PDA

View Full Version : Amelie...

Slayn Cloak
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:13:30 PM
Anyone ever seen it?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:34:14 PM
DONT SEE THIS MOVIE.

I spent two hours in an aircraft, wishing I could jump out, cause this POS was on. Please, for the sake of your sanity, avoid at ALL costs!

Slayn Cloak
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:35:55 PM
Are you serious? Man you must have no taste... you probubly like american films, lke men in black eh? Hmmm sorry if that was offensive I just hate most big budget american films. And jean whatever his last name is, is an amazing director. I actually can't belive they would show it on an airplane, and hat didn't you like about it?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:41:58 PM
I do not like Men in Black and I hated Blade and trite crap like that - I however like things like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (a lot) and of course LOTR. I also love stuff like Citizen Kane, Mad Max, The Dish, anything Jackie Chan, slews of Clint Eastwooda dn one hell of a lot of Aussie films that you would never have seen.

I stand by my comment. Amielie is a foul, foul excuse for celluliod and I make no excuse for bashing and reaming it. It is a purile waste of time with merit, only exceeded in agony in watching to The Shipping News, which I also saw, trapped on a plane with no hope of escape.

Jehova Eaven
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:27:55 PM
I found the film funny, though I don't think it was supposed to be that way.

Severen Morkonis
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:10:04 AM
In other words Marcus likes all the old 80's style movies and just one modern movie........gotcha :p

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:17:41 AM
Oh, I dont mind anything from Pixar either.

Hart
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:08:16 AM
Awesome movie! You just need to relate! I'm a loner and a dreamer, so it hit home for me :)

Sene Unty
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:03:41 AM
I enjoyed the cinamatography. It was quite amazing what they did with the camera.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:23:47 AM
Thread moved here

I saw it and actually liked it. It is supposed to be funny, but some people do not see the humor (it is French). Seeing a movie in an airplane, automatically reduces the experience quite a lot compared to seeing it in a real theater, in my experience.

I agree what Sene said about the camerawork and Hart's comment as well. :)

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:29:49 PM
I really enjoyed it....but I think we've discussed this flick a NUMBER of times now. :p

JMK
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:10:30 PM
Seems to be an love or hate thing with this movie. I'll just never see it, sit on the fence and ref these kinds of threads.:D

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:25:11 PM
Hate, hate, HATE! HATE!!! HATE!!!!

GAHH!!!!!!!!! Destroy... all..... copies.... I.... must!!!!

Dark Lord Dyzm
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:40:29 PM
I only hate movies that have some musician, or sports star trying to act, and can't. There are a few, like Space Jam, when a sports star did a decent film. But all this Ice Cube crap just sucks.

THE only movie which was created by rockers and became a awesome movie was Tommy. THAT was awesome. Everything else should be taken out back and beaten with a stick until it don't move no more

JMK
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:46:50 PM
Ice Cube was good in Three Kings I'll have you know...

JonathanLB
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:47:46 PM
Marcus is right, and futhermore, to attack someone's entire taste in film because they don't like ONE movie is really idiotic. He actually is a very picky moviegoer and not some "I love all blockbusters" type of guy, but Amelie DID just SUCK.

"I spent two hours in an aircraft, wishing I could jump out, cause this POS was on. Please, for the sake of your sanity, avoid at ALL costs!"

I don't think I could put it better than that. It was a horrible, horrible film with absolutely no merit. It was pointless, idiotic, stupid, insulting to my intelligence, just generally one of the worst films of the last few years. TERRIBLE.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:03:21 PM
Ice Cube was good in Three Kings I'll have you know...
Damn right! :)

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:44:30 PM
Marcus is right, and futhermore, to attack someone's entire taste in film because they don't like ONE movie is really idiotic.

I really do find you to be hypocritical.

I am really looking forward to watching Amelie when I get the chance. I think Marcus has good taste in music but doesn't like Moulin Rouge so that in itself nullifies everything! :p

JMK
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:16:17 PM
I found the first 45 minutes of Moulin Rouge VERY hard to watch, but the last hour is great.

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:02:13 PM
The first bit is intended to be daring the viewer to jump onboard the wild ride that it is and get completely involved with what's going on. If you keep up with the it, then it's fantastic, the first 45 minutes would be my favourite bit of the film. :)

JMK
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:48:48 PM
For me, it was just engaging enough that I decided to watch the whole thing and not pop in something easier to watch like Top Gun. At the end of the movie, I was glad I bought it and think it was $25 well spent.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:54:34 PM
AHAHA JMK buys movies before he watches them! I've caught you! Its ok, I do it too. Might even do it with Amelie.

My sister doesn't like the movie, simply because the cover art for the DVD freaks her out in Bbuster. ^_^

ANyway...... I found Moulin Rouge to be an Ok movie. I loved most of it, but there were a few elements in the actual filmmaking aspect, not the acting or story, but those crazy sound affects...made it very cartoonish. It was difficult, but I do like the movie over all.

