PDA

View Full Version : College classes

Oishii Sakana
Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:45:02 PM
I'm disappointed. I was told college was hard! Today in class, we played Ultimate Frisbee and I am also a day ahead in my English class! I thought college was hard! What do you guys think?

Figrin D'an
Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:13:13 PM
1) Give it a few weeks, like until you get to your first set of midterms...

2) It greatly depends upon your major...

For me, college was rather difficult, but survivable once I learned good time management skills. However, I was also a ChE major at one of the top engineering schools in the nation. Many factors can affect a person's college experience...

Dae Jinn
Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:53:08 PM
I took graphic art and the only big problem i had was slacking off on major assignments. :\ Slacking twas not a good idea, cos I had very little time to get things done when they were supposed to be handed in :lol

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:02:36 AM
Know what? I found the same thing. It actually gets easier when you get up into the 3 and 400 level classes. Why? Well, I'm an English major, and all the 1-200 classes are survey classes, which means that they are a little bit of everything. I, however, am very good at shakespeare, and find that the classes that have a focus are easier because you are doing more of what you enjoy and are good at.

I like college SO much more than high school. The worst part of college is when people find out my age... and then treat me like a little kid. It's annoying.

Dae Jinn
Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:54:50 AM
College is SO much better than High school EVER was :)

Dwayne Hicks
Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:40:06 AM
School of any sort just plain sucks. I'm glad I'm out

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:58:36 AM
I got a monumental boot in the ass in my first few years. I seem to have gotten the hang of it now, that I know I suck at programming, and thus can find a different major ^_^;

(kudos to the business school of hard knocks)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:06:31 AM
-Ish scared of college-

Hunk
Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:16:02 PM
1 more year. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Too bad they save all the hardest engineering classes for the last year.

(Driving trains is hard, ya know)

Zeke
Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:44:47 PM
::doesnt go to college for a few more weeks:: Oh, fun fun. All my friends are in college or high school. I sit here and stare at the forums all day.

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:54:47 PM
:lol I am still undecided about my major...

I am interested in Psycology...but I really want to get into Police Science and whatnot and become an Officer like my mom....:D

Chance
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:01:53 PM
I get to take Phsycology in High School, Next semester to be infact!

:)

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:09:30 PM
That's cool...

I am taking advanced placement psychology all this year (my junior year)

But still...I am wavering between that and Police science...

What grade are you in Chance???

Sanis Prent
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:14:02 PM
Don't take psychology unless you don't mind working at Wal-Mart with your Bachelor's Degree. The only real way to make a living with that is to pursue all the way to your Doctorate.

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:27:07 PM
That's what I was planning on doing...but then being a Police Officer really caught my interest. The place I wish to work will hire me at 19 (two years from now) and I can work there and go to school at the same time for it. The only thing is...is that I'm afraid of guns and I have to qualify with one before I can begin. :( I hope that it all works out. It was either this...or my strange wish to work at NASA and be an Aerospace Engineer....that may be in the works still as well. I had my heart set on that as first until I started liking and exploring other things....(sigh) so many choices...not enough time.... :(

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:54:15 PM
:x @ aerospace

Cal 3 and beyond, Uberphysics, Statics, Dynamics, and likely some Mechanical Engineering and Metallurgical courses to boot.

Thats not a degree. Thats an enema.

Figrin D'an
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:55:57 PM
I have a college friend who worked for NASA as a co-op student (mechanical engineer). He hated it. The projects themselves were interesting, he said, but there is far too much bureaucracy to get any real work done, and the massive budget cuts that have hit the space program in recent years make it a less than ideal job environment. NASA tech development has provided some great innovations over the years, but I wouldn't go near them looking for a job right now.

And, to agree with Sanis... a B.A. in Psychology means jack squat... plan on graduate school, or plan on a different major.

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:00:14 PM
Well....looks like I'll be an officer! :lol

It pays very well where I am anywayz...starting off I'll be making $20 with awesome benefits. :D

Sounds like I'll go that way...even if there is a risk of being shot.... :( *crosses fingers* hope I don't die....

Ange Tot
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:03:55 PM
Bah, I plan on being a baker/chef, so that if I become famous I can go to japan and be on Iron Chef!

That's my future dream.....................

I know, it's sad isn't it?

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:11:40 PM
I write, draw, cook, and love history.

Those are hobbies. While I love them, I will never get a decent paying job with them.

Therefore, I am in the business school ^_^; and either going into Marketing or Finance, depending on this semester.

