PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played Battlefield 1942?

Darth Viscera
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:39:30 PM
This game rocks. More than that, it redefines what it means for a game to rock. I think I played this game for 7 hours straight last night, and it was time well spent. When I was done, the sun had come up and it was 8am. LOL.

Anyways, in the multiplayer demo map you're either the Japanese or the Americans. The Americans are holding the island, and the Japanese are using a Shokaku Class Aircraft carrier and a Akizuki Class Destroyer to assault the beach by air and by sea with landing craft. When you land on Wake Island, you can take control of jeeps, light tanks, APCs, aircraft from the island's small airfield, coast defense artillery and flak cannon. You have to take control of 5 points on the island, and you can pilot the destroyer and carrier up and down the coast, and in the destroyer's case, open fire with the ship's 4 inch guns.

As the Americans, you have to take control of coast defense artillery and knock out the Nipponese ships before they start landing. You have 3 aircraft on the island's airfield which you can use, and you have to race back and forth to each spot where the enemy has landed. It all rules.

Personally, I'd get onto a Jeep (the fastest vehicle) with another guy who needs a ride, floor it over to an enemy zone at 90mph, and start running over enemy soldiers like crazy. You hear a nice little "bump" when they either fly over your windshield or are crunched underneath your wheels :)

I love this game. If I can't warez it easily, I'm going to dish out the clams to buy it.

http://www.ea.com/eagames/official/battlefield1942/home.jsp

Everyone download this game, so we can get some server action going.

ReaperFett
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:46:21 PM
It'd lag me to hell and back sadly. I have heard good things, and I really wish I could play fighter pilot online.

Darth Viscera
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:48:35 PM
Well yeah, but you need to ditch your 56k :)

ReaperFett
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:57:51 PM
And get a new processor.

And a 3d Card that isnt Voodoo.

And some RAM, so it isnt just above bare minimum

And..

Screw it, I can last :)

AmazonBabe
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:03:10 PM
I have the sp demo on my comp right now, and played it a few days ago. neato game. And with my new GeForce 4 vid card, it looks awesome. :D

Kelt Simoson
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:15:15 PM
Pretty cool game...i like Americans Army the best however, but my card only lets me play a few Online games before it cuts me out....but both are cool games...

ReaperFett
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:17:15 PM
Dont rub your VC in AB :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:08:50 PM
Horus is hooked on this game... he was telling me all about it last weekend.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:13:42 PM
Visc! I'll have it set up within the hour. Get on IM or something.

Lord Gue
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:29:12 PM
gah, I tried it a few days ago, my comp wouldnt play it, oh well, back to Counter Strike...

Dark Lord Dyzm
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:58:31 PM
Gue, try the Half-Life Mod Day of Defeat. Its WW2 also, Allies Vs. Axis, takes real skill at sneaking and peaking. Most shots will kill ya, just like in Real Life.

The Half-Life Mods are hours of free entertainment, buy half-life, and then you have over dozens of free, awesome mods you can download. But I'll also look into Battlefield, I like Games with Planes.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:07:14 PM
DOD is fun

Dark Lord Dyzm
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:20:14 PM
You play often?

I play (WAC)Tom's Sister ((216.83.49.6.27016) or (27015)) One is 24/7 dod_caen2 the other is a cycle. I go by the name Styker, after the new U.S. Military Attack Transports stationed at Fort Lewis (Right next door) I sometimes use Stuntman though.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:40:10 PM
I play spontaniously. At any time, Id play CS, Existence, Opera, AHL, Firearms or DOD exclusively for days on end, then change

Lord Gue
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:59:39 PM
Grrr, I dl'd it once but it wouldnt play, and last time I tried it craped out on me at 97%

I love CS though, especialy jeepathon, bunch of guys hop in and its a running death mobile.... Though I play on Khendons server most of the time

spose I should try to dl DoD again at some point...

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:54:36 PM
HL! God I played the first game during one day and reached this play in the desert where the ground is mined and theres a heli following you and never played again X_x too hard! :(

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:56:38 PM
I remember that part. I ran :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:00:49 PM
I can't find the exit!! ;_______; me soooooo lost I want to blow up that stupid heli!

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:03:41 PM
lol

Darth Viscera
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:21:10 AM
In many years, I've never been able to get CS to play.

