BCS dumb!

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2002, 04:05:09 PM
<font size=40>ROLL TIDE!!!</font>

<font size=5>To Hell with Rocky Top!</font>

CMJ
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:34:41 PM
NT won again on Saturday as well....:)b

jjwr
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:23:11 AM
Sadly the only even remotely important thing about the college season is when its done and we find out which players are going to the NFL. The schools, conferences, networks and the bowls are holding the whole thing back by not doing a actual playoff and instead they rely on the BCS, rankings and a really lame bowl system.

Keep the bowls, take the top 16 teams and do a playoffs in the bowls, that way you still get all your $$$ and get a real champion each year and some actual credibility.

CMJ
Oct 28th, 2002, 10:13:05 AM
Eh, I prefer college ball to pro ball by a significant margin. I am "remotely" interested in the NFL but passionate about the kids in school. :p

Jackson DeWitt
Oct 28th, 2002, 11:13:50 AM
I love college football, and I can hardly care less about pro ball.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:10:49 PM
I actually like both equally, but I do want to see a playoff system the whole BCS thing still stinks, I say let the best 8 teams fight it out and use the bowls as the games. I am hoping that there are more than 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year (there are 7 right now) and that will cause a controversy that will hopefully change the system in a few years.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:36:49 PM
Well I guess Notre Dame's championships hopes have been greatly hurt losing to BC 14-7. Miami suffered a scare, they were behind Rutgers 3 quarters and then Rutgers fell apart in the 4th quarter. Oklahoma is currently dominating Colorado and with that I think OU will gain a lot of first place votes and could even pass Miami in one of the two polls, defintely there lead in the BCS will get larger since they beat a top 20 team and Miami beat a team with one win. To me OU is the best team and will be playing in the title game. Really there only hard game left is Oklahoma State, Texas A&M doesn't look tough now and Texas Tech and Baylor should be easy wins. Oklahoma State is their rival but they should be up for that game considering what happened last year. Miami I think will go down if they don't play better, if they play like they did against Rutgers they will lose to Tennessee or Va Tech.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:45:24 PM
The Unbeatens might be down to four the way things are going. NC State loss to Ga Tech, Georgia is losing to Florida in the 4th, and Pitt just went ahead of Va Tech. If those teams lose then we only have four teams left unbeaten and really Bowling Green doesn't count. Heck Notre Dame can still make it if they win out, all they need is two of the three to lose and they are there, heck it is now possible that the last three unbeatens could lose, OU has to play Colorado again and that could be there hardest game. Miami still has to travel to Tennessee and Va Tech, neither will be easy. Ohio State has Michigan and we all know the history there. This is just getting too crazy, last week it looked the unbeatens were unbeatable now they are going down incredibly fast.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:16:40 PM
Then there were Four, Va Tech and Georgia both lost so now there only four teams left and three of those have national title hopes, man this is getting wild, anybody want to bet another of the three teams will go down?

Figrin D'an
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:32:46 PM
And no one believed me when I said that Florida would be ready for that game and would give Georgia problems... (not around here, just some other people I know... :) )

I don't think there is any question that Oklahoma is the best team right now. They are playing like a #1 team. Miami, once again, just went through the motions for 3 quarters, and it nearly cost them... against RUTGERS! :lol

Admittedly, Notre Dame got robbed in that game against BC. They had a touchdown discounted because of a bad call by an official that had a bad angle on the play. It should have gone to OT, tied at 14. Notre Dame did play really badly (5 turnovers will kill just about anyone), but that's a tough way to lose a game.

NC State was exposed today... sorry, but they are not as good as their record indicates. They will lose at least once more to either Maryland or Florida State.

Ohio State looked pretty good today, especially considering that Maurice Clarrett didn't play. Iowa looked solid as well. Too bad those two teams don't play each other this year. There are still a couple of potential land mines for Ohio State (at Purdue, Michigan), but if they go undefeated, it would be hard to deny them a trip to Tempe. Miami or Oklahoma would have to lose, though.

I can't remember the last time that 4 undefeated major conference teams all went down in the same day...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:45:01 PM
I remember two teams losing on the last weekend (UCLA and Kansas State) but I can't think of four losing either. One thing this is going to make a mess of the BCS standings, just a guess but I am thinking that it will be
1 OU
2 Miami
3 Ohio State
4 Notre Dame
5 Texas
6 Iowa
7 Washington State
8 Georgia

I don't think Notre Dame will drop that far because of there strenght of schedule also because there aren't any unbeatens left below them and Texas was the next team, I guess they could pass them.

CMJ
Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:19:17 PM
Sorry I've been away for a week guys...I wen home for Homecoming in Eagle Nation and did the alumni thing. :) I had a blast....

