PDA

View Full Version : Serious TTT spoilers and plot changes

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:19:42 PM
This is a seriously spoilage link.... do NOT follow if you do not want to be spoilt

http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_ttt.cfm

JMK
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:26:22 PM
But if you've read the book you can't really be spoiled, can you?

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:27:23 PM
I hate it when people do this to me. :cry

(Resists the urge to click)

But would you be able to tell me this, do you think the plot change(s) are too extreme and do you think they might spoil the storyline for Tolkien fans?

Admiral Lebron
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:29:21 PM
WTF @ Loki! o_O

JMK
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:33:39 PM
I did read a few of them, and it seems that they are inventing alot of their own plot devices at the expense of Tolkien's story. What's up with that?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:43:30 PM
Hmmm.

No Quickbeam!? :cry I could do without the rest, BUT I WANT QUICKBEAM! :cry :(

Admiral Lebron
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:45:37 PM
It has a 20% chance of being right. :)

ReaperFett
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:01:34 PM
read a small bit. Rather than say again, Ill paste some of an AIM convo:

ReaperFett: basically, it says the change
ReaperFett: what happens in the book
ReaperFett: the pros
ReaperFett: and the cons
ReaperFett: nearly EVERY con is "It wasnt in the books", or "They have to invent dialogue"
ReaperFett: SO?
ReaperFett: book-film NEEDS things like that
Gav Mortis: Without spoiling; are there any dramatic changes?
Gav Mortis: I agree with you on that
ReaperFett: nothing I really know
ReaperFett: some person dies who we assume dies, we see stuff
ReaperFett: nothing major
Gav Mortis: The person who dies - has that been changed from the book?
ReaperFett: well for example, the worst part of LOTR for me was when they were on the mountain, in the snow
ReaperFett: he just didnt die
ReaperFett: we never knew
ReaperFett: but they say they will go to the Dwarves keep
ReaperFett: and WHAM, theyre there
ReaperFett: HATE that
ReaperFett: should stick something in the middle

Figrin D'an
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:18:09 PM
You have to keep in mind, not everything on that site is 100% confirmed... a lot of it is speculation based upon little bits of info here and there. Some of the changes are confirmed (Elves at Helm's Deep, no Shelob until ROTK ), but a lot of "changes" are only guesses at this point.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:20:05 PM
It says how accurate it is beneath it I think.

Figrin D'an
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:27:17 PM
Right, the guy who puts the change lists together rates each change on a 1-5 scale, to give a relative value of how reliable the information is. If you look down the list, there is a lot of stuff that is in the 0-2 range...

Also... the change list for FOTR was considerably longer that the one for TTT. Some of the stuff is really picky, too... only stuff that a hardcore Tolkienite is going to notice. There are all kinds of little things that were changed in FOTR that most people, even many of those that read the book, didn't notice.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 26th, 2002, 11:32:27 PM
The thing about Saurman I thought was debunked, I read somewhere that Jackson and Lee said he would appear in ROTK, of course who knows how much has changed since then and I agree with you Figrin some of that stuff is very minor like a little changes in dialogue that doesn't bother me a bit.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 27th, 2002, 01:17:02 AM
If he doesn't appear in ROTK, then how will they portray the sacking of Hobbiton and the Sherrifs and all the...and the...!!!! Its vital!!! To my survival, at least.

Figrin D'an
Aug 27th, 2002, 01:24:42 AM
PJ has already said, in more than one interview, that the Scouring of the Shire will not be in ROTK, at least not in the theater cut of the film. So, Saruman will have to meet his doom at some other point in the story.

I'm not too crazy about this particular change, but I can see the filmmakers' point of view...

Lann Kirauc
Aug 27th, 2002, 02:15:55 AM
I guess PJ is permiting these changes for excitement however on the expense Tolkien canon but the sacking of the shire is quite dramatic as it is an awakening of the end of all that middle-earth once represented. It reveals a realm that has already been corrupted with change. PJ should not leave this critical part absent in the film with Mr. Sharkie (Saruman) and Wormtongue.
And the end of ROTK should not be ignored either. It is the most poignant episode in the whole LoTR saga. The departure of Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, Bilbo, Frodo, and many elven-folk. And with them the passing of the third age. I will be sorely disappointed if Quickbeam is absent. But alas, perhaps the books lack sparingly the needed climatic and dramatic sequences for cinema. This literature is written with a depth too difficult to be complete in film.

Lann Kirauc
Aug 27th, 2002, 02:18:29 AM
Delete double post

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 27th, 2002, 02:31:08 AM
*snifs*

Its my favorite part though. :(

Admiral Lebron
Aug 27th, 2002, 08:45:28 AM
I have yet to read Return of the King.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:22:51 PM
Better read it. >D

Admiral Lebron
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:26:56 PM
I will...during midterms. Just like with TTT.

ReaperFett
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:29:19 PM
Im avoiding reading it until the film

Daanarri Raurrssaatta
Aug 27th, 2002, 01:24:47 PM
You'll read it during the movie?? o_O

;)

ReaperFett
Aug 27th, 2002, 01:31:13 PM
Depends on if the film is dull ;)