^_^;

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:14:38 AM
Eeeewwww, Moulin Rouge.... :: spit spit gag puke!! ::

How the hell did this POS get nominated last year? My lower intestine wanted to leap up through my stomach and strangle me, to get away from the assault on the senses.

Dutchy
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:47:01 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I found the first 45 minutes of Moulin Rouge VERY hard to watch, but the last hour is great.

I hated every non-musical minute of Moulin Rouge. It featured some of the must UN-funny characters I've ever seen. Some of the musical scenes were good, but they got old soon.

As for Amélie. I liked it. Nice composition of images and music. I didn't like it was much as many people, apparently, do, though. It was just good.

dbn
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:02:46 PM
J'adored Amélie!!!
Watch it, and find out for yourself=)

Myself, I enjoy non-American movies more than the movies made here in the States. I find American movies show more than tell in the story, or not make you think what is happening on the screen. Granted both American and the World film makers made some pretty bad movies, and still do. But when it comes to the artistic background, characters, editing, and story telling-- non-American movies do a better job. This is not saying that American movies suck, and they are no good. I just wish we spend more time developing the characters, and the story rather than the F/X in the film.

JonathanLB
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:18:29 AM
The U.S. always has and always will dominate the world of film with the best movies. It's just easy for us to do because this country is the entertainment capital of the world. Where else are you going to find a city like Las Vegas or Los Angeles?

Our movies are more expensive, more elaborate, and superior. Our directors are far better too. You rarely see great directors coming from other countries. Here and there, perhaps, but all of the best are here in the USA.

Amelie is trash. A good french film is Brotherhood of the Wolf. THAT is a quality film. Amelie is about nothing, means nothing, and is nothing but trash. I can hardly think of any way they could make it worse.

Loki, and I care about your warped view because why? That's what I thought.

As for buying DVDs before you watch them, hehe, I do that all of the time. I did that to Moulin Rouge actually, dunno why, but I still haven't seen it. I watched parts. The musical parts seemed ok, kind of hokey but the movie seemed to have awesome sets. Looked really nice as far as production values but I cannot make any judgments about the quality of the film as a whole.

I usually only buy movies I haven't seen if they have a lot of potential to be good to great and if they are cheap, i.e. on sale.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:32:14 AM
The U.S. always has and always will dominate the world of film with the best movies
Simple thing of size. US is well over 50 times bigger than the UK, it makes 50 times more films, it makes 50 times more money....

Thats why India is the largest film industry (Dont ask me how that is worked out).

You rarely see great directors coming from other countries
John Woo
Guy Ritchie
Ridley Scott
Ridley Scott's brothers

Those four came straght out the head. And Woo makes films more beautiful than anything Ive seen from USian directors. Mneh :)

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:53:31 AM
Loki, and I care about your warped view because why? That's what I thought.

Oh right... (http://www.andrew-milligan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/coffee.wav)

Dutchy
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:04:22 PM
Originally posted by dbn
Myself, I enjoy non-American movies more than the movies made here in the States. I find American movies show more than tell in the story, or not make you think what is happening on the screen. Granted both American and the World film makers made some pretty bad movies, and still do. But when it comes to the artistic background, characters, editing, and story telling-- non-American movies do a better job. This is not saying that American movies suck, and they are no good. I just wish we spend more time developing the characters, and the story rather than the F/X in the film.

Wholeheartedly agreed! Well said.

Originally posted by JonathanLB
The U.S. always has and always will dominate the world of film with the best movies. It's just easy for us to do because this country is the entertainment capital of the world. Where else are you going to find a city like Las Vegas or Los Angeles?

Our movies are more expensive, more elaborate, and superior. Our directors are far better too. You rarely see great directors coming from other countries. Here and there, perhaps, but all of the best are here in the USA.

Oh my god, I can't believe how arrogant you can be sometimes.

That's complete BS you're writing there. You have no idea.

How many non English movies have you seen this year?

JonathanLB
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:48:58 PM
You WISH you lived in a country where you could say that, Dutchy, but you don't. It's not arrogant. It's FACT. Go look at the box office of any country, yours included, and our films dominate. The U.S. rules the world as far as entertainment, and ESPECIALLY as far as movies.

I have hardly seen ANY foreign movies this year because none of them have even come to our theaters, i.e. not one of them has been worth seeing. Foreign countries don't make good movies on a regular basis. Occassionally, one seeps out.

John Woo came to mind, yes, but guess what? He's an American director now. He doesn't direct in other countries anymore.

Ridley Scott is also an American director. I don't give a crap where anyone was born, if they are in Hollywood directing Hollywood movies, they are Hollywood, AMERICAN directors.

It's not a matter of arrogance. Fact: the USA is the world's ONLY super power now. That has been written time and again in USA Today, Time, Newsweek, whatever. It's just a fact, it isn't arrogant to say that. It's arrogant to say that the U.S. is the BEST country in the world perhaps, even though it is the best country in the world, LOL, but it's not arrogant to say we have the best film industry. We do. It's a fact.