Oh and BTW UNT won 41-2(yeah the bad guys got a safety), we might go to the New Orleans Bowl again afterall. :D

Sanis Prent
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:33:41 AM
<font size=10><font color=009900>HOW BOUT THEM IRISH!</font></font>

:D!!!

I am a happy man now :)

Jedieb
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:22:22 AM
My Bulls won big, thanks for the info CMJ, but my local Hokies got run over by Pitt. I was stunned by that loss. Va Tech should have come out for revenge after last year's thrashing at Pittsburgh, but the defense made foolish penalties and was uncharacteristicly weak against the run. That pretty much dooms Va Tech's Fiesta Bowl chances. The Notre Dame game was pretty dissapointing as well. The defense played well again, but the offense made too many careless mistakes.

CMJ
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:27:31 AM
The Bulls *might* get a Bowl bid if some of the BCS conferences don't have enough eligible teams. :)

Keep the faith.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:45:52 PM
We will have to see how the rest of the season wears out it is still not over and we can't guarentee Miami and Oklahoma a spot in the fiesta just yet. Sure I think Oklahoma has a pretty easy schedule, they play at Texas A&M this coming weekend, the Aggies don't look good right now. Then they play Texas Tech and Baylor, both games they should win. Their hardest game could be at Oklahoma State, their Arch rivals beat them last year and cost them a chance at the national title. You would think the Sooners will be so up for that game they will kick the crap out of them, but that is what Va Tech fans thought about Pitt. Then you have Miami who still has three land mines left. They are at Tennessee this coming Saturday, that won't be easy. They play Pitt at home then at Va Tech, who might want to play spoiler, the last game. Then there is Ohio State who has to play at Purdue and arch rival Michigan, don't have to say more about that. If two of those three teams go down than the BCS is in a mess again because that would mean Texas would probably get in. Or worse what if all three teams lose then you have no undefeated teams and all one loss teams screaming they should be there.

CMJ
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:15:57 PM
I think most OU fans consider Texas to be their archrival...but your point is well taken Carr. ;)

BUFFJEDI
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:10:37 PM
well I hate college football(surprise) but I was upset that the wolf pack(whom I dislike) lost to GT. I wanted an acc team to come out big, other tha florida state:mad

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:22:36 PM
True I think they dislike Texas more but I think they should be motivated after losing to them last year.

CMJ
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:35:04 PM
Okay...question for people who REALLY follow College football. Who has the best marching band?

This debate should be fun. :)

Out of my experience, Texas A&M and Ohio State would tie.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:49:15 PM
As a former member of college marching band, I guess I'll throw in my thoughts...

There is a reason why The Ohio State Marching Band is called "The Best Damn Band in the Land." It's well earned, trust me. There is no band program that is more intense in practice, more solid in playing and marching ability, and more steeped in tradition. They are, without a doubt, the best marching band in the country.

There are very few bands that are very good in the difference performance facets. Some play really well because of a great school of music, but are bad at the marching aspects. Others can march well, but apparently have a good number of members that are tone deaf. Still others may be well skilled in those areas, but have no sense of style in show design.

I'm partial to bands that use a particular style of marching known as "chair step." It's also be called "Big Ten step" because, with maybe 2 exceptions, the only schools that use it anymore are in the Big Ten. It is much more difficult than a corp style step, but it is so much more entertaining to watch. For a good example of it, watch the bands from Ohio State, Purdue or Wisconsin.

Texas A&M does have a very good band. Kansas State does as well. Florida State has a very good playing band (they're annually one of the largest as well). Tennessee's band plays well. USC (Southern Cal, not South Carolina) has a very good band... great uniforms too... Washington is very good as well (they're one of the few that outside the Big Ten that use "chair step.")

CMJ
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:57:17 PM
This is coming as just an observer Figrin. I do love OSU's band..really impressive. I watched them on TV when I was a kid and was blown away. The dotting of the *I* is cool as well. :)

I LOVE the way A&M marches, in their military style. They have a knockout performance too, I remember when we played them I ALWAYS looked forward to watching there band. It's usually HUGE too.

On another note..I'm predicting AT LEAST one of the 4 undefeateds will go down this weekend.

Bowling Green has a tough game tommorrow and may not survive. I hope they can keep it going though...remember my school is a mid-major too. I love the little guy(BTW UNT has a HUGE game this weekend), but I'll move onto the BCS schools.

Oklahoma has A&M. Kyle Field is USUALLY a tough place to play. The fact that the Aggies have lost 3 times there this season is mindblowing. Slocum has been there over 10 seasons and before this season they'd lost 11 times in his tenure(71-11-1). R.C. has his job on the line, but if A&M can beat either OU or Texas then he'll be back. I expect Kyle Field to be rocking.