Anyway, back on subject, no thread hijacking. Everyone who has bf1942 post here and we'll try and get a game together. I want to try my hand at artillery spotting again.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:35:54 AM
Hehehehe, gimmie a server name, I just played that game for 6-7 hours (from when I downloaded it right after I saw your post, to now)

I want Crazy Admiral on them, taking the ship and circling the island, bombarding it. Luckly, I had some good Defensive Aircraft to keep the skies friendly.

Fighting in a Plane is freaking hard, don't get me wrong, I love it, its just that you can hardly see anything and Dog Fights are just a waste of time. Though, Diving Down, Kamakazie Style into the Enemy Flattop with your Corsair is very entertaining

Darth Viscera
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:21:11 AM
what's your upload speed? maybe you can set up a server and put down the name and address here.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:47:52 AM
TTT and update!! This be a great game! Vis told me about BF1942 a few weeks ago, before I did my computer upgrade (Athlon XP2000 w/GeForce4200). We played the demo, and I liked it so much, I went to purchase the full version. Definitely value for money! It is the sort of game that starts off quietly, coming out of nowhere, and grows and grows until it is a legend on par with CS/UT/Q3 etc.

However, BF1942 is a whole lot more fun than those..

But before you read on, there will be a few words of warning. This game requires a rather beefy system, so if you got anything less than a 1Ghz processor and GeForce3, I would not even bother. There are some large maps, lots of detailed vehicles, buildings and terrain and up to 64 players at once. As you can imagine, it requires some serious hardware processing power.

You also obviously need an Internet connection, preferably a fast one, because this is a 100% multiplayer game. Yes, there is a single player game in there (a campaign even), but playing that would be missing the point entirely, and more importantly; missing out on all the fun.. and not just a little, I am talking bucketloads of it. Single player game is really for practicing your skills. The REAL game has thinking human team members and opponents using their IQ to outsmart their enemies. This is about cooperating and communication. The intelligent players win.

What did I like? Lets see;

* Flying & driving. The vehicles in this game are extremely fun to fly/drive, and just playing around with them is a game on its own. And there are a lot of them, 35 to be precise, all accurately modelled. Tanks? Check. APC's and Jeeps? Check. Fighters and bombers? Check. Aircraft carriers and destroyers? Check. Submarines? Check. Ever wanted to be the tail gunner of a B17.. the gunner of a mobile artillery unit or the captain of a battleship? Well, you can be all that and much more. And you can do some really cool stunts with them too.. doing James Bond style jumping from one plane to the other, flying upside down under bridges, driving jeeps off high cliffs releasing your parachute for a HALO jump etc etc. Most likely, you wont last long doing crazy stuff like that, but man, is it a blast!

* Large scale maps of actual conflict scenarios. Stalingrad, Midway, Omaha Beach etc, they are all here, 16 maps offering great variety. You will find that each map requires very different strategies and style of play. The intense infantery skirmishes on the streets of Berlin is for example very different to the tank and aircraft dominated battles on the large open deserts of El Alamein or the mountains and winding canyons of Gazala.

* Player classes. You may chose from basic classes, ranging from assault, scout, medic, antitank and engineer, each having their special traits. The antitank has a bazooka to take out armored vehicles. The medic can heal himself or others. The scout can spot targets for artillery or snipe targets from long distance. The engineer can place mines and explosives and repair vehicles. Each class has its strength and weaknesses. You may change class every time you get killed or by picking up the kits from fallen soldiers. The class being the most effective depends on the situation. For example, if there is a tank nearby, you might change to antitank. If you are driving vehicles a lot, you might want to be an engineer, repairing them as you travel. If your team calls for an artillery target, you might want to be a scout using your binoculars to spot the enemy base. Your team usually is a balanced mix of these classes in order to perform a wide range of tasks, cooperating and helping each others.

This concludes part 1 of my little review. Part 2 to follow..

Dark Lord Dyzm
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:37:35 PM
While Waiting for it, I shall play Battle of the Bulge. Panzer Rush is freaking awesome. But they need to fix it so Nades don't do so much damage to tanks, and bazooka's need a little more... strength. O yeah, all shots fired from vehicles seem to lack power, like they used a box of M-80's to launch it. You fire while gun is level, 100ft away the shell crashes to earth. Same with the battleships... The Battleship's of WW2 could fire a shell the size of a Volkswagon bug more then a (I think) 5 miles with decent accuracy. Could be different, I don't remember. After 5 miles it is just general bombardment.