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:14:48 PM
My real dream is to get a bigger record deal the the small one I have now...I am not going anywhere with this singing thing unless that happens... *sigh* my evil manager won't make a move on a CD yet....*sigh again* and I can't break away from the company because then I would breach my contract...bah! :lol Oh well...it's better than nothing....hopefully I'll end up singing and I won't have to worry about being shot and killed! :lol

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:24:18 PM
I'm so cavalier about my own life...I honestly wouldn't mind taking a job with a high mortality rate.

Salemn Lysce
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:24:30 PM
Hey, Xazor, you sing, too ? My mom is already hooking me up with some people in the music industry (she pratically knows everyone, since she used to run a modeling agency and sang techno .. Lmao).

I, however, make my own music (heavy metal, punk, grundge). ^_^

You gotta P.M. me and tell me more about this "cd" of yours. :)

Xazor Elessar
Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:33:42 PM
Yes I do, chica! :D

I write my own lyrics...but I have a problem putting music in the background so that's what my evil manager is supposed to be doing right now...but he's been "busy"...pfft.... :lol

I sing pop/rock stuff....pretty cool some of my songs are....I'm working on copywriting stuff currently. Man that takes a long time and it's expensive!!

I'll PM you about it soon...gotta do some junk online...bah... :lol

Ange Tot
Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:06:32 PM
Deigo-It may be a hobby to you, but living about 20 min drive i bad traffic near Niagara Falls mean I could be a cook and get a good paying job as well. :mneh

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:07:57 PM
I could do this also, but I would have to go to culinard, get work, and slowly make my way up the ladder before the pay started getting really decent.

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:12:02 PM
Soo Xaz... Where can one find your music?

Also, your major, you can always do a minor in psychology. Just find what you like to do now and try to make a career out of it. Unfortunatly, being a Jedi is not offered as a Major in most universities. There goes my future.

Oishii Sakana
Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:50:12 PM
Wow...look at everyone spill their guts about their future. I'm going into biomedical engineering. That';s why all this easy stuff caught me off guard. I hope I can hold up when it get's harder. It;s so cool to listen to everyone talk about their careers/futures like this.

Chase Starwalker
Aug 24th, 2002, 10:39:10 AM
I'm a Pre-Management major in the College of Business and Economics....

My future plans: Win the lottery :)

Aug 24th, 2002, 10:45:14 AM
Nice plans Im sure youll suceed.

Chase Starwalker
Aug 24th, 2002, 12:10:19 PM
I hope so.

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 24th, 2002, 06:05:41 PM
I can write a statistics thesis to show that you won't :)

Oishii Sakana
Aug 25th, 2002, 06:00:07 PM
Let's not...lol...Well, I am starting my 2nd week of college. My roommate can no longer be trusted. He stole my drinks...or some of them. I want to get out of here.

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 25th, 2002, 06:27:58 PM
Sometimes roomies do that. :\

Oishii Sakana
Aug 25th, 2002, 09:04:17 PM
But all the same. I am going to try to get as far ahead in my classes as I can. College.... (Shudders)

Zeke
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:02:59 PM
::isn't going until September:: I'm gonna study 2D animation and make cartoons. The last time I told someone that, they slammed me. Now I must prove that I will succeed mightily, and slam them all with my first animated frames! Muahahahaa....neato.

Chase Starwalker
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:58:17 PM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
I can write a statistics thesis to show that you won't :)

:p Don't say that!

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 26th, 2002, 12:02:47 AM
Statistics was one of my favorite classes, you know. :)

Diego Van Derveld
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:31:15 AM
I loved it. My professor was like Jeff Foxworthy's genius twin or something. The most important thing you can learn in that class, aside from a serious case of consumer smarts, is the scientific ability to quantify how much of a fool somebody is.

Hart
Aug 26th, 2002, 10:19:53 AM
I'll be a freshman in college in the beginning of September too. Looking forward to it.

Oishii Sakana
Aug 26th, 2002, 02:47:25 PM
You kids have fun. But not too much fun that you don;t get enough sleep, or enough study time. My professoors say to spend 2 hours of time outside the classroom studying for every hour in class.

Hart
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:07:42 PM
I guess that makes sense. Well, that would be a GOOD study habit, for a change...

Oishii Sakana
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:37:08 PM
Oh yeah. Alot of people I know were intimidated by it, but it isn;t that hard if you are diligent.

Hart
Aug 26th, 2002, 06:40:50 PM
I hope I am. I need to get my act together once classes start, or else I'll be left in the dust of all the brainiacs here.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:37:28 PM
College is wierd. You have more free time than you know what to do with.

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:18:08 PM
o_o......College looks cool then

Hart
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:44:52 PM
It would be cool to join a frat without going to college.

Chase Starwalker
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:13:16 PM
Yeap. The whole "Classes" thing just messes up the fun.