PDA

View Full Version : The Clone Wars

Doc Milo
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:26:05 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but before the prequels, I had always envisioned the Clone Wars to be a noble Jedi war, where they defeated an evil army of clone warriors bent on the destruction of the galaxy.

Now, the Clone Wars we see are one-sided, all in favor of Palpatine. It's an awfully big twist from what I always thought they were. We have the Jedi serving in the Clone Wars pretty much sealing their own, and the galaxy's doom.

Not complaining. I like the irony of it.

Just commenting on how some of those things we always thought were a certain way from watching the OT are actually quite different.

(And may be the cause of why some "die hard old school" Star Wars fans are upset with the prequels....)

Admiral Lebron
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:52:34 AM
I thought it be like that too. Much like the flavor that they made in I, Jedi. I thought it be like that.

JMK
Aug 16th, 2002, 01:08:54 PM
Me too, I always thought it was going to be a good vs evil type battle. I was not expecting the ironic twist that are the Clone Wars.

Jedieb
Aug 16th, 2002, 06:45:56 PM
It would have been interesting to see how the Clone Wars would have been portrayed if the prequels had been done or written right after the OT. The Seperatist movement seems like something GL came up with for the Prequels. I think the Clone Wars were a vague idea back in the days of the OT. The story could have gone in many different directions.

I just wonder if the Clone Wars, and not Palpatine and Vader will be responsible for the fall of the Jedi. The OT always gave the impression that those two were ones who killed off the majority of the Jedi. I just don't want to see a sanitized Vader. He's one of the greatest villians in screen history. Can't we see him play the part?

CMJ
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:33:36 PM
God I hope so Eb. :)

JMK
Aug 16th, 2002, 09:48:53 PM
Amen to that. I want to see Vader mercilessly slaughter Jedi. It would be difficult to watch, but necessary IMO.

Doc Milo
Aug 17th, 2002, 02:03:21 AM
I remember GL saying before TPM came out that betrayal was going to be a major theme in the prequels. I'm wondering if we may see Anakin lead the Jedi to a place where they can be outnumbered and slaughtered, instead of actually going out and killing them all by himself. He may betray the Jedi, and lead them to the slaughter....

JMK
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:32:43 AM
That's another good idea. It would also lend credence to Obi Wan's "cunning warrior" description of Anakin. I'm just so curious to see what makes Anakin betray the Jedi so quickly and severely. Yeah, he blames Obi-Wan for holding him back, and he does seem to have a problem with authority. But apparently alot of the other Jedi are arrogant as well. What will Palpatine do to Anakin that will make him turn like that?

Doc Milo
Aug 17th, 2002, 01:32:55 PM
Hmmm. I wonder... if Palpatine sets up the Jedi to seem like they're the cause of some trouble. Perhaps in their fighting of the Clone Wars they discover the truth, and at the close of the war turn against the Supreme Chancellor -- or even have to fight the war on two fronts, one against the separatists, the other against the Republic. Maybe they become the founders of the Rebellion, or the spark that ignites the fire of the rebellion.

Palpatine can then make them seem to the public to be some kind of vigilante force that wants to take over the Republic for themselves. He, of course, continues to "guide" Anakin, and Anakin starts believing that Palpatine is right about the Jedi. He knows he is the one to bring balance, and maybe Palpatine knows this prophecy too, and he uses that prophecy to convince Anakin that the Jedis' turn on the Republic is because of their lack of balance. Anakin comes to hate the Jedi -- not only because of their turn on the Republic, but because of their lack of support for his marriage to Amidala... perhaps they expel, or threaten to expel him because of that relationship.... Palpatine helps him train in the dark side, and Anakin becomes more powerful doing so (because he is using the dark side, the Force is easier to use, especially since the Jedi ability to use the Force has been diminished) and he sees this as a quick way to complete his training and fulfill his destiny to bring balance. But, once he starts down the dark path, forever will it dominate his destiny...

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 01:41:17 PM
I think that sounds right Doc, I also wonder if Anakin might think Padme is dead and Palpatine blames the Jedi for it, that could be enough to get him to lead them to there deaths. Also I think there will be Jedi left at the end of Ep 3 for Vader to hunt down, the Jedi are spread all over the galaxy and I am sure there will be some still alive at the end of EP 3 but then Vader will hunt them all down between Ep 3 and 4, still I doubt that any of these will be Jedi we know by name, I figure most of them, except Yoda and Obi-Wan, will go down in 3.

JMK
Aug 17th, 2002, 03:33:37 PM
I've always thought that the Jedi would be framed somehow by Palpatine, and that the entire galaxy would turn against them. I think that someone early on will figure out that Palpy is Sidious, and that the trouble will start from there.

JediBoricua
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:56:18 PM
1010 days left, and there is a new theory every week. How in hell are we ever going to wait so long! We will have made 100 different movies by then, and they will probably be all wrong! God I love these movies...

Sorry just my daily Star Wars catharsis! Carry on.

Starquest aka AndyR
Aug 20th, 2002, 01:26:01 PM
i think there were hints in the holonet news site. there were all these "articles" about the anti-jedi sentiment in the republic. With that in mind, I'll bet palpatine does indeed frame the jedi like JMK said.
Maybe palpatine will sabotage a large battle and blame the jedi "generals" for the defeat...

can't wait.

Rinoa Heartilly
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:27:23 AM
Now that I've seen Lucas' representation on the clone wars, I think that then Sith Wars with Exar Kun woulda been a lot cooler...I mean, how can you not like thousands of jedi hacking each other to pieces?

Palpatine doesn't seem evil or scheeming, either...just some amused smirk on his face from time to time...I never get the feeling that he's evil...

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:26:00 PM
It's always the quiet ones.

JMK
Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:56:47 PM
Very true. He's definetly been behind the scenes more than anything, but there have been definite references to his evil ways. I suspect he'll come to the forefront in a big way in Episode 3 and no one will question whether they think he's a baddie or not...

Rinoa Heartilly
Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:20:15 AM
My favorite quote from the movie..well, one of them:

"It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling," Palpatine began. "I love democracy-I love the Republic. I am mild by nature and do not desire to see the destruction of democracy. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated..." -Palpatine, Star Wars Episode II book...

...how's that for a lie? Almost as good a quote as:

"Senators!" Jar Jar called. "Dellow Felegates-"

...ever realise that Jar Jar was the one that pretty much caused the destruction of the Republic? I don't think anybody can hate him more, though...

JMK
Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:02:02 AM
Yeah, I found it amazing that such an idiot could have been the one to have made such a crucial decision for the galaxy.

Rinoa Heartilly
Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:58:30 PM
I find it more amazing they actually let him on the stand...

JMK
Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:33:24 PM
I'm surprised that he didn't fall off the stand and take everyone with him!:p

:lol

BUFFJEDI
Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:53:10 PM
:lol

Rinoa Heartilly
Sep 4th, 2002, 02:55:13 AM
lol, he probably did, and Lucas had to retake it, which is why the movie took so damn long to come out.