ReaperFett
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:54:42 PM
John Woo came to mind, yes, but guess what? He's an American director now. He doesn't direct in other countries anymore.
In that case, Lucas is a British director. Oh wait, Austrailian these days :)

Fact: the USA is the world's ONLY super power now. That has been written time and again in USA Today, Time, Newsweek, whatever
So, its a fact because the US says the US is the only one. Im sure that would be very unbiased ;)

it's not arrogant to say we have the best film industry. We do. It's a fact
Fact: Something that can be proven

Prove it :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:11:25 PM
LOTR = 100% New Zealand-ish

And Loki that .wav was hilarious. :)

JonathanLB
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:51:07 AM
That is really ridiculous! It is not where a film is SHOT, not where it is edited, it is who bankrolled the movie and who distributed it. LOTR is a New Line Cinemas film property and New Line is a U.S. company.

Lucasfilm is a privately held United States company. X-Files shot in Canada, does that make it Canadian? No. It was a U.S. television show, and for your information the proper term is "runaway production," i.e. any U.S. film that shoots outside of the United States and its territories.

Because of cheaper costs, many directors are going to Canada or especially Australia now. It's generally cheaper.

To say that a film shot on location in another country is a foreign film is just idiotic. Many movies have scenes that are done in other countries, even if it's just a few minutes of footage, and that doesn't make them foreign movies anymore than having one actor who is British makes a movie a British film, hehe.

The original Star Wars had plenty of British influences, which were all good because those were solid actors, but that doesn't make it a British movie. It shot over in the U.K. too, plus Tunisia, but it is still a United States produced film under 20th Century Fox's bankrolling.

I pay a design firm in India, E-Lixir Web Solutions, for my site designs, but that doesn't make them foreign Websites! I am the owner and they are my sites. I operate them from inside of the United States and they are U.S. owned sites as I am a U.S. Webmaster, which is the best kind to be at this point in time. If you are a Canadian Webmaster, you are fine too. If you are an Australian one, you're going to have some trouble if you're trying to attract mostly Australian traffic.

Most companies want 85% of your traffic to come from the U.S. Other companies, mostly smaller ones, will not pay Webmasters outside of North America. I'd say the vast majority will pay Webmasters in any major country, but they still won't do business with ones in the Middle East, some parts of Asia, some parts of Africa, and some parts of South America. Generally that would mean Webmasters in Australia, France, the U.K., Italy, the U.S., Japan, and even China will be fine, but ones from North Korea, Malaysia, and Afghanistan, lol, might have trouble :)

The U.S. is considered, even by any outside source, as the world's only superpower.

I would certainly regard China as a rising superpower, but the U.K. is no superpower by any means, that was hundreds of years ago. The last time there were two superpowers was with the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War. Then of course before that you have Germany, the U.S., possibly Russia, definitely Japan, and maybe a few others that are questionable (I wouldn't personally say Italy or the U.K. were superpowers back then, but Japan, the U.S., and Germany, heck yes, and almost certainly Russia).

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:08:09 AM
And there are 4 million New Zealanders and their 25 million sheep who will hit you for even daring to suggest LOTR is anything else other than New Zealand film.

Dutchy
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:12:42 AM
Jonathan, I'm perfectly happy living in my country.

Yes, American movies dominate and yes, the US is a a super power.

American movies are not superior, though. They make the most money, but that doesn't make them the best. YOU think foreign movies are not worth seeing, and YOU think foreign countries don't make good movies. But that's probably because you simply don't know them. You don't see them, but you judge them anyway.

You are totally clueless about non English movies.

They're just not your type of movies, not your taste, but that doesn't make 'em inferior.

Oh, and trust me: you come off very arrogant. THAT is a fact. :)

JMK
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:04:30 PM
AHAHA JMK buys movies before he watches them! I've caught you! Its ok, I do it too

Yeah, you got me. But I buy the chick flicks for the gf.:p

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:11:59 PM
I sometimes have to buy without viewing to see them, like Boondock Saints or my HK Woo films

JMK
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:32:59 PM
Nothing wrong with buying before seeing. I think I've only bought one movie without seeing it and ended up not liking it and that was 15 Minutes.

ReaperFett
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:34:28 PM
Cant think of one Ive ever disliked.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:54:12 PM
I've learned from my mistakes. I bought "Gladiator" before seeing it and what a horrendously overrated film that turned out to be. I really didn't see what people liked so much about it; I thought it was bland, shallow and dealt with things in a very uninvolving manner. I didn't find the storyline remotely gripping. I've learnt from that and as such don't tend to do it anymore.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:29:48 PM
Believe it or not, I listen to what people here have to say - I generally find if most like a film, I will too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:49:59 PM
But LOTR was made by a New Zealander Director.

ANYWAY.

GO see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Its hilarious. :) I highly reccomend.