Ohio State has Purdue. The Boilermakers are MUCH better than their record indicates. They've been snake bit this year. I expect an all out war....

Miami has Tennessee. The Vols have NOTHING to lose, but you gotta remember they have as much talent as anybody. Neyland Stadium is a VERY tough place to play. I expect the Volunteers to give it a hell of a try.

Hell I can see all 4 of these schools going down(it won't happen of course) but I'm nearly certain one will fall, perhaps more.

Sanis Prent
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:18:32 PM
I don't know much about bands admittedly, so I'll be partial to my alma mater, and say I love the Million Dollar Band, of Alabama. Then again...due to inflation, the Million Dollar band is really an antiquidated thing, isn't it ;)

Morgan Evanar
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:40:40 PM
Florida A&M has the best marching band in Florida. The suck as a football team but the put on the best goddamn marching show I've ever seen. I've seen FSU (went there). A&M is better, funkier, and more stylish. UM is technically good, but I went to the UM/A&M game this year to see A&M march.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:25:23 PM
Florida A&M is quite good... I can't believe I forgot about them. Their style is what sets them apart, like you said. Great show design as well, from the few that I have seen.

I know very little about Alabama's band... I've honestly never seen them perform. Sorry. :(

CMJ
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:29:10 PM
NT has a good band, when they decide to show up. :p

Usually I think they aren't that good(even though we have a helluva music school) they just don't seem to have their hearts in it. Last year at the NO Bowl though, they gave a TERRIFIC performance. Even the Colorado State fans gave them a standing 'O'.

I wish they always performed like that.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:46:18 PM
Ironically, in many cases, its the universities and colleges with great schools of music that have bad or mediocre marching bands. Most music students have to take a variety of courses as part of their major. For some, marching band is a requirement... for others, it's an optional course, but it tends to be any easy one grade-wise. So, you end up with many concert-performance music majors in marching band as a filler class for an easy credit, and even though they may be talented, they don't really care about being there. Like you said... no heart.

Purdue, my alma mater, has no School of Music. You cannot get any kind of music degree from Purdue. Yet, the music department is quite large, and the Purdue "All-American" Marching Band is one of the best around. It's all because the director has a very rigid, strict, but efficient system of running the group, and the members want to be there. They want to perform every Saturday to the best of their abilities. You have to have a passion for it, really, and you have to love the game of college football. The really good bands have those things in common.

CMJ
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:51:45 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was wierd how we have a "usually" failry lackluster band. I mean our school of music is pretty famous, we have people from all over the world train at NT.

They showed me what they were made of last year though, I'll never forget how awesome the Green Brigade sounded. :D

Figrin D'an
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:45:27 PM
Well, you were right about another of the undefeateds going down today. Oklahoma got taken out by Texas A&M... 30-26.

Purdue was 1:30 away from beating Ohio State... leading 6-3, they forced the Buckeyes into a 4th and 1... Ohio State had to go for it. It looked like Krenzel would be sacked (again), but he managed to step up into the pocket, and lofted one downfield as he was hit. Jenkins beat the corner and caught the pass for a TD.

Purdue had their chances, though... they missed a very makeable field goal, and on their opening drive, got to the 10 yard line and threw an interception in the end zone. They held Ohio State to under 80 yards rushing, shut down Clarret and Ross, and harrased Krenzel all game... then, to lose it on a last ditch heave by the QB... :(

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:54:51 PM
I now am hoping both Miami and Ohio State will go down. Ohio State will have there hands full with Texas and Miami still has to play pitt and at Va Tech. If they both lose I guess we get a national title game between Texas and Washington State, that sure will be some joke for the BCS supporters.

Figrin D'an
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:01:47 PM
Va Tech has it's own problems to worry about now... they lost to Syracuse in the dome today...

Miami played like a challenged team today... if they maintain the mentality, they'll run the table.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:38:20 PM
Ummmmmmm won. =D

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:58:40 PM
That is what I want to see mainly because I despise the BCS I think its a big joke and if that happens I think the BCS will be gotten rid of in a few years and finally we will get that playoff system.

Figrin D'an
Nov 9th, 2002, 10:53:21 PM
Well, if Miami and Ohio State both run the table, there will be no controversy over the National Title game participants. If one of them loses, especially the last week of the season, that opens the door for either Texas or Washington State (provided one/both of them win out). In that case, you could have some controversy, as Texas could not be in the Big 12 title game (Oklahoma has the tie-breaker in the South), but still get into the Fiesta Bowl, just like Nebraska did last year with the Rose Bowl.

There are a lot of scenarios, but I tend to believe that a Miami team that plays like they did today will not be beaten in the regular season. Ohio State has a road game at Illinois (should be easier than today at Purdue), and home against Michigan. Yes, Michigan has the rivalry edge over the last decade, but Michigan was better last year, and Tressel's Buckeyes beat them in the Big House. I just have a feeling that, as long as Ohio State wins next week in Champaigne, that Tressel won't let his team blow the season at home in the final game of the season. He's much better at preping a team than Cooper ever was.

I think the BCS will dodge a bullet this year, and the Fiesta Bowl will be Miami/Ohio State.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:01:55 AM
DAMN YOU SOONERS :mad!!!

CMJ
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:05:13 PM
I *told* you guys Kyle Field is a tough place to play. ;) Did you see the fans?? They have the best fans in college football IMHO.

The game of the day was the LSU Kentucky game. Oh MY did you see that Hail Mary?!?! Unreal!

And FINALLY, NT won again...10-0 over Idaho. That's 4 in a row for my boys....we're in the driver's seat to go back to New Orleans. :D

I must apologize..but I gotta post this article from the old town newspaper.

Shutout, now showdown
UNT blanks Idaho, sets up Sun Belt title tilt with Aggies

11/10/2002

By TIM MacMAHON / Denton Record-Chronicle

North Texas coach Darrell Dickey doesn’t spend a whole lot of time worrying about aesthetics, especially when his team is contending for a conference championship.

The Mean Green’s 10-0 win Saturday night over Idaho at Fouts Field might not have been a picture of beauty, but it kept UNT in position to defend its Sun Belt title.

The victory, the ninth straight for the Mean Green (5-5, 4-0) in Sun Belt play, sets up a showdown with New Mexico State next week at Fouts Field that will decide the conference title and accompanying bid to the New Orleans Bowl.

“It wasn’t pretty,” Dickey said, “but we’re not here to be real pretty. The number one thing we want to do is win the game.”

While Dickey would like his offense to be more explosive, it isn’t what he is counting on to win. Not when the Mean Green’s defense hasn’t allowed a point in the past 12 quarters.

UNT handed Idaho (2-8, 1-3), a program known for its potent passing offense, its first shutout since 1986. It was the third shutout of the season for the Mean Green, the most it has had since 1951.

“If our offense scores, we should win the game,” said UNT nose tackle Brandon Kennedy, who had a career-high six tackles for loss, including a sack. “That’s how we feel.”

UNT was fortunate that the game was a scoreless tie at halftime -- Idaho kicker Keith Stamps missed two field goals in the first half -- but the Mean Green took command in the third quarter.

According to offensive tackle J.R. Randle, the characteristically calm Dickey “called out” the team in the locker room. Apparently, the message got across.

After managing a meager 43 total yards and two first downs in the first half, the Mean Green marched 75 yards for a touchdown on the first possession of the third quarter. Reserve running back Patrick Cobbs punctuated the seven-play drive with a 27-yard touchdown scamper around the right end.

“The first drive of the second half was critical,” Dickey said. “We needed to take the ball and go down and get some points.”

After a three-and-out series by Idaho, UNT put together an 11-play, 65-yard drive culminating with Nick Bazaldua’s 19-yard field goal to increase the lead to 10-0.

That was plenty of points for the Mean Green’s defense, which knocked Idaho quarterback Brian Lindgren from the game in the second quarter with a broken collarbone. The Vandals were limited to 40 total yards in the second half.

The fact that the Mean Green’s running game got going after halftime -- allowing UNT to control the ball for 21:07 of the second half -- certainly helped the dominant defensive effort. Nevertheless, Idaho had an excellent scoring opportunity set up by a blocked field goal midway through the fourth quarter, only to be denied.

"I can't say enough about our defense," said Dickey, whose team ranks among the top 10 in Division I-A in three major defensive categories. "They took control of this game."

Added Idaho backup quarterback Adam Mallette: "They are everything we read about and more."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572. His e-mail address is tmacmahon@dentonrc.com.

Just checked our D is now the 8th ranked(statistically speaking) in the land. They really can line up against anybody. If only we had a good offense...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2002, 06:35:03 PM
Well Ohio State stayed undefeated by winning in OT. Texas's national title hopes appear over. Oklahoma still has a chance but has to win the next three games and hope either Ohio State or Miami lose. It should be an interesting month.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2002, 05:27:53 PM
This week is rivalry week #1(Rivalry week #2 is next week)....:D I think it's fair to say more great rivalry games come in these next 2 weeks than the rest of the season combined.

I can't wait.

Just got this off of ESPN.com, some good stuff here. What's YOUR favorite rivalry? Or your list?

What's the best rivalry in college football? The one involving your favorite team, of course.

But some rivalries have such history and intensity that they go beyond regional interest and symbolize the game itself for the nation's fans.

Look over our choices for the 10 best college football rivalries, and vote in the SportsNation poll to the left.

1. Alabama vs. Auburn
Alabama leads the series, 38-27-1.

The Tigers and the Crimson Tide have played each other since 1893 (no, Bear Bryant wasn't coaching back then), and the Iron Bowl faceoff has been so bitter that it's often been played in Birmingham, Ala., a neutral site. The teams play Saturday in Tuscaloosa.

2. Ohio State vs. Michigan
Michigan leads the series, 56-36-6.

Used to be that when the Buckeyes and Wolverines faced each other they were fighting for a spot in the Rose Bowl. This Saturday, Michigan invades Ohio State turf, hoping to keep the Buckeyes (12-0) from a shot at the BCS title in the Fiesta Bowl. The Buckeyes and Wolverines first faced each other in 1897.

3. Oklahoma vs. Texas
Texas leads the series, 56-36-5.

At this rivalry's neutral battlefield, the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, the fans in the stands use the 50-yard line to re-create the Oklahoma-Texas border -- on one side, the Oklahoma fans wear crimson and cream, and on the other side the Texas fans are in burnt orange and white.

4. Army vs. Navy
Army leads the series, 49-46-7.

No brotherly love in this annual matchup, played yearly, often in Philly. Back in the day, the two service academies were usually among the top teams in the country. Case in point: in the fall of 1945, the first football season after the end of WWII, Mr. Inside (Doc Blanchard) and Mr. Outside (Glenn Davis) led No. 1 ranked Army over No. 2 Navy.

5. Texas vs. Texas A&M
Texas leads the series, 69-34-5.

This was voted the top college football rivalry in a USA Today online poll. The Longhorns and Aggies have been playing each other since 1897. They face off the day after Thanksgiving.

6. Florida vs. Georgia
Georgia leads the series, 45-34-2.

It's "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party." But the Bulldogs weren't partying a few weeks ago, when Florida handed them their only loss of the season so far, 20-13.

7. USC vs. UCLA
USC leads the series, 37-27-7

The battle for the Victory Bell is about as close to tradition as you can get on the left coast. This year's matchup, with USC (8-2, ranked seventh) at UCLA (7-3, ranked 25th), should be a good one.

8. Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
Nebraska leads the series, 40-37-3.

For decades they fought it out for Big 8 supremacy, with an Orange Bowl bid and often a national title on the line. On Nov. 25, 1971, they played what has become known as the "Game of the Century," with Nebraska prevailing 35-31.

9. Harvard vs. Yale
Yale leads the series, 64-46-8.

Think it doesn't matter? These two Ivies started playing in 1875, and the best contest came nearly 100 years later. After Harvard rallied from a 29-13 deficit with less than a minute left in the 1968 battle, the Harvard Crimson ran the memorable headline, "Harvard beats Yale 29-29."

10. California vs. Stanford
Stanford leads the series, 54-39-11.

It's called "The Big Game," and the game everyone still talks about, even 20 years later, is the one that ended with "The Play," won by Cal on a crazy kickoff return featuring five laterals and an end zone full of Stanford band members.

Also receiving consideration:

Clemson vs. South Carolina
Florida State vs. Miami
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech
Kentucky vs. Louisville
Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Mississippi vs. Mississippi State
Oregon vs. Oregon State
USC vs. Notre Dame
Washington vs. Washington State

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:07:01 PM
That school down the road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Pat Forde
Special to ESPN.com

College football rivalries can do amazing things to people.

They can turn the sane stark-raving mad. They can divide houses, offices and classrooms. They often lead to excessive use of the word "class," as fans relentlessly extoll the class of their scholar-athletes while decrying the lack of same in the opponents.

They can even make a man talk funny.

Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill resolutely refuses to refer to the other Southeastern Conference school in the state by its preferred pet name, Ole Miss. It was, is and shall be "Mississippi" to Jackie, until he speaks no more.

When he was at Vanderbilt, Gerry DiNardo used to avoid both the word "Tennessee" and the color orange. This was a practice he likely learned as an assistant to Bill McCartney at Colorado, where McCartney outlawed the color red and declared war upon Nebraska.

And then there's Alabama coach Dennis Franchione. Seems he has a speech defect where the word "Auburn" is involved. Can't quite bring himself to say it, often substituting a euphemism: That School Down The Road.

(While hardly a term of respect, it's still kinder than "That Cow College," as The Bear His Own Self once famously referred to Auburn.)

"That's just one of those things that's been made too much of," Franchione said Wednesday, shifting into downplay mode. "I pretty much just talk about Alabama ... I've said it before."

But he wouldn't say "it" then, and certainly won't utter "it" this week. This is Iron Bowl Week.

A strong candidate for America's most passionate, obsessive football rivalry carries additional payload this year. Auburn is still striving to win the Western Division; Alabama (9-2, 6-1 in SEC play) is trying to ruin that and cement its image as the best team doing nothing this bowl season.

Actually, there's more involved in Tuscaloosa. Alabama is seeking the exclamation point on the phrase that's been spewing from lips across the South in recent weeks, as the overpowering Crimson Tide victories have piled up: " 'Bama's back" could become " 'Bama's back!"

All it will take to complete the journey is a second consecutive rout of That School Down The Road -- by no means an easy task, but have you seen Alabama recently?

The Tide leads the SEC in total offense. The Tide leads the SEC in total defense. The Tide has whipped five straight SEC opponents by an average margin of 24.4 points. By acclamation, the Tide has the best offensive and defensive lines in the league.

The Tide went into Fayetteville and pounded Arkansas 30-12. The Tide went into Knoxville and pounded Tennessee 34-14. The Tide went into Baton Rouge last week and pounded 12th-ranked LSU 31-0. Three of the rowdiest locales in the nation, snuffed.

LSU coach Nick Saban declared Alabama the best defensive team in the nation. And that was before the Tide shut out his Tigers.

Alabama's only slips were a closer-than-the-score 10-point September loss to Oklahoma, and a two-point October gut-buster to then-undefeated Georgia. In summation, the Tide has gotten awfully good while toiling away in probation purgatory.

Egregious cheating and the resulting penalties have brought much pain and suffering to Alabama: no bowl games this year or next, plus scholarship cuts and other indignities. But they haven't kept the program from coalescing around the nasal-voiced Kansan coach who now looks like the man with a road map back to the glory days.

You can trace the embrace of Franchione to last year's Iron Bowl. After a wobbly start, the Crimson Tide began putting it together late in the year and then smashed Auburn on its own home field, 31-7, with a punishing display of rushing offense.

"They got us pretty good last year," Auburn's Tommy Tuberville allowed.

That immediately made Fran The Man, and also immediately put Tuberville in a stressful spot. Auburn wound up losing its bowl game and Tuberville wound up firing assistants in the offseason. Alabama wound up winning its bowl game, Franchione wound up keeping his team together even after sanctions were announced, and wound up being offered a stunning, 10-year, $15-million contract (which remains unsigned, by the way).

The fallout from that day might be why Franchione said, "Having been through one, I see and feel the depth of it more than I did last year at this time."

That depth of feeling is the one thing that could work against Alabama Saturday. Auburn (7-4, 4-3) enters as a significant underdog, but in reality the Tigers are only two plays away from beating both Florida and Georgia and owning the same record as the Tide.

"It's been a pretty disappointing year for us, because we could've obviously had a much better record if a couple of things had happened differently," Tuberville said.

At 1-6 personally against Alabama, Tuberville is in danger of becoming Auburn's answer to Bill Curry -- the guy who can't beat the hated rival. But he's warming to the underdog role this week.

"A lot of people have counted us out for Saturday's game," Tuberville said, "but we will be there ready to play."

The Tigers don't have much hope of making Dennis Franchione say "Auburn." But they'd love to make him say "uncle" on Saturday. Really.

CMJ
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:37:29 PM
Auburn/Alabama would definitely make my top 5 rivalries...you can feel the hatred through the TV screen. :)

I remember one year, one of the Tide players had WWIII shaved into his hair. Good stuff. :D

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:49:45 PM
Ohhhh yes I remember that :D

I've seen some NASTY ones in my time, thats for sure.

CMJ
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:57:47 PM
My top 5 rivalries(and boy these were hard as hell...there's a ton of them).

1. Army - Navy
2. Texas A&M - Texas
3. Auburn - Alabama
4. Ohio State - Michigan
5. USC - Notre Dame

There were about 20 others that made an honorable mention. :)

CMJ
Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:54:42 PM
Oh BTW, UNT won today...30-20 over Middle Tennessee. They aren't our "rival" per se, as we don't have a long history with them, but there's alot of bad blood between the fans of the 2 schools regarding many things(including but not limited to our conference co-championship with them last season).

Oh yeah, there was a bench clearing brawl during the 3rd quarter...if we're still playing them 25 years from now they WILL be our rival.

I hate the Blue Raiders...this victory is sweet!

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:19:34 PM
Ohio State won too, guarenting they will be in the Fiesta Bowl now Miami is left. Actually I think their scariest game left might be at Syracuse, Syracuse has been hot lately and Miami has a tendancy to play down to lesser teams (Rutgers anyone), if they lost I think Oklahoma would step in, assuming they win out. If they win out they would probably have a higher BCS ranking than Washington State because Washington State is done after today and I doubt Washington will help their rankings any. Of course this is all mute if Miami wins their last two games.

Darth23
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:34:30 PM
Can we just END this season now, BEFORE the Florida-FSU game?

Admiral Lebron
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:59:05 PM
Ugh. Maryland was not there tonight. UVA got sooo lucky. I am mad. :mad

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:22:40 PM
Well Washington State is done, got beat by Washington in OT puts them out of the race. Oklahoma beat Texas Tech 60-15 (Griffin I think should be a heisman contender he had 200 yards and 3 TDs) they are still in it, so isn't Georgia (Idle) and Notre Dame who killed Rutgers.
Okay here are the scenerios for the last spot
Miami wins last two they get it
Miami loses one game

then Oklahoma wins out they get in

OU loses one game
Georgia would get in if they beat out GA Tech and LSU
Georgia loses one game
Notre Dame gets in if they beat USC.
If Notre Dame loses well I guess the BCS is in a real mess then :p

Figrin D'an
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:54:24 PM
you know... if enough teams screw up and lose... Iowa could get the other Fiest Bowl berth...

All-Big Ten title game... :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:39:58 PM
That would be funny thought I doubt it would get that far, personally it will either be Miami or Oklahoma, I don't see both teams losing a game down the stretch.

Figrin D'an
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:49:59 PM
I kind of doubt it too, but you never know. Syracuse has been playing better lately, and Miami has had problems at the Carrier Dome in the past, and Va. Tech is still one of the best running teams in the country. Oklahoma still has Oklahoma St, who beat them last year, and Colorado again the Big 12 title game.

Crazier things have happened (remember '98 when two undefeated teams, UCLA and Kansas St., lost on the final day of the season, putting Florida St. in the title game against Tennessee?)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:24:11 AM
I remember that and Tennessee also almost lost that day, that day was just insane.

CMJ
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:40:37 PM
Well Oklahoma went down...Gerogia is waiting in the wings now.

Figrin D'an
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:25:53 PM
A lot of BCS gurus are saying that even if Miami losses to Virgina Tech next weekend, they still may not drop far enough in the BCS to get knocked out of the Fiesta Bowl. Ohio State would jump up to #1, but Miami may only drop to #2 in that scenario. Georgia may not be able to make up the gap, even if they win big against Arkansas. And if Georgia should lose... no one else would be close enough to overtake the Hurricanes.

Granted, I don't think Miami will lose, but it's an interesting little scenario if it should happen.

The bigger contoversy will be either Iowa or USC potentially getting snubbed by the BCS in favor of Notre Dame. The latest BCS polls just came out, and USC moved up to #4... in that spot, they would be guarenteed a BCS bowl slot (the top 4 go to the BCS no matter what)... Iowa, an 11-1 team, is #5 in the BCS, and #3 in both polls. Notre Dame, whom just got plastered by USC, now has two losses, and finished the year on a very bad note. But, because they have the name "Notre Dame" and will be a big monetary draw, they may get the last BCS at-large slot over Iowa...

CMJ
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:29:02 PM
All that is moot if Washington State loses to UCLA..then USC goes to the Rose Bowl. Without Gesser that is a very conceivable scenario.

JMK
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:37:33 PM
Right on Figrin. I'm a Notre Dame fan, but I don't think the Irish deserve a real bowl game at the expense of Iowa or USC. But $$$ makes the world go around and they just may be chosen.

JMK
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:40:18 PM
Hey Figrin, I don't know if you listen to Jim Rome, but his take and your views on the latest BCS happenings are quite similar! Petition for his job!

We may have #1 v. #2 in the Fiesta Bowl, but that doesn’t mean the BCS is without serious problems. This year the BCS has problems, but all hell could REALLY break loose this year.

For instance:

How about a Rose Bowl without a Big 10 team? Nothing says ‘Rose Bowl’ like…COLORADO.

If Washington State beats UCLA, that means Washington State will be going to the Rose Bowl. The Orange Bowl would lose Miami to the Fiesta Bowl and Iowa could get ripped from the Rose Bowl to go to the Orange Bowl.

I know, I know…it’s complicated. But just know that it’s possible that we can have Colorado V. Washington State in the Rose Bowl. How about that for a marquee matchup? How pissed do you think the Rose Bowl would be?

And what if Iowa gets pulled from the Rose Bowl and hooks up against Notre Dame instead of USC in the Orange Bowl. It’s a possibility. Never mind that USC just kicked the hell out of Notre Dame. It’s about making the most money for the biggest conferences.

I thought the BCS was supposed to clear up the confusion. Somebody is going to get stiffed, again.

Somebody deserving is going to get stoned, going to get locked out.

Somebody has to be sacrificed for there to be legitimate change. It was supposed to simplify matters and it has not.

I can make a better argument for Iowa and USC than I can Notre Dame. But, Notre Dame prints money for people. It’s not about determining a true national champion. It’s about making a few conferences a lot of money. The system is flawed, without question.

Notre Dame is attractive, even with 2 losses. They travel well, meaning they bring fans. But if somebody has to be stoned, it should be Notre Dame. It should be, but I don’t know that it will be. USC whacked them, but USC Fan is not going to travel to go see their team across the country and they’re not going to attract as much money overall. In the end, that’s what it’s all about, jack. The BCS is not about pairing the best teams, it’s about making the Super conferences, super rich.

Figrin D'an
Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:13:20 PM
The BCS needs UCLA to beat Washington State, or there will be controversy yet again... I can't imagine how the Iowa players feel right now. They finish a perfect Big Ten season, 11-1 overall, and think they have the Rose Bowl locked up, and now suddenly are being told that they could be passed over for a Notre Dame team that just got hammered on national TV and served as the latest whipping boy in the Carson Palmer Heisman campaign.

Part of me is pulling for the Bruins to knock off the Cougars, so that this all works out for Iowa, but part of me wants this to blow up in the face of the BCS.

I mean... come on... Iowa/USC could be the best Rose Bowl in years!

JMK
Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:52:48 PM
I really do hope it blows up in their face. I love to see big honks get shafted!

Roddy Two
Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:07:09 AM
Eh, the Rose Bowl is a crock anyways. All it's ever been is a Big 10 / Pac 10 safety net, so they could play country club football...

Y'know, didn't ALWAYS used to be like that >D

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:26:11 PM
Yes, we all know about the history of the Rose Bowl, for the umpteenth time. Quite frankly, it's no different that any of the other bowl games and their conference tie-ins.

Roddy Two
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:28:13 PM
AFAIK, the Rose Bowl is the only conference exclusive bowl, but perhaps I'm forgetting some.

Figrin D'an
Dec 4th, 2002, 01:06:31 PM
It looks like, as it should be, that Notre Dame will be the odd team out...

ESPN reported late last night that the BCS bowl representatives met and agreed that Iowa will be guarenteed a spot in the BCS. I had to wonder if the Big Ten and the conference schools knew something that the media didn't, because the other eligible schools accepted bowl invitations yesterday afternoon... I doubt that would have happened unless the other bowl committees had gotten the okay from the BCS to make their offers.

So... now, only Notre Dame is unsure of it's fate. If UCLA beats Washington State, then the Irish are in the BCS and likely headed to the Orange Bowl. If Washington State wins, Notre Dame is left out, and will be headed to the Gator Bowl.

Darth23
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:59:20 PM
Originally posted by Darth23
Can we just END this season now, BEFORE the Florida-FSU game?

FSU won! FSU won!

They'll only have FOUR losses going in to a BCS Bowl game.

Ishan Shade
Dec 6th, 2002, 09:13:35 AM
Ohio State all the waaaayy!!!! :D :D

Well....hopefully at least, go BUCKEYES!

Hadrian Invicta
Dec 6th, 2002, 10:31:20 AM
I think the Illini still have a chance, :( no not really. How does my beloved school go from Sugar Bowl to whipping boy of the Big Ten in a season? I'll tell you how, Ron Turner Sucks!!! Ok now that I'm done with that rant.

OSU is going to shock the world and knock off Miami in the Fiesta, Iowa is going to the Rose Bowl, too much history not too. Screw the Irish, why don't the play in a conference, though they did put a hurting to the closest thing they have to a confrence in the Big Ten (awaits the rotten fruit).

And isn't anyone a little said to see Joe Pa deterioate into a ref blaming ninny lion (wow that was a great pun!)

Figrin D'an
Dec 6th, 2002, 11:42:33 AM
I don't think it's sad at all. Joe Pa's gripes were quite justified, IMO. The officiating in the Big Ten has been horrible the past 3-4 years, and it's about time that someone took a stand on it. I observed more blown calls this year by Big Ten crews than I have in any other year.

Iowa could very well end up in the Orange Bowl rather than the Rose Bowl. It just depends upon the outcome of this weekends games, and whether there will be 2 Pac-10 teams in the BCS, or if one of the slots will go to Notre Dame.

CMJ
Dec 6th, 2002, 02:23:50 PM
Definitely alot of things are still up in the air Saturday night.

Hadrian Invicta
Dec 6th, 2002, 04:10:32 PM
The only reason I think it's sad is that he's told the other coaches for the last umpteen years to grin and bare it when it happened to them. As was the case when Illinois was beaten by Michigan, 2 years ago in Champaign on 3 fumble calls that would all have been revoked with instant replay.

When i was writing for the University's school paper and we got a fax asking us to print a formal apology from the Conference about how our school was gipped out of a win, I just don't really have any sympathy for Joe Pa who told a reporter that was just the breaks, when asked about it. LOL what comes around goes around!!! lol :)